Home
Posted By: Fireball2 Caught off guard - 11/17/17
Was moving things around in the garage and almost got hit by the biggest black widow I've ever seen. Was in my fishing bag, the one I throw over my shoulder when I run down to the river. I work around them regularly and it's pretty ho-hum, but this one really surprised me. I imagine if I had thrown that bag over my shoulder and it had got me. Damn. That thing was 1 1/4" -1 1/2" across. Took four chemicals and 10 minutes to kill it.

Nerves are shot. Damn that thing was nasty.
Posted By: 340boy Re: Caught off guard - 11/17/17
I generally don't have an issue with spiders, however, black windows give me the creeps! I'm glad you didn't get bit!
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Caught off guard - 11/17/17
Originally Posted by 340boy
however, black windows give me the creeps!

I don't like them either. Might as well just go with a solid wall.
Posted By: WildWest Re: Caught off guard - 11/17/17
Interesting that most people do not know they have been bitten right away.
This neurotoxic protein is one of the most potent venoms secreted by an animal. Some people are slightly affected by the venom, but others may have a severe response. The first symptom is acute pain at the site of the bite, although there may only be a minimal local reaction. Symptoms usually start within 20 minutes to one hour after the bite.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Caught off guard - 11/17/17
"Four chemicals and ten minutes" to kill a fuggin spider....YGBFKM....
Posted By: Calvin Re: Caught off guard - 11/17/17
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

At least he didn't call his wife to come kill it. Or maybe he did?
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Caught off guard - 11/17/17

7 dust, wasp and hornet spray, wd-40 and Lysol! I didn't want to step on it, I really wanted to make it suffer. Nervous reaction I suppose. Of course I could have killed it quicker.
Hey Calvin, I sure wish I was like you. You're awesome. If you'd have been here, I would have felt so safe. Thank you sir, for being such an inspiration. Thank you. God bless you sir.
Fucque head.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Caught off guard - 11/17/17
Four chemicals and 10 minutes? I just step on them it's easier. Now a brown recluse bring out the salt shotgun!
Posted By: bigfish9684 Re: Caught off guard - 11/17/17
Originally Posted by Calvin

Oregon: State of victimhood. I guess I'll never understand, being a Washingtonian. I never had a problem dispatching a spider. And I don't like them damn things.
Originally Posted by Calvin

Good point,,,that would explain the time delay.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Caught off guard - 11/17/17
[Linked Image]
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: Caught off guard - 11/17/17
Was opening a bag in the closet, saw it before it saw me. When it did, it shriveled up and pretended to be dead. Had some small black ants here that would flatten out and pretend to be dead if you caught them on the counter top.
Originally Posted by Fireball2

PTSD....we're here for ya brotha....
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Caught off guard - 11/17/17
I found one of those neat little jumping spiders on the wall the other day.

I promptly burned the house down.

No, wait. I let him jump onto my finger and observed him for a while.

Spiders are cool.

I have a nasty looking spider living in the corner of my bathroom. I figure for all the chit I have put him through he deserves a pass.......
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Caught off guard - 11/17/17
I flipped over my FIL’s skiff to throw it up on the trailer and there were hundreds of black widows of various sizes and ages, I’d obviously disturbed a secret meeting area for black widow spiders. I called my wife and kids and they thought it was cool but left me to load it up. I figured 80 mph over the pass would blow’em out but just in case I tarped it at home and bug bombed the [bleep] out of it then pressure washed the hell out of it.
Posted By: MickeyD Re: Caught off guard - 11/17/17
Got tagged by one at work about 30 years ago. SEVERE itching at bite site, quarter sized welt and some pretty bad abdominal cramping followed an hour or two later lasting, iirc, for several hours. Other than that not a problem.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Caught off guard - 11/17/17
Landscaper, wet irrigation boxes below ground. See thousands every year. Stick your hands into them a few thousand times and sometimes you forget about them that’s when they can get you also checking your arms to make sure you didn’t pick up any travelers. The trick is to not freak out on the freeway towing a backhoe in rush hour traffic when one goes crawl across your arm and a few times face.
Posted By: Triggernosis Re: Caught off guard - 11/17/17
Originally Posted by FatCity67
. The trick is to not freak out on the freeway towing a backhoe in rush hour traffic when one goes crawl across your arm and a few times face.

Oh fucque the hell outta that!
Posted By: Redneck Re: Caught off guard - 11/17/17
. Took four chemicals and 10 minutes to kill it.

??? You don't wear shoes?
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Caught off guard - 11/17/17
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by 340boy
however, black windows give me the creeps!

I don't like them either. Might as well just go with a solid wall.

Then move here to Australia.

