Home
I field dressed a deer in a field that sat there about an hour in cool (low 50's) weather. Then in a few hours, I hung it, head up, in a walk in cooler. I put a 5 gallon bucket underneath its ass to catch what ever little blood or water that would slowly drain overnight. At about 10 pm I noticed a big maggot of some type on a blood spot underneath the deer and thought, that's weird? It was about 1/2 inch long and half as big around as a pencil. Then the next morning I look at the hanging deer and there's another larvae of some type on the hindquarters where I split it to clean out the rectal area etc. Then I moved the bucket that was underneath it and there were a dozen or so of these nasty lookin "grubworms/larvae" IN THE BUCKET?????? This was all in a walk in cooler, after being in there all night. Anybody ever see such a thing? Could these be fly larve from the day before, from flys that were on it while it sat, field dressed on the ground for about an hour? Would they hatch that fast and would they be that big? They were 10xs the size of a plain, old maggot. I am just shocked they showed up so fast. What say you??
Google: Nose Bot. Very common in sheep and goats. Totally harmless to the deer and humans.
+1
Botfly?
Don't think I've ever seen any of our deer without the nose bots/botfly larva.

Weird looking first time you see em but extremely common.
Wolves
I quarter them up and get them on ice as soon as I kill one, but it’s always hot in Texas.
© 24hourcampfire