Home
Posted By: OrangeOkie 1970 Road Runner - 07/23/17
Posted By: Seafire Re: 1970 Road Runner - 07/23/17
Thanks for posting Phil...

I wasn't a Mopar Fan back in those days...

But for some reason in my old age, I've come around to those Mopar from
that era.

I love that Road Runner in that Purple also...

another love of mine, is that old Buick Roadmaster that was in the background

from 48 to 56 I am a real Fan of Buicks and Caddy's....
Posted By: Squirrelnut Re: 1970 Road Runner - 07/23/17
Beautiful. I love the old Mopars.
Posted By: Everyday Hunter Re: 1970 Road Runner - 07/23/17
I used to have a buddy who had a '69 Road Runner.

First he bought a Honda Trail 90. His dad paid half.
Then he bought a Honda 350. His dad paid half for it, and his half was the Trial 90.
His next motorcycle was a 650 Triumph. His dad paid half for it, and his half was the Honda 350.
It was time to move up to four wheels. He bought a Corvair. His dad paid half for it, and his half was the 650 Triumph.
Finally, he had his eyes on the '69 Road Runner—383 ci engine, four-speed Hurst shifter, chome wheels. His dad paid half and his half was the Corvair.

So all he really paid for the Road Runner was half the value of the Honda 90. Sweet deal.

Steve.
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: 1970 Road Runner - 07/23/17
I had a buddy in high school that bought a brand new 70 Roadrunner with a 426 hemi . . . it was plum crazy with Cragar Mags, just like this baby. I really liked his car. I would be tempted to buy a car like this in this condition, just for old times sake.
Posted By: cooper57m Re: 1970 Road Runner - 07/23/17
Ah, it's not the Superbird.
Posted By: joken2 Re: 1970 Road Runner - 07/23/17

A 1st cousin bought a new 1970 GTX 440 through a military purchase program while he was in the Air Force in Vietnam. The deal was you pay for a vehicle of your choice while serving and supposedly it would be mostly or completely paid for when (if?) you made it back and then you picked your vehicle up at a local dealership.

Cousin re-upped an extra six months in country in order to have his GTX paid for in full. When he ETS'd he had a heck of a time finding a Mopar dealer in our area willing to honor the deal. Took several weeks of inquiring around but he finally was able to pick up his brand new 1970 GTX 440 at a dealership in St. Louis, MO. Beautiful car, black w/black vinyl top, solid white int. auto trans,custom factory wheels, etc.

Unfortunately those weren't very good times for Mopar in terms of quality. He had a lot of quality issue with his over the short time he owned it. IIRC, he wound up giving up on it after a couple of years or so and bought a VW Beetle.

Posted By: GeorgiaBoy Re: 1970 Road Runner - 07/23/17
AWESOME!!!!
Posted By: baldhunter Re: 1970 Road Runner - 07/23/17
That was one bad a$$ car in it's day.
Posted By: readonly Re: 1970 Road Runner - 07/23/17
Originally Posted by joken2

A 1st cousin bought a new 1970 GTX 440 through a military purchase program while he was in the Air Force in Vietnam. The deal was you pay for a vehicle of your choice while serving and supposedly it would be mostly or completely paid for when (if?) you made it back and then you picked your vehicle up at a local dealership.

Cousin re-upped an extra six months in country in order to have his GTX paid for in full. When he ETS'd he had a heck of a time finding a Mopar dealer in our area willing to honor the deal. Took several weeks of inquiring around but he finally was able to pick up his brand new 1970 GTX 440 at a dealership in St. Louis, MO. Beautiful car, black w/black vinyl top, solid white int. auto trans,custom factory wheels, etc.

Unfortunately those weren't very good times for Mopar in terms of quality. He had a lot of quality issue with his over the short time he owned it. IIRC, he wound up giving up on it after a couple of years or so and bought a VW Beetle.

