Home
Absolutely spectacular day yesterday. I hauled 25 assorted high school students to the Texas Hill Country for a ten-mile hike over steep and rocky terrain. A rare day; lows in the thirties when we arrived early am, highs in the 60's and a cold to cool wind blowing all day cool

I think this is twenty-seven years in a row I have done this, its an annual event, this time a couple of young and swift student-teachers out front, me as usual being the sweeper, me trailing the group kids strung out in-between , me carrying maybe 20 pounds of stuff, mostly extra bottles of water plus a basic first aid kit.

Over the years this has become sort of an annual fitness yardstick for me, I mean all the other faces have come and gone over the years, I have been the only constant and I don't hike much, certainly not up and down over rough terrain.

I began this annual trip at starting age thirty-three and now I'm sixty.

All of the above being a long preamble to the fact that I was stunned at how easy I breezed through it this year, even at my age. Easier than I can recall, maybe even easier than me in my thirties.

OK, I started bicycling to work and did a couple of long bicycling expeditions starting four years ago but that didn't do it. Been lifting weights for more'n a year but that didn't do it either.

What's been different this year is two or three times a week on the treadmill at the gym, progressing slowly, being real careful not to ruin my knees. After five months into it I'm only up to 4.4 miles an hour, incline level set at "2", for thirty minutes at a time, somewhere between a fast shuffle and a jog. If/when I can do 30 minutes at 5 mph up a level 2 incline I'll start running out on the street and take it from there.

In the meantime, just working up to 4.4 mph for thirty minutes on a treadmill made that ten miles carrying 20 pounds a breeze, did the whole thing in 3 1/2 hours at an easy pace, wearing my usual Crocs yet.

I never woulda thought that moderate exercise on something as disconnected from reality as a treadmill at the gym could have such real-world benefits. This has obvious implication for hunting season for lots of folks.

Birdwatcher

I hate treadmills! I'm glad mine broke 5 years ago.
I am almost 67 and go two miles on a tread mill 4-5 times a week. Boring, yes, but I can keep up ith those a lot younger.
Break it up with time on the Stair stepper as well. Keep those hands and arms off the bars though. If you can’t then to need to slow it down.

I laugh at all the soccer moms and old fat guys like me that run on the tread mill or stair stepper holding or leaning onto the front of the machine or the bars at the sides while having the machine turned up to high at the highest angle.
Originally Posted by victoro
I hate treadmills! I'm glad mine broke 5 years ago.

The trick is to use the one at the gym, you'd be amazed at what the presence of a few 20-something in shape women can do to your motivation wink Better yet when she's on the treadmill in front.

Pretty sure I could get an actual woody when working out at the gyms in Austin, some of those college girls are just awesome.
Good for you, birdman. I was in a hell of a lot better shape when I lived in Colorado. Need to make an effort to get more active.

Deer season kicked my azz this year. I climbed one ridge that afterwards I honestly wasn’t sure if I was gonna [bleep] myself or die first. Lol.
Staying in shape is just a matter of doing it as long as your frame stays intact. I spent my whole life working on my feet, and while it wasn't particularly labor intensive, the last two places of employment required covering a lot of area by walking. At the place I worked from 40 to 50, 6 miles a day was fairly standard. I never thought much about it.

The next job I had, from 50-58, didn't require as much walking but you were on your feet all day and walked maybe 4 or 5 miles a day.

Around age 56 or so, I noticed my feet and knees starting to complain even though I still had plenty of stamina to put in a days work and continue with other activities after working hours.

I'm pushing 62 now and still have quite a bit of stamina, but my knees and feet will only tolerate so much before I grab 2 Aleve and sit down.

It's a nuisance. There's things I want to do and have the energy for, but the old skeletal system won't tolerate it,....and it's not something that can be improved on without going to extreme, very expensive measures.
I have a treadmill and an elliptical machine in my home gym/toy room and do 1/2hour on each 4-5 days followed by free weights and kettlebells. This enables me to hike in the hills 2 days/week. I think the cardio is important but training for strength, especially the core is equally essential. I quit running and skiing to save my knees 10 years ago and they are still functional. At 70 I can still hunt the mountains at a moderate pace w/ a light pack. Running on pavement can be destructive. Have fun, you can have more fun if you are fit.

mike r
First thing is to lose that beer belly. grin
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Running on pavement can be destructive. Have fun, you can have more fun if you are fit.

mike r

This statement reminds me of a thought I came up with a few years ago when my boss went skiing and was not in good condition.
He wanted to have fun but it was too much work. I thought, Fun that is not fun is not fun anymore.
I have the hardest time getting myself to work out inside. We have a treadmill and I have my bike on a trainer, but damned if I can find the motivation to use them.

