Home
Douglas – The Wyoming Game and Fish Department recently closed a poaching case in Converse County Circuit Court. On March 13, 2017, Ricky J. Mills, 37, and Jimmy G. Duncan, 25 pled no contest to numerous wildlife violations totaling over $30,000 in fines. Mills and Duncan are from Bedford, Kentucky. The case started with a tip from a concerned Wyoming citizen who watched the two defendants on a hunting show called "Hunting in the Sticks" that aired on national television. In the episode "Western Redemption," Mills and Duncan are seen harvesting two bull elk in Wyoming. The concerned citizen noticed that the area they claimed to have killed their elk, did not match the area of their licenses. An investigator from the Wyoming Game and Fish Department's Investigative Unit and Douglas Game Warden Rod Lebert opened the case and began an exhaustive search for the kill sites north of Douglas in the Cow Creek Buttes and Miller Hills areas. When the first kill site was located, they collected evidence and a solid case was built against the poachers. "This case could not have been made without the assistance of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources agents," said Mike Ehlebracht, investigative supervisor for the Wyoming Game and Fish. "Through search warrants and interviews we were able to make a case and both men confessed." At the conclusion of the investigation, it was determined that in 2014 while deer hunting in Deer Hunt Area 10 in northern Converse County, Mills and Duncan each killed a mature bull elk on private property. Both men also had elk licenses that same year, but the licenses were valid for Elk Hunt Area 51, which is in extreme northwest Wyoming bordering Yellowstone National Park, not for Elk Hunt Area 113 where they shot the elk. Elk Hunt Area 113 is a highly coveted hunt area with very few licenses. In this hunt area, bulls are only allowed to be harvested every other year. It was also discovered that the two defendants attempted to do the same thing in 2013. Other evidence showed that Duncan harvested an antelope buck in September 2013 without a license. The two were also charged with waste of big game animals in connection with the two illegally harvested elk, along with a small game violation. Ricky Mills was sentenced to pay $7,460 in fines, $6,000 in restitution for the bull elk he killed, $240 in court costs and lost his hunting privileges for 15 years. Mills will be entered into the Wildlife Violator Compact which will prevent him from hunting and trapping in 43 participating states. Jimmy Duncan was sentenced to pay $7,500 in fines, $6,000 in restitution for the bull elk he killed, $4,000 in restitution for the antelope in 2013 and $240 in court costs. He was also suspended for 15 years from hunting and trapping and will be entered into the Wildlife Violator Compact. The elk mounts from both Duncan and Mills were forfeited to the Game and Fish. "I
Words fail me.
wow unreal!
These fines are not near heavy enough for this kind of crap!
And I sure hope they are never on TV again.
Hard to imagine being stupid enough to film your poaching and then airing it...
Originally Posted by jnyork
At the conclusion of the investigation, it was determined that in 2014 while deer hunting in Deer Hunt Area 10 in northern Converse County, Mills and Duncan each killed a mature bull elk on private property.

Were they trespassing, too, or is there the possibility of some landowner complicity?

I also found a quote on another website, which expresses something that I said on a prior thread involving TV poachers:

“I believe the two defendants were driven to get kill-shot footage for the television show, and that resulted in their making bad decisions,” Mike Ehlebracht, investigative supervisor for the Wyoming Game and Fish, said via a department news release.

Turn something special into a business and it loses something.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Start the fines at 50K up with immediate forfeiture of vehicles, trailers, ATV's, equipment, riding and pack livestock and the chit will cease.
Originally Posted by gunner500

Start the fines at 50K up with immediate forfeiture of vehicles, trailers, ATV's, equipment, riding and pack livestock and the chit will cease.

Naw.... that would definitely sloooow it way down, but there is always a democrat somewhere, hunting!

Yep! No doubt about it!!
Originally Posted by Oldman03

Naw.... that would definitely sloooow it way down, but there is always a democrat somewhere, hunting!

