Home
Put it on your calendars; we’ll be having a Michigan Area Get Together on Saturday, April 21st.

We’ll have more details to come but this will be our 4th and it promises to be a great time!

For the third time Whelenman’s Coopersville Sporteman’s Club will be the location for the main event where we can shoot centerfire rifles out to 200 yards, there are several handgun ranges, and we’ll have burgers & hot dogs on the grill.

We also have a tradition of meeting at the New Beginnings in Coopersville right off the expressway for breakfast.

It’ll be an awesome time and I hope everyone will get it on their calendars; Saturday, April 21st 2018!!
I hope to make it, Iv wanted to make the other ones, but something has always come up!
I marked it on my calendar, count me in!
sounds like fun, I'm going to try and make that! thanks!
Right on the opener of turkey....................... Dude
I'd like to come up and meet some of you fine folk!! It's not to far of a trip for me.
Looks like I can make this one.
Missed all the previous since the first one due to schedule issues.
Nothing new to shoot, but not shooting much lately so might have to bring some that have been neglected lately..
Tim
Originally Posted by J23
I'd like to come up and meet some of you fine folk!! It's not to far of a trip for me.

The more the merrier; you’d be most welcome!

Originally Posted by passport
Right on the opener of turkey....................... Dude

Sorry bro we had to get a date established ASAP or it’d slip by and we wouldn’t do it so Whelenman and I just pulled this one out of our rears... I’m a 231 guy so turkey season starts late for me...
I would like to attend this year, unless my health acts up again.
The turkeys can wait a day or two.
For those that are thinking of attending you might want to change your mind......I'll be there, with rings on my fingers and bells on my toes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do I have to load up extra 44mags for your boy?
you forgot " and a bone in my nose, ha ha" Toby
Lmao! Yes Boss!

If you need help from me just holler, I ain't shinin' yer shoes again this year........
planning ahead a bit?
Yeah Scott the last couple years we’ve talked about it but the time slipped by and before we knew it we were packed so Whelenman and I made a pact to put this on the calendar early.

I hope you can make it!

Yeah Paul Samuel will be up for running through Ammo; I’ve actually got my Redhawk 44 mag up and running for deer season!

He has grown quite a lot since last time... here are pics from our trip to Wyoming last month:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12318557/wyoming-17#Post12318557

Looking forward to this guys it’s always a great time!
Originally Posted by efw
He has grown quite a lot since last time...

You ain't just a kidding! Ain't nobody pickin' on that boy, I'll load up lots of ammo......I don't want Samuel upset.
Eric-I'm gonna try to make it. It's been too long since we matched up. You're not gonna make me hike half way up a mountain to eat creme brulet, though are you?
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Eric-I'm gonna try to make it. It's been too long since we matched up. You're not gonna make me hike half way up a mountain to eat creme brulet, though are you?

Ummm.......he goes by Ernie now.
Hosts who get me on nice bucks get invited for creme brûlée up the mountain as a gesture of gratitude; NOT just so they can help me bring it down...

Who else can come??
Bump
As always, I look forward to it! Just one thought....that may be the first Saturday of turkey season.

405wcf
passport has already thought of that.
Originally Posted by efw
Hosts who get me on nice bucks get invited for creme brûlée up the mountain as a gesture of gratitude; NOT just so they can help me bring it down...

Who else can come??

After looking at the logistics of getting there and the time it would take, I've got to bow out. Map Quest takes me to Milwaukee and then a two and a half hour ferry ride across Lake Michigan. $200.00 to get my car across the lake in two hours, or another day's drive to drive around the lake. 'Can't really justify it either way. Sorry guys, but I'll have to pass. I hope everyone has a great time.
That's a bummer GG.

I was hoping there would be someone there to protect me from Denny this year.......

GG
I live straight across the lake from Milwaukee in Grand Haven MI (25 minutes from the ferry) (30 minutes from the shoot out).
My son lives in Watertown, WI (between Madison and Milwaukee).
The drive around Chicago area on toll roads to visit does not take any longer (about 5 hours) than the ferry when you consider
docking, load, unload, etc time. Also gas and tolls about 1/4 the ferry cost.