If I can just get myself to walk the dog up this hill

[Linked Image]

and to the ridge about which is a ~3 mile loop, it keeps me in 1/2 decent shape and in a much better mood.

I fealt a lot better than expected hiking this thing last weekend.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Bristoe

I'm pushing 62 now and still have quite a bit of stamina, but my knees and feet will only tolerate so much before I grab 2 Aleve and sit down.

It's a nuisance. There's things I want to do and have the energy for, but the old skeletal system won't tolerate it,....and it's not something that can be improved on without going to extreme, very expensive measures.

The thing about a treadmill is we ain't talking hours, just minutes. I aim for thirty but if I'm gonna be late for work even fifteen or twenty will get ya a workout. My daily goal is simply to stay in as good a shape as I am now, if I can get better so be it.

Before I started I went to a serious hole-in-the-wall runner's store owned by a retired Military guy and not the chain outlets staffed by vapid millenials, I spent $130 on a seriously padded pair of running shoes a size larger than I woulda chosen.

For the first four months on the treadmill to protect my knees I moved at a fast shuffle. Doesn't matter, I was still pushing my envelope. So far, AROUND my knees get sore the next day, not inside my knees, so I think that's my tendons working themselves out. To give 'em a break I never do the treadmill thing two days in a row.

I wouldn't want a treadmill at home, the big chain gyms have gotten really good, this past year lifting weights I found out I could still pack on muscle at 60, plus all that working out, not to mention being in the same place as perspiring young women, really does elevate testosterone which affects your whole day. Leastways that's been my experience.
Guys,remember-round is a shape, grin
I too find the knees don't take long hikes/workouts as well as before.
Originally Posted by Ringman
Running on pavement can be destructive. Have fun, you can have more fun if you are fit.

mike r

This statement reminds me of a thought I came up with a few years ago when my boss went skiing and was not in good condition.
He wanted to have fun but it was too much work. I thought, Fun that is not fun is not fun anymore.

It's called work! Lol.
At age 68 I have lost 60# over the last 1 1/2-2 yrs. just taking the dog for a 1 mile walk every day. I try to work in a 2-3 mi. walk once or twice a week. My blood sugar and blood pressure are fine, a1c readings have been right where the doctor wants them.

mike r

When I was a kid I'd hit the slopes when they opened and ski until the lifts shutdown. I didn't understand why the old guys would be hanging out in the bar after a few runs.

Now I understand

That said last season was one of my best in years. Got in more days of skiing that the previous years combined and after a few days I found I could ski harder and get in quite a few more runs. Now if I can just put in some real pre-season training I should be able to really enjoy this season.

Modern skis are also a huge plus, they're almost like cheating.
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

mike r

When I was a kid I'd hit the slopes when they opened and ski until the lifts shutdown. I didn't understand why the old guys would be hanging out in the bar after a few runs.

Now I understand

That said last season was one of my best in years. Got in more days of skiing that the previous years combined and after a few days I found I coul
d ski harder and get in quite a few more runs. Now if I can just put in some real pre-season training I should be able to really enjoy this season.

Hitting the mountain skiing or boarding is a real eye opener no matter how old
You are. The next couple of days after will be fun, especially if your sedintary or just out
Of shape. I have had many mountains kick my ass...... Mt. Baker and Whistler is where
I enjoyed receiving the pain. God I love those mountains.
Cool! The lifting I do translates pretty good for hauling loads uphill, or dragging deer. I'm in the East, though. If I were out West, where distances were further, I think I'd have to train for it!
Originally Posted by fester

mike r

Now I understand

That said last season was one of my best in years. Got in more days of skiing that the previous years combined and after a few days I found I coul
d ski harder and get in quite a few more runs. Now if I can just put in some real pre-season training I should be able to really enjoy this season.

Hitting the mountain skiing or boarding is a real eye opener no matter how old
You are. The next couple of days after will be fun, especially if your sedintary or just out
Of shape. I have had many mountains kick my ass...... Mt. Baker and Whistler is where
I enjoyed receiving the pain. God I love those mountains.

