Home
My brothers kids from New York State. Oldest is a Senior at University of Tampa, holed up on campus in a state of the art building, this is a big party for them. Youngest is a Freshman somewhere or other, currently holed up in an old mansion belonging to the family of friend in Panama City Florida, well clear of the dry side of the eye, big party for them too.

Middle one is a Junior at Florida Tech in Melbourne Florida, East Coast, 150 miles north of Miami. Just recently arrived in Florida last month, transferred in from community college. Tonight he's in a hotel in Macon Georgia, can't stay past tonight. Tomorrow he is actually driving 150 miles south to a hotel in Valdosta Georgia.

The reason why he is driving south towards the storm is the f**king dickweeds at Florida Tech have put out that school will be open for business as usual on Tuesday mad and my nephew does not want to miss class.

OK, ASSUMING he has a full tank of gas in Valdosta Monday morning, what are the odds of him driving 300 miles back to Melbourne on Monday, Tuesday, or any day next week?

Serious question, I just found this out. He was supposed to head with a friend for North Carolina but he was worried about missing class.
Hard saying not knowing.

Why go to college if not to miss classes.
Missing a day or two of class in this situation is not going to hurt anything. No college in the age of safe spaces and triggers is going to penalize a student who was evacuated for a natural disaster.
He did make it out of Florida; no small thing, only hotel room he could find online was Macon so he headed there.
Why don't he head to PC? Thought I don't know where the storm is currently headed.
Rest area to sleep, mobile w/running vehicle, couch surfing, etc.

What is the real dilemma here?
Just because the school want's to open Tuesday, doesn't mean it will. Irma will have something to say about those plans.
Mike, sounds like that boy is about to get slapped up-side the head with a large dose of reality!

Prayers for his safety and well being sent.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Why don't he head to PC? Thought I don't know where the storm is currently headed.

That was my suggestion, the thing is a professor told him first day of class he takes off points for absences, never said anything different when this latest situation came up.
Originally Posted by add
Rest area to sleep, mobile w/running vehicle, couch surfing, etc.

What is the real dilemma here?

For me and you, nothing. First time at bat for him.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

That was my suggestion, the thing is a professor told him first day of class he takes off points for absences, never said anything different when this latest situation came up.

The professor answers to someone, go there. I've gone over the 'heads' of a few professors in my time. Lots like to treat freshman like they're kids.
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Mike, sounds like that boy is about to get slapped up-side the head with a large dose of reality!

Prayers for his safety and well being sent.

Tks, I'm thinking he's about to see more rain than he has ever seen, at least it'll be a warm enough rain that he can shower in it if he needs to.
Send soap! smile

The professor answers to someone, go there. I've gone over the 'heads' of a few professors in my time. Lots like to treat freshman like they're kids.

The guy is gonna hear from me, my brother and probl'ly others. The other two nephews were told by their respective colleges (ROTC and Engineering at Tampa, I dunno the other) were told get somewhere safe, be back by Friday if you can.

FWIW the one in question is a Junior, potentially putting himself at some amount of risk over poorly thought out announcements.

The guy is gonna hear from me, my brother and probl'ly others. The other two nephews were told by their respective colleges (ROTC and Engineering at Tampa, I dunno the other) were told get somewhere safe, be back by Friday if you can.

FWIW the one in question is a Junior, potentially putting himself at some amount of risk over poorly thought out announcements.

Look up the dean on Twitter or other social media where your concerns will be visible to a wide audience. It a news outlet picks up that kids are actually headed into danger because of the idiot professor, this will be fixed ASAP.
I know as well as anyone how forecast tracks move around, in fact my usual take is if you're directly in the path 48 hrs out, relax, it's going somewhere else. Be that as it may, the present consensus of the models is that the center of a big Cat 1 or Tropical Storm will pass not far west of or directly over Valdosta, GA around noontime on Monday, coming up from the south.

I'm pretty sure my nephew won't be driving back to Melbourne that day as planned.

How many points? I'd be there if I could with a reasonable effort and not if I couldn't. Ask about extra credit if necessary. I took one class that the only class I showed up for was the final and did fine...but the professor wasn't a dogmatic prick.
If that professor is pulling this in the face and full knowledge of Irma, then he will get his ass handed to him by more than just you. Even liberals baulk at that brand of dumbass.
Thought I heard on the radio that the Gov (Scott?) ordered all schools, colleges, JUCOs, tech schools, etc. closed and to evacuate. Prof is full of it at this point.
Originally Posted by ironbender
Thought I heard on the radio that the Gov (Scott?) ordered all schools, colleges, JUCOs, tech schools, etc. closed and to evacuate. Prof is full of it at this point.

