Home
Posted By: RufusG Evacuation Issue - 09/09/17
Been wondering the last day or so, when the Bolsheviks eventually outlaw the internal combustion engine, will it be possible to evacuate some place like Florida if everyone has electric cars? Is the range long enough? Don't they need a fair period of time to recharge? How do you accommodate everyone's charging needs all at once? If the power is already out I guess that makes your decision for you. Obviously have too much time on my hands to be worrying about something like this.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Evacuation Issue - 09/09/17
They'll have wind powered generators. A hurricane will be ideal to keep them running.
Posted By: Gus Re: Evacuation Issue - 09/09/17
until the forecasting gets a little better, no one will know what direction to go. if one doesn't like the current forecast, wait 2 hours, and it'll change completely. that's just the nature of the beast i reckon.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Evacuation Issue - 09/09/17
Will it be possible...

In a word... No!
Posted By: rem141r Re: Evacuation Issue - 09/09/17
just need a long extension cord.
Posted By: byc Re: Evacuation Issue - 09/09/17
By the time this happens you'll be able to plug in a USB stick for a quick charge of another 6-8 hours.

That or some kind of wind turbine charge on demand.
Posted By: hanco Re: Evacuation Issue - 09/09/17
Everyone drowns
Posted By: Dixie_Dude Re: Evacuation Issue - 09/09/17
With a Tesla Model S, with the optional extra battery, you can get about 280 miles on a charge at 70 mph. Now with Tesla's free charging stations (they have a map online where they are, and one is in my hometown at the mall about 2 miles from my house). They can recharge you in about 45 minutes for another 280 miles. They have charging stations paced about 200 miles apart across the country following the interstate system. Florida is LONG, and if you were in south Florida, you would have to recharge probably around Orlando then get to the Georgia border. With an extension chord, you can recharge at a motel where you can pull up to the door in front and recharge with 110v in about 8 hours, about 3 hours with 220v. Then the quick charge is about 440 or so at their charging stations in about 45 minutes. Tesla made their charging equipment connections free to other companies if they make electric cars. Top speed is 140 mph, 0-60 in 3 seconds. However faster than 70 and your range goes down. 45 mph and you might get 400-500 miles on a charge.

Tesla is coming out with a tractor trailer truck (18 wheeler) soon, it will be announced on Sept. 28. It's range will probably be much greater. They have their new Model 3's coming out soon for $35,000 and have a back order with down payments of over 100,000 from customers.

I have seriously considered one. I can recharge about once every two weeks at our mall FREE, and not use my power for around town driving. Then I could use it by planning my routes for vacations and visiting my kids. No cost for fuel. The fuel savings alone would help pay for the car. No oil changes, etc. One of the German car companies is going all-electric on their vehicles within 10 years. Tesla sells a huge amount of vehicles to China, because of pollution and their higher cost of imported oil. I believe we are on the beginning of conversion to electrics or at least all hybrids within 20 years. Prices are coming down on electrics to compete with gasoline vehicles. Speed and range are much better than 30 years ago.
Posted By: hatari Re: Evacuation Issue - 09/09/17
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
They'll have wind powered generators. A hurricane will be ideal to keep them running.

LMAO👍👍
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Evacuation Issue - 09/09/17
Originally Posted by RufusG
Been wondering the last day or so, when the Bolsheviks eventually outlaw the internal combustion engine, will it be possible to evacuate some place like Florida if everyone has electric cars? Is the range long enough? Don't they need a fair period of time to recharge? How do you accommodate everyone's charging needs all at once? If the power is already out I guess that makes your decision for you. Obviously have too much time on my hands to be worrying about something like this.

I think the ultimate plan is that at service stations you don't charge your batteries, but replace your batteries with fully charged ones. They then take your batteries and charge them so they can be placed in some other car.
Posted By: RufusG Re: Evacuation Issue - 09/09/17
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I think the ultimate plan is that at service stations you don't charge your batteries, but replace your batteries with fully charged ones. They then take your batteries and charge them so they can be placed in some other car.