I'm good for a few longs runs, then my quads start burning. Dropping 2000 vertical feet on a double black dimond just kicks my azz and I'm good for at most two of those in a day. I enjoy skiing with the kids, but need to be in a bit of shape to keep up with them.
Trade for Randonee gear, put on some skins and climb the vert. Some conditioning requiredgrin. Earn those turns and beat the crowds. You do live in the ski mountaineering capitol of the world.

mike r
No need to trade: Rossignol Soul 7's, Solomon Guardian 16 bindings, Scarpa boots and G3 skins. Wanted a setup that I could use at the resort or back country but haven't ventured in the back country yet. Was unemployed and uninsured for a season so not about to risk blowing a knee or worse. Need to get a beacon and take an avi class before I venture out. I love the setup, a little heavy for dedicated at gear but IMHO perfect dual purpose.

My daughter and youngest so both have AT setups, and yes I can practically skin up out of my backyard.

[Linked Image]
No need to trade: Rossignol Soul 7's, Solomon Guardian 16 bindings, Scarpa boots and G3 skins. Wanted a setup that I could use at the resort or back country but haven't ventured in the back country yet. Was unemployed and uninsured for a season so not about to risk blowing a knee or worse. Need to get a beacon and take an avi class before I venture out. I love the setup, a little heavy for dedicated at gear but IMHO perfect dual purpose.

My daughter and youngest so both have AT setups, and yes I can practically skin up out of my backyard.

[Linked Image]

Fphu king beautiful!
You're not that far West from some beautiful country yourself. I learned to appreciate the outdoors from time spent in the Sierras and North Lake Tahoe.
You're not that far West from some beautiful country yourself. I learned to appreciate the outdoors from time spent in the Sierras and North Lake Tahoe.

I live in beautiful country.😉

I've been to Fairbanks multiple times...... the ice carving display and moose are something to behold!
Tahoe, sierras are great. The rivers they feed are phenomenal.

But I enjoy Washington and Canada. World class, imho.
I'm getting my passport to make a trip to Tirol. It's a work trip but I want to slide
Down those alps. So I'm gonna do it.

Have you or anybody else been there?
The Sierra's would be great if they weren't in California wink

That said I can't imagine a better spot in the world than where I live. I can pretty much see or do anything I enjoy at or within 30 minutes of home, ok gotta stretch it a tad past an hour to launch the boat.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That said I can't imagine a better spot in the world than where I live. I can pretty much see or do anything I enjoy at or within 30 minutes of home, ok gotta stretch it a tad past an hour to launch the boat.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

😉

Beautiful pics Lott.
Originally Posted by gunswizard
At age 68 I have lost 60# over the last 1 1/2-2 yrs. just taking the dog for a 1 mile walk every day. I try to work in a 2-3 mi. walk once or twice a week. My blood sugar and blood pressure are fine, a1c readings have been right where the doctor wants them.

My doctor tells me this is all there is to it. I spend too much time on the road, in hotels. Can't wait til I retire Jan 2019 (Lord willing of course)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Same for me. Although the view may differ a tad.

I'm stuck in the valley. ..30 minutes or 2 hours to get
to the mountains or 2-3 to the coast.

I just caught a couple striper off the coast, from the beach, Dillion beach to be exact.
Kept a nice 5 pounder. Let a 10# go and lost a big one.

Fun times!
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by gunswizard

My doctor tells me this is all there is to it. I spend too much time on the road, in hotels. Can't wait til I retire Jan 2019 (Lord willing of course)

I work a mostly desk job 12 hour days 14 days straight. Gain weight and feel like crap when I get home. Just walking a few miles a day I feel great at the end of my 2 weeks off and loose all the weight.
https://aasgaardco.com/store/books/the-barbell-prescription

Might consider looking into this if you feel creaky...
Vive la Paradoxe Français !!!!
458, What a great place to live, work sucks but it does pay for that nice gear you have. Equipment has really changed/improved in 10 years.

Vek, Starting Strength and its offshoots really works for me too.

Getting old isn't a journey it is a war.

mike r
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
After five months into it I'm only up to 4.4 miles an hour, incline level set at "2", for thirty minutes at a time, somewhere between a fast shuffle and a jog. If/when I can do 30 minutes at 5 mph up a level 2 incline I'll start running out on the street and take it from there.

Running on a treadmill is harder on me so I save it for specific training issues. The vast majority of my running is outdoors. If you can go 30 minutes on a treadmill you're more than ready for the street. Just like you've been doing, stay patient.

