Home
My wife's rig needs new tires before winter. Size is 245/55R19. Original tires were Bridgestone Dueler H/L. They hydroplane easily and have worn down quickly.

Recommendations please. Thanks
General Grabbers! Lasted 100K on my wife's Highlander.

BFG AT KO2's............but man thats a wierd size ................................

Discount Tire Direct......free ship/no tax..........

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...r=0&fl=&sortBy=prca&fqs=true
+100 on the General Grabber AT2!!!

I have them on both Suburbans and my Toyota pickup - I will NEVER buy a different tire unless they discontinue them. There is no better tire for winter conditions of snow and ice, and they do well in the mud too and at half the price of many top of the line tires. They are without a doubt the best tire for the money made today.
Simply go to Costco and buy the best Michelin tires they recommend for a Highlander. Done.

RS
There's at least 8 sets of Dueler AT's between my brothers truck and mine, and about 450K miles. Wouldn't have anything else.
Revos'?

Those were good tires.
I've got the General Grabber AT2's on my Grand Cherokee. They do wear well and are good on and off road in snow and mud.
It's rather ludicrous to make a tire recommendation without knowing how she'll use them. Mostly highway? Lots of snow? Heavy loads? You want long life? Traction? Quiet ride?
Michelin Defender LTX MS... Hands down. Wife's 2001 Highlander has 240K miles. She put 140K on it. Three sets of the Michelin tires. Zero issues. Fourth set on right now. Just bought her a 2015 Equinox AWD. First thing we did was put a new set of the Michelin LTX tires on it. Not cheap. But, they ride smooth, channel water well, and have good traction in mud, gravel, snow. Good tread life and give good fuel economy.
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Michelin Defender LTX MS... Hands down. Wife's 2001 Highlander has 240K miles. She put 140K on it. Three sets of the Michelin tires. Zero issues. Fourth set on right now. Just bought her a 2015 Equinox AWD. First thing we did was put a new set of the Michelin LTX tires on it. Not cheap. But, they ride smooth, channel water well, and have good traction in mud, gravel, snow. Good tread life and give good fuel economy.

I have been running Michelin LTX on my Dakota 4X4 since I replaced the factory Goodyears, for the past 250k I have been very pleased with them.

Great ride and great off road traction, I have friends back east running them on their Suburban 4X4 that they toll heavy loads with and they are like wise very pleased with them.
Yokohama Geolanders. I've had about 5 sets on a 2008 4 runner. Great wet/dry traction and they wear well.
Originally Posted by slymule
+100 on the General Grabber AT2!!!

I have them on both Suburbans and my Toyota pickup - I will NEVER buy a different tire unless they discontinue them. There is no better tire for winter conditions of snow and ice, and they do well in the mud too and at half the price of many top of the line tires. They are without a doubt the best tire for the money made today.

+101! 93,000, on my first set of 265/75/16 AT2's. Went to 285/75/16 on the second set. 40,000 and looking very good. They're on a 2007 Hummer H3. Good traction, not real noisy, long service.
Another vote for Michelin LTX. M/S version is excellent in rain and on highways. If some offroading is planned, the AT version is good, but a noisier on the highway. I have had 4 sets, all of which delivered 70,000 miles and were still legal when changed out. These were on a F150 and Silverado 1500.
Anything Michelin recommends i would put on . I am on 5 sets of LTX tires , 3 tacomas, 1 silverado and current Tundra. Best tires made for a light truck. When the POS [bleep] tires go on my wifes Crosstour it is getting Michelin Defenders.
I agree that the LTX is nearly always a great choice for a vehicle that will not see mud.
LTX are great when I put them on my F150 a few years back I went to

https://www.discounttire.com/store-locator

Type in your tire size and check out the reviews there should be some specific to your vehicle. Don't be surprised if the LTX is up there.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob
How much snow do you get? All season tires aren't any better than highway tires and don't last as long. They're softer than highways and wear out faster. If you need snow tires, get a spare set of rims and put on REAL snow tires for winter and REAL highway tires for summer. You'll get better performance year round that way.
I put Michelins on my Honda Pilot and I'm very pleased with their performance.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Revos'?

Those were good tires.