NO wait...that is New Zealand!

Oops, they have them too...guessing you are screwed.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Caught off guard - 11/17/17
Fireball2. -10 man points..... 24hr committee will review time frame to get em back😃😃😃
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Caught off guard - 11/17/17
I see the occasional Black Widow when out in the barn, or greenhouse, or around an old wood pile. But, it's those damn Brown Recluse that I hate. We even have those in the house. I've sprayed, set out glue boards, but about once a year we'll see one. The outbuildings are full of them. and I spray them too. An exterminator told me that they are in every house, and about all that spraying does is just drive them deeper into the woodwork.
Posted By: mdv1state Re: Caught off guard - 11/17/17
those things are faster than they look
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Caught off guard - 11/17/17
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I see the occasional Black Widow when out in the barn, or greenhouse, or around an old wood pile. But, it's those damn Brown Recluse that I hate. We even have those in the house. I've sprayed, set out glue boards, but about once a year we'll see one. The outbuildings are full of them. and I spray them too. An exterminator told me that they are in every house, and about all that spraying does is just drive them deeper into the woodwork.

We have a lot of those dirt dobbers here.

Their mission in life is to kill black widow spiders and eat them.

I tolerate the dirt dobbers better than the black widow spiders.

I spray for insects a few times a year, and don't get too many insects in the house. Once the cross the barrier I spray, they are toast. May find an insect in the house now and again, but usually dead or dying.

Never quite understood being too scared of something you can easily outrun though. Snakes, spiders, mice, etc. If they bother you, stomp on them, or run away. No need to scream like a little girl... laugh
I'm a landscaper as well, and stick my hands into hundreds of valve boxes a year with black widows. Turn over all manner of things with black widows. This one freaked me out good because it was so big, and it would have been right in my armpit if I'd have slung that bag over my shoulder with a tanktop on, like I normally do when I head down to the river. Now I gotta bomb the garage.

To answer some of the posts-

Yes, I had shoes on.

Any of you internet heroes wanna head down I bet we can find another one. Let me cram it in your armpit and you tell me how that works out for you.
I'm a landscaper as well, and stick my hands into hundreds of valve boxes a year with black widows. Turn over all manner of things with black widows. This one freaked me out good because it was so big, and it would have been right in my armpit if I'd have slung that bag over my shoulder with a tanktop on, like I normally do when I head down to the river. Now I gotta bomb the garage.

Yes, I had shoes on.

Any of you internet heroes wanna head down I bet we can find another one. Let me cram it in your armpit and you tell me how that works out for you.

Don't panic, no one in their right mind wants to get fanged by anything.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Caught off guard - 11/17/17
Best Friend and I were Elk hunting in So. Colorado and were taking a mid day nap on a sunny cold windy day. I woke up and had a tarantula crawling on my leg, he had a few on him as well. It was actually Funny as all chitt , asked my buddy if he wanted me to shoot the one off his leg.
Holy fugg!!! - 10 more man points for the tank top. Blade runner on the man card revocation status.... 24hr committee getting a memo prepared😃😃😃
Originally Posted by renegade50
Fireball2. -10 man points..... 24hr committee will review time frame to get em back😃😃😃

Sitting in a river bottom waiting for deer to walk by is a foreign concept to people that live and hunt out west. We actually have to hunt to fill our tag. Maybe you could explain how it works where you're at, where they have bulging man cards.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Caught off guard - 11/17/17

This... smush....
I hunted out west in Colorado, waved a handkerchief at a 4x4 mulie 125yds away he stopped, drilled him 3 times thru the airbags with a peep sighted win 100 .308 furthest deer i ever killed in my life. You need to be careful, your at 0 balance on man card points right now and that 24hr committee is hawking you out dude😃😃😃
Holy fugg!!! - 10 more man points for the tank top. Blade runner on the man card revocation status.... 24hr committee getting a memo prepared😃😃😃

Yeah, because nobody wears tank tops. We leave the wife-beaters to the guys down south.

You're a difficult guy to understand renegade.

Yeah, because nobody wears tank tops. We leave the wife-beaters to the guys down south.

Gawtdamm dude im just fugging with ya.... 😉 but........ the construction worker from the village people wore tank tops also, I don't own any. What color tank tops do you like? Maybe some of the guys on here without aracnophobia can set up a go fund me account for tank tops for you😃 jk....no no no no don't answer that! 0 man card balance points and the 24hr committee hawking you right now , don't answer that!!!!😃😃😃
Posted By: Raeford Re: Caught off guard - 11/17/17

Gawtdamm dude im just fugging with ya.... 😉 but........ the construction worker from the village people wore tank tops also, I don't own any. What color tank tops do you like? Maybe some of the guys on here without aracnophobia can set up a go fund me account for tank tops for you😃 jk....no no no no don't answer that! 0 man card balance points and the 24hr committee hawking you right now , don't answer that!!!!😃😃😃

Did you wear wife beaters in

Sitting in a river bottom waiting for deer to walk by is a foreign concept to people that live and hunt out west. We actually have to hunt to fill our tag. Maybe you could explain how it works where you're at, where they have bulging man cards.