He ordered them closed through Monday:

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. – Today, Governor Rick Scott is directing all public K-12 schools, state colleges, state universities and state offices to close Friday, September 8 – Monday, September 11.

Governor Scott said, “Today, I am directing the closure of all public schools, state colleges, state universities and state offices for their normal activities effective Friday through Monday, to ensure we have every space available for sheltering and staging. Floridians are facing a life-threatening storm in Hurricane Irma, and every family must prepare to evacuate. Our state’s public schools serve a vital role in our communities as shelters for displaced residents and staging areas for hurricane recovery efforts. Closing public schools, state colleges, state universities and state offices will provide local and state emergency officials the flexibility necessary to support shelter and emergency response efforts.”

For detailed shelter information, visit www.fldoe.org/irma and www.floridadisaster.org/info.
helpful. Thanks.

Well, that sure as HELL isn't the direction I would go. It's up to your nephew to explain his case (assuming he can't make it back) and to go over the professor's head, if needed.

It sure as hell is not YOUR place nor your BROTHER'S place to talk to the professor.

This is the problem, the young man needs to stand up for himself. I'd be embarrassed, and pissed, if my dad and uncle had to fight MY battles when I was 18. But it wouldn't have been a problem, because dad wouldn't have. He knew I had to stand for myself.

If your nephew is too sheepish, then let him be eaten, he'll either learn or he'll become another door mat, there are plenty of them around.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Look up the dean on Twitter or other social media where your concerns will be visible to a wide audience. It a news outlet picks up that kids are actually headed into danger because of the idiot professor, this will be fixed ASAP.

Oh my Lord, not the approach I'd use either. People need to learn to make decisions for themselves.
Folks might be surprised at how clueless people who have never been around 'em are about tropical cyclones. We have prevailed upon the lad to remain in place.

As for the standing up for yourself thing, this ain't like a bully was taking his lunch money in Middle School. My sister's kid is not yet 25 and is already a Lieutenant in the Army Reserves as well as being the City Engineer for a town in NY State. As a Freshman he lost his ROTC scholarship at Drexel for a semester due to the idiot class policy of a friggin Freshman English adjunct instructor, the sort of idiot Lib who can't even change a tire. My nephew was so embarrassed at failing we didn't find out until it was too late. I consigned one of his loans, he's good for it of course but a timely intervention coulda saved him a bunch of money.

All my nephew in Florida heard a couple of days back from the Govenor on down was GET OUT NOW so he did, and from the Professor be back by Tuesday, so he was planning accordingly, never having been around an actual hurricane. Whoever that Professor is, he or she needs to know to think next time. I'm hoping at least this person teaches a subject of some substance and not some crap class.
Again, he needs to stand for himself and think for himself.
All my nephew in Florida heard a couple of days back from the Govenor on down was GET OUT NOW so he did, and from the Professor be back by Tuesday, so he was planning accordingly, never having been around an actual hurricane.

Is this young fellow bright enough to attend college, savvy what the words doing one's own historic research mean ?

no offense intended, ....he sounds dumber than a box of rocks.

GTC
Be a man, make decisions, learn from the results.
THAT is an education.
Some phag telling you to do stupid stuff isn't.
Folks might be surprised at how clueless people who have never been around 'em are about tropical cyclones. We have prevailed upon the lad to remain in place.

As for the standing up for yourself thing, this ain't like a bully was taking his lunch money in Middle School. My sister's kid is not yet 25 and is already a Lieutenant in the Army Reserves as well as being the City Engineer for a town in NY State. As a Freshman he lost his ROTC scholarship at Drexel for a semester due to the idiot class policy of a friggin Freshman English adjunct instructor, the sort of idiot Lib who can't even change a tire. My nephew was so embarrassed at failing we didn't find out until it was too late. I consigned one of his loans, he's good for it of course but a timely intervention coulda saved him a bunch of money.

All my nephew in Florida heard a couple of days back from the Govenor on down was GET OUT NOW so he did, and from the Professor be back by Tuesday, so he was planning accordingly, never having been around an actual hurricane. Whoever that Professor is, he or she needs to know to think next time. I'm hoping at least this person teaches a subject of some substance and not some crap class.

I still can't wrap my head around that. Hopefully someone can coddle him till he's 50.
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
All my nephew in Florida heard a couple of days back from the Govenor on down was GET OUT NOW so he did, and from the Professor be back by Tuesday, so he was planning accordingly, never having been around an actual hurricane.

Is this young fellow bright enough to attend college, savvy what the words doing one's own historic research mean ?

no offense intended, ....he sounds dumber than a box of rocks.