Overseas military car sales. Selling cars in combat zones since WWII. I bought my truck through them in Ramadi Iraq. You by factory direct and they ship to a participating dealer.
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: 1970 Road Runner - 07/23/17
Beep Beep!!!!
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: 1970 Road Runner - 07/23/17
Had a 1968 GTX convertible, 440 "Super Commando", Hemi 4 speed, Dana 60 rear end. First car I bought fully out of my own pocket. ($800!) FUN car... Miss it...

Originally Posted by cooper57m
Ah, it's not the Superbird.

1989 (+/-) I passed on an original Daytona Charger for $13K because I didn't like the interior. Got to looking the other evening. Restored 1969 Daytona Chargers are now going for $200K to $300K. The more common 1970 Super Birds are in the $150K to $250K range...
Posted By: shootinurse Re: 1970 Road Runner - 07/23/17
My brother had a '69 when he was in the Air Force. Put it in the shop one winter up in Caribou, ME, and balanced and blue-printed the 383. I rebuilt the Carter AVS for him, but it wasn't quite right till he found a Holley for it. I rebuilt that and we put it on. What a runner! At full throttle shifting the Torqueflite manually it would chirp the tires on the 1-2 upshift. Quite a ride.
Posted By: Anjin Re: 1970 Road Runner - 07/23/17
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
I had a buddy in high school that bought a brand new 70 Roadrunner with a 426 hemi . . . it was plum crazy with Cragar Mags, just like this baby. I really liked his car. I would be tempted to buy a car like this in this condition, just for old times sake.

With all respect for the great old muscle cars, I have to say the the new Dodges are awesome and will be keepers.

I used to have an 87 Buick Grand National that wasn't too shabby. The marque's motto was "We brake for Corvettes." There was a rumor that the two Buick guys who greenlighted the project got fired by GM.
Posted By: CCCC Re: 1970 Road Runner - 07/23/17
Originally Posted by Anjin

With all respect for the great old muscle cars, I have to say the the new Dodges are awesome and will be keepers.

I used to have an 87 Buick Grand National that wasn't too shabby. The marque's motto was "We brake for Corvettes." There was a rumor that the two Buick guys who greenlighted the project got fired by GM.

That Grand National was a fast/nice runner - a ground-breaking type in its day. Back then a few of them ran upside my Corvette. Someone at GenMo was kidding - they didn't need to brake for that C2 - smiled a bit looking at those GNs in the mirror.
The only thing I couldn't get past with the Grand national was it was a V6.
Posted By: GeoW Re: 1970 Road Runner - 07/23/17
Motors were tough.. Can't say much about suspension or overall build.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: 1970 Road Runner - 07/23/17
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by Anjin

That Grand National was a fast/nice runner - a ground-breaking type in its day. Back then a few of them ran upside my Corvette. Someone at GenMo was kidding - they didn't need to brake for that C2 - smiled a bit looking at those GNs in the mirror.

RIght up the street they sold an older house and it had a detached weathered garage, inside was a grand national. New Owner of the house ended up with it grin
Posted By: PPosey Re: 1970 Road Runner - 07/23/17
My 70 year old mother still takes her 1969 roadrunner that she bought new in 69 out for a hard run on nice days, Dad rebuilt everything a few years ago but kept everything factory spec,,,,, thinglooks new
Posted By: local_dirt Re: 1970 Road Runner - 07/23/17
Almost bought a '69 Road Runner back in the day. It was a hair out of my price range at $2500. grin

Ended up "settling" for this one. Dad found a screaming deal for me at $1200. It is exactly as mine was, except mine was a 350, not a 396. Oh, and the flip headlamps.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: CCCC Re: 1970 Road Runner - 07/24/17
The only thing I couldn't get past with the Grand national was it was a V6.
OO, I had a lot of the same reaction about that GN and the V6 - until - in the early 90s I got the only Ford I've ever bought. It was a 3.8 V6 - but with a great supercharger, lots of boost and a 5 speed manual trans. That 89 Supercoupe was very, very fast - and nimble. Wonderful road car, especially for the many uncluttered open roads in the SW. I always ran "Z" rated tires on that thing.
Posted By: hemiallen Re: 1970 Road Runner - 07/24/17
[Linked Image]

My 70-440 Cuda

Purchased from a friend in 2000

Black Imron with cherry pearl and gold metalflake. If you look close you can see the cherry hue on the rear quarter panel above the rear wheelwell, and it transitions in the right light to a gold metalflake rootbeer color, acting similar to Chameleon paints.