It would be a stretch to come from Minn whatever the rout.
It would be cool to have some out of staters come though.
Tim
Originally Posted by 12344mag
That's a bummer GG.

I was hoping there would be someone there to protect me from Denny this year.......

I'm am deeply hunt!
up
up
Happy Thanksgiving y’all!!!
EFW,

Just saw this.
Yes, count me in.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Looking forward to seeing you guys again. Always a good time.

JD338
Hope to make it. It all depends on turkey camp and where it falls this year.

Is this the range that's on the backside of Muskegon Wastewater complex?
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Hope to make it. It all depends on turkey camp and where it falls this year.

Is this the range that's on the backside of Muskegon Wastewater complex?

I'm glad to see you are coming, at least I'll have someone to watch my back.
A Michigan get together must be a rude-ass American contest.

If nobody from Northwest Montana shows up,..the Michigan people are a shoo-in to take the gold cup.
If ya wanna see how crotchety an American can be,..ask a Northwestern Montana waitress what a "Jo-Jo" is.

They're fried potatoes.

Apparently,..everybody in the world is supposed to know what a fuggin' "Jo-Jo" is.

If ya don't, a Northwestern Montana waitress will whup your ass over it,...and the tip be damned.
yes! on Swanson rd. 1 mile North of Bailey.
where are you?
Really wish I could make it. I didn't realize how long the drive would be for me. Plus, we're planning a fall trip-either back out east to Pa. or maybe taking my son to Wyoming for antelope. I understand we can get doe tags over the counter out there. For those who have never had a chance to meet EFW, he's a good guy. We hunted together out of my camp in Pennsylvania.last year and really had a great time. Looking forward to matching up with Eric again some time. Have a great time guys.
efw I mean Ernie, he a sissy, and a grunt! smile
Made one of the first one, it's time to go again.
[Linked Image]
I can't hardly believe it's been that long!!
up
Originally Posted by jbmi

Good we'll see you there.

Just an FYI, Ernie has gotten better looking, he has aged well.
We are just kidding around, Ernie, Toby, and I. I hope more of you can make it!
I think I am going to try to make this one. It is my first full year in Michigan in 20 years.
up
Originally Posted by Whelenman
We are just kidding around, Ernie, Toby, and I. I hope more of you can make it!

Who's kidding around?

Have you seen Ernie lately? The dude is a hunk!!
where are you?

Between you and GH to your west. A bit closer to GH, just off the river.

My guess is first season turkey opens that following Monday. Our camp depends on when we draw. Personally I'd rather head to Drummond a week later for the perch run. That way I get to do both. smile
South side or North side?
Originally Posted by RAS
I think I am going to try to make this one. It is my first full year in Michigan in 20 years.

That’d be super cool let’s see if we can get more guys signed up...
Any one keeping a tally of attendees?????s

Sounds like its gonna be a good one.

I guess I better get to some reloading.

Tim
Best bring beer too!!

Gout has cured me of the desire for beer. Now good bourbon........
After the guns are put away of course.
Tim
Marked it down on calendar.

I will be there. And for those Savage Forum guys going, I will bring some of my Savage 99s. If any Winchester guys are going, please chime in so I have a reason to bring a few of those.

I plan on hitting the range. Maybe a friendly .22 contest?

Thank you for putting this together.
Like maybe and egg shoot??????
Im waiting to see about the Turkey season dates, but would like to go!
Egg shoot sounds fun to me!!
This being my first Campfire Gathering, what should I bring? A few rifles for the range? Ammunition? ...and Bourbon?
tag
Originally Posted by jbmi

Good we'll see you there.

Just an FYI, Ernie has gotten better looking, he has aged well.

My wife agrees thank God... my beard looks a lot whiter these days tho...

Originally Posted by J23
This being my first Campfire Gathering, what should I bring? A few rifles for the range? Ammunition? ...and Bourbon?

Sounds about right to me but the question of ice or none is likely to start a riot the likes of which have not been seen since we debated the question of beans or no beans in chili...
If the snow is melted there shouldn't be any ice in the parking lot.
Wait, you were talking about ice for drinks? grin
Considering aging well, I thought Michiganroadkill was like 30....

