Home
Posted By: toltecgriz Vietnam War 3 - 09/20/17
McNamara...Even if we send another 150,000 troops only a one in three chance we'll win. So lets send the troops. Circa 1965 or so.

I didn't put in quotes because it's not how he phrased it exactly, but it's what he said.

I was impressed by the ARVN Marine officer. One tough SOB.
Posted By: deflave Re: Vietnam War 3 - 09/20/17
It's making me angry.

Photos and video compiled into this series is incredible.

Dave
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Vietnam War 3 - 09/20/17
They worked on this for ten years. I'm reserving final judgment but it's been a revelation. On the other hand the guys who could rebut the context are dead. Or it may all be true. We'll see.
Yeah don't get me wrong, I'm not judging too quickly. And it is very well done. Their puzzle piecing is beyond reproach.

When I say it's making me angry I'm referring to a lot of the decision making at the higher levels and yada, yada, yada.

Dave
Posted By: joken2 Re: Vietnam War 3 - 09/20/17

I don't know for a fact but I imagine a good many of the photos and film clips, especially those showing in the field and combat situations, are not necessarily real time but historical stock images that go along with parts of the story and edited in for the visual effect.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Vietnam War 3 - 09/20/17
That SF Col. Rheault seems like an interesting guy.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Vietnam War 3 - 09/20/17
I'm beginning to believe the fighting communists is the same as the colonies fighting Britain for independence.

Yes, they (Vietnamese) appeared to mostly want to not be under French rule, understandable. But as things progressed and north/south lines drawn, unification meant communism. You know, pretty much like the war of northern aggression.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Vietnam War 3 - 09/20/17
It's doesn't get any more complicated than Vietnam. First, the French were pretty good colonials, so much so they considered many of their possessions as "States Of France", in other words, represented in the Chamber Of Deputies in Paris. Wars Of National Liberation became the norm after WWII, with only the Brits being successful (Malaya, Kenya) in keeping the commies out. The United States, in their infinite, altruistic, naive and downright incompetent Foreign Policy, tried to have it both ways. On the one hand we wanted to stop communism, but on the other hand we were equally (and stupidly) against colonialism.

Ho Chi Minh who WAS an admirer of the US and the Founding Fathers, turned to the commies because we half-assed helped the frogs in their colonial (anti-communist) war against Ho. France just didn't have the assets and their idiotic strategy culminating in Dien Bien Phu was the result. So what did we do? much like Bush (43) in Iraq, we went all out and supported a corrupt "democratic" government in the south, just because it was anti-communist and clearly Ho had the upper hand. What we SHOULD have done (and the same goes for Egypt and the Suez, Saudi and of course Iran) was support the Europeans in holding onto their colonies (letting them do the fighting with our financial support) instead of ostensibly siding with the Soviets against "colonialism". Instead, we began the inexorable "mission creep" and corrupted entanglement in Vietnam which would have been fine, had our armed forces been allowed to conduct a winning campaign which we clearly had the muscle to do. One would think we learned our lesson, but we did the same shiet in Afghanistan and Iraq. Nation building and "limited war" with restrictive ROEs were our demise in Vietnam yet we repeated it in SWA AGAIN. We never learn.
Posted By: hatari Re: Vietnam War 3 - 09/20/17
Who said Uncle Ho wasn't a player: wink

"..he lived with and married a Chinese woman, Zeng Xueming (Tăng Tuyết Minh), on 18 October 1926.[19] When his comrades objected to the match, he told them: "I will get married despite your disapproval because I need a woman to teach me the language and keep house."[19] She was 21 and he was 36."
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: Vietnam War 3 - 09/20/17
It's unbelievable how all this buildup to war went unnoticed........... but it sure as hell did.

LBJ could have been a hero if he would have assembled his own foreign policy team instead of keeping JFK/ Bobby team of losers.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Vietnam War 3 - 09/20/17
Originally Posted by joken2

I don't know for a fact but I imagine a good many of the photos and film clips, especially those showing in the field and combat situations, are not necessarily real time but historical stock images that go along with parts of the story and edited in for the visual effect.

The "Stock" photo's they showed near the end of episode three whne they were talking about LZ Xray were from that battle.
Posted By: michiganroadkill Re: Vietnam War 3 - 09/20/17

"That SF Col. Rheault seems like an interesting guy."

