Home
The extermination of White Southern culture continues unabated in the South - a legacy of The Halfrican and his divisive anti-White presidency.

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/...onuments-starts-uncivil-war-words-dallas

July 21, 2017

Less than five miles from Dallas City Hall -- in a South Dallas community that's home to mostly black and Latino residents -- rests a three-quarter-acre tract of land where at least 55 Confederate soldiers are buried.

Not many people know it's there.

Located at the corner of Electra and Reed streets, right off Malcolm X. Boulevard, the cemetery's been there for more than a century.

This also happens to be one spot Dallas officials are looking at as a potential location for the Robert E. Lee statue now in Oak Lawn's Lee Park and the Confederate War Memorial in Pioneer Park Cemetery downtown.

Nothing has been decided yet. It's just an idea. And I'll come back to it after I explain why we need to talk about where Confederate bodies are buried. ((BS - it's already been decided))

Blame Mayor Mike Rawlings if you want.

The public conversation he wanted to start about what Dallas should do with the two Confederate statues in city parks didn't take long to go south. It ripped the bandage off an old wound about the institution of slavery and the intentions of those who want to honor those who fought on the losing side of the Civil War.

It may get worse before it gets better.

And it has to get better: After I wrote about the mayor's request to get a new group focused on racial reconciliation in Dallas to put this on its agenda, a rhetorical civil war broke out.

Both sides grabbed their modern-day bayonets -- social media -- and dug in.

One camp, led by a growing cadre of social justice activists, wants to see all symbols of the Confederacy wiped away or hauled off to a museum.

The other camp, including organized groups such as the Sons of Confederate Veterans, doesn't want the city to touch any of the tributes. They say the old monuments and school names should be left in place because they reflect America's -- and Dallas' -- history.

Now you understand why the city of New Orleans, which recently uprooted all four of its Confederate statues after the City Council there declared them a public nuisance, nearly exploded in violence over this.

We don't want that hostility in Dallas. That's why the mayor's strategy makes sense: He has city officials looking to see how other cities, states and schools have responded to Confederate symbols. And he's calling for a public discussion before any formal decision is made.

But folks on both sides, including many I respect, don't want a protracted fight.

The Rev. Michael Waters, a senior pastor of Joy Tabernacle AME Church and one of the leaders of Faith Forward Dallas, said it's clear what the city should do.

"The fact that bringing down monuments to treason and slavery must be debated is itself the height of white supremacy," Waters wrote on my Facebook page. "What is there to debate?"

He's joined by historian Michael Phillips, author of White Metropolis: Race, Ethnicity, and Religion in Dallas, 1841-2001.

"It's time to exorcise the ghosts of the Confederacy that haunt Dallas," Phillips wrote in an article for The Dallas Morning News.

Phillips is gathering signatures -- at least 32 so far -- from area scholars and religious leaders on an "Open Letter" he plans to give to the mayor, City Council and Dallas school district officials, calling for the removal of all Confederate symbols.

"Monuments in public spaces represent what the city, county, state or nation seeks to represent as its core beliefs," the letter reads. "Monuments work to shape identity."

He said every Confederate monument "standing today loudly proclaims that ... the enduring values of this place, this city, and this people is white supremacy."

But John McCammon, 1st Lt. Commander of the Texas Division of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, fired back.

"That is a false narrative," McCammon told WFAA-TV. "It is in no way celebrating slavery."

McCammon is against the push to remove monuments or erase Confederate names from schools. "History should not be erased, good or bad," he said.

That brings us back to the Confederate Cemetery in Dallas. As city cultural and parks officials began looking at how other cities and states have been dealing with Confederate monuments, they saw the cemetery in South Dallas as a natural fit.

Dallas County once owned the land as part of a six-acre tract southeast of the historic Oakland Cemetery; but in 1904, the county set aside three-fourths of an acre for the burial of ex-Confederate soldiers. It deeded the land to the city in 1936, and 40 years later, the park department assumed maintenance responsibilities.

Moving the Confederate statues here seems like a reasonable option -- again, if we can get to that point.

"It's so early," said Jennifer Scripps, director of the city's office of cultural affairs and one of the staffers leading the research on this. "But many cities have done similar things."

Makes sense to me. So does the public art staff's recommendation that the Confederate artworks at Fair Park -- the Confederate Medallion and The Confederacy statue -- be left alone because they are part of "the historical document of the history of Texas."