"was" being the operative word. But, hidden under the gray there still is a "like 30" year old at heart.
Originally Posted by tomk
Considering aging well, I thought Michiganroadkill was like 30....

Don't take Ernie's thunder away dude.....
Grin...yeah, the 30 yr old in me was willing to hunt longer this AM, but the rest of me froze out by 9:30....
Looks like the younger in me will be having a 257 Bob to play with soon.
I needed something to wear to the party.

I was kinda hoping to get out for the late antlerless season, but not sure how the
conditions are in the White Cloud area, but they suck here. Guess I will be cleaning
up the last of the frezzer burnt venison this coming year.
Tim, I took your 257 loads out to Jane in Colorado. She is working on baby #2, so that 257 isn't getting out much. Are you putting another 257 together?

Snowy but plenty of deer here and they are active. Not this AM though, of course. Carol got one in the driveway about a month ago, busting the corner of her bumper and another took the front end out near the 7 Mile about two weeks ago... $5000 estimate.

My friend, I always appreciated the invite to hunt with you on your WC property. But I hate to shoot a deer from out under a guy...so I thought it best to hunt it when you weren't there. Here are a couple of 1 1/2 year olds I culled off of it for you this year, due to their obvious genetic deficiencies

[Linked Image]
Will Fellows count me in! Ill be comeing down with RAS as it looks like Turkey season is the following weekend!
Originally Posted by saddlering
Will Fellows count me in! Ill be comeing down with RAS as it looks like Turkey season is the following weekend!

Just remember, we are working on Ernie's self confidence so be sure to tell him how good he looks when you show up.
Tom
Yeah, we let those walk for the poachers.
I didn't see much in your UP spots. Your home in the bullseye for CWD ????

I have a Ruger 77RL in 257 Bob coming my way. I have one in 308 I got in early 90s that I love, so......
Now I need 257 brass and bullets again. Fortunately I kept the dies.

By the time for the shoot out, I should have it tweaked in.
I'll bet you do...:)

Nope, clean in both. I imagine the wolves and coyotes took care of any UP issue for the next decade...better this year but still pretty sparse except in pockets.

If I had known I would have bought your loads--just got back Thurs from CO. Am headed back out the first of April and will see if they survived the winter. Someone ought to shoot them! I do kinda miss that 257. Made up a lighter 6.5/257 to take its place.
Speaking of Bobs I’m still loving the Kimber 84M I bought from Rylee after shooting it at the 2016 Get Together. It served me very nicely in Pennsylvania that fall and if I’d have had it with me in Honor opening weekend I’d may have an empty freezer.

Looking forward to this event gentlemen! I hope everybody’s enjoying the deep freeze!!
Bump for Ernie!
I would like to be there as well.
Originally Posted by JackVliet

Awesome Jack! You honk you’d be able to make it for breakfast at New Beginnibgs in Coopersville?
What time would that be?
Originally Posted by efw

Awesome Jack! You honk you’d be able to make it for breakfast at New Beginnibgs in Coopersville?
Sure wish I could make it Eric. Did you see there's going to be a Savage Fest in August in southern Wisconsin? I'm going to that. Any interest in matching up there?
What time would that be?

Yet to be determined prolly 830-9?
I'll try to make it. Any shotgun shooting?
Bump!
I will try to attend. Sounds like a good time.

I also wanted to share here and now my efforts to use my 45/70 here in SW Michigan. As most of you probably know here in my part of MI if we want to use a "modern" firearm as opposed to shotgun or muzzle loader we are limited to using straight walled cases that are no longer than 1.8". I thought that ruled out my 45/70 which has a case length of 2.105" but found out that if I trim the cases back to 1.8" then I can use it. I was stoked to learn this.

I decided to initially see if I could get a suitable load developed using the Missouri Cast Bullets 405 grain coated bullet. Before moving to Michigan I had worked up several great loads with various bullets one of which was the Missouri coated cast 405 grain bullet using a full length case and 43 grains of H4198 and a CCI 200 primer which gave me 1600 fps. If I tried to get much over that velocity I would get terrible accuracy due to terrible leading. The coating they use apparently is not adequate for higher velocities.

