Home
and america can import it's toyotas and caddilacs from china someday?

the whole thing is very strange, but that's the way the invisible hand has always been.
Is that random or is there more to the story.
Gus is on the pipe again.
If we keep sending more wealth out than we receive, eventually, we will be producing those cars for the Chinese. We will be the third world people working for rice and beans.

History is full of amazing Empires that fall to nothing.
We have a wealthy class that will do anything for mone, and they have enough that they will always be safe.
We have a parasite class that sucks the middle class dry.

And NO ONE seems to care.
Car production ends in Australia with last General Motors model built
The last car has been built in Australia.
After 69 years, General Motors is ending manufacturing in the country, following similar moves made by Ford last year and Toyota just two weeks ago. High costs and low production volumes led them to shift car manufacturing to other countries in the region.
All told, GM's Holden brand built 7,687,675 cars over the years. The last two to roll off the production line near Adelaide on Friday being a Chevy El Camino-style Commodore Ute and a high performance Commodore SSV Redline V8 sedan. A version of the sedan was imported to the United States for several years, where it was sold as the Pontiac G8 and Chevrolet SS.
The Holden brand will live on in Australia with GM cars imported from other countries while also providing engineering services for General Motors. The Ute, a style of car unique to Australia that was also built by Ford under the Falcon nameplate, will be relegated to the history books, for now.
Gary Gastelu is FoxNews.com's Automotive Editor.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
©2017 FOX News Network, LLC. All rights reserved.
in light of lack of direction in the OP, i would like to steer this into a union bashing thread if we could please.
Holden built some awesome performance cars.
Not super cars, just cool muscle cars.
Originally Posted by rem141r
in light of lack of direction in the OP, i would like to steer this into a union bashing thread if we could please.

My dad was in the union for thirty years. When he gave notice he wanted to retire the union told him there was no money in their retirement fund for the union members. He worked for another thirty years before he retired. I used to pay my union dues by the quarter. One time I got a better job in another city. There were still two months to go and asked for a refund. The union boss told me I donated the other two months to the union. Yea. I dislike the union.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Amen! The G8 was my first introduction to an Australian automobile. Kickass sleeper of a street racer!

This is the one I wanted Ford to start importing here in the 3.2L TDI version; Ford Ranger UTE LINK

Ed

I have no problem bashing the union. I worked for 6 months under union and got raped every minute of it. Quit that job ASAP.

forgive me please, but i thought i had at least hinted at a direction when i mentioned looking east toward china.

Pontiac GTO's are another Holden hotrod here in the states.

Actually everything started to go to sheet when they gave up their guns. Unions suck to.
Originally Posted by White_Bear

Actually everything started to go to sheet when they gave up their guns. Unions suck to.

Oh shoot...does that mean I have to give up my firearms, guess someone forgot to tell me.
Only the cool ones. smile
Originally Posted by Ringman

My dad was in the union for thirty years. When he gave notice he wanted to retire the union told him there was no money in their retirement fund for the union members. He worked for another thirty years before he retired. I used to pay my union dues by the quarter. One time I got a better job in another city. There were still two months to go and asked for a refund. The union boss told me I donated the other two months to the union. Yea. I dislike the union.

So 60 years of work for your Dad?
Had to be in his 80's when he retired.
Only the cool ones. smile

Well you have got me there, I do own some cool rifles.
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

Amen! The G8 was my first introduction to an Australian automobile. Kickass sleeper of a street racer!

This is the one I wanted Ford to start importing here in the 3.2L TDI version; Ford Ranger UTE LINK

Ed

I think we are moving real slow in that direction Ed. Real slow.
You could buy a Chevy Cruz? maybe this year. That little car. Supposed to have a small diesel.

Interestingly enough though, there seems to be a lot of your AR platforms being advertised and sold here, not something that interests me but I have no problems with my neighbours owning them.
But I swear to God that I will throw a hissy fit if any of them turn up with one of those Marlin abortions.
JSTUART, surely you are referring to the REMLINS not the JM Marlins?

and Gus, you really need to take your meds, these fragmented posts are perplexing. contrary to what you seem to think your thoughts are Not monitored by everyone else on the Urth.
Originally Posted by deerstalker

and Gus, you really need to take your meds, these fragmented posts are perplexing. contrary to what you seem to think your thoughts are Not monitored by everyone else on the Urth.

Well, if it looks like a Mattel Toy stuck up the bum of the Pony Express then you are probably right.
The unions brought better working conditions, but are pricing themselves out of existence forcing companies to move to right to work states.

Union dues have lined many business agents pockets, workers left with little or no pension.

laugh

Really!
for anyone interested in the mundane & esoteric, there's a neat little book written by one of the great worldly philosophers named EF Shumacher. you might remember his little tome entitled Small is Beautiful.

but, i'm referring to another of his little writings, entitled a Guide for the Perplexed. it's not for everyone, so hopefully everyone won't bother to read it.
Originally Posted by Wtxj
...You could buy a Chevy Cruz? maybe this year. That little car. Supposed to have a small diesel.

I had to go puke my guts out after reading that...

Gordon, what have I done to you to warrant that reply? grin

Ed
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Well, if it looks like a Mattel Toy stuck up the bum of the Pony Express then you are probably right.

