Home
Posted By: wabigoon DeWalt Cordless Tools? - 11/14/17
It seem the push is to 20 volt tools. That would render our 18 volt tools obsolete. What do you know. or think?
Posted By: schoolmarm Re: DeWalt Cordless Tools? - 11/14/17
Originally Posted by wabigoon
It seem the push is to 20 volt tools. That would render our 18 volt tools obsolete. What do you know. or think?

Got a bunch of 18s that I'm selling. I'm moving to 20s..
Posted By: horse1 Re: DeWalt Cordless Tools? - 11/14/17
They make an adaptor to allow 18's to work w/20 batteries.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: DeWalt Cordless Tools? - 11/14/17
New technology allows higher voltage batteries to be smaller and lighter than the older lower volt ones. A few extra V's are a big help. Batteries for the old tools will be around for a long time so they won't be obsolete.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: DeWalt Cordless Tools? - 11/14/17
Some of the 18v tools can be heavy.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: DeWalt Cordless Tools? - 11/14/17
I am still using the 18V stuff. Just no real reason to switch at this point. They do the job still.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: DeWalt Cordless Tools? - 11/14/17
I hate using tools that operate with batteries that can become obsolete.

There's a box in the shop with drills, saws, etc. along with the bad batteries and chargers. Probably ought to just toss them. frown

I've gone to buying air tools when I can. I have a compressor in my shop, and on my pickup, so they are handy and mobile.

The one exception is my Lincoln grease gun. I love that thing!
Posted By: Clarkm Re: DeWalt Cordless Tools? - 11/14/17
I have an 18V and a 20V Dewalt screwdriver/drill.

The 18V died fast. I bought another 18V top.

The 18V batteries do not last long on a charge.
The 20V has so much torque, I can hurt myself.

There are zillions of Milwaukee vs DeWalt tests on youtube, I like this one

I guess I am still living in a cave. Two years ago I built a big addition onto my house using my 14 volt DeWalt cordless drill.
That thing is a champion! Worked fine, what a great tool.

I guess I don't know what I am missing.
The 20v are more powerful , stay charged longer. If you have old 18v Stuff there is an adapter to use 20v batteries. I haven’t tried it though. I don’t regret one bit switching to 20v dewalt.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: DeWalt Cordless Tools? - 11/14/17
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I guess I am still living in a cave. Two years ago I built a big addition onto my house using my 14 volt DeWalt cordless drill.

I built a 96' long foundation super insulated solar home in the 80s with a 9.6 Volt Makita.
Posted By: hanco Re: DeWalt Cordless Tools? - 11/14/17
I still have 18 volt
18v Milwaukee Fuel and be done with it..

I've got several tool.

A 1/2 impact that has 700 ft/lb torgue - 1100 ft/lb breakout. The new model has 1400 ft/lb breakout! from battery tools!
Posted By: tedthorn Re: DeWalt Cordless Tools? - 11/14/17
Buy American........piss on Dewalt......aka Black & Decker

Piss on Porter Cable as well......aka Black & Decker
Posted By: poboy Re: DeWalt Cordless Tools? - 11/14/17
I'm still using 12volt. When they quit, I'll change.
Originally Posted by tedthorn

Dewalt - USA

says they have 7 US plants....
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: DeWalt Cordless Tools? - 11/14/17

http://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/products-made-in-the-usa
Posted By: fburgtx Re: DeWalt Cordless Tools? - 11/14/17

DeWalt, as far as I know, is the only one that IS made in the USA. Milwaukee, Ryobi, Makita, Hitachi, Porter Cable??? All China (cordless tools)....
Posted By: K1500 Re: DeWalt Cordless Tools? - 11/14/17
Amazon sells generic replacement 18v batteries for around $22 per. They are nimh batts and hold more juice than the old nicad batts, are lighter, and will charge on the old style charger. I just bought 3 and so far so good. Dewalt 18v replacements are $100/2. I just saw they do make a 20v lithium ion to 18v converter with charger. I think you need an adaptor for every tool you want to use (I.e. You are limited by the lesser of the number of batteries and adapters you own). Not a big deal, but as a one man shop I would want at least two adapters as I don't want to switch batteries when I switch tools.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: DeWalt Cordless Tools? - 11/14/17
I used to own Dewalt cordless tools until they refused a warranty on a defective chuck, I've never bought a Dewalt tool again. I have slowly replaced all the Dewalt tools I had.
Posted By: Nebraska Re: DeWalt Cordless Tools? - 11/14/17
I really like my 20V DeWalt tools, and luckily upgraded as the brushless models were coming out. We even use a Dewalt weedeater which is alot smoother and quieter than my previous Echo (Echo still king for HD use). Our most recent purchase was the 60V blower and the 9AH (3AH 60V battery) which just doesn't have the runtime/power we need. If I could do that over, I'd stick with my Weedeater brand gas/oil-mix blower because it was cheap, dependable and powerful.
Posted By: ironbender Re: DeWalt Cordless Tools? - 11/14/17
Everything I've read indicates they are the same except for measuring max volts or nominal volts.
.......................................................................................................................................
20V Max Vs 18V: Running the Numbers

Milwaukee Battery Cutout

Inside your battery pack are the individual battery cells. In an 18V/20V Max system, they are always set in groups of 5 wired in a series. Each group of 5 is then wired in parallel to increase the number of amp hours and overall battery capacity in watt hours. For more on that, check out our feature on Voltage Vs. Amp Hours.