With these shortened cases I figured I could load the bullet out long (that is not seat the bullet to the crimp groove but rather seat it to the grease groove closest to the crimp groove) which should reduce pressures somewhat. I had to buy a custom Lee Factory Crimp Die and have my sizing die shortened. Even though I loaded the bullet to crimp over what would normally be a grease groove instead of to the crimp groove I figured I would likely still need to reduce the powder charge. The loaded cartridge length is now 2.5" instead of 2.52" when loaded in a full length case to the crimp groove.

Initially with these shortened cases I tried 40 grains and then 38 grains and finally 37.3 grains. I think the 37.3 grain load will likely be the one I settle on. Velocity averaged 1480 fps.

I need to do a bit more shooting but so far it looks quite promising. Shooting from a standing position I had a sandbag placed on my fence rail to support the fore end and my shooting sticks supporting the buttstock and fired a 3 shot group at 55 yards. The group was horizontal with all bullets touching and measured 0.6" center to center. I think the deer are in trouble!

The gun is a Marlin 1895 SBL and I have a Leupold Vari X 2 2-7 scope with additional dots below the crosshair for further distance aim points. If zeroed at 100 yards I should be on at 125, 150 and 175 with the other aim points.
Can we get a tally of who all is planning to attend?

If you are and your name isn’t listed here say so; this will help Denny & me get our arms around this.

We’ll plan to meet at the Coopersville New Beginnings at 8 and then convoy over to the Club and start shooting 1030-11?

We’ll grill burgers dogs & brats at Club, Whelenman’s better half is making her delicious baked beans, and we’ll potluck sides & desserts.

Here are those who I could tell are planning to make it for sure:

Efw
Whelenman
Saddlering
M_stevenson
Michiganroadkill
12344Mag
RAS
405WCF
JD338
JBMI
labsandelk
Rylee

(12 total)

there were a lot who said they’d like to but weren’t sure so if you’re now sure say so here and I’ll add your name!

I’ve gotten a lot of offers to help proving once again this is an awesome place to be; I’ll circle back to you gentlemen as the time draws nearer and unknowns become known.

Thanks so much gentlemen,

Ernie
Add me to the list. Thanks and see you all then, Rufous (Brian)
Originally Posted by GSPfan
I'll try to make it. Any shotgun shooting?

Club offers 5 stand & Whelenman is gonna familiarize Himself with its operation before the get together so we oughta be able to do some of that, yes.

Rifle ranges out to 200 yards & pistol bay as well.

This is always a great time I’m excited to see my old favorites and see some new faces.

With Rufus we have 13 total.

Keep me coming gentlemen,

Efw
Ttt
Sad to say I have to cancel this great get-to-gather.
April 21 is my first registered Trap Shoot over in Reed City.
Ya-all have fun now.
Shorty you can’t make it J I hope your season goes well.

That puts us at a dozen.
Sorry fort the late reply efw, I don't think I'll make breakfast.
I live up in rose city, I am planning to have that saturday off!
Efw
Whelenman
Saddlering
M_stevenson
Michiganroadkill
12344Mag
RAS
405WCF
JD338
Rufus
labsandelk
Rylee
Jackvliet

(13 total)

Also Rylee suggested we bring stuff we’d like to sell or trade. Post up what ya got in this thread if you’d like... I bought Rylee’s 84M Classic Select a couple years ago after shooting it at the gathering.

Looking forward to seeing y’all,

Efw
A swap meet too, this gets better and better.......
Any of you boys interested in Pistol Brass? I have .40 S&W, 9mm Luger, .380, and some rifle brass, Campfire get together prices.

If any of you are interested let me know and I'll bring it along.
Where's Coopersville? Sorry, only lived in Michigan 80 years.
Coopersville is at the base of the spine. Easy to find!