Yup....
My wife's Highlander gets used as I suspect most do, driving on paved roads. They are not an off road vehicle, nor will it pull my gooseneck trailers. Sorry, I couldn't resist that one. We live in the country, about 1/2 mile down a gravel road from the nearest asphalt. There is some snow involved but lately not much. So, mostly highway and city driving on pavement in what ever weather conditions exist. Could be dry, wet or icy but mostly dry. Lightly loaded. As I like to say, "She loves to drive up and down the road burning up gas and throwing money out of the windows". Plus she's a real estate listing agent.

We had General Grabbers on an Expedition before the Highlander came. They were great but the only General I've found to fit this rig is the HTS60. Will check on them tomorrow but right now the leading contender is the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Looks like until 8/12, there is a $70 rebate on a set of four.

Thanks for all the input.
I have had various Bridgestone and a Goodyear tires. Most were ok, but nothing great
Tried Michelins on my current Silverado. They are noticeably more quiet, ride better, do fine in snow/mud. How long they last is to be determined but at 20,000 miles they look new. I'll trade the truck before they wear out.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
How much snow do you get? All season tires aren't any better than highway tires and don't last as long. They're softer than highways and wear out faster. If you need snow tires, get a spare set of rims and put on REAL snow tires for winter and REAL highway tires for summer. You'll get better performance year round that way.

We are lucky to get a few inches a year of snow, If I lived someplace that snowed a lot , there would be another set of snow tires in the garage and chains.
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
My wife's Highlander gets used as I suspect most do, driving on paved roads. They are not an off road vehicle, nor will it pull my gooseneck trailers. Sorry, I couldn't resist that one. We live in the country, about 1/2 mile down a gravel road from the nearest asphalt. There is some snow involved but lately not much. So, mostly highway and city driving on pavement in what ever weather conditions exist. Could be dry, wet or icy but mostly dry. Lightly loaded. As I like to say, "She loves to drive up and down the road burning up gas and throwing money out of the windows". Plus she's a real estate listing agent.

We had General Grabbers on an Expedition before the Highlander came. They were great but the only General I've found to fit this rig is the HTS60. Will check on them tomorrow but right now the leading contender is the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Looks like until 8/12, there is a $70 rebate on a set of four.

Thanks for all the input.

For the conditions you described they are perfect. I had 75K + mileage on a Silverado and Tacoma wearing LTX tires. They looked great
Use vehicle model and tire size to search for reviews on google.
I also have a Highlander and will be needing tires soon. Thanks to ya'll, it looks like a set of Michelin Defender LTX M/S is what they'll be. And both my usual Les Schwab and Costco carry them.

Looks like in that size, they'll run $200 per tire anywhere. Costco charges $15/tire for disposal of the old tires, but my local (and favorite tire store) Les Schwab does not. I'll be a returning customer.
Another vote for Michelin Defender LTX M/S. We put a set on my wife's 2014 Highlander needed tires and have been completely satisfied with them.
Thanks again for all the recommendations. She will be going with the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Now to find the best deal.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

BFG AT KO2's............but man thats a wierd size ................................

Discount Tire Direct......free ship/no tax..........

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...r=0&fl=&sortBy=prca&fqs=true

I wouldn't put those tires on anything. I have them on my '14 Ram. They suck. No and I mean no traction in rain or ice. Sand, they're pretty good. Mud, they're below average, snow, they're pretty good. They get real noisy when they're worn about 1/2 way, and you'll lose about 1-2 mpg.
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Another vote for Michelin Defender LTX M/S. We put a set on my wife's 2014 Highlander needed tires and have been completely satisfied with them.

Another vote for the Michelin's!
Surprised that no one here runs Cooper Discoverers .
My 04 Tahoe came with the Michelin LTX-great tire and pricey. Second set was Yoko Geolander which was a total disappointment. Next was the Cooper's which were at least 1/3 less than LTX's. The mileage is going to be close to the LTX and they have performed well in snow.
I’m glad to see so many people recommending Michelins.
For a family/passenger car, they are the best option.
They cost more but last long enough to be “cheaper by the mile”.
The big advantage comes in how well they are built. Less punctures, less blowouts, less failures and problems.
A flat, miles from nowhere can be a problem, a blowout in traffic at high speed can be very dangerous.
Just got back from Discount Tires with a set of Michelin Defenders on my Highlander. In the few miles from there to home, they already seem noticeably quieter. I'll pay attention to the other factors as I go, but I'm happy so far.
Round and rubber is preferred. It's not rocket science.
© 24hourcampfire