Home
Posted By: Kenneth Chiggers. - 09/05/17
Junior was down in Tennessee 10 days ago, swimming and such....

He still has all kinds of small red "bites" on his legs.. somewhat itchy he says,

Whats the tried and true remedy?
Posted By: longarm Re: Chiggers. - 09/05/17
No longer known as 'chiggers'.
They are now 'insects of color' to you...
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Chiggers. - 09/05/17
I got bit up about 4 weeks ago and still have scars and itch spots. Fingernail polish on the bite area right away helps a lot.
Posted By: lotech Re: Chiggers. - 09/05/17
I've lived in chigger country all my life and have tried the remedies, none of which work. Endure three or four days of agonizing reappraisal and itching, at which point the discomfort subsides considerably. Best to use insect repellent if you even suspect you're in chigger territory. I'm pretty sure anywhere in the South is overwhelmingly chigger country. A few people don't get bit for some reason, but chiggers love most folks.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Chiggers. - 09/05/17
Never could find out just what they do in the world.

I last got into them about 15 years ago and had the sweats and was some kind of unhappy for about a week.

Might try a soak in warm bath with some chlorine.
Or take some benadrill with some camphor or get some cortisone cream.

The nail polish thing only works if they have not been scratched,i don't know anyone that could resist doing that.

And for years after they got me bad whenever i went back down there i could feel them suckers itching all over again. frown
Posted By: arky65 Re: Chiggers. - 09/05/17
Best remedy I have tried is, damp a washcloth or paper towel with vinegar and pass it over the bites. This makes it a little more tolerable and you smell like a pickle. smile
Posted By: Deerwhacker444 Re: Chiggers. - 09/05/17
The chigger is long gone, the itching is a reaction to the chigger bite. Use a OTC steroid cream if you have one and an antihistamine should help as well if it's bad.
Posted By: viking Re: Chiggers. - 09/05/17
Clear finger nail polish. Walgreens sells something for it that's like the polish.
Posted By: Fubarski Re: Chiggers. - 09/05/17
http://cortizone10.com/intensive-healing-anti-itch-creme.html
Posted By: gremcat Re: Chiggers. - 09/05/17
Yup just the dead tissue around the feeding tube. They got me a few times in Raleigh. Usually you get them once then get real cautious. Then figure they can't be around this early/late and boom get them again. Steroid cremes and anti-histamine, sometimes tried nail polish. I heard it fills the hole and keeps you from itching it.

I read somewhere about a group in a concentration camp that the Nazis wouldn't go near because of Fleas/Ticks/ maybe Chiggers. Saved their lives so God had a purpose for them there. Kind of changed my perspective on them. At least until I get ate up again. Permethrin soaked clothes tucked into boots also sprayed and long sleeves. Even Under Armour type long sleeves sprayed in it do the trick. Just make sure it's dried and it lasts a few washes.
Posted By: deflave Re: Chiggers. - 09/05/17
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Chiggers. - 09/05/17
Originally Posted by Kenneth

He still has all kinds of small red "bites" on his legs.. somewhat itchy he says,

The tried & true method is a preemptive strike. I always spray insect repellent on my shoes and pant cuffs. When hunting I tuck the pants into my snake boots and generously spray the boots. Never, ever have a problem with them as such. I have forgotten a time or two & paid the price.
Posted By: Fubarski Re: Chiggers. - 09/05/17
Originally Posted by Reloder28

The tried & true method is a preemptive strike. I always spray insect repellent on my shoes and pant cuffs. When hunting I tuck the pants into my snake boots and generously spray the boots. Never, ever have a problem with them as such. I have forgotten a time or two & paid the price.

Does this method come with a time machine?
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Chiggers. - 09/05/17
For some reason they don't like me much. I can walk around in shorts, while my hunting partner can have long britches on and they will eat him up.

The few that get on me I rub them down with the real deal rubbing alcohol. 91%?
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Chiggers. - 09/06/17
Originally Posted by Fubarski

Does this method come with a time machine?