Also, shoes last me maybe 250 miles. I've been wearing Brooks Adrenaline GTS for a number of years and their wear pattern for me has been losing side to side support without making much of a dent in the sole or tread - they start feeling squishy (technical term). One of the skills you acquire is feeling when shoes are going out, but in the meantime it sounds like you have enough time in that your shoes might be due.
458, What a great place to live, work sucks but it does pay for that nice gear you have. Equipment has really changed/improved in 10 years.

mike r

I've never minded work, it's the sitting on my ass for extended periods of time that's getting to me.
I started riding my bicycle just a little bit over a year ago and I can attest to how well it works for getting back into shape. Thankfully I was never really out of shape, just needed to tone up and gain a bit more strength. Cycling is good for the core, legs, ect. and its easy on the joints. The only problem I've experienced is on longer rides of 60 or more miles, I have trouble with my right hand going numb and loosing strength in my thumb and forefinger. But other then that, its been a win win for me. I've also hit the free weights a lot in the past 2 years or so and thats been a big help also. And I do yoga once or twice a week to help keep me limbered up and loose. Its a lifestyle choice and I've chosen not to be overweight and out of shape.
For those that have experience, are elliptical machines good?
My knees hurt when I run, so if I want cardio from a machine, it's either a bike or elliptical. My gym has a couple of ellipticals that fit my body well, with regards to stride. Cranking up the resistance for some intervals of higher intensity and lower intensity wears me out in short order and makes my heart pound. The bike pumps up my legs more and just makes me sweat, which isn't bad, but the elliptical seems like more full-body work is going on. It can be made rather tough.....
Originally Posted by Vek
https://aasgaardco.com/store/books/the-barbell-prescription

Might consider looking into this if you feel creaky...

Excellent book, I gave my Dad a copy for his birthday.

mike r

I've never minded work, it's the sitting on my ass for extended periods of time that's getting to me.

Me too, amigo.
Enchanted Rock?
I'm going to tell you all something that you can take to the bank. Badshit is going to happen to you. The key is being strong enough to survive it. You can't control the things that happen to you. You can control how strong you are when they do.
Birdwatcher - great seeing that you and so many other guys are staying in reasonable shape and enjoying the great outdoors.

I'm 61 now with a few old injuries that remind me I'm not immortal, but doggone, I'm in better shape than I would have predicted 30 years ago. Regular workouts. Just staying ACTIVE helps so much. I live in snow country, here in central Washington State. During the summer I walk/hike and bicycle a lot. During the winter, cross-country skis and snowshoes give me a way to enjoy the wild country. Year round, I'm in the gym at least a few days a week. It helps!

I too have been surprised and pleased when I can easily hike with people who are far younger than me. It also helped a lot last spring when I went to Alaska for a 9 day grizzly hunt in the Arctic, and the guides were half my age... Just a few weeks ago I quartered and backpacked out my mule deer buck on a solo hunt. No problem. Just a heavy load, so I slowed my pace down and got back to the Jeep just fine after an hour's walk.

We don't need to be Hercules, but, staying in reasonable shape sure helps us as outdoorsmen.

Regards, Guy
i've gotten out of shape bad over the last year, going to have to do something about it.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I'm going to tell you all something that you can take to the bank. Badshit is going to happen to you. The key is being strong enough to survive it. You can't control the things that happen to you. You can control how strong you are when they do.

Pat..Im trying.....minus 92 pounds later and playing with 'hard' dogs!

[Linked Image]
Great pic, GSD's and Malinois are incredible to watch at work!

And a hell of an accomplishment to lose 92lbs, congrats!
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
First thing is to lose that beer belly. grin

That's my challenge!
Originally Posted by 4winds
Great pic, GSD's and Malinois are incredible to watch at work!

And a hell of an accomplishment to lose 92lbs, congrats!

Thats a dutch shepherd ...they make Malinois look laid back! grin
Cool dog.

I run 6 miles every other day at about an 8 min/mi pace. That prevents knee damage, and I ride a bike hard on my "off" days. Don't forget the upper body and core conditioning if you plan on running. Some sit ups will help a lot with that and some shoulder work with weights, push ups, pull ups, whatever, but DO IT -
BEFORE YOU CAN'T.

Best thing I've found for preventing knee pain is Ibuprofen in small amounts - not after running but before. Not much, just a little. Lots of guys say they can't run because of knee pain, but I have found running with some care does more to prevent knee pain that it does to cause it. Dropping 50# of weight also makes up for a lot less knee stress than the running causes. Of course, you can't get from couch potato to that overnight, but if you don't start working on it soon, you may never start at all.

