Home
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Gig tonight - 10/22/17
Got a gig tonight. First one in about a year!

I guess its a Farmer Rancher appreciation night type of deal. Gonna have prime rib and drinks.

Dinner at 7 and music at 8. I dont believe it.

They are gonna start serving 400 people at 7 and expect everyone to be done at 8! Ha!

Anyway, it will be a good time....our old drummer came back from Minot for the gig.

I had to make a trip to Great Falls to buy an amplifier. My last gigging bass amp got accidentally thrown off the stage.........

Anyone else in a band or otherwise play an instrument?
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Gig tonight - 10/22/17
Cool!
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Gig tonight - 10/22/17
Post a video!
Posted By: deflave Re: Gig tonight - 10/22/17
Whoa, whoa, whoa....

Where this be at Jim?

Dave
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: Gig tonight - 10/22/17
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Post a video!

Yes. Big Jim in a band, that would be worth watching.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Gig tonight - 10/22/17
Cooler than cool, I would like ti see that.
Posted By: GaryLL1959 Re: Gig tonight - 10/22/17
Play in several bluegrass jams around home, but gave up on trying to keep a band together years ago.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Gig tonight - 10/22/17
Originally Posted by deflave
Whoa, whoa, whoa....

Where this be at Jim?

Dave

Doesn't matter.....the slippery bastard didn't tell us about it until it was to late for me to make the journey.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Gig tonight - 10/22/17
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Got a gig tonight. First one in about a year! - - - - - - Anyone else in a band or otherwise play an instrument?
Many and varied groups, several instruments, 60 + years' worth. Have a good time tonight.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Gig tonight - 10/22/17
I can turn on the radio. That's about it.
Posted By: efw Re: Gig tonight - 10/22/17
That sounds like a great time.

I’m not in a band, but remember we’ll the entertainment value of a guy who was the biggest in his quartet... blush
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

Doesn't matter.....the slippery bastard didn't tell us about it until it was to late for me to make the journey.

His lack of response makes me feel unwelcome regardless.

Not that, that would keep me from attending.

Travis
Posted By: K22 Re: Gig tonight - 10/22/17
Originally Posted by GaryLL1959
Play in several bluegrass jams around home, but gave up on trying to keep a band together years ago.

I'm in the same boat.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Gig tonight - 10/22/17
I'm just wondering if he stayed sober enough to be able to play.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Gig tonight - 10/22/17
When i was a little kid (early 60's) dad's younger brothers had a band that played all the beer joints and dance halls across south Texas. One that sticks out in my memory was the dance hall in Los Angeles Texas down by Cotulla. Cant remember its name. But a Rough crowd. Another was Kelly's Ice House in San Antonio. A reputable knife & gun club in the day.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Gig tonight - 10/22/17
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
When i was a little kid (early 60's) dad's younger brothers had a band that played all the beer joints and dance halls across south Texas. One that sticks out in my memory was the dance hall in Los Angeles Texas down by Cotulla. Cant remember its name. But a Rough crowd. Another was Kelly's Ice House in San Antonio. A reputable knife & gun club in the day.

laugh

There was a place outside Kerrville, where I went to high school, called Crider's.

Every Saturday night in the summer they had a rodeo and dance. We would enter the rodeo, get banged up and nasty, then change into our dancin' clothes in a horse trailer, then got to the dance...

The dance part was outside, big ol' concrete slab with huge oak trees growing here and there in it.

Lots of summer camps around Kerrville, and the girls camp counselors would be there every Saturday night! laugh Good times!

(In the winter we would go to the Cabaret in Bandera for our dancin,' drinkin' , fightin' and screwin'... If we were lucky... wink
Originally Posted by 12344mag

I've met Jim and I don't think you could mainline enough PBR to get somebody his size drunk.

(Not a cock reference)

Dave
Never forget the "Kicker Palace" in Poteet! All the City types fron San Antonio would
Come there during Strawberry festival. Most experienced shock & awe!
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Gig tonight - 10/22/17
Posted By: Wtxj Re: Gig tonight - 10/22/17
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

laugh

There was a place outside Kerrville, where I went to high school, called Crider's.

Every Saturday night in the summer they had a rodeo and dance. We would enter the rodeo, get banged up and nasty, then change into our dancin' clothes in a horse trailer, then got to the dance...

The dance part was outside, big ol' concrete slab with huge oak trees growing here and there in it.

Lots of summer camps around Kerrville, and the girls camp counselors would be there every Saturday night! laugh Good times!

(In the winter we would go to the Cabaret in Bandera for our dancin,' drinkin' , fightin' and screwin'... If we were lucky... wink

I went to Criders. Way back then. You were just a young-un .
Nothing from the Hi-Line!
Suppose the party is still goin'?
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Gig tonight - 10/22/17
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Post a video!

This
Originally Posted by Wtxj

laugh

Twas in the 70's...

I wish I were a young-un! laugh

While I'm wishin'... I wish for a couple of those 18-19 year old girls camp counselors again too! wink
Originally Posted by deflave

I've met Jim and I don't think you could mainline enough PBR to get somebody his size drunk.

(Not a cock reference)

Dave

Jim seems to be able to do a lot of things I'd bet he could manage, a guy his size could just inject it up the wazoo like the college kids do........

(Not a gay reference)
Has here anyone tried a beer enema?

Not that they would admit doing so, but that would take beer farts to a whole new level..... wink
A beer up the ass. What could possibly go wrong?

(not a gay reference)
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
A beer up the ass. What could possibly go wrong?

(not a gay reference)

Well, if you drink too much beer a end up puking it back up...

What happens when you take too much up the ass?

Wait. Nevermind... eek

(Not a gay reference again.)
Gross!