No matter what the city decides, there's no way the opposing camps will ever agree.

The most we can hope for is that they remain civil.
At the same time.....tear down all of the MLK avenue/street signs!

Those are RACIST!!
Originally Posted by Sharpsman

Those are RACIST!!

Yep. Michael King was a serial adulterer, beat women, and plagiarized everything he "wrote" and had a coterie of communists swirling around him. Shouldn't a serial domestic woman-beater be expunged from the national landscape?

The sad part is that it's White race traitors who are leading the charge to tear down symbols of their own heritage/culture.

Whilst I am not American and therefore my opinion holds no sway on this matter, I am of the view that as a nation the USA has a displayed history and monuments that are second to none, these are what give a nation it's place in the world and context to it's people...right or wrong the history is the people and any that attempt to remove that identity should be taken out to the street and flogged to death.
Well, Stuart, your opinion will have the same impact on what happens as mine.
I suspect that 100 years from now, if not sooner, there will be no trace whatsoever of the Confederacy and the Southern culture that went with it. What a shame that will be. Screw these damn liberals and minorities that want to change history.
Wait a minute.........

If we totally wipe out history , I mean TOTALLY , then who are the jigaboos gonna blame ?

Mike
I will be called a Yankee here real soon, IDGAF.

I could forget the Civil War,

if,

the blacks forget slavery, move on, go to work, and take responsibility for themselves.

But I demand too much.
It's a gniggers world!
Hmmm....Maybe they could blame those who sold them into slavery. What a concept! That would be other Negroes. They seem to think, if they are capable of such, that evil white men with nets captured them and drug them away from a peaceful life. Factual truth is that they were captured by other tribes and sold to slave traders as spoils of war by other Negroes. Even"politically correct" revisionists cannot deny this fact; though they readily ignore it. History is what it is. Some may not like this and others may not like that. So what? Get over it. Facts are facts. How can mankind possibly progress if we refuse to learn anything from our experiences?
This is the exact strife that people on the left who fund it want in our society...

one side pitted against the other...

George Soros is getting exactly what he is spending his money on.
We have been fighting this same issue here in Gainesville. Back in 1904, The United Daughters of the Confederacy group gave a statue to the County, to commemorate the Southern War Dead. For many years, it has stood next to the County Courthouse.
Now our fair city is very, very liberal, and the County is about 25% black, a demographic that the liberal dhimmicrat County and City cater to exclusively. The County finally got the gumption to say "Old Joe" had to go.
The UDC along with the SCV, has battled this effort for years. We did get the approval to remove the Statue ourselves, and to not have it destroyed like the blacks were pushing for..
http://www.alligator.org/news/article_3cec17d0-6ce4-11e7-aeeb-e3e42aa83b81.html
I wonder how long before New Orleans thinks to abolish anything that commemorates their favorite son Jean Laffite. He helped Andrew Jackson save the city from the invading British but his main occupation was smuggling into the U.S.captured slaves bound for South America. There is a lot of stuff named after him, even a town.
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Originally Posted by Sharpsman

Those are RACIST!!

Yep. Michael King was a serial adulterer, beat women, and plagiarized everything he "wrote" and had a coterie of communists swirling around him. Shouldn't a serial domestic woman-beater be expunged from the national landscape?

The sad part is that it's White race traitors who are leading the charge to tear down symbols of their own heritage/culture.

Who's Micheal King?

KMS - "Who's Micheal King? "

He's old man King's boy. Lives down the road a'piece. wink

L.W.
The blacks should forget slavery. None of them were ever slaves, the ones living today. They should go to work and take responsibility for themselves.
My dad used to say that if all the money was taken from the rich people and given to the poor that the rich would have it back in 5 years.

I believe that the non reflectives will continue to fail massively and that the melanin deprived will continue to evolve.

mike r
Just look at the african countries run by them.
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
The blacks should forget slavery. None of them were ever slaves, the ones living today. They should go to work and take responsibility for themselves.

Work to most blacks is slavery and is something they're not accustomed or agreeable to. Just wonder how long this great nation can continue to support them from cradle to grave.
They, having the IQ of an ape, we can't expect too much productivity, however, due to affirmative action for years, they have moved into upper management positions, and have job security until pension time. A damn shame.
Originally Posted by lvmiker
My dad used to say that if all the money was taken from the rich people and given to the poor that the rich would have it back in 5 years.

mike r

If all the money on earth were divided equally amongst all the people on earth everybody would have about $9000 and money would be worthless.