Unfotunately, no. Next time you will be glad you had this stark reminder and you'll be less likely to repeat.
Posted By: viking Re: Chiggers. - 09/06/17
Originally Posted by deflave

Crabs?
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Chiggers. - 09/06/17
Baking soda poured in a hot bath works every time I used to get eat alive when I was a kid they don't bother me now
Posted By: EQFD193 Re: Chiggers. - 09/06/17
In the Northeast we are cursed with the Lavae of the Lone star tick (the chigger equivalent)...same side effects....itchy, oozing sores. I made the mistake of doing a quick estimate recently without spraying with a permethrin product. I was "Lucky" enough to walk away with only a few bites...Rite Aid first aid medicated spray seemed to help with the itching...
Posted By: Hancock27 Re: Chiggers. - 09/06/17
CHIG AWAY Works, Now CVS and I think Walgreens have their own brands, Google it, It works!
Posted By: Fubarski Re: Chiggers. - 09/06/17
Originally Posted by viking

Crabs?

If your crabs is itchin, go for it.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Chiggers. - 09/06/17
Originally Posted by lotech
I've lived in chigger country all my life and have tried the remedies, none of which work. Endure three or four days of agonizing reappraisal and itching, at which point the discomfort subsides considerably. Best to use insect repellent if you even suspect you're in chigger territory. I'm pretty sure anywhere in the South is overwhelmingly chigger country. A few people don't get bit for some reason, but chiggers love most folks.

they don't bother me, and i don't get bit by skeeters much.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Chiggers. - 09/06/17
Scratch em til they bleed. Since you can't find Chigger-Rid anymore, this is the only relief I know of.
Posted By: byc Re: Chiggers. - 09/06/17
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
The chigger is long gone, the itching is a reaction to the chigger bite. Use a OTC steroid cream if you have one and an antihistamine should help as well if it's bad.

Yup!! And lesson learned that when you move away from those playful fields and back to the house a Clorox shower is your friend.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Chiggers. - 09/06/17
Dab fingernail polish on the red spots. The itching will stop quickly.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Chiggers. - 09/06/17
You just gota wait until they stop itching. Stay out of the sun ,hot weather makes them itch worse. Funny i was at a friends house 2 hrs ago and he had gotten eat up with them this weekend.he wasn't to happy.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Chiggers. - 09/06/17
Stylostome is the cause of the itch.
Posted By: lastofthebreed Re: Chiggers. - 09/06/17
Chiggers and ticks are the bane of all people who love the outdoors. For some reason it seems as if the two of them don't bother me much. I can go into the same area as my buds and they will get eaten alive while I will only get a bite or two. Perhaps it's my body odor?
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Chiggers. - 09/06/17
Anything applied so they cannot breath and the problems will be 10 times less. Otherwise use OFF on your clothing and skin.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Chiggers. - 09/06/17
When you get a chigger bite, the chigger is still in the skin where they bit you.
As slum and DW said the chigger has vacated and what's left behind is Stylostome. Takes about 2 weeks for the larvae to be done with you.
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: Chiggers. - 09/06/17
I'm VERY allergic to them. I have literally tried all the popular stuff. That said, prevention is the key... I try to ALWAYS spray with some deep woods off EVERY time I get out of the truck. This takes care of 99.9%. The odd chigger bite I do get (sweated off the OFF) I can take car of with Tea Tree Oil.... this stuff is the cat's ass on bites... I can put a dab on a bite twice a day and by day 2 or 3 it's almost healed.

Tea Tree Oil is at CVS or Walgreens... best product out there by far.

If you get several hundred bites, just suck it up and get a light steroid shot... Benadryl will work for slightly less severe cases.
Posted By: Deer Turd Re: Chiggers. - 09/06/17
Might try a remedy my dad offered for crabs.