I also wear the Brooks Adrenaline GTS shoes. I may get a few more miles out of them than JOG, but not a lot more. They wear on the outside of the heels and have to go before the rest of the shoe is in bad shape. But switching out shoes is a small price to pay for keeping the knees in good shape. If I don't run, the left knee gets really stiff and sore due to meniscus surgery years ago. Running keeps it loose, happy, and pain free.
Leroy,

The caution flag goes up when taking ibuprofen before a run. The micro tear, repair, improve process initiated by exercise, which some amount of inflammation is a part of, is retarded by ibuprofen. Exercise should break down muscles and some inflammation is part of the recovery and improvement response. It sounds like you know the drill, but it's worth pointing out.

As for the Brooks shoes, body weight is a big factor. I weigh about 220# (6'-4") which is a lot for running shoes. You're also a lot faster and likely lighter on your feet. I would be proud of a 9:30 10K compared to your 8:00. I ran a half marathon on Saturday at 10:05. I wanted to break 10, but with cold weather and a big crowd I started too conservatively. I finished fine, but I just didn't shave enough time.
JOG, I hear you about the Ibu warning. Indeed, I have heard it before. However, it is not for masking pain while running. I quit before that happens. What I measure is the pain the next day and it is definitely not good if I run w/o it. I see it as preventing inflammation that is detrimental, but I have to be careful not to cause damage that I can't feel because of the Ibu. I would like to run w/o it and I've tapered the amount I use, but I can't go w/o it so far.

I weigh 190, so a bit lighter, but not exactly a butterfly. It's been hard to get to the 8 min mark, but doing it was a motivating factor. I have yet to run a half M. But it's on my bucket list. 8.5 miles is my max so far.
Originally Posted by JOG
[quote=Birdwatcher]

Also, shoes last me maybe 250 miles. I've been wearing Brooks Adrenaline GTS for a number of years and their wear pattern for me has been losing side to side support without making much of a dent in the sole or tread - they start feeling squishy (technical term). One of the skills you acquire is feeling when shoes are going out, but in the meantime it sounds like you have enough time in that your shoes might be due.

I'm using Sketchers, I was quoted a sole life of 500 miles, dunno the truth of it yet, but my gait is so shuffling at present I ain't pounding on 'em much.

Forty years ago my epic runs were on Nike Waffle Trainers, seems they are out of production.
I was able to lose 20 lbs in preparation for this hunting season.
I spend my lunch hours on a stairmaster and I try to set aside one day each weekend for a hike of some distance and altitude.
When my wife caught a bad cold I moved to the guest quarters to try to keep from catching it myself.
My wife is a fantastic cook so eating my own cooking helped some with the weight loss for a few weeks.
After losing the first 10-15 lbs I was able to resume running occasionally. At age 59 I'll probably never return to doing a lot of running, but a little is still good.

Time seems more precious now than ever before in my life so I've had to try to use the weekend hikes for multiple benefits.
In addition to just fitness I would take the dogs, hunt sheds, take photos, scout potential future hunts.

One of the dogs gets her own hunting in during our hikes.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I bought a few early season big game licenses - most were low % hunts and less desirable tags - leftovers and such. No great expectations.
One tag was a bighorn ewe tag that I spent a couple of preference points on.
Weather and demands of life kept me from hunting much more than one day each weekend on those tags.
I only got out 2 days for muzzleloader elk and about the same for local deer.

On the very last day of my month-long bighorn season I climbed to about 13,000ft.
I was able to get a pic of the Crestone needle less than a mile away.
The needle doesn't get photographed much because it is blocked from most angles by other peaks and it looks more like a black monolith than anything needle shaped.
There had been sheep here the previous weekend but none anymore.
[Linked Image]

I had gotten what I came for, great hike and feeling good about being ready for a week long elk hunt.
I was down off the ridge and just about to treeline when a herd of bighorn appeared and was able to take a ewe from the herd.
Not much to look at really.
[Linked Image]

So far I am doing OK managing to work-in an increased amount of fitness training. Just hope that all of the circumstances in life that steal time away will allow me to continue that.
Late season will allow me to put in some miles looking for whitetail and pheasants in Kansas and Oklahoma so I hope to burn some boot leather and maintain a certain level of outdoor fitness.
50 will be here in a month for me. I have found it much easier to 'stay' in shape rather than bounce back and forth in and out of shape. I mountain bike a lot - to work, and back, ride trails in the summer/weekends - 1,850 miles worth this year. It's something I enjoy doing so it really is not work (like going to the gym). Where I live there is really only a couple months out of the year where I can't ride so I do some hiking and jack rabbit hunting. Has done wonders for my overall health and when I get in the hills I usually leave guys 10 years younger in my dust.
© 24hourcampfire