GTC

Ya, we was all geniuses at that age. I wish I woulda known earlier, I would have told him to hang a left on I 10, head west, and get on the dry side of the eye.
He shouldn't worry about losing points for being absent (especially if he is a decent student). He won't be the only one absent in the aftermath of a major hurricane. Even if the prof. deducts points now, he will give them back when he scales grades at the end of the semester.

My advice would be Party On!
Ya, he was planning to drive through a hurricane to get to class because he's been coddled.

That Professor put my blood kin at risk through stupidity on their part, so ya they get to hear from me.

Others' MMV
Ya, he was planning to drive through a hurricane to get to class because he's been coddled.

That Professor put my blood kin at risk through stupidity on their part, so ya they get to hear from me.

Others' MMV

That professor put NO ONE at risk. Sweet Jesus, you sound just like a liberal, which you are. BLAME, BLAME, BLAME.

He's a [bleep] adult, but go ahead and go full liberal retard on him.

Good Christ, what a bunch of [bleep] pussies in your family

I still can't wrap my head around that. Hopefully someone can coddle him till he's 50.

At which point he will happily vote Democrat

Advice? MYOB. The fact that you're on here asking for advice on someone else's grown children speaks volumes.
Actually, I was wanting testimony from actual Floridians to pass on to the lad verbatim, so determined was he to be there Tuesday am. As for the rest, my brothers and sisters kids are also mine, and vice versa. Always been that way among my clan, YMMV.

The reason why he is driving south towards the storm is the f**king dickweeds at Florida Tech have put out that school will be open for business as usual on Tuesday mad and my nephew does not want to miss class.

OK, ASSUMING he has a full tank of gas in Valdosta Monday morning, what are the odds of him driving 300 miles back to Melbourne on Monday, Tuesday, or any day next week?

Serious question, I just found this out. He was supposed to head with a friend for North Carolina but he was worried about missing class.

Well, there will be a lot of his peers missing Tuesday classes. Irma will be ballpark Cat 1/TS as it moves thru the Gainesville latitudes around daybreak Monday and continues north. He will probably find I75/95 kind of lonely in the southbound lanes however. Weather at FL Tech will be windy and sloppy all day M/T and most likely T/W between J'ville and Valdosta.

FWIW, I have a degree from the school and (OMG!) missed a few classes along the way. No big deal then, or today. Profs give him any crap about missing a class, he needs to dose them with pepper spray. It will help them do what liberals do.....cry a lot........and remind them to pick on more supple targets.
Giving out the instruction that you had better be in class Tuesday or else, given the totality of the circumstance, implies culpability on that Professor's part. Perhaps I will get a different version from the Professor.

To the best of my knowledge Steelhead, you do not have a nephew who is a City Engineer and a Commissioned Officer, neither do you have a nephew currently serving enlisted in Kuwait, with orders for Afghanistan, after declining his acceptance to West Point. Most likely too your whole family will not be converging on Tampa next May to watch the first salute of a third nephew upon his Commisioning.

Mostly what you do here is write womanly spiteful coments to folks.

The nephew who is the topic of this thread is number four by age, if he turns out to be a screaming Lib because of me contacting his Prof to tell em my nephew was about ready to kill hisself rather than miss class because of what he said then well hey, three out of four ain't bad wink
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick
He shouldn't worry about losing points for being absent (especially if he is a decent student). He won't be the only one absent in the aftermath of a major hurricane. Even if the prof. deducts points now, he will give them back when he scales grades at the end of the semester.

No such luck.

If I'd thought to check this time yesterday he'd be in Panama City partying with his brother and crew right now. As it is he'll
most likely be carefully conserving his stale hotel breakfast buffet bagels and watching the flat screen TV in his room.

Heck, I need to tell him to pick up a couple of cases of beer right now and go camp out at the nearest rest area grin
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

At which point he will happily vote Democrat

Advice? MYOB. The fact that you're on here asking for advice on someone else's grown children speaks volumes.

You are probably spot on, nyrifleman.

As for the kid, it doesn't sound like this is his first rodeo at being less than bright. Some people are genius but they don't have enough common sense to sharpen a pencil when the time comes.

..... As a Freshman he lost his ROTC scholarship at Drexel for a semester due to the idiot class policy of a friggin Freshman English adjunct instructor, the sort of idiot Lib who can't even change a tire. My nephew was so embarrassed at failing we didn't find out until it was too late. I consigned one of his loans, he's good for it of course but a timely intervention coulda saved him a bunch of money.