Some of them post here!... whistle

That consistently amazes me. How desperate some people are to get their dumb ass on TV that they'd film AND air their poaching for the world to see. I hope they enjoyed their 15 minutes of fame because it morphed into 15 years of suspended license. Idiots
Musta been good friends of Bill Busbice and learned from him ! I'll say this though, if they were looking to "one up" Bill, they certain did a fine job.
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Originally Posted by jnyork
At the conclusion of the investigation, it was determined that in 2014 while deer hunting in Deer Hunt Area 10 in northern Converse County, Mills and Duncan each killed a mature bull elk on private property.

Were they trespassing, too, or is there the possibility of some landowner complicity?

I also found a quote on another website, which expresses something that I said on a prior thread involving TV poachers:

“I believe the two defendants were driven to get kill-shot footage for the television show, and that resulted in their making bad decisions,” Mike Ehlebracht, investigative supervisor for the Wyoming Game and Fish, said via a department news release.

Turn something special into a business and it loses something.

Yes, like farming big game animals and selling them. There ought to be a law.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Oldman03

You mean some sorry assed cowardice no talent chicken-chit poaching demo-pons post here?
Originally Posted by Sharpsman

Yep! No doubt about it!!

Were I a poacher that'd GD sure give me pause NOT too. wink
frown frown

You mean some sorry assed cowardice no talent chicken-chit poaching demo-pons post here?

You got it! smile

That's them.

A few newcomers too.

That's why it will continue.

Those fines didn't phase those boys one bit but the 15 years of no hunting really hurt, problem is they can still hunt in the states that don't participate in the Wildlife Violator Compact program.

You got it! smile

That's them.

A few newcomers too.

Well, we all know poachers are no talent hunters, if they enact heavy fines, those pussies will have to sell their guns and start eating fuggin bermuda grass for supper. wink
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Those fines didn't phase those boys one bit but the 15 years of no hunting really hurt, problem is they can still hunt in the states that don't participate in the Wildlife Violator Compact program.

You bet Mag, like Steelie said, about like swatting an elephant in the ass with a fiddle. grin
Take away the privilege. If you start supporting those extravagant fines, you'll eventually lose your truck for failing to buy a conservation stamp. Government will happily increase the fines, and still spend $2 for each additional dollar they bring in.

And.......Game and Fish monies will go to the general fund when things get worse. They will.

Heavy fines for blatantly planned, conspired, serious offenses, not for forgetting to put on your orange, but I do see your point, barriers would have to be written into the new laws.
When money and/or fame is involved, ethics can go out the window with some people.

Remember Kirt Darner?

And, back in the 80's, Don Lewis from Alabama was making archery Elk hunting videos for sale. He made it look easy, calling in big bulls left and right.

In one of the videos, behind the 'hero' with a big bull, there was a unique rock outcropping, which a viewer recognized as being in the middle of Yellowstone NP. He got busted, of course.

Compact numbers have changed Hawaii and Massachusetts are the only two states not in the compact now.
Originally Posted by k22hornet
When money and/or fame is involved, ethics can go out the window with some people.

Remember Kirt Darner?

And, back in the 80's, Don Lewis from Alabama was making archery Elk hunting videos for sale. He made it look easy, calling in big bulls left and right.

In one of the videos, behind the 'hero' with a big bull, there was a unique rock outcropping, which a viewer recognized as being in the middle of Yellowstone NP. He got busted, of course.

Kurt Danner did not turn bad... he started that way and just lost ground... the guy that first noticed one of Darner's biggest deer was a flipped photo of an old, well-known trophy is a friend... the effort put into showing his trophies were not honest was amazing...
Why is it when someone is caught trespassing, fine monies go to government. Why not the land-owner?

Restitution for the bull elk? Why aren't these funds sent to Wyoming (and even non-resident) hunters at the end of the year?

To bowhunt elk on the west side of Wyoming, it takes:
1. tag
2. special elk management permit
3. conservation stamp
4. archery permit
5.(born after 1966....hunter safety proof if you go back for the rifle opener)

Alot of possible gotcha's, by design.

If we demand more punishment, they'll happily comply (and you'll have to hire a lawyer to read the game regs).