That would certainly work better, at least for a while, than the 45 minutes Dixie Dude describes above, but I think the sheer volume of people going long distance at the same time would break that system down eventually.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Evacuation Issue - 09/09/17
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
With a Tesla Model S, with the optional extra battery, you can get about 280 miles on a charge at 70 mph. Now with Tesla's free charging stations (they have a map online where they are, and one is in my hometown at the mall about 2 miles from my house). They can recharge you in about 45 minutes for another 280 miles. They have charging stations paced about 200 miles apart across the country following the interstate system. Florida is LONG, and if you were in south Florida, you would have to recharge probably around Orlando then get to the Georgia border. With an extension chord, you can recharge at a motel where you can pull up to the door in front and recharge with 110v in about 8 hours, about 3 hours with 220v. Then the quick charge is about 440 or so at their charging stations in about 45 minutes. Tesla made their charging equipment connections free to other companies if they make electric cars. Top speed is 140 mph, 0-60 in 3 seconds. However faster than 70 and your range goes down. 45 mph and you might get 400-500 miles on a charge.

Tesla is coming out with a tractor trailer truck (18 wheeler) soon, it will be announced on Sept. 28. It's range will probably be much greater. They have their new Model 3's coming out soon for $35,000 and have a back order with down payments of over 100,000 from customers.

I have seriously considered one. I can recharge about once every two weeks at our mall FREE, and not use my power for around town driving. Then I could use it by planning my routes for vacations and visiting my kids. No cost for fuel. The fuel savings alone would help pay for the car. No oil changes, etc. One of the German car companies is going all-electric on their vehicles within 10 years. Tesla sells a huge amount of vehicles to China, because of pollution and their higher cost of imported oil. I believe we are on the beginning of conversion to electrics or at least all hybrids within 20 years. Prices are coming down on electrics to compete with gasoline vehicles. Speed and range are much better than 30 years ago.

Until I can drive 1000 miles in a day with a 15 minutes total worth of stops, they can keep them.
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Evacuation Issue - 09/09/17
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude

Somebody is paying to charge your car now. I hope you don't think it will be free to you forever. Plus we're all paying for your tax subsidy on the purchase. Not to mention who is going to pay to dispose of all the worn out batteries?
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: Evacuation Issue - 09/09/17
Wow good observation ..I never thought of that....we will see what happens somday in sothern California when the have another big one..bet those electric cars won't fare well....funny they won't see it coming either till its to one late...
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Evacuation Issue - 09/09/17
The whole idea is to make it so expensive and such a pain n the arse to drive that only the rich and elite will drive and the rest of us will ride the bus.
Compare any modern car with a 1950 model. They keep inventing and improving and now we have cars that will last 3 times longer, get much better mileage, and keep you a lot safer, too. They'll keep working on electrics and little by little, they'll solve the problems and drawbacks and make them workable. It takes time, money, and some very smart people but they'll get it done. Tesla has done a lot to change electrics and they deserve a lot of applause.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Evacuation Issue - 09/09/17
Pretty simple to deal with the lack of range on Hybrids and Straight Electric Cars...

Just install a mini nuclear reactor in them...
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Evacuation Issue - 09/09/17
They will put a hand crank you can turn and recharge them just like flashlights.
Posted By: 6mm250 Re: Evacuation Issue - 09/09/17
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
They will put a hand crank you can turn and recharge them just like flashlights.

or foot pedals......oh wait...they already got that , it's called a bicycle.

Mike
Posted By: Azshooter Re: Evacuation Issue - 09/09/17
IMHO not a great idea to purchase a Tesla.

Electric vehicles seem (somewhat) interesting till you thoroughly investigate them. Actual cost per mile is close to a gasoline vehicle. Tesla batteries have a life of 8 yrs. Replacement is $12,000!!! Add that to the huge cost of buying the vehicle vs keeping your current gas guzzler and there is little to no economy to owning one. Amortization costs will have you breaking even after decades of ownership if ever.

Sure there is a federal tax credit of $7,500. In some states, additional tax credits or rebates can yield a total rebate of up to $9,500

Then there is the issue of the batteries degrading and finally wearing out.
https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/real-long-term-cost-vs-battery-life

Only the hard to get model 3 which costs $35,000 is worth considering. The other models are extremely expensive ranging from $69,500 to $145,000.
More than 500,000 people have signed up to reserve a Model 3 to date.
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/loans/cost-tesla/

Then there is the feel good part, "they don't pollute". Somewhere electricity is generated. The true description for electric cars is displaced pollution vehicles.

