Home
I bought a bottle of Melatonin 5mg and took one last night , I fell sleep right away , woke up a few times and very easily went back to sleep.
don't feel any side effects and going to continue taking it , my doctor was right !
any other sleeping aids?
Wine.
Sex.
Preferably with a partner.
I tried Melatonin and it did nothing for me. I have issues with my brain not shutting down at night. Always trying to figure out some fabricating problem or machinery problem. Always thinking about something.
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Wine.
Sex.

that's very expensive , you have to buy her dinner and take her to a movie or something , etc...

Tried Melatonin a few years ago for a short while. It worked but it took several nights before it made any real noticeable difference for me. Had the most vivid and long dreams I remember ever having in my whole life while taking it. They were too vivid and long so I quit taking it.
Originally Posted by persiandog
I bought a bottle of Melatonin 5mg and took one last night , I fell sleep right away , woke up a few times and very easily went back to sleep.
don't feel any side effects and going to continue taking it , my doctor was right !
any other sleeping aids?

Melatonin makes you sleepy.

Valerian root keeps you that way.

I've taken both each night for years.
Originally Posted by joken2
Tried Melatonin a few years ago for a short while. It worked but it took several nights before it made any real noticeable difference for me. Had the most vivid and long dreams I remember ever having in my whole life while taking it. They were too vivid and long so I quit taking it.

yes , it was like being in a movie. My dad was there too and died in 1996.
Wine.
Sex.

that's very expensive , you have to buy her dinner and take her to a movie or something , etc...

Plus, less wine for you.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
any other sleeping aids?

I may have to look into that.
I take one of these 1-2 hours before bed. It's a blend of 9 different sleep aids. I have tried a variety of products, and this works best for me. Read up on the melatonin, more isn't better.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BGZJ8RS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
any other sleeping aids?

I may have to look into that.

Please do.

I was taking the "PM" stuff before that. On top of being addictive to get to sleep on, they made me feel fogged in the next morning.

I don't get that fogged in feeling the next morning with melatonin and valerian root.

(Interesting thing about valerian root is that the drug Valium is derived from it.)
My wife swears by Melatonin, it didn't really work for me.
Wine.
Sex.

Gee right before I came here I saw this on the Yahoo home page crazy
Kelsey Grammer loses half his 401K to ex wife
Tried it a few nights, and it didn't do anything for me. Should try it again and stick with it longer.
Posted By: yhc Re: how to get a good night sleep - 11/03/17
I thought this was a pretty good talk on the importance of getting adequate sleep. The speaker, Dr. Matt Walker who is the director of the Center for Human Sleep Science at the University of California, Berkeley, also covers some tips on sleep hygiene. You might want to take a listen to the podcast.

NPR podcast on sleep
In 1969 I took physics 101 at night school.
It made me so sleepy I stood up in the back of the class.
Many decades went by and I found some astro physics that made me sleepy.

Get the computer near the bed, turn the volume down, and try to listen to this woman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXC3xGZWo_M&list=PL4F30369DD56438FE
Originally Posted by Bwana_1

She’s probably trying to avoid the wine and sex.😄
Wine.
Sex.

Youre assuming he was referring to a her.
Posted By: Tuco Re: how to get a good night sleep - 11/03/17
Originally Posted by joken2

That was my experience, too, and I quit taking Melatonin for the same reason.
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Wine.
Sex.

Youre assuming he was referring to a her.

That would be a safe assumption. Only one, though, the wife wouldn't entertain additional womenz.
Originally Posted by Tuco
[quote=joken2]
That was my experience, too, and I quit taking Melatonin for the same reason.

Vivid dreams will go away . some other medication has the same effect ( blood pressure meds ) and it will stop after a week or so.

btw : vivid dream might be good for you :

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...-having-vivid-dreams-benefits-your-brain
Three fingers....no more...no less....

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by BRISTECD
Originally Posted by Bwana_1

She’s probably trying to avoid the wine and sex.😄

smile
I get excellent results from a couple of aspirin. But I won't take aspirin for at least twelve hours one way or the other from drinking alcohol. Also, I limit this solution because aspirin amps up my tinnitus the next day.

A glass of warm milk still works like a charm for some people.

Valerian root works very well. I take half the recommended dose with a half a glass of milk and fall asleep within about ten minutes. The nice thing about Valerian root is you can shrug it off and be clear headed if there is suddenly some reason to be awake.

I'm a night owl. If I have to go to bed hours early due to a class or shooting match or something the next day, I use Valerian root and aspirin to get to sleep.
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

[Linked Image]

Now you're talkin'!

That's great Kentucky bourbon!

3 fingers... In a coffee can? grin
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
I take one of these 1-2 hours before bed. It's a blend of 9 different sleep aids. I have tried a variety of products, and this works best for me. Read up on the melatonin, more isn't better.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BGZJ8RS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's the ingredients in this stuff I take: Valerian Root, Lemon Balm Leaf, Hops Flower, L-Theanine, GABA, Chamomile Flower, Passion Flower, 5-HTP, Melatonin.

mere alcohol doesn't help me anymore .

[Linked Image]

Now you're talkin'!

I love that song.
any other sleeping aids?

Cool. Glad you solved the issue.
[Linked Image]

Think of this, it will help you 😴 sleep
I dont sleep well until the wife gets up and I know the kids are okay.

Then I sleep hard for about an hour.

[Linked Image]

Now you're talkin'!