Gonna attempt to make it, but won't know for a week or two--if my kids lived 1000 miles closer, it would help...
It is in between Holland, Muskegon and Grand Rapids.
Originally Posted by tomk
Coopersville is at the base of the spine. Easy to find!

Coopersville is a tramp stamp? whistle
Well not exactly, but I probably said enough--I think that is kinda Tim's back yard...

They used to call it Hootersville, when we were pups...eaten a lot of breakfasts at New Beginnings.
I still plan on making it, wont make it for breakfast but shortly after. We are moving and downsizing so anyone interested in some wildlife art I have several such as Jim Foote David Ruimveld and several more. If anyone has any interest let me know I will send some pics

Rob
we will have to bring clay pigeons, for the 5 stand sporting clays. I have a meeting Monday hopefully I can find out how to run it. We have to bring our own shells also.

That isn't what you think, Toby.

That isn't what you think, Toby.

Dammit!!
Hello guys...

I said way back when that I would make it this year. I am now flying to Kodiak Island on the 21st to attend a hunt. Therefore, I cannot make it. I hope everyone has a great time. Sorry I am going to miss it.

RAS
I may have a couple boxes of pick up clay birds if I get up the deer camp that I could donate.
Tim
me
Whelenman
Saddlering
M_stevenson
Michiganroadkill
12344Mag
405WCF
JD338
Rufus
Jackvliet
Clintsfolly

(11 total)

Here is the list of definates so far.

Best of luck on your dream hunt RAS that sounds incredible!!!
Sorry fellows Im going to have to Bow out myself! to much has come up, hope to make the next one! John
I'll try to remember to pick up a case of birds as well.
We have a meeting tonight, maybe I can find somebody who knows how to run it.
I'm going to have two Knight muzzleloaders and bullets, sabots, Pyrodex RS etc. for sale. Great package deal price
I got the scoop on the sporting clays. How many are going to shoot ? I'm asking because we have to supply the clay pigeons, and the rabbit thrower, need special clays.
Samuel and I’ll be interested in shooting 100 clays each I am sure thanks Denny!
I hope you all have fun!!!
I have a case of clays I will donate

Also looking for a pair of swarovski binos if anyone has a pair they would like to find a home for
me
Whelenman
Saddlering
M_stevenson
Michiganroadkill
12344Mag
405WCF
JD338
Rufus
Jackvliet
Rylee
Clintsfolly

(12 total)

Here is the list of definates so far.

Let me know if you plan to be at breakfast. new beginnings Coopersville 8 am then leave convoy-style about 930 for the club and start shooting 10-ish.

I’m bringing burgers and dogs can I get volunteers to bring the buns?

Everyone else bring a side (Whelenman’s wife is sending baked beans!!) or dessert?

Cool?
I will be there for breakfast and will bring hot dog and burger buns.
Tim
thanks Tim!!!
Ernie!

I hope Samual has been exercising his trigger finger, I gots lots of ammo loaded for him........
Unfortunately Samuel is going to be working next Saturday and can’t come. His not so little brother may come, but he isn’t a huge fan of shooting so I’ll likely be coming alone.

You need to teach that boy how to cut work...........

Too bad, I was looking forward to seeing that smile he gets on his face when he dumps the hammer on the 44mag.
If the 44mag make him grin what will happen with the 475linebough ?
Originally Posted by clintsfolly

I don't know but you should bring it and see what happens to my smile.......
Originally Posted by clintsfolly

I don't know but you should bring it and see what happens to my smile.......

...and mine....
What time is the breakfast meet again????
Should I also bring condiments with the buns?????
Tim
I have a compact 3x9 Leupy to sell there also.
Tim breakfast is 8-ish.

Got meat, buns, & condiments covered.

I’m sending a PM to remind everyone to bring sides!

Thanks all!!
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill

Ummmm, it's not that kind of get together.........

Phew I’m relieved you didn’t spring for the mayo...
Originally Posted by efw

Phew I’m relieved you didn’t spring for the mayo...