Each one of those battery cells has two voltage ratings – nominal and maximum. The amount of voltage that a battery produces when fully charged is higher than when it begins to discharge, even slightly. It’s actually a chemical characteristic of the lithium-ion system. Each battery cell has a nominal voltage of 3.6 volts and a maximum voltage of just over 4 volts.

3.6 volts (nominal) x 5 cells = 18 volts

4 volts (maximum) x 5 cells = 20 volts

That’s it. That’s the entire difference in 18V vs 20V Max batteries. It’s only a matter of whether the company is using nominal voltage or maximum voltage as their rating.

https://www.protoolreviews.com/news/20v-max-vs-18v-battery-power/17024/

Googlefu will give additional analyses.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: DeWalt Cordless Tools? - 11/14/17
I bust my knuckles enough with the millwakie 18 fuel .....20 = more busted ...count me out
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: DeWalt Cordless Tools? - 11/14/17
I don't use one for every day anymore, so, 18 works for me.
Posted By: Prwlr Re: DeWalt Cordless Tools? - 11/15/17
I really like my Milwaukee 18V . Works well and I like being able to check on the amt of charge left in the battery.
Posted By: kellory Re: DeWalt Cordless Tools? - 11/15/17
I use 18vt dewalt at home, and Milwaukee 20 and 28vt at work. The dewalt are lighter duty. They feel less solid, they die earlier. (The black trop batteries are standard duty, and the yellow top are extended run, and I've bought dozens of them.)
Something I've noticed is that every time t he voltage has risen, the lower voltage units got cheaper. 5.6-9vt-12vt-14.4vt all dropped in price when the higher power units came on the market, but not the 18vt. When the 20s and 28s came out, the 18vt didn't budge in price and has still held fairly well. I believe this is due to the best trade off in weight vs power was the 18s.
However. The newest 20s are pretty light, and the batteries are fast chargers. I expect they will take over the market for a while.

Edit: I would not buy the Dewalts again due to the lighter duty construction. While it does do the job well, I can feel the grips flex under load.
Buy what you like.

But google what all a 18v Milwaukee battery will power.
Posted By: BWalker Re: DeWalt Cordless Tools? - 11/15/17
I recently replaced my Dewalt stuff with Makita brushless. Don't regret it either.

Hilti makes damn good cordless tools as well.
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: DeWalt Cordless Tools? - 11/15/17
Originally Posted by fburgtx

DeWalt, as far as I know, is the only one that IS made in the USA. Milwaukee, Ryobi, Makita, Hitachi, Porter Cable??? All China (cordless tools)....

Yup, is the only made in USA power tool maker left. Sad to say, as my Milwaukee tools wear out, they are getting replaced with Dewalt.
Posted By: las Re: DeWalt Cordless Tools? - 11/15/17
Heck- I'm about to buy a 12 volt battery for my 30 year old Makita this weekend. Batteries Plus in Anchorage is supposed to have the right one.... the original battery finally won't charge anymore. I'll take the old one with me to be sure. It's back-up for the 18 DeWalt now.

Well sort of - Makita is in Kotzebue, DeWalt is in Soldotna. No sense in lugging either one 500 miles back and forth! smile
Instead of buying $200 worth of batteries for my 10 yr old hitachi set, I replaced them last year with 20v dewalt set with 4 batteries for $400 on a big sale. So far I've built 500' of split rail fence and most of a house with them. No complaints, worth every penny so far. Use them almost every day.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: DeWalt Cordless Tools? - 11/15/17
Originally Posted by las
Heck- I'm about to buy a 12 volt battery for my 30 year old Makita this weekend. ..

I have designed a lot of NiCd battery chargers for suppliers to Boeing and Physio Control.
Younger guys are out there now with Lithium Ion [Lithium Iron] designs that are way better.

But the NiCd batteries in my 9.6 Volt Makita lasted for 20 years.
Replacement batteries were no good in 2000, but I guess they are now.

I think the new Dewalt 18V are NiCd and the new Dewalt 20V are Lithium Ion.

If they perfect the Lithium Oxygen battery, say goodbye to the internal combustion engine.
In the meantime the Lithium Iron battery is perfected, so say goodbye to NiCd batteries.

My 18 Volt Dewalt is hanging on by a thread before it goes in the trash.
My 29 Volt Dewalt lasts 5 or 10 times longer on a charge.
Originally Posted by kellory
I use 18vt dewalt at home, and Milwaukee 20 and 28vt at work. The dewalt are lighter duty. They feel less solid, they die earlier. (The black trop batteries are standard duty, and the yellow top are extended run, and I've bought dozens of them.)
Something I've noticed is that every time t he voltage has risen, the lower voltage units got cheaper. 5.6-9vt-12vt-14.4vt all dropped in price when the higher power units came on the market, but not the 18vt. When the 20s and 28s came out, the 18vt didn't budge in price and has still held fairly well. I believe this is due to the best trade off in weight vs power was the 18s.
However. The newest 20s are pretty light, and the batteries are fast chargers. I expect they will take over the market for a while.