Mike
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I will be called a Yankee here real soon, IDGAF.
I could forget the Civil War,
if,
the blacks forget slavery, move on, go to work, and take responsibility for themselves.
But I demand too much.

I have lived in the south my whole life....all over the south from Alabama to KY, mostly in VA....and I agree 100%. White or black, trying to live in the past, is like keeping your head up your azz. Prosperity lies in the future, for those that want to achieve it.

Every soldier of the Confederacy and every black that was a slave, are long dead. Very few living can even remember having known such a person, and they themselves would be very old now. We are no longer honoring memories, because we have no memory of such things....some people are trying to live out a history that is not there own. And IMO that serves no legitimate purpose.

In the county I live in, if you drive around you will see battle flags hanging off trailers all over the place. Why? I don't know. They started popping up in droves when the controversy of the flag reignited after Dylan Roof murdered those church people. Then Niki Haley took down the flag at the SC capitol. Half the flaggers don't have roots in the south going back as far as the civil war. Most of them are unemployed or underemployed, on welfare, methheads, etc. How is this honoring the south? It is more like a statement of "My life sucks but eff you too."

The battle flag largely disappeared from the time of Appomattox until the KKK revived in the WWI time period, and Jim Crow embraced during the fight for segregation.

Controversy over the flag has brought other more benign relics into controversy, and I think that is too bad. Monuments to Confederate soldiers, Confederate cemeteries and most of the statues should not be a problem, and probably would not have been issue but for the flag issue. Naming public schools after Confederates is something that's time has gone as well, IMO.

Civil War history is fascinating. But lets look to the future.
Originally Posted by KMS
Who's Micheal King?

I think he was Rodney's brother.
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by KMS
Who's Micheal King?

I think he was Rodney's brother.

Yes, rotknee kang, got millions, died near broke od'd and drowned in a swimming pool, the intelligence is blindingly numbing. smirk
The Negro figured out a long time ago that if he plays his cards right, he can get something for nothing.....well, almost nothing, anyway. As a people, they have never been too enthused about work, mostly because their African ancestors didn't really have to work. They lived in a place where the climate was suitable for year round growing conditions, and food from plant and animals was abundant. It wasn't a cold climate, and they didn't have the chore that people in the northern climates did in order to survive.

After the Civil Rights Act was passed, and the Democrats stole them away from the GOP, they began to exchange their votes for freebies......welfare checks, food stamps, subsidized housing, Medicaid, Affirmative Action, all of which served to destroy what their was of the so called Black family. Black women figured out real quick that the more kids they had, the more money and free stuff they could get, providing that they didn't have a man in the picture. Oh, it was alright for the man to come around at night for breeding purposes, but he needed to maintain a low profile in order for her lifestyle to continue. As time has gone by, they have refined their system of making a living in exchange for voting Democrat.

All of which brings us to the current trend of the Negro wanting the Confederate memorials and statues removed. They know that their number one weapon is white guilt. Make the White man feel bad about something, and they'll get something out of it......for nothing, because all they had to do was complain. Give most of them a test and ask them who Robert E. Lee was, and they'll probably say he was a rapper, and that Stonewall Jackson was an offensive lineman in the NFL. The majority of the Negro population is ignorant of the reasons that these memorials were put up in the first place. It hadn't nothing to do with slavery, they were simply a way of honoring brave men who died fighting for a cause that deemed worthy.......and most of them didn't own a slave.

So, what will the Negro gain by a statue of Robert E. Lee being removed? Oh, they might put a statue of Snoop Dog in it's place, and make him feel better. Or, maybe they'll name another road after MLK, or a school. But, in reality, he isn't going to benefit one iota. All it serves to do is widen the breach between him and me, because I see such things as a slap in the face of those of us who see the historical side of this issue. If I had my way, the next time some Negro agitator wants a Confederate statue removed, I'd say okay.......just as long as you let me stick that statue up your ass....sideways.
Originally Posted by readonly
Every soldier of the Confederacy and every black that was a slave, are long dead. Very few living can even remember having known such a person, and they themselves would be very old now. We are no longer honoring memories, because we have no memory of such things....some people are trying to live out a history that is not there own. And IMO that serves no legitimate purpose.