I spent a night in 1969 taking Col Rheault and Col Schungel (DCO 5th SFGA) to NTSAC during a night time session of incoming mortars, etc
while he visited Nha Trang just before taking command. He did not last that long in the command though, due to
some not highly publicized activities.

And yes, it is making me quite angry also finding out how bad the upper level decision making was then.
We all knew it sucked, but at that time not aware of how ugly the truth was. Our leaders should all have to have done time in a free fire zone to qualify ( in my humble opinion). The Montagnards suffered the most just for being there.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Vietnam War 3 - 09/20/17
Originally Posted by deflave

When I say it's making me angry I'm referring to a lot of the decision making at the higher levels and yada, yada, yada.

Dave

^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS...as if I weren't pissed enough at them already....
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Vietnam War 3 - 09/20/17
"The United States, in their infinite, altruistic, naive and downright incompetent Foreign Policy, tried to have it both ways. On the one hand we wanted to stop communism, but on the other hand we were equally (and stupidly) against colonialism."

Exactly what happened in the Congo! Kennedy was doing well to even find the place on a map. The Soviets used The power of the UN against the Belgians and the US and played us like a cheap fiddle!
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Vietnam War 3 - 09/20/17
i think some of the video is fill in, but not all. reason for saying that is seeing m16's relatively early in the war.
as to the rest of it, as it was an area of interest, indochina, and a good library, a lot of it was surmised even at the time as to the administration leaders. If the military would have been turned loose, it would have been over pretty quick. We have an excellent military great at breaking things, which is what they are suppose to do. We are lousy at nation building.
I remember that incremental escalation b.s. real well. Johnson wouldn't take a dump or get off the pot.
The series is just to me confirming what i believed or thought at the time.
The government has lied to us a lot, and still continues to do so.
I stopped being a virgin in that respect circa 1966.
But it sure should help younger people understand it when us old fahrts talk about a special place in hell for johnson and his cronies.
Originally Posted by jorgeI
It's doesn't get any more complicated than Vietnam. First, the French were pretty good colonials, so much so they considered many of their possessions as "States Of France", in other words, represented in the Chamber Of Deputies in Paris. Wars Of National Liberation became the norm after WWII, with only the Brits being successful (Malaya, Kenya) in keeping the commies out. The United States, in their infinite, altruistic, naive and downright incompetent Foreign Policy, tried to have it both ways. On the one hand we wanted to stop communism, but on the other hand we were equally (and stupidly) against colonialism.

Ho Chi Minh who WAS an admirer of the US and the Founding Fathers, turned to the commies because we half-assed helped the frogs in their colonial (anti-communist) war against Ho. France just didn't have the assets and their idiotic strategy culminating in Dien Bien Phu was the result. So what did we do? much like Bush (43) in Iraq, we went all out and supported a corrupt "democratic" government in the south, just because it was anti-communist and clearly Ho had the upper hand. What we SHOULD have done (and the same goes for Egypt and the Suez, Saudi and of course Iran) was support the Europeans in holding onto their colonies (letting them do the fighting with our financial support) instead of ostensibly siding with the Soviets against "colonialism". Instead, we began the inexorable "mission creep" and corrupted entanglement in Vietnam which would have been fine, had our armed forces been allowed to conduct a winning campaign which we clearly had the muscle to do. One would think we learned our lesson, but we did the same shiet in Afghanistan and Iraq. Nation building and "limited war" with restrictive ROEs were our demise in Vietnam yet we repeated it in SWA AGAIN. We never learn.

you are a smart man jorge. I have a friend who survived flying a f4 about 80times into north vietnam, and any number of runs low level support other places. It just thrilled me to find out a few years ago that entry/exit paths to north vietnam were being supplied to the north vietnese.
And then all these years later i hear of rules of engagement in the sand box from people dealing with them there. Nothing seems to change.
Except trump, who just said the other day aint' gonna do that any more.
"Johnson wouldn't take a dump or get off the pot"

That's funny Ron. And a bit ironic. Western White House has phones in all the bathrooms right next to crapper!
our politics are so screwed. I remember kerry during his run for the presidency. and his "whites" in vietnam. never looked like he worked up a sweat in vietnam for the most part. I asked a family member who spent a year in the brown water navy about that, given the heat/humidity in vietnam. His comment was he understood it, if for the most part you never left an a/c controlled building.
Then seeing tapes of him at paris, while he was still a member of the navy calling our troops baby killers.
the media never did vet him properly.
or that famous picture of al gore with the butt of an m16 on the ground, barrel pointed at h is head. he had a good gig tho, office worker in saigon with his daddy's bodyguards.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
"Johnson wouldn't take a dump or get off the pot"