Could you explain what 'actually have to hunt' is. You know, for us lowly easterners.
Glass, spot something , make a move if needed using terrain , make the shot. Be in good physical shape for some possible serious humping. We probably would have to put about 6- 8 clicks of elevation on our rigs for some better distance and play the wind also. Remember us hayseeds that hunt eastern whitetails have it way too easy😃😃😃
Posted By: Mr_TooDogs Re: Caught off guard - 11/17/17
Glass, spot something , make a move if needed using terrain , make the shot. Be in good physical shape for some possible serious humping. We probably would have to put about 6- 8 clicks of elevation on our rigs for some better distance and play the wind also. Remember us hayseeds that hunt eastern whitetails have it way too easy😃😃😃

That "serious humping" kinda like "mounting yer trophy" ???????
Posted By: hookeye Re: Caught off guard - 11/17/17
Only spiders I like are jumping spiders.
Had big barn funnel web dude in rose bed by front door.
Whopper.
I let him be until the ol lady said a medium one got in the house............so the other got the spray.
Lots of orb weavers..............don't like them, but leave them alone unless they set up shop on the house and crap everywhere.
Posted By: JPro Re: Caught off guard - 11/17/17
Are the jumping spiders those little woolly ones with the short legs? They generally amuse me, and I find them all my deerstands. They'll run around and play peekaboo with you. They enjoy driving my 8yr old crazy, and it's a wonder we see anything after a spider shows up. She's about ready to bail out after that.....

Any other spider besides a longlegs or those little woolly buggers, and I'd rather be dealing with a snake. Spiders are the devil.....
Posted By: poboy Re: Caught off guard - 11/17/17
Was one of the chemicals used LSD? grin
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Caught off guard - 11/17/17
Originally Posted by hookeye
Only spiders I like are jumping spiders.
Had big barn funnel web dude in rose bed by front door.
Whopper.
I let him be until the ol lady said a medium one got in the house............so the other got the spray.
Lots of orb weavers..............don't like them, but leave them alone unless they set up shop on the house and crap everywhere.

Gotta love when walking thru overgrown field pheasant hunting and get a giant orb weaver right in the face.
Posted By: rattler Re: Caught off guard - 11/17/17
Black widow venom ain't that bad. Far from some of the most toxic stuff. Damn rare that it kills anymore with modern medicine. When someone dies it's usually cause the heart gives out in response to the pain as a bad bite will force all your skeletal muscles to cramp up all at once. Won't kill you 99.99% but you may spend bout 24 to 36 hours begging someone to kill you but rarely has lasting effects.

Only critter I'm remotely paranoid over is ticks but that took one of the lil [bleep] giving me a nasty bacteria with it's bite.
Posted By: 340boy Re: Caught off guard - 11/17/17
Originally Posted by JPro
Are the jumping spiders those little woolly ones with the short legs? They generally amuse me, and I find them all my deerstands. They'll run around and play peekaboo with you. They enjoy driving my 8yr old crazy, and it's a wonder we see anything after a spider shows up. She's about ready to bail out after that.....

Any other spider besides a longlegs or those little woolly buggers, and I'd rather be dealing with a snake. Spiders are the devil.....

Jumping spiders are cool. They are the only ones I won't go out of my way to kill. I've heard that they also help keep house flies and other insects under control?
Posted By: rattler Re: Caught off guard - 11/17/17
Yeah don't make webs. Had a large one decide to.call my bedroom home at one point, would watch him stalk flies all the time, kept to himself patrolling where the walls and ceiling met. Usually take him 2 hours to make the circuit around if he didn't find anything.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Caught off guard - 11/17/17
Originally Posted by rattler
Black widow venom ain't that bad. Far from some of the most toxic stuff. Damn rare that it kills anymore with modern medicine. When someone dies it's usually cause the heart gives out in response to the pain as a bad bite will force all your skeletal muscles to cramp up all at once. Won't kill you 99.99% but you may spend bout 24 to 36 hours begging someone to kill you but rarely has lasting effects.

Only critter I'm remotely paranoid over is ticks but that took one of the lil [bleep] giving me a nasty bacteria with it's bite.

Hell yeah. That doesnt sound bad at all.