So what does Memorial Day mean to you? Just an excuse to take off a Monday in May and have a barbecue?

Yes, every soldier and every slave from that era is long dead, and soon you'll be able to say that about WWII Veterans. Once they're gone should we stop honoring their memory? When that time comes will honoring their memory be "living a history that is not our own?"

And who are you to say what a "legitimate purpose" is? I have a written citation for a medal my father received in WWII hanging on my wall to remind me what they did for us. And to remind me that compared to what they went through, I've never had a bad day. I hope you agree that's a legitimate purpose. I'll give that to my sons, and hopefully they'll pass it on to their kids and not just pitch it in the trash because they "don't want to live a history that's not their own."

Certainly it's a part of history that's very much my own and very much their own. The same as Confederate memorials are. Read up on some of the things they did, like Jackson's Valley Campaign. Incredible feats of human endurance and bravery. Why would we want to just forget all that?

Seems the KKK had a big protest about taking down the statue of Lee in Charlottesville, VA. Since they are for it, I say tear the damn thing down.
Originally Posted by 16bore
Seems the KKK had a big protest about taking down the statue of Lee in Charlottesville, VA. Since they are for it, I say tear the damn thing down.

If you're gonna tear "anything" down, tear it "all" down, fair is fair!
BTW, Fu-k the klan too!
White people, especially cultural southerners, have no one to blame but themselves if they are feeling put upon.

They came out in support of Trump too, guess that means you voted for Hilary.
The KKK did more to destroy the south than Sherman.
Originally Posted by smokepole

You really are that stupid.
Have you ever read a book about the future? Most have such little practical value--they are a few that were eerily predictive...most are proved wrong.

History is more than just events. It is a record of culture and attitudes. Wiping it away or changing it because it isn't in vogue, is not thinking,--every fool believes they are more intelligent than the last generation.

Why not let all the butt-hurt have their own little pavilion. They can put up a plaque denouncing the past and espouse their superior virtues. Doing this every 40 years ought to be interesting.
The KKK did more to destroy the south than Sherman.

Right, I don't hate someone for simply being born a particular race, of course that can't be helped, I judge by actions, the klan hating indiscriminately is the very antithesis of any form of cognoscente intelligence.
I AM FROM THE NORTH MICHIGAN TO BE RIGHT . THE SOUTH AND FLAGS THE GENERALS THE WAY OF LIFE IT WAS IN THE 1800 TILL NOW IS AND WAS HISTORY . WEATHER LIKE IT OR NOT IT WAS HISTORY . I FOR ONE BEING 70 YEARS OLD WE USE TO PLAY WAR BETWEEN NORTH & SOUTH . WHEN THIS DEMOCRAT PARTY WENT FROM THE U.S. TO HITLER TIME . AND FORGOT EVERYTHING ABOUT THE U.S. IN STARTED TO THINK THEY WERE IN THE MIDDLE EAST AND THE ILLEGAL PRESIDENT OF 2008 -2017 FORGETTING EVERYTHING HILLARY CLINTON IN WHO CARES AND 30,000 EMAIL WENT TO 70,000 NOBODY CARES AND THE BENGAZE THING . ALL PEOPLE SHOULD WAKE UP TO THE FACT THEY ARE CORRUPT AS U CAN GET PEOPLE HISTORY FLAG STATUE OF LEE HISTORY SHOULD NEVER BE FORGOTTEN
IN DEFENSE OF GENERAL LEE

By Edward C. Smith
Saturday, August 21, 1999
© Copyright 1999 The Washington Post Company

Let me begin on a personal note. I am a 56-year-old, third-generation, African American Washingtonian who is a graduate of the D.C. public schools and who happens also to be a great admirer of Robert E. Lee's.

Today, Lee, who surrendered his troops to Gen. Ulysses S. Grant at Appomattox Court House 134 years ago, is under attack by people -- black and white -- who have incorrectly characterized him as a traitorous, slaveholding racist. He was recently besieged in Richmond by those opposed to having his portrait displayed prominently in a new park.

My first visit to Lee's former home, now Arlington National Cemetery, came when I was 12 years old, and it had a profound and lasting effect on me. Since then I have visited the cemetery hundreds of times searching for grave sites and conducting study tours for the Smithsonian Institution and various other groups interested in learning more about Lee and his family as well as many others buried at Arlington.