Edit: I would not buy the Dewalts again due to the lighter duty construction. While it does do the job well, I can feel the grips flex under load.

There’s no phugking way the best trade off between weight and power is the 18v dewalt.
Posted By: kellory Re: DeWalt Cordless Tools? - 11/15/17
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

There’s no phugking way the best trade off between weight and power is the 18v dewalt.

I didn't say that, now did I? Try reading what I did say, slowly. (YOU can even move your lips, it's allowed)
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: DeWalt Cordless Tools? - 11/16/17
Just bought two generic 18V replacement batteries for my 18V Dewalt drill a couple weeks ago. Past weekend also purchased a new 20V Dewalt drill for work in tight places that the 18V will not fit. New 20v drill and two new 20v batteries cost only slightly more than what two new Dewalt 18V replacement batteries would have cost.
Posted By: K1500 Re: DeWalt Cordless Tools? - 11/16/17
They rip you on the batteries for sure. The generics are pretty cheap. The more tools you have, the worse it is to switch up to the newest system. I have some older 14.4v Porter Cable (pre B&D) sitting on the shelf. Even the generic batteries are almost $50 per. I suppose you can rebuild them yourself cheaper. For the DeWalt stuff it's just easier to buy the generics.

I didn't say that, now did I? Try reading what I did say, slowly. (YOU can even move your lips, it's allowed)

What do you say Then? “ the best trade off in weight vs. power was the 18s”
Posted By: Aqualung Re: DeWalt Cordless Tools? - 11/16/17

My 7+ year old 14.4v Dewalt drill just won't die. I'm still on the original batteries. I did replace the chuck because the original one locked up. I got it as a set with a fluorescent drop light that is also very handy.

I have a Skil 20v that I got from work and one of the batteries is already shot and it's only about a year old.

Aqualung
Posted By: kellory Re: DeWalt Cordless Tools? - 11/21/17

What do you say Then? “ the best trade off in weight vs. power was the 18s”

I've been out hunting, so haven't been here. Sorry for the delay.

What I said referred to the weight of the drills larger than 18vt. They are lighter now, but the first generation of 24's and 28's were pretty heavy. (On all brands) and while they WERE stronger, they were not really needed on most jobs. Not enough for the increase in weight. In each case, the price went down for the lower powered units, (You can buy 9.6vt drill with 2 batteries and a charger now for about $20.00. The tool hasn't changed, but the price dropped considerably, because the demand dropped). But the 18vt units did not drop a dime when the bigger drills hit the market. My 18vt dewalt batteries STILL cost $86.00 each or 2 for $100.00.
I also said I would NOT buy the dewalt drills again, when compared to the others on the market, due to the lighter duty construction. I find the Milwaukee drills better built, and more durable. AT NO POINT did I ever say the dewalt 18's were the best at anything.
Posted By: djs Re: DeWalt Cordless Tools? - 11/21/17
Originally Posted by wabigoon

If it works and does the job, it's not obsolete.
Posted By: rlott Re: DeWalt Cordless Tools? - 11/21/17

Same here. I dropped it putting a tin roof on and the battery split so I gorilla glued it back together. Still works like a champ!
Posted By: Castle_Rock Re: DeWalt Cordless Tools? - 11/21/17
The only real answer to this question is Makita 18 V Li
Posted By: srwshooter Re: DeWalt Cordless Tools? - 11/21/17
if you buy the lowes/home depot specials you get junk batteries with any model. batteries are amp hour rated ,never buy less than a 3.0 ah. cheap drills come with cheap batteries.get a 3.5-5.0ah if you can afford it.
Posted By: doubletap Re: DeWalt Cordless Tools? - 11/21/17
I have the DeWalt 20 volt and the 18v Milwaukee Fuel. The Milwaukee has much more power and the battery lasts longer. It is not even close,
Posted By: JamesJr Re: DeWalt Cordless Tools? - 11/21/17
I have a Dewalt drill and driver, 20 volt batteries. They do everything I want them to do. Much better than the drills I've had in the past.
Posted By: deflave Re: DeWalt Cordless Tools? - 11/21/17
Ryobi for the win.

Just before you're stupid enough to start another project, they stop working.

Travis
Posted By: BWalker Re: DeWalt Cordless Tools? - 11/22/17
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
The only real answer to this question is Makita 18 V Li

This.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: DeWalt Cordless Tools? - 11/22/17
Makita is averaging 5 stars with 100 reviews on Amazon and a 4 Amp Hour battery.
Posted By: kingston Re: DeWalt Cordless Tools? - 11/22/17
Makita LXT
Posted By: kellory Re: DeWalt Cordless Tools? - 11/22/17
Makita has come a long way since my first cordless drill. It was a 4.6vt Makita, with an internal battery you could not remove without tools. It had about a half hour run time, and a 4-6hr charge rate. The charger plugged into the back of the grip.
© 24hourcampfire