Home
Posted By: redheadmx Low Fence drop tine buck - 11/20/17
Remington 30_06
Posted By: irfubar Re: Low Fence drop tine buck - 11/20/17
Shows like that are the reason I quite watching them. That is so far removed from any reality I have seen in all my years of hunting.
Posted By: lightning Re: Low Fence drop tine buck - 11/20/17
Cabelas says it all.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Low Fence drop tine buck - 11/20/17
Originally Posted by irfubar
Shows like that are the reason I quite watching them. That is so far removed from any reality I have seen in all my years of hunting.

Dunno. We don't have the best genetics at home. But once we quit shooting any deer we saw, and applied some patience and management, we now see 130-140 inch bucks quite often, just out the window or door of the house. Sometimes larger. Heck during the rut my wife won't leave the yard without a handgun, having seen some of the fights that go on for a long time and how stupid the bucks act and how aggressive they can be to people and even vehicles at that time.

Glad he had a good rest, I give him credit for that.

Heck no one saw a feeder either that I could tell. LOL.

The fact that we have to have it all on film and film the kill shot and then show it all over TV, that bothers me personally, but that wouldn't happen if folks didn't watch the stuff.

I"ve no use for hunting shows either, but this one didn't do anything as stupid as most of them actually.

Lol thats a stretch for a drop tine too IMHO. Have had a few of those around the house over the years, always gave em the pass hoping for a legit one that had a long drop, like say 5-6 inches or so. Or more.
Posted By: lightning Re: Low Fence drop tine buck - 11/20/17
Except to continually promote Cabelas.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Low Fence drop tine buck - 11/20/17
I just wish that the people that make a living doing these hunting shows had to do it right smack dab in the middle of a herd of Mennonites. I was lucky enough to take a good deer for our area (see the hunting rifle section), and after I did, every Mennonite in the country claimed to have been after it as well. Don't want to take anything away from the hunter in the video, or for anyone else for that matter, but all deer hunts are not created equal.
Posted By: RJL53 Re: Low Fence drop tine buck - 11/20/17
Not impressed, that's not hunting.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Low Fence drop tine buck - 11/21/17
he was looking for a deer to harvest. Found it, harvested it.

not my cup of tea really, but OTOH if a huge one walks out while I'm drinking coffee in the morning, he won't walk on by if I can help it.

Difference?

Ethics? Heck my ethics at one point said using rifles is like cheating and only a lazy person would use such...

Cabelas, heck I must have turned it off to soon... saw the bag. But don't really pay much attention to advertising anymore. It doesn't work on me.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Low Fence drop tine buck - 11/21/17
Originally Posted by rost495

not my cup of tea really, but OTOH if a huge one walks out while I'm drinking coffee in the morning, he won't walk on by if I can help it.

Difference?

You didn't film it for the benefit of an adoring audience.
Posted By: Rye77 Re: Low Fence drop tine buck - 11/21/17
That was about like picking which chicken you are gonna have Sunday night. Not much to get the ticker going.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Low Fence drop tine buck - 11/21/17
I've never harvested a deer in my life.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Low Fence drop tine buck - 11/21/17
Helluva a "hunt" for sure... LOL!

Could you tell what brand of tennis shoes he was wearing? I couldn't tell and would like to get some like his because he seemed really comfortable at the bench.
Posted By: JPro Re: Low Fence drop tine buck - 11/21/17
My dad has a bench on his front porch and shot a buck there last year. We certainly don't go so far as to call it hunting, but when a rare opportunity arises......
Looks like it was raining...... I feel bad that he had to get out of the truck and get his new shooting bags damp.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Low Fence drop tine buck - 11/21/17
He should have shot a doe and let that one grow.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Low Fence drop tine buck - 11/21/17
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I've never harvested a deer in my life.

Nope! I 'harvest' cotton, rice, and soybeans! I kill bucks!