I took off the STR-14 3-2 manifold to drive it the 200+ miles to Hot august nights, the original ( to the purchase) chromed air cleaner is huge, but I never did get the sixpack to work right so I put a big 4bbl 930cfm on it for the drive, 9 mpg going from 500 feet to 6000+ doesn't sound too bad.

This was a fun car
[Linked Image]
Posted By: PrimeBeef Re: 1970 Road Runner - 07/24/17
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Almost bought a '69 Road Runner back in the day. It was a hair out of my price range at $2500. grin

Ended up "settling" for this one. Dad found a screaming deal for me at $1200. It is exactly as mine was, except mine was a 350, not a 396. Oh, and the flip headlamps.

[Linked Image]

The year I graduated from high school (1974) I bought a '69 383 Roadrunner for $800 from a city cop who lived around the corner. Even had a new Ice Blue paint job.

About two years later when I was stationed in upstate NY, I picked up a '69 Camaro SS350 in Rallye Green with a white vinyl top and a white interior. Same price. Those were the days!
Posted By: local_dirt Re: 1970 Road Runner - 07/24/17
Originally Posted by PrimeBeef
Originally Posted by local_dirt

[Linked Image]

The year I graduated from high school (1974) I bought a '69 383 Roadrunner for $800 from a city cop who lived around the corner. Even had a new Ice Blue paint job.

About two years later when I was stationed in upstate NY, I picked up a '69 Camaro SS350 in Rallye Green with a white vinyl top and a white interior. Same price. Those were the days!

Boy Howdy, they sure were. You can't even get a sniff of these cars for less than $30K these days.
Posted By: GeorgiaBoy Re: 1970 Road Runner - 07/25/17
Character of that magnitude does not roll out of the American auto industry anymore.
Posted By: GeorgiaBoy Re: 1970 Road Runner - 07/25/17
Originally Posted by hemiallen
[Linked Image]

My 70-440 Cuda

Purchased from a friend in 2000

Black Imron with cherry pearl and gold metalflake. If you look close you can see the cherry hue on the rear quarter panel above the rear wheelwell, and it transitions in the right light to a gold metalflake rootbeer color, acting similar to Chameleon paints.

I took off the STR-14 3-2 manifold to drive it the 200+ miles to Hot august nights, the original ( to the purchase) chromed air cleaner is huge, but I never did get the sixpack to work right so I put a big 4bbl 930cfm on it for the drive, 9 mpg going from 500 feet to 6000+ doesn't sound too bad.

This was a fun car
[Linked Image]

Tell the truth...you runnin moonshine in the white Fury...
Posted By: hemiallen Re: 1970 Road Runner - 07/25/17
Selling the 65 fury111 was a mistake, I pulled the engine ( 440) and sold it with the 4:30 suregrip and push button transmission for $600. It was a blast to drive, but I picked up a 74-360 Challenger to put the 440 in, but still need to put that back together.

But I also have regrets selling my first Hemi car, a 1957 imperial 4 dr, then sold a 1960 Sanger V drive with a Mondello built 392 hemi also, but both were sold to buy the Cuda.
Posted By: TheKid Re: 1970 Road Runner - 07/25/17
Met a guy at gas station once who's daily driver was a FuryIII like yours only a wagon. Bad old car, unrestored with no rust, white with red interior and red stripe inside the chrome trim on the side. Had a mean sounding exhaust and I think a set of Cragar mags. Can't remember what engine he told me it had in it but I know it wasn't a 318.
© 24hourcampfire