Posted By: KFWA Re: Good bye bacon shortage - 10/04/17
best thing I'll read all day
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Good bye bacon shortage - 10/04/17
Don't get too exited.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/anothe...-skinny-pigs-make-lousy-bacon-1501256000
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Good bye bacon shortage - 10/04/17
PTL and pass the bacon
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Good bye bacon shortage - 10/04/17
shiiiiat i paid 2 something a lb a few days ago for a pork belly, should a waited.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Good bye bacon shortage - 10/04/17
Why do ranchers sell pigs too early? Why not keep them long enough to fat them up on grain?
Posted By: Calvin Re: Good bye bacon shortage - 10/04/17
Pork has been cheap, even up here. Not complaining.
Posted By: ST50 Re: Good bye bacon shortage - 10/04/17
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Why do ranchers sell pigs too early? Why not keep them long enough to fat them up on grain?

I don't know about local producers, but the store bought stuff my wife brings home,(pork chops etc) is disgustingly lean.
Posted By: GunReader Re: Good bye bacon shortage - 10/04/17
It's all economics. If the grain to fatten up a hog is worth more than the hog is going to be worth, you sell the hog so you can sell the grain. Hogs are largely a way of hedging the corn market.
Posted By: Roundup Re: Good bye bacon shortage - 10/04/17
Check the retail price of beef lately?
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Good bye bacon shortage - 10/04/17
paid 65 for a 15lb prime brisket sunday.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Good bye bacon shortage - 10/04/17
Originally Posted by stxhunter
shiiiiat i paid 2 something a lb a few days ago for a pork belly, should a waited.

$2/lb - phuc, Roger it's about $40/kg here !!!!!
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Good bye bacon shortage - 10/04/17
Originally Posted by stxhunter
paid 65 for a 15lb prime brisket sunday.

Phouc, again !

Crap brisket pieces are $19/kg !

frown
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Good bye bacon shortage - 10/04/17
Paul, that may be a price you, and I, when in NW Ontario, pay for enjoying most everything else. Don't forget gasoline prices as well. And, some other prices.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Good bye bacon shortage - 10/04/17
When you factor in the exchange rate and convert from kilos to pounds that's just under $7/lb. Probably about what we pay up here.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Good bye bacon shortage - 10/04/17
Originally Posted by mtnsnake

When I last raised hogs 20 years ago, the market for top hogs.....hogs of slaughter weight....was for a hog that weighed between 220-240 pounds. Anything weighing more or less than that was penalized price wise. That was what the slaughterhouses wanted as the weight for the hogs they killed and processed. I believe that today, they have increased the top end weight to the 250-260 weight range. As far as fattening them up, the market does not want a "fat" hog. A fat hog might be okay if you're someone who kills and processes their own meat, and wants a hog that will produce a lot of lard.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Good bye bacon shortage - 10/04/17
I'd personally not mind a little more fat, especially in sausage. There are a few brands that won't leave enough oil in the pan to fry an egg. I'd not be unhappy either if they would quit saturating their bacon with water. Takes forever to cook that stuff.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Good bye bacon shortage - 10/04/17
how does bacon prices go way up and boston butts are about free.never could figure that out. 1.00-129 lb here for bb's for 2-3 yrs.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Good bye bacon shortage - 10/04/17
Supply, and demand.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Good bye bacon shortage - 10/05/17
Originally Posted by 1minute
I'd personally not mind a little more fat, especially in sausage. There are a few brands that won't leave enough oil in the pan to fry an egg. I'd not be unhappy either if they would quit saturating their bacon with water. Takes forever to cook that stuff.

When I was raising hogs, we killed a hog or two every year. Had them killed and blocked out by the meat processor, and we did the rest at home. Our sausage always had enough fat, as it has to if it's going to absorb the seasonings and cook up good. It would leave plenty of grease in the skillet. Lot's of folks also killed cull sows, that often weighed in the 500 pound range, and put the entire hog into sausage, which was a lot of fat. I know exactly what you mean about store bought sausage...it's so lean there is hardly any grease left in the pan.
Posted By: sse Re: Good bye bacon shortage - 10/05/17
Jack Sprat could eat no fat.
His wife could eat no lean.
And so between them both, you see,
They licked the platter clean
Posted By: rost495 Re: Good bye bacon shortage - 10/05/17
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
When you factor in the exchange rate and convert from kilos to pounds that's just under $7/lb. Probably about what we pay up here.

