Home
Posted By: fish head It's Begining - 08/21/17
It's starting to get dark in N CA.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: It's Begining - 08/21/17
Well, I wouldn't call it dark in southern Oregon, but you can see it. The smoke from the 90,000 acre fire in the Chetco area is making for a real interesting eclipse.
Posted By: deflave Re: It's Begining - 08/21/17
If you don't have goggles or welding gear you can use your iPhone. Works pretty slick actually.

Dave
Posted By: 280shooter Re: It's Begining - 08/21/17
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: It's Begining - 08/21/17
I've read that viewing it on your cell phone in selfie mode can blind you, too, due to reflecting sunlight towards your eyes.
Posted By: Ringman Re: It's Begining - 08/21/17
A few minutes ago I was at the Grants Pass shooting range. I could see the eclipse starting without glasses because there is so much smoke. When I got home, ten miles north of town, there was not enough smoke so I could not look at it.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: It's Begining - 08/21/17
Originally Posted by deflave
If you don't have goggles or welding gear you can use your iPhone. Works pretty slick actually.

Dave

You might want to clear that with Rock Chuck first.
He seems to be the self appointed authority on all things concerning the eclipse.
Posted By: RWE Re: It's Begining - 08/21/17
Reports are in that its getting dark in Ferguson, MO....
Posted By: deflave Re: It's Begining - 08/21/17
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by deflave

Dave

You might want to clear that with Rock Chuck first.
He seems to be the self appointed authority on all things concerning the eclipse.

He's pretty much awesome.

Dave
I just turned on the news....they're live at Madres OR where half the people are actually wearing tin foil hats.

I chit you not.
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: It's Begining - 08/21/17
Originally Posted by RWE

.........:)
Posted By: Raeford Re: It's Begining - 08/21/17
Originally Posted by RWE

Quit, just stop dammit!
Posted By: MadMooner Re: It's Begining - 08/21/17
I just turned on the news....they're live at Madres OR where half the people are actually wearing tin foil hats.

I chit you not.

Lol!

Definitely got a bit chilly here. Most folks going about there business, one or two of us standing outside doing our best to go blind.

Pretty cool.
We're one minutes from maximum which is 96% for this location. My dogs are still asleep.
Posted By: EdM Re: It's Begining - 08/21/17
A great view of it from here.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: It's Begining - 08/21/17
AWESOME!
Posted By: poboy Re: It's Begining - 08/21/17
Yesterday evening it gradually got darker and darker here.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: It's Begining - 08/21/17
It just passed. I kept waiting for darkness and almost missed it. Very cool.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: It's Begining - 08/21/17
Originally Posted by RWE

On a work day?
WOW - it's dark here like an ever so slightly overcast day! Hope all in the path get a better kick.
Posted By: 6mm250 Re: It's Begining - 08/21/17

I chit you not.

Dumbazzes , everbody knows tin foil don't work , gotta be lead foil.

Mike
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: It's Begining - 08/21/17
Getting daylight in Colorado Springs now.
Posted By: SU35 Re: It's Begining - 08/21/17
In PDX now..

That was the big nothing.

Hype at its finest
Posted By: stxhunter Re: It's Begining - 08/21/17
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I've read that viewing it on your cell phone in selfie mode can blind you, too, due to reflecting sunlight towards your eyes.

no
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: It's Begining - 08/21/17
We had a 98% coverage or thereabouts in Boise. It never got dark dark but the light was definitely weird, very weak like almost twilight but the shadows were all coming from the wrong way. I did notice a sudden uptick in birds flying around more and calling to each other, like they were looking for a place to roost.

I was also hoping to see some nekkid Wiccans and Druids dancing around but there was only one old fat guy in a toga sacrificing a chihuahua so that was a bust.
It totally felt less sunny here!
Posted By: irfubar Re: It's Begining - 08/21/17
This is so coool! I decided to get off my couch and watch the eclipse, well after a few minutes it got to my eyes, so I got my sunglasses for more comfy viewing!

Much better. And dang if they aint right, after a few minutes it went completely dark! how cool, how long does the darkness last?

It is taking longer than I thought so I stumbled into the house to reload the bong and get another six pack and inside my house is pich black , WTF?

No problemo I will turn the lights on, dang the electricity is out, still no light?

Hmmm, must Trumps fault! did he piss off the norks and they EMP use or what? it is hard to load the bong when it is pitch black. smile
Posted By: keith_dunlap Re: It's Begining - 08/22/17
Drove 3 hrs
Perfect weather. Perfect 100% totality
Awesome event
Better than expected
Will do it again
Posted By: 12344mag Re: It's Begining - 08/22/17
My Liberal anti Trump Brother drove to Carbondale Ill. to view the eclipse, just as totality was about to happen the clouds came rolling in .

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: keith_dunlap Re: It's Begining - 08/22/17
Originally Posted by 12344mag
My Liberal anti Trump Brother drove to Carbondale Ill. to view the eclipse, just as totality was about to happen the clouds came rolling in .

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haha. Us 5 conservatives were 10 miles south and had a perfect view
Posted By: deerstalker Re: It's Begining - 08/22/17
gave the wife and her sister my welding hoods. one is auto darkening. told the wife she might need to clean the lens. go in a couple minutes later and she has it in the sink!
blew it off with the air hose and set it in the sun and it came back. won't tell her that though. need to milk that one.
ohyeah! the sun got to the point it looked like pacman then that was it.
Posted By: kingston Re: It's Begining - 08/22/17
I stacked a #11 shade on a #5 shade. It worked well.

Did anyone else think the light looked like winter?
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: It's Begining - 08/22/17
It is all history now.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: It's Begining - 08/23/17
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Haha. Us 5 conservatives were 10 miles south and had a perfect view

I'll be sure to let him know this, Lol!
© 24hourcampfire