A mirror placed on the floor. Squat naked over it and crabs jump right on it when they think it's a new ass.
Posted By: Mull Re: Chiggers. - 09/06/17
Chigger Rid. They Sell It at CVS. If It Cost $500 A Bottle It Would Be a Buy... I Hate Them S.O.B.
Posted By: agazain Re: Chiggers. - 09/06/17
Anbesol (liquid)
Say what you want about this post but I have been to the buggiest jungles of Costa Rica several times and I always used Avon's skin so soft, which protected me from every kind of gnarly insect invasion you can imagine.

Never knowingly tried it against ants, which I believe to be man's deadliest enemy if you're on the ground.

I still use it to this day even here. Preventative measure of course. And it attracts the best looking doe!! smile

Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Chiggers. - 09/06/17
Got literally hundreds of bites on my ankles and feet a few years ago. I was darn miserable. My best advice is to just cope with them as best you can. Allow yourself to scratch for a day and then tough it out.
Calamine is good for the itching. One thing for sure the scratching will scar you. But then chicks dig scars right?

Maybe chiggers dig scars as well. wink
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Chiggers. - 09/06/17
Geez. Nothing like that here.
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Chiggers. - 09/06/17
Originally Posted by longarm

lol
Posted By: Batchief909 Re: Chiggers. - 09/06/17
Campho-Phenique pain and itch antiseptic, works wonders!
Posted By: persiandog Re: Chiggers. - 09/06/17
wash it with coke.
P.
Posted By: K1500 Re: Chiggers. - 09/06/17
For temporary relief, try rubbing some table salt on your ankles. It stops the itching.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Chiggers. - 09/06/17
Clear finger nail polish works too If not mentioned ....yeah, im lazy tonight.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Chiggers. - 09/06/17
http://www.wibw.com/home/headlines/Oak-mites-might-be-the-culprit-to-your-itchy-bites-329362331.html

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=oak+tree+mite+bites&qpvt=oak+tree+mite+bites
Posted By: milespatton Re: Chiggers. - 09/06/17
Chiggers are a strange animal. Here in Arkansas we have them in early summer and then in late August and it usually gets dry, they are no problem. I was talking to RIO7, who lives in South Texas, where it is always dry (nearly), and He said they are bad during Dove season there, in Sept. Maybe they migrate South. I used to work with a girl that read a lot, and was full of trivia, and She said that if you had no hair on your legs, chiggers would leave you alone. I can't argue that one way or the other, but She never applied chigger spray like the rest of us. miles
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: Chiggers. - 09/06/17
The itching is caused by your mast cells degranulating and releasing histamine.

"Histamine dilates post-capillary venules, activates the endothelium, and increases blood vessel permeability. This leads to local edema (swelling), warmth, redness, and the attraction of other inflammatory cells to the site of release. It also depolarizes nerve endings (leading to itching or pain). Cutaneous signs of histamine release are the "flare and wheal"-reaction. The bump and redness immediately following a mosquito bite are a good example of this reaction, which occurs seconds after challenge of the mast cell."

Heat can be a trigger for degranulation. Use a blow dryer on the bites ( or poison ivy ) to trigger your cells to release most of their histamine at once. Then apply or take antihistamines. This will offer relief for several hours.
Posted By: Azshooter Re: Chiggers. - 09/06/17
Some of the posters said you will be better in a few weeks and that is the aweful truth. Nothing seems to make the issue go away but time.

I got nailed with chigger bites a few weeks ago. Had them all over my torso and legs. I tried chiggerex, took benedryl AND zantac to tame the alergic reaction. Tried cortizone 10 too. Not very effective in dealing with the itch.