That's funny Ron. And a bit ironic. Western White House has phones in all the bathrooms right next to crapper!

i am old enough and memory still enough i remember that too. I have never forgiven him for pulling the beagles ears either.
there is a little email chain i am participating in,one of the guys was three years s.f. in the area. The idiocy of trying to fight a conventional war and training viets to do that when it was really an unconventional war is amazing. You think someone would have talked to the british.
He was also trying to micromanage it down to bombing runs and unit actions, thousands of miles away.
I will never stop being bitter about it.
I have a couple of grandkids active duty right now. prior to their entering long conversations about it explaining the past. My comment was it was/is an honorable thing and even tho it might kill me if they were hurt or lost, i could understand it in some ways. But not due to the b.s. management of politicians in washington.
I have a national cemetary not far from my house. And people buried in it. to get to where they are, i have to pass row after row of headstones. The number in quantity that say vietnam is scary. Even those that survived it, had their lives shortened.
Originally Posted by joken2

Some are but some are from the actual battle or of personnel they're discussing.

Dave
Posted By: CharlieFoxtrot Re: Vietnam War 3 - 09/20/17
CIA withholds ho chi minh's letters -angry, some noname State Dept underling decides he has the best plan and types a get-it-on response for a coup whilst everyone is on vacation - angrier still, McNamara has ph00king marketing flow charts and bar graphs to gauge military effectiveness and goals - furious now. Kennedy and Johnson both reached their decisions to escalate and not looking soft on the commies by the overriding desire to be re-elected instead of taking one for the team. Goddammit. No words.

Johnson said he had "things" he wanted to accomplish. So correct me if I'm wrong, 58,000 good men died so he could pass the civil rights act, food stamp act, gun control act, social security act, Medicaid/medicare, voting rights act, and of course, the PBS act - of which, makes Ken Burns rich. It seems the whole liberal agenda was passed during his time in office. New Deal and Great Society on these boys sacrifice - Goddammit.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Vietnam War 3 - 09/20/17
"The United States, in their infinite, altruistic, naive and downright incompetent Foreign Policy, tried to have it both ways. On the one hand we wanted to stop communism, but on the other hand we were equally (and stupidly) against colonialism."

Exactly what happened in the Congo! Kennedy was doing well to even find the place on a map. The Soviets used The power of the UN against the Belgians and the US and played us like a cheap fiddle!

And Egypt and Iran...
jorge, didn't we damn near get into a throwdown in the Med with the ruskies because a carrier did crazy Ivan during the 7 day war? Johnson as a CinC was truly a piece of work.
do you guys remember country joe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GD8qXInI00

and his famous song at woodstock, i still have that 78
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu9c10xmVCI

keep in mine country joe was a veteran. I love the contrast in his appearance between woodstock and today.
kind of like mine.
but he said it pretty well.
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
CIA withholds ho chi minh's letters -angry, some noname State Dept underling decides he has the best plan and types types a get-it-on response for a coup whilst everyone is on vacation - angrier still, McNamara has ph00king marketing flow charts and bar graphs to gauge military effectiveness and goals - furious now. Kennedy and Johnson both reached their decisions to escalate and not looking soft on the commies by the overriding desire to be re-elected instead of taking one for the team. Goddammit. No words.

Johnson said he had "things" he wanted to accomplish. So correct me if I'm wrong, 58,000 good men died so he could pass the civil rights act, food stamp act, gun control act, social security act, Medicaid/medicare, voting rights act, and of course, the PBS act - of which, makes Ken Burns rich. It seems the whole liberal agenda was passed during his time in office. New Deal and Great Society on these boys sacrifice - Goddammit.

you got it right too, the awakening. There are a lot of people who were to young or not around at that time, or didn't realize what was going on.
a family member was in the hill battles at khe sanh. he got his wires wrattled which is true to this day.
being shelled 24hours a day
being in a foxhole where the concussions are rattling the earth and you realize you are sleeping on a rotting corpse.
and air support being so low that spent shell casings are hitting you in the helmet.
And that doesn't change you?
or my friend on why he doesn't fly anymore. after dropping napalm at about 400knots three hundred feet off the deck turning people into
crispy critters. crispy critters? his words, not mine. A cessna doesn't cut it.
And we have thousands more to join the club from our recent eplorations in the sand box and the stans.
I am dealing with one or more of them on a pretty regular basis.
That stuff screws your mind.
And the ultimate bugger you have to ask yourself, was all of it with the damage worth it? Not many want to face that question.
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: Vietnam War 3 - 09/20/17
I remember an Opinion Columnist writing before the election that only a Republican could retreat from Vietnam. The Dem Party was too invested in it.

