Home
Posted By: 1minute Chukar Images - 07/26/17
Cookie headed out this AM to try for some Chukar images. Got a bit worried as it was about 13:00, pushing the high 90's, and she was not back yet. Came in pretty well roasted and in a sour mood, but she did get some good shots. Nailed them near a water hole.

[Linked Image]

There were a few youngsters along, but they were not tall enough to be seen through the grass. Just a couple backs showing.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Chukar Images - 07/26/17
Beautiful.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Chukar Images - 07/26/17
Nice!
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Chukar Images - 07/26/17
I like chukars. They taste good.
Posted By: rong Re: Chukar Images - 07/26/17
As always,beautiful
Posted By: T LEE Re: Chukar Images - 07/27/17
Outstanding!
Posted By: Elkhunter49 Re: Chukar Images - 07/27/17
Great photos sir! Thanks for sharing
Posted By: Santiam Re: Chukar Images - 07/27/17
Wow!! If only my pics looked like that.. Cool!!!
Posted By: rifletom Re: Chukar Images - 07/27/17
Nice pictures for sure. Those are clear! I'll be chasing those rascal's come Oct.
Posted By: Elkhunter49 Re: Chukar Images - 07/27/17
I've never eaten a Chucker, how are they as compaired to say a Bobwhite Quail?
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Chukar Images - 07/27/17
Great pix.
Thanks for sharing them.

I've never eaten a Bobwhite but Chuckar's right up there with Grouse IMO.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Chukar Images - 07/27/17
A little larger than quail and all white meat. Mild flavor that needs no cover up.
Posted By: 32_20fan Re: Chukar Images - 07/27/17
Outstanding pics! Hopefully they had a good hatch in eastern Oregon this year.

Favorite game bird to chase growing up in that region...love/hate thing and felt after the first time it was revenge driven.

Have had a lot of valley/California quail and chukar on the table....both excellent and white meat with the quail just being a little more delicate. As 1minute mentioned...don't need covering.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Chukar Images - 07/27/17
Super cool.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Chukar Images - 07/27/17
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
Super cool.

Sure is.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Chukar Images - 07/27/17
Awesome pictures.
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Chukar Images - 07/27/17
I'm glad you all like Chukar on the table.

I've cooked tons of it. BBQ, deep fry, bacon wrapped/grilled, buffalo style, stir fry, rottiseri, ........

You can have it.
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: Chukar Images - 07/27/17
Beautiful pictures. Hopefully I will get some chukar hunting in this fall.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Chukar Images - 07/27/17
awesome pictures. you know God created Chukars just to teach man patience. walk up the mountain for miles with them running ahead of you , get to the top and they break and fly just out of range back down to the bottom . repeatedly. love Chukar hunting more than any other type. can smell the sage and hear them cluck in my dreams.
Posted By: rifletom Re: Chukar Images - 07/27/17
Yep, you've chased those bastids. I can tell. Devil bird! But fun.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Chukar Images - 07/27/17
Superb photographs.

I love those little birds. They cheer up my day every time I see them. Last winter was TOUGH on them, but fortunately some made it through.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Chukar Images - 07/27/17
Originally Posted by 1minute
Cookie headed out this AM to try for some Chukar images. Got a bit worried as it was about 13:00, pushing the high 90's, and she was not back yet. Came in pretty well roasted and in a sour mood, but she did get some good shots. Nailed them near a water hole.

[Linked Image]

There were a few youngsters along, but they were not tall enough to be seen through the grass. Just a couple backs showing.
[Linked Image]

The faces of EVIL! mad

I've chased those little bastids for 62 years now. It is a love/hate relationship.

Those are fantastic photos!!

Easily rate a two-cool.. cool cool
A great weight loss program. There is no way one can have a caloric gain hunting chukar. Even if one limits out in an hour, he will have burned more calories than he could possibly gather. I'm more of an opportunist type birder. I'll get after them only if I luck into a group while involved in other endeavors. Early in our seasons when it's still warm, it pays to start hitting the water holes about 10:00 AM. Once there's a scattering of snow and they don't need to water, They can be anywhere between one horizon and the other.
Posted By: pointer Re: Chukar Images - 07/27/17
Great pics!! "Fun" birds to hunt with a pointer. Fun is in quotes for reasons those that've hunted them understand. Though it would be an endeavor, I'd like to travel out west in a couple of years and let Hank (my pudelpointer) try his hand at them.
Looks like she scored a couple California quail as well

Male:
[Linked Image]

Female:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Chukar Images - 07/27/17
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by 1minute

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The faces of EVIL! mad

I've chased those little bastids for 62 years now. It is a love/hate relationship.

Those are fantastic photos!!

Easily rate a two-cool.. cool cool

go north from Winnemucca on 95 and find a open slope east or west of 95. i first hunted them there in 1966 can still feel the crisp mornings with the bite of sage in my nostrils. dodging "cow pie rattlers under sage brush and taking a long long stroll up slope behind 40-60 birds. heart pounding in anticipation of a chukar on a spit that evening. always just out of flushing range until we reached the crest, then the first missile nearly parting my hair before i can mount the gun. then a full blown attack on all fronts.
if i can keep my wits and remember those all important words " pick one and follow it only, ignoring the rest" i might , just might, hit the jackpot. usually just a dejected stroll back to the bottom. the glory of a flush of chukar beats any other covey bird in my mind.
Posted By: Malloy805 Re: Chukar Images - 07/28/17
Great Pictures!!!!
Along time ago. Probably in the 70's, there was an article in outdoor life about Chukar, it was titled, "This Bird isn't on the level" don't remember the author, but it was hilarious !! If you've ever hunted Chukar, you were knoddimg your head , yep,yep, been there.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Chukar Images - 07/28/17
Awesome quail pictures too.
© 24hourcampfire