Never, Butter on my sammies only..........
I hope you all assemble close enough to slam PAMac's new restaurant out of about 200 lbs of ribs and fixins. cool
unfortunately where're about 1.5 hours away from there Gunner, I was hoping Paul would make it this year but it doesn't look like he will. I think he might be a little busy.
Hey Paul, can you send me the address to his restaurant please?
I might swing by there on my way back to the new house on Saturday after the shoot.
It might not be too far out of the way.
Predicted high on Saturday is 58 near the Club! That’s gonna feel tropical after this long lived deep freeze!!! Whew ha!

I’ve got a case of clays, quite a few guns, lots of ammo, hamburgers, and hot dogs!!!!!!

If you’d like to come but haven’t been counted come on along anyway. There’ll be plenty for everyone!

Really looking forward to seeing you all Saturday,

Efw
Tomorrow’s gonna be gorgeous!!!!

Looking forward to seeing y’all!!!
I’ve decided that I’m too busy with the new house to come out and play.

Bwahahahahahah!

Just kidding I will see you folks in the morning.

Is there a store that might have 6.5 Creedmoor ammunition
anywhere near the restaurant or on the way to the club?
Guy's enjoy your get together. Flying out in the morning One day I can attend
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
I’ve decided that I’m too busy with the new house to come out and play.

Bwahahahahahah!

Just kidding I will see you folks in the morning.

Is there a store that might have 6.5 Creedmoor ammunition
anywhere near the restaurant or on the way to the club?

We're gonna have to teach you how to reload..........

We can check at the Mayors place in the morning he might have some.

I got 3 cases of birds so we should have lots of birds for all.
Post some pics!!
Best wishes to the boys getting together down in Michigan this weekends. 'Hope you have a great time gents. Wish I could be there with you. You guys gotta be sure to ask Eric (EFW) to whip you up some creme brulet on his deer hunting stove.

Have fun guys, and shoot us some pictures here if you can.

If any of you are coming to the get together in Wisconsin later this year, we'll see you there!
Sorry guys I still don’t get the posting of pics here so this is the place I dumped the ones I crook:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...-campfire-get-together-2018#Post12812626
Rylee brought his Fieldcraft 7-08 which is sweet! I shot a good group using my T3 7-08 I just finally sighted in w/ a Weaver Grand Slam 3-10x 40mm.

Michiganroadkill brought his gorgeous stash of custom knives and we all gathered round to lust.

405WCF brought his namesake 1895 & a Springfield 03.

MarkStevenson showed off his beautiful Kimber 84L 270 (I’d never shot a 270 before I hope I’m not tainted).

Rufus was the new guy and it was great to get to know him.

12344Mag has his Casull which is a real thumper.

It really was a great time. Thanks a lot to Whelenman for pushing this along and letting us gather at his Club.

Every time I meet with the brothers here I’m amazed at what a great bunch we have here. Just fantastic guys thanks all!
Thanks so much to EFW for the food and Whelenman for the gun club and for getting this going It was a great time and a great bunch of guys Thanks to all
I enjoyed the gathering. Hope to see you all again.
Thanx to Denny and that handsome Ernie, I had a great time as well, bunch of great guys in the group for sure.

I thought for sure we were going to see Bristoe and his pup there.........
I got home at 7:30 here in extreme southern Michigan.
On the way home my truck threw a Check Engine fault.
Late Saturday meant searching for an Autozone to read the code.
Thankfully it was just an evap fault.

Denny, Paul, Eric thanks for bringing this together.
If we can find a place to put one on in South/ Central area
I would be willing to do a bunch of the organizing
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Denny, Paul, Eric thanks for bringing this together.
If we can find a place to put one on in South/ Central area
I would be willing to do a bunch of the organizing

I don't know how I dragged into this with these two but Eric and Denny are the ones responsible for this event, I did nothing beside take advantage of it.
Thanks fellas for another great event. Sorry I showed up late.
Getting married in June, putting 2 houses up for sale and looking for property to build...
Thankfully I got a text from efw asking "Where are you?"
You guys are a good bunch of gun nuts! I'll be on time at the next get together.

JD338
Gentlemen, thank you for a great day. Special thanks to EFW and Whelenman for hosting.

I look forward to doing this again.

405wcf
© 24hourcampfire