Your mileage may vary.....
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Evacuation Issue - 09/09/17
Given the progress in internal combustion engine efficiency and the nearly unending supply of cheap oil to run them, electric cars are way too late to the party except for dummies who think that electricity is free/non-polluting and that highly-toxic batteries disappear once you stop charging them.
There are 4 dams on the Snake River after it leaves Idaho and before it reaches the Columbia. All 4 have large power plants. There has been a push for years to remove the dams to restore salmon runs up the Snake which were obliterated by the dams. We'll never see another major dam built in this country so cheap, clean power generation is as high as it'll ever be right now. If the greenies keep pushing to remove dams, it will drop, not increase. Now that coal is a bad word, coal plants won't be built either. They're pushing us more and more toward unreliable wind power or nukes and nukes are as 'evil' as coal. As you drive down the Columbia River gorge, you can see thousands of wind mills. I've been through there many times when it's dead calm and none of them are turning. As you get into the Columbia Gorge scenic area, there's more wind but no windmills can be built there as they destroy the scenery.
Eventually the greenies are going to have to realize that we need power for all of those electric cars and it won't come from wind.
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: Evacuation Issue - 09/09/17
Libs never think anything out. They've always pushed for higher fuel mileage, hybrids, and electric cars because they want to save the earth. That's fine, I get it. Nobody wants to pollute the earth and everyone wants to conserve energy. They forgot the part about people paying road taxes on gas and diesel. Less fuel purchases turns into less tax revenue. To compensate, they have to raise fuel taxes for the evil fossil fuel burners and the electric car guys skate free. If everything goes electric, who's going to pay for road improvements and construction?

Hydrogen fuel cells is going to be the future.
Posted By: Paul_M Re: Evacuation Issue - 09/09/17

This one looks good. laugh
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Evacuation Issue - 09/09/17
So what happens when the electric grid that is designed to only handle so much power has a demand placed to charge everyone's electric car at the same time?
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Evacuation Issue - 09/09/17
Holy [bleep], that SNL skit was funny.
Posted By: EdM Re: Evacuation Issue - 09/09/17
Compare any modern car with a 1950 model. They keep inventing and improving and now we have cars that will last 3 times longer, get much better mileage, and keep you a lot safer, too. They'll keep working on electrics and little by little, they'll solve the problems and drawbacks and make them workable. It takes time, money, and some very smart people but they'll get it done. Tesla has done a lot to change electrics and they deserve a lot of applause.

+1
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Evacuation Issue - 09/09/17
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Given the progress in internal combustion engine efficiency and the nearly unending supply of cheap oil to run them, electric cars are way too late to the party except for dummies who think that electricity is free/non-polluting and that highly-toxic batteries disappear once you stop charging them.

THIS ^
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Evacuation Issue - 09/09/17

Tesla has done a lot with tax payer subsidies and cash payments.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Evacuation Issue - 09/09/17
As soon as tax subsidies stop, electric cars will be deader than buggy whips.
Posted By: pavementends Re: Evacuation Issue - 09/09/17
so we've been using gas burners for over 100 years and people evacuating are having trouble finding gas. 45 min to charge per vehicle?
Sounds like a good idea.
Pavementends
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Evacuation Issue - 09/09/17
Electric cars will be sold with sails!
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Evacuation Issue - 09/09/17
I'm still waiting for those flying cars they promised we'd all have by 1960.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Evacuation Issue - 09/09/17
Electric cars cost way too much.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Evacuation Issue - 09/09/17
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Tesla has done a lot with tax payer subsidies and cash payments.

That's very true but I wonder how much is a kickback for Elon Musk and his Space X venture?? He's doing some pretty cool stuff, cutting edge.

My sons best friend just got his drivers license and his dad bought him a new Tesla. It kinda makes my first car (truck) look like I'm a redneck. 😉

I'd still take that old F150 Lariat with its 351 Cleveland. But if my son is riding with a new driver I suppose the Tesla is safer, even if it's $80,000 more than my truck. 😉
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Evacuation Issue - 09/09/17
IIRC, cold weather cuts the range of an electric car by a GREAT deal..... Maybe that will be engineered around at some point.... last I looked into it though, Winter use was pretty much impractical.
© 24hourcampfire