It was remarkable at that time since folks still bought into he "politics stops at the water's edge" B.S.
Originally Posted by jorgeI

And Egypt and Iran...

Thank you!!! Bingo!!!
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
CIA withholds ho chi minh's letters -angry, some noname State Dept underling decides he has the best plan and types types a get-it-on response for a coup whilst everyone is on vacation - angrier still, McNamara has ph00king marketing flow charts and bar graphs to gauge military effectiveness and goals - furious now. Kennedy and Johnson both reached their decisions to escalate and not looking soft on the commies by the overriding desire to be re-elected instead of taking one for the team. Goddammit. No words.

you got it right too, the awakening. There are a lot of people who were to young or not around at that time, or didn't realize what was going on.

I was a week old when Kennedy was shot. Dad was with the DoD for 35 years. Some of my earliest memories of dad's job was his small, but not insignificant role supplying the troops in Vietnam.

I was a week old when Kennedy was shot. Dad was with the DoD for 35 years. Some of my earliest memories of dad's job was his small, but not insignificant role supplying the troops in Vietnam.

i remember the moment i found out kennedy had been killed. I was a kennedy democrat, bought his line hook, line, and sinker. My girlfriend was a goldwater girl. After going to college, and reading, and johnson, i realized what a big lie it all was. I switched party affiliations. She did too, now a liberal. I keep thinking i need to switch again to independent as i don't see a lot of difference in the lies on both sides of the aisle.
Posted By: pal Re: Vietnam War 3 - 09/20/17
...some noname State Dept underling decides he has the best plan and types a get-it-on response for a coup whilst everyone is on vacation...

It's called plausible deniability.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Vietnam War 3 - 09/20/17

i remember the moment i found out kennedy had been killed. I was a kennedy democrat, bought his line hook, line, and sinker. My girlfriend was a goldwater girl. After going to college, and reading, and johnson, i realized what a big lie it all was. I switched party affiliations. She did too, now a liberal. I keep thinking i need to switch again to independent as i don't see a lot of difference in the lies on both sides of the aisle.

"All is fair in love and war...[addendum] ...and politics"...???

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...pes-suggest-3595441/#lAIEfbA0hVDZ4Yly.99

"Nixon Prolonged Vietnam War for Political Gain—And Johnson Knew About It, Newly Unclassified Tapes Suggest
Nixon ran on a platform that opposed the Vietnam war, but to win the election, he needed the war to continue
By Colin Schultz
smithsonian.com
March 18, 2013

In 1968, the Paris Peace talks, intended to put an end to the 13-year-long Vietnam War, failed because an aide working for then-Presidential candidate Richard Nixon convinced the South Vietnamese to walk away from the dealings, says a new report by the BBC’s David Taylor. By the late 1960s Americans had been involved in the Vietnam War for nearly a decade, and the ongoing conflict was an incredibly contentious issue, says PBS:

In 1967, with American troop strength in Vietnam reaching 500,000, protest against U.S. participation in the Vietnam War had grown stronger as growing numbers of Americans questioned whether the U.S. war effort could succeed or was morally justifiable. They took their protests to the streets in peace marches, demonstrations, and acts of civil disobedience. Despite the country’s polarization, the balance of American public opinion was beginning to sway toward “de-escalation” of the war.

Nixon’s Presidental campaign needed the war to continue, since Nixon was running on a platform that opposed the war. The BBC:

Nixon feared a breakthrough at the Paris Peace talks designed to find a negotiated settlement to the Vietnam war, and he knew this would derail his campaign.

… In late October 1968 there were major concessions from Hanoi which promised to allow meaningful talks to get underway in Paris – concessions that would justify Johnson calling for a complete bombing halt of North Vietnam. This was exactly what Nixon feared.

