Home
A friend saw a news report this afternoon. Apparently, millions of pairs of fake eclipse glasses have been sold across the country and millions of people are going to hurt. They said to get a bright LED flashlight and hold it behind them. If you see any light at all, they don't meet federal safety regulations, regardless of what's printed on them. A good share of the fakes have been sold by Amazon but not all by any means. Amazon supposedly has sent emails to everyone who bought the bad ones recalling them but not everyone got the emails...me included. I returned mine for a refund but tomorrow is the last day they'll accept returns on them.
My welding shield should work.
I think I you'd covered.... Welding goggles! memtb
We got the e-mail from Amazon and they said they were going to refund our purchase price and they asked us to throw the glasses away. And, in bold letters they warned us not to trust or use the glasses. We already had some from another company from Amazon so we called to make sure they were good, which they are. The BAD glasses have red and white stripes and blue and white stars. I hope everyone safely enjoys the eclipse.
Most welding goggles go to 12 or 13 shade. You need 14 or stronger.
This was news about 4 weeks ago.
How to determine if your solar eclipse glasses are real or fake

http://whnt.com/2017/08/14/how-to-determine-if-your-solar-eclipse-glasses-are-real-or-fake/
A pin hole viewing box is a better way to see one anyway. There are instructions online for making one, but it can he as simple as poking a small hole in a paper plate and watching the circle of light on the pavement. This way your back is to the sun and by looking down you won't strain your neck by looking up.

They recommend 14 and for looking directly at a full sun for extended periods is probably best. But even as low as a 10 works for short periods and there isn't much reason to start looking up until after the eclipse begins and the sun is partially obscured. By the time you get 50% blockage I wouldn't be concerned with a #10. I think they are just being extra cautious. Looking through a pair of sunglasses would not be a good idea and that sort of thing is what they are trying to prevent.

And most of the shades sold by Amazon and others are just fine. They just were not certified by NASA.
Mine will work if I also wear my gas welding mask. It's not nearly as dark as an arc welding mask and the 2 work good together. An arc welding mask will work IF it has a #14 or darker lens.

If you use an auto darkening mask, be sure you can set it extra dark, 13 or higher, and to stay dark all the time. Most won't. From what I've read, the sun pulsates and the mask will pulsate with it. It happens faster than your eye can see it. During the light times, it will let enough IR through to do some damage.
Originally Posted by 700LH
How to determine if your solar eclipse glasses are real or fake

http://whnt.com/2017/08/14/how-to-determine-if-your-solar-eclipse-glasses-are-real-or-fake/
There's nothing to keep someone from printing the cert # on a fake. They're already breaking the law so what does it matter to them? Mine have the cert # on them but you can shine an LED light right through them. The sun is infinitely brighter than that. There's no way that they're safe. In fact I tried them out. After only 2 or 3 seconds, I could feel it in my eyes. Watching continually would be deadly.
Ours are stars and bars as described above. We called Bi Mart where we bought them, they gave the OK. They are made in the USA so that makes a person feel somewhat safer.
I did look at the sun using them and they seemed to be fine. In fact my thought was, "I wonder if these are to dark to see much at all?"
Household lighting cannot be seen, a LED flashlight held against them can barely be detected.
Welding shield lens, I just put a 12 shade and a 5 shade together. Works great!
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Mine will work if I also wear my gas welding mask. It's not nearly as dark as an arc welding mask and the 2 work good together. An arc welding mask will work IF it has a #14 or darker lens.

If you use an auto darkening mask, be sure you can set it extra dark, 13 or higher, and to stay dark all the time. Most won't. From what I've read, the sun pulsates and the mask will pulsate with it. It happens faster than your eye can see it. During the light times, it will let enough IR through to do some damage.

Thanks for that info. I was wondering.
Or just don't stare at the f'ing sun. Go stare at the sun while your country is overrun...
Wait... wait... wait... There's an eclipse?
Originally Posted by rlott
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Thanks for that info. I was wondering.
Only the auto lens will pulsate! Good old fixed lens are safe if over 14. Like girls use two eights and you'll be happy.
Originally Posted by nemotheangler
Or just don't stare at the f'ing sun. Go stare at the sun while your country is overrun...

Some advice:

- Lighten up.
- Stop taking yourself so seriously. Nobody else does.
Originally Posted by JMR40
A pin hole viewing box is a better way to see one anyway. There are instructions online for making one, but it can he as simple as poking a small hole in a paper plate and watching the circle of light on the pavement. This way your back is to the sun and by looking down you won't strain your neck by looking up.

They recommend 14 and for looking directly at a full sun for extended periods is probably best. But even as low as a 10 works for short periods and there isn't much reason to start looking up until after the eclipse begins and the sun is partially obscured. By the time you get 50% blockage I wouldn't be concerned with a #10. I think they are just being extra cautious. Looking through a pair of sunglasses would not be a good idea and that sort of thing is what they are trying to prevent.

And most of the shades sold by Amazon and others are just fine. They just were not certified by NASA.

Safe or fake doesn't matter. Our stores are all sold out anyway. A pin hole box is far safer and what we used last time in Kansas City.
This time I will look during total dark when it is safe and the glasses don't work anyway.
The rest I will watch on TV. That is the safest and best way of all.
Originally Posted by WildWest

I have a #7 Shade torch goggles, so I plan on just Keeping one eye closed!
I always get a kick out of someone saying that great grandpa Ben was so tough that he could stare directly at the sun without sneezing. Of course he could. After 1 time of that he was totally blind.