He lost his scholarship for a semester not because of "a friggin Freshman English adjunct instructor". He lost it because either he was told his entire life that he was special and rules did to apply to him by adult figures in his life, or maybe he's just not very bright concerning rules - good or bad - and how they can be administered in real life. If going to class was a requirement, it doesn't take a genius to see the light about not going to class. Anyone who has gone to college has been there. For an analogy, you, I, and anyone else who has ever waked into a gun shop since 1968 has been required to fill out a Form 4473 in order to buy a gun. Its a stupid law made by stupid people and it is not what the 2nd Amendment was written for, but it is reality. The same applies to a professor's possibly stupid attendance requirement, whether the professor is a conservative or a liberal is immaterial.

Its probably time for Uncle Birdie and Dad to back away and let Junior sink of swim on his own. At the rate you're protecting him, by the age of 30 he might have the highest IQ on his highway construction crew. Unless you or his dad can intervene and get him made foreman of the crew the day he's hired. In my realm of experience and the experience of others, Vietnam was filled with genius Lieutenant platoon leaders with tremendous resumes who in some cases couldn't think straight whether shots were being fired or not. Others were true leaders. I'd bet good money where Junior might fit in in today's military.

In total, your post is TFF to actually believe it.

Failed the class in December because of something in September, thought he had an "A", had an A every time he checked until the final grades were posted. Anyways, cream rises, Engineering is a real deal, ya don't excel in it by being a snowflake. A "F" instead of an "A" wouldn't be terminal for nephew 4 either.

As for the rest, I am in the habit of speaking the truth, naturally I couldn't GAS what you think.
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick

No such luck.

If I'd thought to check this time yesterday he'd be in Panama City partying with his brother and crew right now. As it is he'll
most likely be carefully conserving his stale hotel breakfast buffet bagels and watching the flat screen TV in his room.

Heck, I need to tell him to pick up a couple of cases of beer right now and go camp out at the nearest rest area grin

Crap, turns out he ain't old enough to buy beer.
Just a note to brag some more on my nephews cool

My sister married a guy who turned out to be an abusive liar, being a believing Catholic she stuck it out for the sake of the three boys. Worse, those boys were growing up with no correction from their father and were beginning to verbally abuse my sister the exact same way their father did.

Then, after 20 years of marriage the prick impregnates a former stripper, 20 years his junior, abandoned his family for her.

We was flat amazed at the 180 the three boys did with respect to their mom. From being abusive and disruptive they rallied around and protected her and have worshipped the ground she walks on ever since. All along she had kept 'em in Catholic school at no little expense to herself.
Anyways son #1 is now a City Engineer and a Lieutenant in the Army Reserve. Son #2 declines his Sophomore year acceptance to West Point, went enlisted, and is currently in Kuwait.

Son #3 is back from working on a legal pot farm in California, currently at 19 he's involved with the beautiful adopted 18yo Chinese daughter of a local wealthy couple. She is delinquent as all get out. Until that plays out nobody will be able to tell him a damned thing.
According to the Florida Tech website classes resume Thursday [url=https://www.fit.edu/][/url]

Amazing what you can learn from a google search.
Fuc.k that professor. Let adults (which college students are and should be) take in all the information available including from their family and make an informed decision. I know I wouldn't be listening to my professor in a situation like that.
Just a note to brag some more on my nephews cool

My sister married a guy who turned out to be an abusive liar, being a believing Catholic she stuck it out for the sake of the three boys. Worse, those boys were growing up with no correction from their father and were beginning to verbally abuse my sister the exact same way their father did.

Then, after 20 years of marriage the prick impregnates a former stripper, 20 years his junior, abandoned his family for her.

We was flat amazed at the 180 the three boys did with respect to their mom. From being abusive and disruptive they rallied around and protected her and have worshipped the ground she walks on ever since. All along she had kept 'em in Catholic school at no little expense to herself.
Anyways son #1 is now a City Engineer and a Lieutenant in the Army Reserve. Son #2 declines his Sophomore year acceptance to West Point, went enlisted, and is currently in Kuwait.

Son #3 is back from working on a legal pot farm in California, currently at 19 he's involved with the beautiful adopted 18yo Chinese daughter of a local wealthy couple. She is delinquent as all get out. Until that plays out nobody will be able to tell him a damned thing.

Great story
The storm will be in Tennessee by Tuesday. Unless there is storm damage the weather should be improving there. Getting gas may be the hard part
Google the "prof" to see where s/he is from.

May splain much.
Great Story

Gets better, all three of them have been skydiving with my mom, who just recently completed her 19th and 20th jumps on her 85th birthday cool
You can't make this sheit up
Originally Posted by Ron
According to the Florida Tech website classes resume Thursday [url=https://www.fit.edu/][/url]

Amazing what you can learn from a google search.

Tks, and I have received excellent advice through PM's from locals on the best route for him to get back cool
© 24hourcampfire