Home
Posted By: tcb22 RV water heater help - 08/25/17
Need some help here, I have an Atwood gas/electric water heater in my RV. The other day it started giving me fits, it went from starting every time I turned on the switch to intermittent and then no start at all. This was on the gas setting. the main switch is working and I have spark, I can see it and have also pulled it out and cleaned the carbon buildup off of it. The thermal cut off fuse is good, I have replaced both the thermostat and ECO as a precaution. I was initially thinking the problem was in the gas valve and replaced it. The original one and it's replacement are electric solenoid operated and I could not hear/feel the original sending gas through every time. As of putting it back together it sparks once and that's it, no start or secondary restart. Any ideas on what I am missing? And yes I have propane.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: RV water heater help - 08/25/17
It would seem to me, if you've got fire/spark, it would be a fuel issue. Have you cleaned the orifice ( tiny hole) where the fuel is delivered to the chamber for ignition? That's where the problem with mine was.
Posted By: hanco Re: RV water heater help - 08/25/17
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical problem.
Posted By: memtb Re: RV water heater help - 08/25/17
tcb22, You mention that it "only" makes one attempt at a start. How long does it spark, one spark or many, and then stop? Mine only sparks for a limited ( not sure exactly how long) time. If I get a fail to start, I must reset! If you get numerous sparks, I would think that the pilot orifice is plugged. You may be able to clean it with a small, stiff piece of wire!

Good Luck, memtb
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: RV water heater help - 08/25/17
It takes 3 things to ignite: fuel, spark, and air. If you have the spark and air, the problem is no gas. I agree that the orifice may be plugged. It should just screw on to the end of the gas line and be easy to remove and clean.
Spider in the gas line?
Posted By: tcb22 Re: RV water heater help - 08/25/17
Orifice is clear I pulled it out and checked it when I replaced the gas valve, also no obstructions in the heat/flame tube. I only get one spark per on on the switch and am wondering if it's supposed to have multiple sparks.
Posted By: CraigD Re: RV water heater help - 08/25/17
Mine sparks continuously until the pilot light is lit. A thermal switch must be involved as once the pilot it lit it stop sparking.
Posted By: tcb22 Re: RV water heater help - 08/28/17
Fixed, bad circuit board
© 24hourcampfire