Lee's life story is in some ways the story of early America. He was born in 1807 to a loving mother, whom he adored. His relationship with his father, Henry "Light Horse Harry" Lee, (who was George Washington's chief of staff during the Revolutionary War) was strained at best. Thus, as he matured in years, Lee adopted Washington (who had died in 1799) as a father figure and patterned his life after him. Two of Lee's ancestors signed the Declaration of Independence, and his wife, Mary Custis, was George Washington's foster great-granddaughter.

Lee was a top-of-the-class graduate of West Point, a Mexican War hero and superintendent of West Point. I can think of no family for which the Union meant as much as it did for his.

But it is important to remember that the 13 colonies that became 13 states reserved for themselves a tremendous amount of political autonomy. In pre-Civil War America, most citizens' first loyalty went to their state and the local community in which they lived. Referring to the United States of America in the singular is a purely post-Civil War phenomenon.

All this should help explain why Lee declined command of the Union forces -- by Abraham Lincoln -- after the firing on Fort Sumter. After much agonizing, he resigned his commission in the Union army and became a Confederate commander, fighting in defense of Virginia, which at the outbreak of the war possessed the largest population of free blacks (more than 60,000) of any Southern state.

Lee never owned a single slave, because he felt that slavery was morally reprehensible. He even opposed secession. (His slaveholding was confined to the period when he managed the estate of his late father-in-law, who had willed eventual freedom for all of his slaves.)

Regarding the institution, it's useful to remember that slavery was not abolished in the nation's capital until April 1862, when the country was in the second year of the war. The final draft of the Emancipation Proclamation was not written until September 1862, to take effect the following Jan. 1, and it was intended to apply only to those slave states that had left the Union.

Lincoln's preeminent ally, Frederick Douglass, was deeply disturbed by these limitations but determined that it was necessary to suppress his disappointment and "take what we can get now and go for the rest later." The "rest" came after the war.

Martin Luther King Jr. was one of the few civil rights leaders who clearly understood that the era of the 1960s was a distant echo of the 1860s, and thus he read deeply into Civil War literature. He came to admire and respect Lee, and to this day, no member of his family, former associate or fellow activist that I know of has protested the fact that in Virginia Dr. King's birthday -- a federal holiday -- is officially celebrated as "Robert E. Lee-Stonewall Jackson-Martin Luther King Day."

Lee is memorialized with a statue in the U.S. Capitol and in stained glass in the Washington Cathedral.

It is indeed ironic that he has long been embraced by the city he fought against and yet has now encountered some degree of rejection in the city he fought for.

In any event, his most fitting memorial is in Lexington, Va.: a living institution where he spent his final five years. There the much-esteemed general metamorphosed into a teacher, becoming the president of small, debt-ridden Washington College, which now stands as the well-endowed Washington and Lee University.

It was in Lexington that he made a most poignant remark a few months before his death. "Before and during the War Between the States I was a Virginian," he said. "After the war I became an American."

I have been teaching college students for 30 years, and learned early in my career that the twin maladies of ignorance and misinformation are not incurable diseases. The antidote for them is simply to make a lifelong commitment to reading widely and deeply. I recommend it for anyone who would make judgment on figures from the past, including Robert E. Lee.

[Dr. Smith is co-director of the Civil War Institute at American University in Washington, D.C.]

No. But you are. For bringing up the KKK in the first place.
This is just another in the long list of liberal "scorched earth" efforts to expunge American history. Sanitizing the landscape of statues, named buildings and memorials allows them to mold those who have no knowledge of their history. They have had remarkable success around the countryside working their agenda.
Start at Gettysburg. If you are going to remove a statue of a Southern soldier, wipe out everything of the South from Gettysburg. Then start your way south and remove it all. Then all you have is the North fighting against no one. The figures show that almost 2 million people visit there each year, so it looks like a good place to start tearing them down. Think maybe if you start there, they would stop all the removals immediately. At heart, I am a son of the South.

"The fact that bringing down monuments to treason and slavery must be debated is itself the height of white supremacy," Waters wrote on my Facebook page. "What is there to debate?"

Except it wasn't treason. States seceding is both a Constitutional and a natural right.
Originally Posted by BarryC

Except it wasn't treason. States seceding is both a Constitutional and a natural right.