Jim seems to be able to do a lot of things I'd bet he could manage, a guy his size could just inject it up the wazoo like the college kids do........

(Not a gay reference)

College kids?

Dave

laugh

Twas in the 70's...

I wish I were a young-un! laugh

While I'm wishin'... I wish for a couple of those 18-19 year old girls camp counselors again too! wink

I was about late 1969, one year only as a counselor down the road.

Everything's changed there now.

Used to go into the Hunt Store for great homemade hamburgers for lunch too!

Everything's changed there now.

Used to go into the Hunt Store for great homemade hamburgers for lunch too!

We were only let out of prison for Sat. afternoon and evening. So never tried the local food.
I'm sure Jim is still sleeping or in trouble with his wife.
Except he is on line-----------
He's just avoiding us!
He's just avoiding us!

Gee, I wonder why? smile
Maybe he's over on some professional musician forum!

I was hoping to live vicariously through someone actually doing something on Saturday night and now - no hey, no GFY - nothing,
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Gig tonight - 10/22/17

I was at one called The Squirrel Cage in San Antonio on the Old Austin Highway many years ago. I think Kelly's Ice House was off limits to us G.I.'s

kwg
He's just avoiding us!

Gee, I wonder why? smile

He's embarrassed about the enema.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Gig tonight - 10/22/17
Maybe he's over on some professional musician forum!

I was hoping to live vicariously through someone actually doing something on Saturday night and now - no hey, no GFY - nothing,

No kidding. I was in bed last night before Jim finished his first set. I’ve definitely wanted to see Jim play his famous “yippee ki yay get along little doggy” song. Someday soon I’m going to make a special trip focused on music, drinking and hangover remediation. I’m sure that everyone had a good time last night I’m also sure most don’t remember how much fun they had nor what an amazing specimen of a man was serenading them all night. One night you’re singing and wooing the women folk and the next day you’re shoveling chit and checking off projects from your honey do list....life ain’t fair.

PS....is the any leftover prime rib left? 😁
Originally Posted by kwg020

I was at one called The Squirrel Cage in San Antonio on the Old Austin Highway many years ago. I think Kelly's Ice House was off limits to us G.I.'s

kwg

Used to be a tittybar called the Squirrel Cage in Wilsonville Oregon.... And there's a tavern called Squirrels in Corvallis. One of my biggest bachelor blunders involved the two. I was out trollng and met this little lady working at another joint north of both in Portlandia, wayyyy hotter than I'd typically even try for.... She totally falls for it and agrees to meet up later at Squirrels! I totally blunder it forgetting she said she lives in Corvallis and I go to Wilsonville! Sat there blue-balled till just before closing time before realizing my error, too late to make it to the other! Dammit!
Originally Posted by kwg020

kwg

Yeah, some loud drunk came after one of my uncle's one night at Kelly's with a broke beer bottle after he was asked to at least wait until the song was over to cuss out his girlfriend. It didn't turn out good for the poor bastid
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Gig tonight - 10/22/17
I guess it was one helluva show until ol' Jim decided to stage dive the crowd. Needless to say it was a short lived crowd surf.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Gig tonight - 10/22/17
Haha! Youse guys are nuts!

It turned out really well. Probably about 400 people showed up and the food was pretty good. They had just enough prime rib to feed me.

I was actually pretty responsible last night. Got home about 3:30. I would have had more to drink but the booze line was twice as long as the food line!

The gig went well, considering that we had not played for about a year. It was nice that our old drummer came back from North Dakota.

I did get a couple of crappy videos....and I do mean crappy! Well, no beer enemas or anything like that but more quality wise.

I will try to get a few posted today.

I got started playing in bars and dance halls when I was 16. Quite a few country dances back in the day. Several bars that are no longer standing.

Its kind of a thing of the past really. The live music scene is pretty dead up here. The great old dancers that used to come around every weekend are dead and gone. The new generation does not like the music we play!

Not nearly as many musicians around as there used to be.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Gig tonight - 10/22/17
They have a crew coming in on Monday to fix the floor Sam.
The story Jim is, Nelson was booed at Madsen Square Garden while playing his new music in 1985 or so. He then
wrote this song.
Fun stuff, the gig, not the B.E.

Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Haha! Youse guys are nuts!

It turned out really well. Probably about 400 people showed up and the food was pretty good. They had just enough prime rib to feed me.

I was actually pretty responsible last night. Got home about 3:30. I would have had more to drink but the booze line was twice as long as the food line!

The gig went well, considering that we had not played for about a year. It was nice that our old drummer came back from North Dakota.

I did get a couple of crappy videos....and I do mean crappy! Well, no beer enemas or anything like that but more quality wise.

I will try to get a few posted today.

I got started playing in bars and dance halls when I was 16. Quite a few country dances back in the day. Several bars that are no longer standing.

Its kind of a thing of the past really. The live music scene is pretty dead up here. The great old dancers that used to come around every weekend are dead and gone. The new generation does not like the music we play!

Not nearly as many musicians around as there used to be.

Posted By: Fubarski Re: Gig tonight - 10/22/17
What was the playlist for each set?

Much as you wanna share, anyway. I can see leavin out the Lady Gaga.
I believe the drunk i mentioned above that came after uncle, got either a beer bottle enema ir an 11 1/2 Justin enema. Does that count?

Glad all worked out good, Jim!!
Glad you had a good time Jim. I was just kidding about the beer enema........Kinda.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Gig tonight - 10/23/17
I believe the drunk i mentioned above that came after uncle, got either a beer bottle enema ir an 11 1/2 Justin enema. Does that count?

Glad all worked out good, Jim!!

It only matters to the drunk. 😉

A sample of the playlist would help us in promoting you guys internationally. 😉
© 24hourcampfire