Backstrap are good!
How can shooting anything fenced in be considered "hunting"?
Posted By: redheadmx Re: Low Fence drop tine buck - 11/22/17
Nice catch on the Cabelas shooting bag. No telling how old that thing is. Im surprised none of you guys mentioned the age of the Jacket he is wearing.
Posted By: arkypete Re: Low Fence drop tine buck - 11/22/17
That's not hunting that's sniping or cropping.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Low Fence drop tine buck - 11/22/17
Originally Posted by OrangeDiablo

That was not a fence that will prevent deer from going or coming, they simply jump over low fencing.
Originally Posted by jwp475

That was not a fence that will prevent deer from going or coming, they simply jump over low fencing.

I agree with that, but we all know that's a high fenced area. I mean, cmom.
I'm certainly thankful that the only person's standards of "hunting" I have to meet is my own.

Some of you silly turds need to push away from the computer and get outdoors.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Low Fence drop tine buck - 11/22/17
Originally Posted by jwp475

I agree with that, but we all know that's a high fenced area. I mean, cmom.

How exactly do we “know” that? I didn’t see a high fence in the video and if there is a high fence then why all of the low fencing?
Made some venison tacos last night that were delicious.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Low Fence drop tine buck - 11/22/17
From the view of a mostly meat, not sport, hunter it looked like perfection; EZ meat for the freezer, nice antlers too boot. If a legal set up in state it occurred then WGAF what someone else does? Looks like a great place. Sorta silly to video it like that but I didn't hear any claims of awesome hunting prowess. Nothing wrong with shooting a buck wearing tenny runners. It ain't like he shot it in the ass then hired someone to find it and bregged about it. LOL

Ohhh, the chit scope mounts is my only complaint.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Low Fence drop tine buck - 11/22/17
I'm going to make post something that some, if not most, of you will take exception to. The majority of hunters who are looking for antlers are not the least bit interested in the meat. Now, with that being said, there are meat hunters who are glad to get a chance at a big buck, and are tickled pink to have a nice set of antlers. I'm not crazy about venison, it's something I can take or leave. Fixed right, it's good. Not done right, and it's not for me. If I'm going to shoot a deer to eat, and I have a bunch of times, I'll pick out a doe. I've ate both bucks and does, and as far as I'm concerned, there is a big difference. I have a local family that asks me to shoot them a deer every year. Sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't. I gave them the old buck I shot this year, and they didn't seem to care that he was an old deer. I like jerky and backstrap, and I've been tempted to shoot a doe for that, but probably won't as the local Mennonites have already killed more than they should have.

My point is that too many hunters have been bitten by the "what will he score" bug, and are far more interested in the B&C score than in how good of eating the deer will be. Used to be, years ago, deer hunters would talk about seeing a "nice" buck, or say they'd seen "ole Moses". Now it's a "150 class", or a "170 class", as they've been watching too many episodes of Buckmasters, or those good looking gals shooting high fence deer on Outdoor Channel.
Pretty rugged hunt. Tough to get in that kind of shape. It takes a lot of dedication.
Posted By: redheadmx Re: Low Fence drop tine buck - 11/23/17
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I'm certainly thankful that the only person's standards of "hunting" I have to meet is my own.

Some of you silly turds need to push away from the computer and get outdoors.

exactly, but I do enjoy all of the comments as I don't realize much of what they point out in the videos I make. I take most of these as compliments due to the fact that someone thinks its a high fence(even if they were joking) and the first few thinking its an actual hunting show considering I am just making home videos and posting them to YouTube. As for the shooting table and rest(we didn't have to track the animal and it was killed quickly as possible). Thanks to all of you my videos get better each and every time.
Originally Posted by ironbender
Pretty rugged hunt. Tough to get in that kind of shape. It takes a lot of dedication.

Says the Alaskan....whadda youse guys know about rugged hunting. 😁

Happy Thanksgiving giving to all of you guys up north in Gods country.
Thanks Ace. Same to y’all.

Rugged hunts? We are avid readers. wink
© 24hourcampfire