I was reading what others tried that worked and some guy said use dawn dishwashing soap gently rubbed into the bite with a tuffy pad. It worked! It stops the the itch for 8-10 hrs. Works good on kissing bug bites too.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Chiggers. - 09/06/17
If you don't scratch them they heal up fast. I used to hunt a place where they were really bad. I wore rubber boots and sprayed everything heavily. Permanone treated clothes work well. Taking a bath as soon as you get home with bleach water can help. If you refuse to scratch them they will go away in 3 or 4 days. If you scratch them and open up the sores 2 weeks.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Chiggers. - 09/06/17
If you hunt somewhere that does not have seed ticks or chiggers, enjoy your fantasyland. This is everday chit in Tn.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Chiggers. - 09/06/17
We have lots of ticks in spring, but none in fall except on deer.
Posted By: Timberlake Re: Chiggers. - 09/06/17
If you've been out and about in known infested areas, your best up front protection is deep woods spray on clothing. When removed from the area get a good hot, soapy shower within 2-3 hrs max of exposure, whether or not you've been sprayed. If welts show up, use Chigger Rid, model airplane glue or clear finger nail polish.
Posted By: Simoneaud Re: Chiggers. - 09/06/17
I get them all the time in Woodville Mississippi. I don't get them in south Louisiana, never did here. In Woodville we spray OFF before going out, they say wear black clothing, socks, underwear, boots, not white. like mentioned the clorox and ointments work. I use chiggerX, still have some.

I heard if you take garlic pills you may not get bit and/or eat alot of garlic.

I get them, I try not to scratch. I use the ointments too.

It sucks, but I ain't staying home
Posted By: Hutch Re: Chiggers. - 09/06/17
If I think I have some on me,I will wash off with flea and tick shampoo. It will kill them instantly. Then wash with regular soap.
Posted By: Simoneaud Re: Chiggers. - 09/06/17
not a bad idea, kind like washing a great dane
Posted By: Hutch Re: Chiggers. - 09/06/17
More like a bulldog<grin>
Posted By: hanco Re: Chiggers. - 09/06/17
I've used the flea and tuck soap. It works!!
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Chiggers. - 09/06/17
Why all the crap about chiggers?
Get some of your wives/girfriends nail polish.
Color of your choice

Dab it on the red spots and relax
The itching will stop almost immediatley, in a couple days --- all gone

Hey, it aint that hard!!
Posted By: WyColoCowboy Re: Chiggers. - 09/06/17
Originally Posted by Timberlake
If you've been out and about in known infested areas, your best up front protection is deep woods spray on clothing. When removed from the area get a good hot, soapy shower within 2-3 hrs max of exposure, whether or not you've been sprayed. If welts show up, use Chigger Rid, model airplane glue or clear finger nail polish.

Yep, when you come inside, get in and shower immediately. You body will have a lot of chiggers that haven't bitten yet and you gotta get them off. And put your clothes through the wash immediately as well.
Posted By: viking Re: Chiggers. - 09/07/17
I've talked to guys who had them on the ol'sack. Sounded like a living hell.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Chiggers. - 09/07/17
Chiggers suck, but it's just part of life just like seed ticks. I'd rather have chiggers than seed ticks.
Posted By: byc Re: Chiggers. - 09/07/17
You know Ken were I your son I'd just get a big bowl, mix up everything that's been suggested and smear it on. Could be an all new chigger remedy!!

Patent the recipe and make a gazillion!

Hope he's doing better!
Posted By: barm Re: Chiggers. - 09/07/17
If it's really bad, you might talk to your primary care physician about a script for prednisone.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Chiggers. - 09/07/17
Originally Posted by byc
You know Ken were I your son I'd just get a big bowl, mix up everything that's been suggested and smear it on.

!

I'll admit, I asked for advice......

So far,

Reloader28 was offering a time machine....

Roger appeared to be willing to substitute his body as a surrogate....

Something about finger nail polish, all over a boys legs............ traditional rainbow colors I assume?

Something about pooping crabs onto a mirror or such....

Fireball actually wins one......

Wash it with Coke? Coke is reserved for Bacardi Gold in this house......

Rub with Table salt? again, reserved for Tequila.......

No hair on legs, No chiggers....... Then European women must suffer immensely after visiting the South......

Dawn dish-washing soap, Had to google that......

Again the nail-polish,,,, so which guy wants credit for this discovery? The idea of nail polish down by his toes......and exactly whose nail polish was it really?.......

chiggers, seed ticks, snakes, grits, hominy, chiitlins......No wonder you Southern people have such attitudes.....
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Chiggers. - 09/07/17
No, its why were tough.
Posted By: victoro Re: Chiggers. - 09/07/17
Sulfur powder keeps chiggers off. Once they get you they got you.
Originally Posted by jaguartx
No, its why were tough.