President Johnson had at the time a habit of recording all of his phone conversations, and newly released tapes from 1968 detailed that the FBI had “bugged” the telephones of the South Vietnamese ambassador and of Anna Chennault, one of Nixon’s aides. Based on the tapes, says Taylor for the BBC, we learn that in the time leading up to the Paris Peace talks, “Chennault was despatched to the South Vietnamese embassy with a clear message: the South Vietnamese government should withdraw from the talks, refuse to deal with Johnson, and if Nixon was elected, they would get a much better deal.” The Atlantic Wire:

In the recently released tapes, we can hear Johnson being told about Nixon’s interference by Defence Secretary Clark Clifford. The FBI had bugged the South Vietnamese ambassadors phone. They had Chennault lobbying the ambassador on tape. Johnson was justifiably furious — he ordered Nixon’s campaign be placed under FBI surveillance. Johnson passed along a note to Nixon that he knew about the move. Nixon played like he had no idea why the South backed out, and offered to travel to Saigon to get them back to the negotiating table.

Though the basic story of Nixon’s involvement in stalling the Vietnam peace talks has been around before, the new tapes, says the Atlantic Wire, describe how President Johnson knew all about the on-goings but chose not to bring them to the public’s attention: he thought that his intended successor, Hubert Humphrey, was going to beat Nixon in the upcoming election anyway. And, by revealing that he knew about Nixon’s dealings, he’d also have to admit to having spied on the South Vietnamese ambassador.

Eventually, Nixon won by just 1 percent of the popular vote. “Once in office he escalated the war into Laos and Cambodia, with the loss of an additional 22,000 American lives, before finally settling for a peace agreement in 1973 that was within grasp in 1968,” says the BBC.

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...pes-suggest-3595441/#votGQOVus7YQkv5g.99
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter
Posted By: Snipebander Re: Vietnam War 3 - 09/20/17
I want to see what good old Ken has to say about the anti-war movement. It was known then in intelligence circles and somewhat moreso now that Russia paid for a large part of the anti's activeties by passing the money to cutouts in Sweden and then from them to US affiliates. The antis became a fifth column element at home. Also don't anyone take me wrong, the war was fought by half measures and not to win. To my eye Vietnam was Korea but with a very large difference. The west side of Vietnam abutted Cambodia and Laos which allowed for land resupply. Korea had only one path in for Northern soldiers and supply. Johnson didn't let us cut the resupply in Hanoi harbor (Hyphong?). That made a huge difference.

Johnson was a socialist in the Roosevelt model and shouldn't have been allowed anywhere near the levers of power. Otherwise this seems to be a pretty balanced presentation. And yes I am old enough to remember all the mess. I was 4F in 1968 with two cousins who went; luckily both returned physically intact. That doesn't say mentally so.
Originally Posted by Docbill
I want to see what good old Ken has to say about the anti-war movement. It was known then in intelligence circles and somewhat moreso now that Russia paid for a large part of the anti's activeties by passing the money to cutouts in Sweden and then from them to US affiliates. The antis became a fifth column element at home. Also don't anyone take me wrong, the war was fought by half measures and not to win. To my eye Vietnam was Korea but with a very large difference. The west side of Vietnam abutted Cambodia and Laos which allowed for land resupply. Korea had only one path in for Northern soldiers and supply. Johnson didn't let us cut the resupply in Hanoi harbor (Hyphong?). That made a huge difference.

Johnson was a socialist in the Roosevelt model and shouldn't have been allowed anywhere near the levers of power. Otherwise this seems to be a pretty balanced presentation. And yes I am old enough to remember all the mess. I was 4F in 1968 with two cousins who went; luckily both returned physically intact. That doesn't say mentally so.

there were a lot of loonies in that antiwar movement, trying to use it for their own purposes. And i have no doubt the communists were funneling money into it. Geez, i reconized that at S.D.S. things at A.S.U. where i was attending at the time. i remember tom hayden and personally debating him at the time. Didn't take long to realize i wanted no part of that. But it didn't take away from the antigovernment feelings, which have never gone away. It's that "trust me" thing, hear that and you shudder. i was 1y at the time, messed up leg from motorcycle, then about 360 on the draft number. I was real stupid, i realized what was happening but i still tried to enlist figuring it was the only way i could DO something. Couldnl't pass the physical, they told me i wouldn't live to be 30. I will be 70 in december. some of my friends who did pass the physical didn't make it to age 20
one thing i did learn, from that clusterfu*k, when does a politican lie? Answer, when they open their mouth.
i have spent the majority of my life trying ti impress that on the chillins that followed me.
© 24hourcampfire