They're not monuments to anything other than the brave men they memorialize.
i'd guess when these monuments are torn down they should be replaced
with plaques or monuments explaining in detail to the uninformed about
how thousands of honest people in the south lost their ancestral farms
and homes to the thieving carpetbag interim government officials who were
put in place after the war's end. many were lost due to false tax values placed
on the properties, then resold to straw buyers working in concert with the
corrupt officials for pennies on the dollar. this isn't some made up story,
it's historical fact and documented all over. many corrupt officials had to
be bodily put out of office after voting was restored, and there were some
in this state where government records and official documents had to be
taken at gunpoint from corrupt carpetbag officials. probably in other states
as well that i'm unaware of.
we'll probably never see this though. . .

Had the damn Yankees and Republicans not raped and pilfered the people of the South following the War of Southern Secession, there would never have been a KKK. The KKK was started as a way for the White Southerner to defend both their lives and their property, against the Northern trash who were trying to take it. To add insult to injury, the Republicans put Negroes in office in the former Confederate states, just so they could manipulate them into doing their dirty work, and put further hurt and shame on the Whites of the South. I have never had a thing to do with the Klan, don't know if there even is one where I live, but they got their start because of the policies of the Republican Party.......the same Republican Party that most on here belong to today. That's history, just like those monuments and statues are.
Originally Posted by BarryC

True.....there was nothing treasonous about it. The states had always had the right to leave the Union anytime they pleased. The problem was that Lincoln and the Northern Abolitionists wanted to punish the South, and war was there chosen way to go about doing it.

No. But you are. For bringing up the KKK in the first place.

How long have you lived in the south?
I was born in the south, lived in the south a total of 42 years before I moved out west.

How about you?
Glad to see your dumbass go.

Thanks.
GFY. Dipschitt.

But at least answer the question.
[....the same Republican Party that most on here belong to today. That's history, just like those monuments and statues are.

Historical FACTS don't support your statement. Republicans in the 60s supported the Civil Rights movement, whilst just about every DEMOCRAT politician (used to be known as the DIXIECRATS) were for it. I support the rest of your statements but today's Rs are a far cry from those in the post War of Northern Aggression era.
the entire issue of race in the South,. before and after the war of northern aggression, is fraught with ignorance. Folks up north, and those in the west, really don't have a clue as to what really happened, and is still happening.
Looks like not many folks ever read American History. What you learned in public schools is virtually all wrong, slanted, biased or deliberately twisted.
Life long...
Originally Posted by jorgeI
[....the same Republican Party that most on here belong to today. That's history, just like those monuments and statues are.

Historical FACTS don't support your statement. Republicans in the 60s supported the Civil Rights movement, whilst just about every DEMOCRAT politician (used to be known as the DIXIECRATS) were for it. I support the rest of your statements but today's Rs are a far cry from those in the post War of Northern Aggression era.

You're right that the rank and file members of today's Republican Party are different from those of 150+ years ago, but the name is still the same. Today's Republicans are, to a large degree, yesterday's Democrats. I know, because I'm one. Reagan Democrats, is what we used to be called. But, it was Lincoln and the Republicans that forced the war upon the South, setting up the Reconstruction Period, that led to the formation of the KKK. Many on this board still defend the policies of Lincoln and those Republicans. That's what I meant with my reference to the Republican Party.
Life long...

Which is most likely less time than I spent in the south.

Which is why you wont answer the same question you asked me, ain't that rich.

Dipschitt.
Bump for the dipschitt.
The south took up arms against The United States. They were our enemies for the duration of the civil war. I feel the same way about a confederate statue as a British statue, they were the enemies of the US. If California succeeded against the US and attacked a federal military base, I would not want to see a statue of Jerry Brown in 50 years.

P.S. That's right I said it............................bring on the hate.
That's fine, you're allowed to say that.
But for a lot of people, those guys were defending our rights against an unconstitutional usurpation of power. The fact that they lost is just another of history's tragedies.
Originally Posted by nealglen37
The south took up arms against The United States. They were our enemies for the duration of the civil war.

You're allowed to say it. Just realize that you're speaking for yourself, and not everyone when you use the word "our."

And if California succeeded in seceding that would be a good thing IMO, and Jerry Brown would indeed be a hero.
© 24hourcampfire