Perfect example, You always seem soooooo happy.
Posted By: wyoming260 Re: Chiggers. - 09/07/17

There is a product called Chiggerex , that works real well . I believe it ia small white container with a red lid. I used it more then a few times hunting in the East.
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: Chiggers. - 09/07/17
Something about finger nail polish, all over a boys legs............ traditional rainbow colors I assume?

There is such a thing as clear nail polish. I've never used it for chiggers, but heard tell it works OK as a lower strength thread locker.

Originally Posted by victoro
Sulfur powder keeps chiggers off. Once they get you they got you.

Looking at the ingredients for that Chigg-Away ... sulfur to repel and benzocaine to relieve the itching.

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS:

10% Precipitated Sulfur U.S.P.
5% Benzocaine
The fact that so many guys have found so many uses for finger nail polish, freaks me the Hell out.

Exactly what was the line of thinking here?

You had a bottle of nail polish in your hand......and you thought, hey, lets try this on my legs?
Posted By: byc Re: Chiggers. - 09/07/17
frankly I found the poo--mirror strategy to be equally disturbing. Thinking this is just a peeping Tom in his own bathroom! sick
Posted By: deflave Re: Chiggers. - 09/07/17
The fact that so many guys have found so many uses for finger nail polish, freaks me the Hell out.

You had a bottle of nail polish in your hand......and you thought, hey, lets try this on my legs?

The "logic" behind the finger nail polish is an old wive's tail. It was long believed that the chigger burrowed under your skin and lived there and that is why the itching was prolonged. Clear finger nail polish was supposed to "smother" them. Even though they're not there.

There probably was some sort of relief provided by this method but it is likely a placebo effect more than an actual remedy.

Have him try Cortizone 10 and Caladryl. People tend to like Dermoplast also.

Travis
Posted By: deflave Re: Chiggers. - 09/07/17
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Anything applied so they cannot breath and the problems will be 10 times less. Otherwise use OFF on your clothing and skin.

See what I mean? ^^^

Dave
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: Chiggers. - 09/07/17

That's hilarious 😂😂😂😂
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Chiggers. - 09/07/17

The "logic" behind the finger nail polish is an old wive's tail. It was long believed that the chigger burrowed under your skin and lived there and that is why the itching was prolonged. Clear finger nail polish was supposed to "smother" them. Even though they're not there.

There probably was some sort of relief provided by this method but it is likely a placebo effect more than an actual remedy.

Have him try Cortizone 10 and Caladryl. People tend to like Dermoplast also.

Travis

It's not a placebo. It works very well.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Chiggers. - 09/07/17
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco

That's hilarious 😂😂😂😂

It's cheegros you racists wink

If you hunt chucks on cut alfalfa..........you know.
Go prone and pay the price if no insect repellent on (waist, ankles, pits).

When the county fair mows the field for parking...........I take some Off.
Get out of the truck, whole fam sprays ankles.

Coworkers said I was silly.
They went to the fair and got nailed.

Chigarid works. Clear fingernail polish works.
Never had a chigger? Balls itching? Scratched one open?
Yeah, put some Chigarid on it............like setting your jewels in a freakin' frying pan.

Amazing how much you can exhale..........in one long blast.
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Chiggers. - 09/07/17
Wife read a few years ago that the itching is from infection. After decades of suffering from the little demons it turns out that Neosporin and similar topical antibiotics work wonders.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Chiggers. - 09/07/17

That's hilarious 😂😂😂😂

Actually down south as kids we thought it was slang for Half Black and Half Chinese... whistle
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Chiggers. - 09/07/17

That's hilarious 😂😂😂😂

Yep, dat was a good one!
People in my family always referred to them as "red bugs" instead of chiggers, so they are indeed insects of color.
© 24hourcampfire