Heavy fines for blatantly planned, conspired, serious offenses, not for forgetting to put on your orange, but I do see your point, barriers would have to be written into the new laws.

Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
Why is it when someone is caught trespassing, fine monies go to government. Why not the land-owner?

Restitution for the bull elk? Why aren't these funds sent to Wyoming (and even non-resident) hunters at the end of the year?

To bowhunt elk on the west side of Wyoming, it takes:
1. tag
2. special elk management permit
3. conservation stamp
4. archery permit

Alot of possible gotcha's, by design.

I agree, and will admit my feeling towards G&F outfits is akin to them being fed and state funded gestapo, I follow the rules and avoid the fu-k out of them.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
That consistently amazes me. How desperate some people are to get their dumb ass on TV

Look at the amount of dumbasses on You Tube,

This is a classic........Why she wanted to be famous for eating ass I have no idea but she is for life.

Originally Posted by k22hornet

Remember Kirt Darner?

I saw that video and knew the area well. He had footage that I knew was Gibbon Meadows in the park. I saw where he got busted not long after that. If I remember correctly he got busted because he was in the Book Cliffs area of Utah prior to season open. Someone provided a description of his truck and he was stopped and still had a couple of big bucks in his possession.
Sounds well deserved.
If you want to nail the TV guys, tack on a loss of license for a couple of years. Most states are now reciprocal, so they wouldn't be able to hunt anywhere.

Compact numbers have changed Hawaii and Massachusetts are the only two states not in the compact now.

I was about to ask... I guess we know where those boys would be airing a show next... but I bet sponsors a a bit thin right now.

Besides being Dumass strongholds, WTF is wrong with their F&G Depts that they haven't joined?
Good deal, glad they brought them to justice. The hunting shows tend to breed this sort of thing. A number of years, a fellow bought a place a few miles down the road from me, and after talking to him, I found out that he had a hunting show on the Outdoor Channel. He and his hunting partners filmed mostly whitetail hunts all over this part of the country. I watched his show a few times, and wasn't very impressed, and suspected it was pretty much a fly by night operation. It ended when one of them fell out of a tree in another state and was severely injured. They immediately dissolved the operation and left the country owing a ton of money. How do I know?.......mail carriers know more about you than anyone else.
They can still hunt in Nebraska.

[Linked Image]
Same map available on here, but...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_Wildlife_Violator_Compact

Here is what it says a little farther down the page...

Non-Member States[edit]
These (2) states are, as of June, 2017, not members of the IWVC: Hawaii and Massachusetts.

State legislation is pending in Massachusetts to enter the Commonwealth into the IWVC and to update penalties for existing wildlife crimes, including elevating fines, jail time, and license suspensions. Entering the IWVC will prevent wildlife violators who have lost their hunting, trapping, or fishing privileges in member states from going to Massachusetts to circumvent their license revocations and preventing Massachusetts residents who have lost their licenses from going out of state to evade punishment. The legislation also creates heightened penalties for chronic poachers and those who kill animals for pure thrill, to give the Massachusetts Environmental Police an additional tool to target those who intentionally and repeatedly disregard the laws in place to protect wildlife.
Originally Posted by las

I was about to ask... I guess we know where those boys would be airing a show next... but I bet sponsors a a bit thin right now.

Besides being Dumass strongholds, WTF is wrong with their F&G Depts that they haven't joined?

Hawaii is not currently involved in joining, but hunting there is mostly about eradicating exotics...
Sounds like they got less than they deserved.

Good news.
Special penalties should be in place for those that profit from poaching.

Unfortunately not a man in Dubois years ago lost a helicopter to game and fish. He was herding elk to his son.Ithink he bought it back at the auction for 65K if i remember correctly. Complained to the paper that game and fish ruined his bussiness by busting him .Always wondered the rest of the story like how do you sell a 500k helicopter back to him for pennies on the dollar.

Add in all A/V equipment.
jnyork: Please use paragraphs next time. Makes it easier to read.

Signed,
Grammar Nazi
Glad they caught them. Most of the TV hunting shows are garbage.
© 24hourcampfire