I saw a brisket in the commissary at Greely a few weeks ago, over 100 bucks.. I about got light headed. LOL.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Good bye bacon shortage - 10/05/17
overages of fat are not good for our fat society.

We like a bit of fat with about anything, but not excess like the crap my grandparents and parents wanted to eat. Of course once they all got out of the fields that fat backfired and lead to cardiac, stroke etc....

We cook with lard a lot here, but I doubt we even go through 2 pounds a year when using it.

A bit of common sense goes a long ways. What tastes best isn't always best for you.
Cheapish bacon has been $3 a pound here for almost a year. Shoulder has ~$2 on sale. I use fatty shoulder to mix in my deer sausage. I mix about 50/50 and add fat to get the fat content to ~30%.
Posted By: deflave Re: Good bye bacon shortage - 10/05/17
Originally Posted by rost495

We like a bit of fat with about anything, but not excess like the crap my grandparents and parents wanted to eat. Of course once they all got out of the fields that fat backfired and lead to cardiac, stroke etc....

We cook with lard a lot here, but I doubt we even go through 2 pounds a year when using it.

A bit of common sense goes a long ways. What tastes best isn't always best for you.

Natural fat content is the last thing a person needs to worry about in their diet.

Dave
Originally Posted by srwshooter
how does bacon prices go way up and boston butts are about free.never could figure that out. 1.00-129 lb here for bb's for 2-3 yrs.

People eat a lot of bacon and not a lot of boston butts.

Dave
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Good bye bacon shortage - 10/05/17
Why don't they make cow bacon?

Does anyone know for sure?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Good bye bacon shortage - 10/05/17
COW!!?? COW!, Sam, oh Sam, are you talkin' down to the 'fire? Beef is the term.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Good bye bacon shortage - 10/05/17
Richard, it was a poor Gus impersonation...
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Good bye bacon shortage - 10/05/17
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Because its terrible, terrible stuff.

I buy bacon from a small town butcher. His stuff is beyond compare.

While browsing his coolers I found a small package of beef bacon. I figured I could not miss!

Gave most of it to the dog. Even Richard Boy would not eat it.

For what ever reason...beef dont make good bacon.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Good bye bacon shortage - 10/05/17
got a pork belly i'm going to put to cure this weekend.
Good deal. Meat pics please!
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Careful what you ask for or you'll get a PM from da 'flave.
We raise a few pigs every summer, been really into the ham steaks lately. Hard to beat for a quick meal, and left overs go well with eggs for breakfast.

be careful what you ask roger for ! lol

I'll share my meat pics smile

You will notice how long and symmetrical they are

[Linked Image]
Mmmmmm.....tubular.
Originally Posted by keystoneben
We raise a few pigs every summer, been really into the ham steaks lately. Hard to beat for a quick meal, and left overs go well with eggs for breakfast.

That aint no schit. Corn and some potatoes fired with some onion is just about perfect.

Plus some of that screwball mustard I ordered of Amazon when we had free shipping.

Lowensenf or something like that.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Good bye bacon shortage - 10/05/17
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Because its terrible, terrible stuff.

I buy bacon from a small town butcher. His stuff is beyond compare.

While browsing his coolers I found a small package of beef bacon. I figured I could not miss!

Gave most of it to the dog. Even Richard Boy would not eat it.

For what ever reason...beef dont make good bacon.

I tried some once.....emphasis on the "once"......pretty disappointing....

Originally Posted by keystoneben

I had ham steak and creamed spinach for dinner tonight....store bought ham but still delicious.
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman

[Linked Image]

Remove that condom before eating.

Trust me.

Clark
Posted By: Dutch Re: Good bye bacon shortage - 10/05/17
Originally Posted by rost495

Yeah, about that. Basically all BS.

The medical establishment preached "low fat" for 40 years...... and there was no fundamental science to back it up. Even the government has recently removed any recommendations to limit fats. The human body is a little fat burning machine by design.

Now carbs..... carbs will be the death of you in fairly short order.
© 24hourcampfire