Yup. Big Fat Fingers.
Melatonin did nothing for me. I went to Costco and bought a big bottle of Acetametophin PM . Take 2 within 1 hour of going to bed. If I forget, I can tell because I can't get to sleep. Only take 2, don't keep adding. The PM doesn't have a half life like some of the sleeping pills the dr's give you. I sleep soundly, start waking up after 8 hours with out an alarm clock.

If the alcohol isn't doing it on any particular day, I roll over and bang the wife. Let's not over complicate things.
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I went to Costco and bought a big bottle of Acetametophin PM . Take 2 within 1 hour of going to bed.

the active ingredient of Acetaminophen PM (diphenhydramine ) can have many side effects , please read this to see if it applies to you. btw you don't need the Acetaminophen .

https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-1428/diphenhydramine-oral/details
A hard day's work and clean living usually do it for me.

Wife says I fall asleep within 30 seconds usually. Wake up 6-7 hours later ready to go.
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
A hard day's work and clean living usually do it for me.

Whoaaaaa...hang on a minute! What's this 'clean living' stuff?
Ambien works like a charm for me when I need it.
This is what works for me:

1) Turn the TV off well before your bedtime and don't read. Light prevents your natural melatonin from kicking in.
2) Go to bed at the same time every night if possible and get up at the same time if possible. Turn your alarm clock around so you can't see it during the night.
3) Do something simple to clear your mind. I usually play on Solitaire on my ipad or laptop until I get drowsy and can't figure out the next move, usually takes 10-15 minutes. Go to bed immediately.
4) Darken your bedroom until you can't see your hand in front of your face.
5) Don't eat anything for 3 hours before you go to bed and don't drink a lot of anything before you go to bed.
6) Take a natural sleep aid like melatonin and hour or so before you go to bed if you need to, 1/2 of a 3mg tablet works for me.
7) Retire from your job.

Number 7 is what really worked for me. I wake up as soon as it starts getting daylight everyday.

Interesting answers.

Right or wrong I fall asleep right after I say my nightly prayers...probably just a habit that is my queue to nod off.
Ambien has some really bad side effects like sleep walking and sleep driving. It's a hypnotic.
An hour of aerobic exercise and read a book before bed. Turn off the tv and computer a couple hours before bed.
Posted By: pal Re: how to get a good night sleep - 11/04/17
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
A hard day's work...

An honest day's work and a clear conscience.
Clear conscience is simply poor memory.
Posted By: barm Re: how to get a good night sleep - 11/04/17
Try supplementing magnesium citrate. It will help your muscles relax. Of course check with your doctor and pharmacist for any drug interactions.
any other sleeping aids?

Hopefully a doctor can confirm but it's my understanding that when you put something in artificially, you're body may (will?) compensate by stopping/slowing the production of that chemical so you'll need to keep increasing over time and, if/when you stop, your body won't just bounce right back......
If it's an occasional issue, Ambien or Lunesta are hard to beat. I don't get any of the weird side effects and it doesn't make you drowsy the next day. A prescription of Ambien runs me a whopping $3. Melatonin works pretty well too. I think I read 3mg is about the max you should take.
I tried something new (to me) for sleeping about a week ago. Vitamin D 1000 I.U Take it one hour before bedtime. It is supposed to help with your REM sleep. So far, it seems like it is helping, too. cool

Up the dose!
Order the My Pillow.
Ambien isn’t good for you, makes you emotional.
Posted By: EdM Re: how to get a good night sleep - 11/05/17
My wife's left hip bone and my right hand are all I generally need to snooze. Working abroad and alone in construction camps Ambien was the deal upon arrival for two or three days.
Originally Posted by montanabadger
Order the My Pillow.

I got one.....they're OK but they're certainly not the miracle drug they claim to be.

Mine flattens out over night just like the rest of them.
Id forget the Tylenol due to it being associated with hearing loss.
Originally Posted by hanco
Ambien isn’t good for you, makes you emotional.

All kinds of side effects. Terrible stuff. Folks should just learn progressive, self-guided, relaxation techniques. Works like a charm.

And liver damage especially if you take it while drinking alcohol.
Originally Posted by victoro

I wonder just what we CAN take as a pain reliever now?

Aspirin. Nope... that stuff will kill you.

Acetaminophen? Kills your liver.

Ibuprofen? Kills your heart.

What is someone to take when you have a simple headache anymore?

Geez.

Common sense, people.

Hell, you can die of drinking too much water.
Wine.
Sex.

You are doing it wrong....

Geez.

Common sense, people.

WELL stated. We start dying the day we are born....
Give an antihistamine allergy medicine with Diphenhydramine a try. The stuff is very inexpensive and works for me in about 30 minutes if I can't get to sleep right away. WAY safer than Ambien or it's generic Zolpidem. I've had those too, but I bite the 10 MG tablet in half and I remember reading that they found that the 10 MG was too strong for some people. My doc sister says that she hates that drug, and I know why. Once I took it to go to sleep and then my kid came in and said that we were out of milk for the morning. I go out to the store in a virtual fog and then drag my right side mirror along the truck in the garage. What scared me was that I didn't care at the time.

Geez.

Common sense, people.

Morphine.
any other sleeping aids?

I tried Melatonin, and got the vivid dreams side effect...but worse. It opened up the Pandora's Box in my mind...and I don't EVER want to go there again! eek
© 24hourcampfire