A local business advertised that they would have at least 40 of the cardboard eclipse viewing glasses in stock upon opening this morning but said that this bunch would be priced at $15.00 each. Other retailers that are still able to get some in are still selling theirs for between $2.00 to $5.00 tops. We paid $3.00 for ours.

Saw a photo earlier this evening of bumper to bumper traffic on both lanes of the Audubon Pkwy as far as you could see headed toward the the area of KY that is supposed experience the total eclipse for the longest period with only a very few vehicles going in the opposite direction.
Originally Posted by Heym06
Welding shield lens, I just put a 12 shade and a 5 shade together. Works great!

THIS !

You just drove it right out of the park ! grin grin grin

Fellas and Gals ,...this is the ONLY way to do this correctly, and for BEST protection, use REAL GLASS lenses. There's a LOT of junk floating around out there, at this point in "free trade with most favored nations",.......A LOT of this so called eye protection gear is junk, or next thing worse.

GTC
I suspect that there's going to be a lot of lawsuits by people who bought the junk that didn't work.
Everyone that wasn't wiped out by the last Ebola epidemic will surely be blind by Monday night.

Pretty sure it's in the Bible.
Originally Posted by rlott
Originally Posted by nemotheangler

Some advice:

- Lighten up.
- Stop taking yourself so seriously. Nobody else does.

Haha good stuff. I am sure people can influence others on internet forums. Just ask...you!
Just make a viewer out of a cardboard box, some white paper, and some tinfoil with a pin hole in it. Works great.
The last time that I looked at an eclipse, I had access to a sun filter and a transit. Not only the correct amount of darkness, but magnified picture. I do not have that now. I have a transit, but no sun filter for it. In fact, I do not have tripod for the transit. miles
Originally Posted by Pat85

That's what I'm using. had someone tell me it wasn't safe to do so. I'm guessing they heard it from the person trying to sell eclipse glasses
Who cares done seen one anyhow.
Your retinas don't register pain so you can cook them with the IR w/o feeling a thing. Be careful.
For a good chart of how different filters relate to light transmission see the link, go half way down to the chart.

https://photo.stackexchange.com/que...slate-to-stops-when-used-as-an-nd-filter
Happy birthday, Colorado. The following isn't just for you:

Normal welding hoods are NOT dark enough to protect your eyes from the sun.

If your eyes aren't important to you, go ahead and look at the eclipse with any half-ass, slipshod, homemade shades. But if your eyes ARE of value...
Originally Posted by Pat85

This is what I'll use. I used it last time with no problems.
Where is EYEBALL when you need him? smile
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Happy birthday, Colorado. The following isn't just for you:

Normal welding hoods are NOT dark enough to protect your eyes from the sun.

If your eyes aren't important to you, go ahead and look at the eclipse with any half-ass, slipshod, homemade shades. But if your eyes ARE of value...

Well, kinda' sad here,......seems that some just aren't going to pay attention to that FACT.

GTC
Make sure your mask is shade 12 or higher.

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety

As an extra safety measure for kids to wear while watching the eclipse most local elementary schools are adding paper plates with cutouts the size of the lens and nose/mouth area of the eclipse viewing glasses with glasses taped to the back.

http://www.classicalhomemaking.com/2017/08/worry-less-eclipse-glasses-for-kids.html

[Linked Image]

http://www.wsmv.com/story/36144284/...-being-partially-blinded-by-1963-eclipse

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/west...clipse-doctors-warn-of-dangers/464615391
The local schools received boxes of the 'fake' eclipse glasses. Since they don't have enough for all the kids they have decided to cancel school on Monday.

A few of the surrounding counties have also cancelled school on Monday for the eclipse.
Originally Posted by ronc
Make sure your mask is shade 12 or higher.

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety

Yep, I just looked at my welding mask and it's a 10. I took a quick glance at the sun through it and it's still really bright. I think last time, we took a couple of shades and over lapped them.

Originally Posted by Steelhead
The local schools received boxes of the 'fake' eclipse glasses. Since they don't have enough for all the kids they have decided to cancel school on Monday.

A few of the surrounding counties have also cancelled school on Monday for the eclipse.

Local schools around here canceled classes for Monday, too, and also gave eclipse viewing glasses to each student on Friday.
The public has been made aware of the 'fake' glasses for around a week or so now, so hopefully those they are giving to students are legit and not the fakes.
Lots of people won't get the message. I expect that many will end up with damaged eyes and there will be enormous lawsuits against those who sold them.
i'll just use my binoculars....
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i'll just use my binoculars....

Lol. Just flip them around and look through 'em backwards. Totally safe!
WildWest, We've got the flip-up style that you can "stack" the lenses! We've got a #9 and a #5 , stacked. Tested them a day or so ago at around high noon....seemed to work well. memtb
I remember Back in '79 it was well advertised to use a roll of B&W film. Pull the film out, let it expose in the sun; cut in 8 or 9 inch lengths, 24 exposure is enough to put across several people's face. Something about the silver coating on BW film is what does the filtering. Google can elaborate.

My wife and I did it. Looked at the sun many times during the eclipse and before and after just cause the sun looked so cool. Neither of us are blind.
© 24hourcampfire