Hey Rattler, glad to see you post again. Hope you are doing ok and stick around more.
Posted By: Bwana_1 Re: Caught off guard - 11/17/17

Who wears tank tops in November in Oregon ?
Posted By: Blacktail308 Re: Caught off guard - 11/18/17
Walmartians
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Caught off guard - 11/18/17
Originally Posted by JamesJr

I found glue boards most effective. I put them against base boards in a dark place.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
[Linked Image]

Who is this?
Posted By: Strick9 Re: Caught off guard - 11/18/17
Parked my truck under a hawthorn bush earlier this year before walking to the stand. Got out, changed into hunting gear and started walking, felt something on my neck, brushed it aside, kept walking. Then I felt it again and kind of swatted/rolled my hand across it and whatever it was scampered up my arm. I saw it wacked it without thinking and slung it on the ground.

Turned out to be a grape sized black widow, the biggest I have ever seen. How it didn't bite my neck or hand I have no clue. Went on to the stand and upon coming back to the truck, right over my door was her ugly mess of a web. WTH she was doing there I have no clue but got quite lucky I reckon.

Yes, I had shoes on.

I’ll stick to deodorant. Thanks
My three year old had a brown recluse crawling on him. He didn’t scream.

He’s a transplant. Nothing funnier than an idiot acting Yankee down south.

I’ve been seriously humping for months. It s cost me two inches in the waist too.
Posted By: BrotherBart Re: Caught off guard - 11/18/17
Took four chemicals and 10 minutes to kill it.

Dude... WTF is wrong with you?
Seriously...It's just a fugg'n bug.
Originally Posted by poboy
Was one of the chemicals used LSD? grin

He’s got PTSD now from the encounter.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Caught off guard - 11/18/17
This has been an entertaining thread.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Caught off guard - 11/18/17
Well, i was going to try and post some pics of my Babe jumping out of the truck the other day and landing by a freaking 4 foot rattler but fuggit. I was driving down the old pipeline toward the Pecos and that sob was hauling ass llike crazy just right near ahead of my drivers tire when i saw it. Now did that sucker go crazy hauling ass because it saw, heard, or felt my truck approaching? Second time ive seen that in my life. Anyone else seen such?
Anyway, i was too close to stop before i was onit so i hit the brakes a bit as it pulled to the left to hit it. I went on a bit so i was passed it before stopping so when my son stepped out he wouldnt be on it. The ground was soft post rain and when son got out it was halling tail for brush by the riggt of way. Son fired at it and i guess a few pellets hit its head and addled it . I got out knowing it was history way behind the truck. Of course Babe bailed to go for quail. Dayom snake was just behind the truck coiled. I guess it had struck and hung to something and rode forward with us. As Babe went behind truck to go with son she was going to run over snake. Dayom. Im hollering at her to get back and shes wondering wtf is wrong with me and watching me and trying to walk over that dayomed rattler. I jumped and bumped her with my gun barrel to keep her off the snake and shes thinking ive gone apeschitt crazy (like ASniper). Dayom. Got my nerves on edge for sure.
Posted By: Fubarski Re: Caught off guard - 11/18/17
Got my nerves on edge too.

To recap:

"Babe"is jgtx's woman;

Nope, wait. Babe is jtx's dog;

Waitaminute, Babe is jtx's woman;

Shat! Babe is jtx's dog.

Post got more twists and turns than a Stephen King novel.
Bump. I had a tiny spider on me yesterday. I didn’t care. I tried to get it off calmly then it disappeared. Who knows?
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Caught off guard - 11/18/17
Found another black widow in appearance, but on a real close, it looked more brown than black. I fogged the garage. Did you know that some foggers specifically exclude brown recluse and black widow spiders? Worked out there this morning on gunstocks.
Found another black widow in appearance, but on a real close, it looked more brown than black. I fogged the garage. Did you know that some foggers specifically exclude brown recluse and black widow spiders? Worked out there this morning on gunstocks.

A hybrid brown widow or black recluse perhaps? Twice as poisonous .
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
[Linked Image]

Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Caught off guard - 11/18/17

Fugg that schitt. Real Westerners ride and pack with horses.

Except for Rock Chuck. He has some kind of silly looking critters he brought up out of Peru, or some foreign place like that.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Caught off guard - 11/19/17
have a small jumping spider living in my laptop. spend half my time chasing it with the cursor .
the things that entertain in the winter! grin
Posted By: ironbender Re: Caught off guard - 11/19/17
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Fugg that schitt. Real Westerners ride and pack with horses.

Except for Rock Chuck. He has some kind of silly looking critters he brought up out of Peru, or some foreign place like that.

Camels, I believe!
© 24hourcampfire