Home

I got a few pre-War carbines this past year and needed to shoot something with them. I took the 270 (Pre-Creedmoor) to Eastern Montana and went hunting for Mule Deer. It was cold, but not slick or muddy and we found some nice deer. We all got one, here is mine and my son's...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Way cool Shrap,

But isn't that scope a little small? wink

Geno

PS, nice hat, mine came out for the winter a few weeks back too, same color even.
Great. Glad to see YOU prove the 270 on a great buck. What cal was your son killing with, Shrap?

Also, what bullet and distance and was the bullet recovered, please?
Nice bucks!

You toss the carbine outta the truck window and check zero?
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Nice bucks!

You toss the carbine outta the truck window and check zero?

Hard to believe that I didn't throw it out the window, it isn't a Creed, and it is a 270...
Very nice bucks and really cool rifle..
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Great. Glad to see YOU prove the 270 on a great buck. What cal was your son killing with, Shrap?

Also, what bullet and distance and was the bullet recovered, please?

No recovered bullets, he was using a 270 as well with 130 grain Nosler BT. Mine was at around 100 yards, his was a bit farther at 475...
Shrapnel: Wowsers!
What great Bucks you all harvested!
And with such a cool Rifle (yours).
Good for you both.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Nice couple of bucks!
Damn fine bucks
Well done! Especially with a vintage rifle/scope. Cool factor very high on this one.

Curious about the scope. Any details?
That is very well done...
Nice rifle, nice deer.
Well done! Those are some nice bucks.
Well done and with a classic combo.
Very nice!
Living large! Congratulations!
Who made your bino pack?
The Ruger American is nice
Congratulations
Thanks for the great pics and story of a world record kill. Just imagine, big buck down, 270, 475 yards, dead deer, pass through, MAGA.
Well, even a chit gun has to get lucky once in a while! smile

Nice beard.

Better deer.
NICE bucks! but that rifle of yours.....

Well let's just say that things way too fugly to stay in Montana. Wouldn't want to embarrass the folks and rile the natives...better send it to me for safe keeping.

Seriously, that is a VERY nice rifle.

-Mike-
Good job Shrapnel...I killed a decent mule deer buck last year with gramp's pre-war model 70 in .270 Win too...though I used the incredibly awesome 150 speer hot cor.

Absolutely devastating combo.
One of my goals in the near future is to whack a moose with Dad's '94, manufactured in 1927. I should probably do it, like, in 10 years.... smile. the last thing I killed with it was a white-tail doe in 1966....

It's getting a serious pout!
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I got a few pre-War carbines this past year and needed to shoot something with them. I took the 270 (Pre-Creedmoor) to Eastern Montana and went hunting for Mule Deer. It was cold, but not slick or muddy and we found some nice deer. We all got one, here is mine and my son's...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice bucks, shrap. Love the period correct stuff.. including the hat. smile
Schrap..

Nice mulie..You look like you just ran him down in that pic..:)

BTW- WTF is up with the RUGER AMERICAN your boy is toting?

You have said they weren't worth hunting with ..:() ?

Your son seems to have a lot of common sense when it comes to gear. He must have gotten that from his mom...:)
It appears you have found the pre-64 carbines a little handier to hunt with. I would like to see you buy the pre-64 supper grade 250/3000 carbine on Gunbroker and hunt with it next year.

Congratulations to you and your son on two nice bucks. You look half frozen just how cold was it?
great twofer!

digging the pre war 270. I bet it shoots as good as it looks too.
Classic, in more ways than one!
nice hunting there, buddy. smile
I hunt often with 'old' rifles.
Great stuff there Shrapnel, thanks for the pics...doing it right with "the " classic rifle.
Those are beautiful deer but I'm more of a purist. Don't have much use for the fancy newer stuff.

[Linked Image]

Travis
Shrapnel, nice job for you and the boy! Now, when you gonna knuckle down and write a book with lotsa pictures of all your adventures and rifles? Ol Mike could prolly help you a bit, for a small donation or maybe a box of food and stuff.
Excellent! I love old rifles.
Too bad things didn't work out for you guys. ;-{>8
Hello friend, long time no chat. Good to see you getting it done. Last time I was on here you had a bummed up leg. Hope your recovery was 100%.
Both bucks are really nice. Congrats.
Originally Posted by deflave
Those are beautiful deer but I'm more of a purist. Don't have much use for the fancy newer stuff.

[Linked Image]

Travis

Nice Buck! It looks like you got that 30-40 Krag sorted!
Nice - made meat with my pre-war 30Gov't06 this fall also. Mine was give to me by my Grandfather before he passed back in the early 80's. He had won it in a big buck contest with a 38 3/4" wide mule deer buck. Fun to hunt with a rifle with some history.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by jk16
Schrap..

Your son seems to have a lot of common sense when it comes to gear. He must have gotten that from his mom...:)

I don't know how to photoshop or I would have changed that gun to a Sako...
Beautiful all the way around.
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by jk16
Schrap..

I don't know how to photoshop or I would have changed that gun to a Sako...

Lol..Computer skills man ,Computer skills..

Once again, congrats to you and your son enjoying such a grand day afield together.
Originally Posted by deflave

[Linked Image]

Travis

Cool isn't even close with that relic. This is cool...

[Linked Image]
Nice bucks.

What do you mean “pre-Creedmoor”?

When you u said you went mule deer hunting I was expecting a pic of JB...
Color me lame but is the carbine different from the featherweight? I've honestly never heard of a M70 Carbine.

Great gear and great mule deers!
Originally Posted by efw
Nice bucks.

What do you mean “pre-Creedmoor”?

When you u said you went mule deer hunting I was expecting a pic of JB...

Old guns are interesting, and I guess this is a pleasant way of "Dissing" the 6.5 Creedmoor which can't outperform this 270 that has been killing deer for almost a century...
Looks like a hell of a good day, congrats.
Originally Posted by Paradiddle
Color me lame but is the carbine different from the featherweight? I've honestly never heard of a M70 Carbine.

Carbine is what they have been called although they were originally considered a short rifle, which is still different from the Featherweight.

The carbines pre-date the featherweights. They are basically the same as rifles except the barrel is 20" instead of 24". They have the same barrel profile also as full size rifles.

The featherweights introduced in I think '53 have a smaller barrel profile and are 22". the stocks are also lighter and have two holes drilled through the butt to help lighten. also the bottom metal is aluminum as was the butt plate till they switched to plastic in about '58 to '59.
Shrap, great pair of bucks! I love those prairie/breaks mule deer. I used to hunt them north of you, up in Alberta in the similar habitat found along the Red Deer and S. Saskatchewan.
Originally Posted by 1911a1

The carbines pre-date the featherweights. They are basically the same as rifles except the barrel is 20" instead of 24". They have the same barrel profile also as full size rifles.

The featherweights introduced in I think '53 have a smaller barrel profile and are 22". the stocks are also lighter and have two holes drilled through the butt to help lighten. also the bottom metal is aluminum as was the butt plate till they switched to plastic in about '58 to '59.

Excellent info. I was semi-aware but you have cleared up the question nicely.
Thanks guys - always learn something here.
© 24hourcampfire