I think you're thinking of the wrong company. The one you loathe is the MOSSBERG creation, not the Remlins, which still look like Marlins, not the half AR/ half levergun you're describing
I share your loathing, it's a hideous thing. Then again, most Mossbergs are a crapfest anyway.
Originally Posted by Gus
for anyone interested in the mundane & esoteric, there's a neat little book written by one of the great worldly philosophers named EF Shumacher. you might remember his little tome entitled Small is Beautiful.

but, i'm referring to another of his little writings, entitled a Guide for the Perplexed. it's not for everyone, so hopefully everyone won't bother to read it.

That's the philosophy of "Less is More".

No, it is not, it is LESS.

Words mean things, regardless of what some halfwit philosopher tries to push off on others.
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

I think you're thinking of the wrong company. The one you loathe is the MOSSBERG creation, not the Remlins, which still look like Marlins, not the half AR/ half levergun you're describing
I share your loathing, it's a hideous thing. Then again, most Mossbergs are a crapfest anyway.

I shall take your word for it as neither are something I am interested in, what does amuse me is that you recognised the description and share the antipathy.
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by Gus

That's the philosophy of "Less is More".

No, it is not, it is LESS.

Words mean things, regardless of what some halfwit philosopher tries to push off on others.

your words are true in every respect, or at least i'm in agreement with them at any rate.

at any given moment, the total output of the earth in all respects divided by the total human population gives us per capita output. we can argue about the total output, we can argue about the exact correct population, but it's much more difficult to argue against the theorem.
Originally Posted by Gus

forgive me please, but i thought i had at least hinted at a direction when i mentioned looking east toward china.

That meets all the criteria for orientation.

Sycamore
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by Gus

That meets all the criteria for orientation.

Sycamore

yes, yes. or i could have just as easily suggested looking west toward china. that probably would have been equally true. at any rate, they're out there on a big continent connected to india, the middle east, russia and finally europe. and so it is. we're over "here" and here includes us, canada, mexico, a slew of central americans, and south america.

but, i opened this thread to speak of austraila, another penal colony as was georgia. they're no longer building cars, times are a-changin according to ole Bob.

they'll still be buying their ground transportation from somebody as normal attrition occurs....kangaroos, drunk drivers, wear & tear, wildfire... they'll need vehicles, but from who & where? how best to minimize shipping costs..??

Oh shoot...does that mean I have to give up my firearms, guess someone forgot to tell me.

Hand your BRNOs over please! Can I send you my address by pm? I’ll be charitable and split the shipping with you!
Originally Posted by 4winds

Hand your BRNOs over please! Can I send you my address by pm? I’ll be charitable and split the shipping with you!

Thank you very much for your kind offer, but I regret that I feel bound to retain such marvels as they were extremely difficult to procure.
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by Wtxj
...You could buy a Chevy Cruz? maybe this year. That little car. Supposed to have a small diesel.

I had to go puke my guts out after reading that...

Gordon, what have I done to you to warrant that reply? grin

Ed

Good answer Ed. I had read in the newspaper an article about that little Chevy that's coming out for 2018. Only reason.
Let's look into the future (2018) and see if we can get a small group together of BP metallic cartridge people?
I like Gus threads.
Originally Posted by 280shooter
I like Gus threads.

why, thank you! i do my best to keep the cost down to a manageable level.
Originally Posted by hanco
The unions brought better working conditions, but are pricing themselves out of existence forcing companies to move to right to work states.

Union dues have lined many business agents pockets, workers left with little or no pension.

Not to mention the mobsters.
If we keep sending more wealth out than we receive, eventually, we will be producing those cars for the Chinese. We will be the third world people working for rice and beans.

History is full of amazing Empires that fall to nothing.
We have a wealthy class that will do anything for mone, and they have enough that they will always be safe.
We have a parasite class that sucks the middle class dry.

And NO ONE seems to care.

You’re 3.5 bubbles off full plumb!
A friend of my FIL has a v8 Ford ute in New Zealand. Its pretty neat, but very expensive to run.

Aussie and Kiwi motorheads have always been more like American gearheads than the Poms.

The Aussies especially had a great love affair with the V8. When we were stuffing big blocks into anything with wheels they were lusting after the chev 350 or maybe a Ford Cleveland. Not sure if they had the Cleveland or not though.

I have to hand it to those guys.......they have always had higher gas prices than we have.

While the poms were painting their Lotus racing green the southern boys were driving big Fords and Rovers.
How can they sleep while their beds are burning?
Aussie unions did not pay pensions.
The Aussie union movement was largely destroyed by 3 pieces of legislation over about 4 years from 1988 to 1992 with the last being Enterprise Bargain Agreements which meant an employee could ask for more money because he was a better performer than his peers and if the company agreed, they could pay him and not be liable to pay the sloths surrounding the achiever.

This caused 2 things to happen;

1. The sloths were sent on their way to their true vocations in life
2. The companies bid for the best of the best causing wages to go up, not down which is the common cry.
Originally Posted by hanco

Unions had their time and place. They were needed at one time because of the horrible working conditions of such things as coal mines. But, like many things, they have pretty much outlived their usefulness. They have, for the past 30 0r 40 years become corrupt and a place for the crooks to get rich at the expense of the working man.
Now they can focus on H4350!
© 24hourcampfire