Home
Posted By: FishinHank Odds of survival? - 11/23/17
I think science might be gearing up to knock this one outta the park..........

Earth is flat

On Saturday, a limousine driver plans to launch himself on a mile-long flight over the Mojave Desert in a rocket of his own making.

His name is "Mad" Mike Hughes, his steam-powered rocket is built of salvaged metals, his launch pad is repurposed from a used mobile home — and he is confident this will mark the first step toward proving the Earth is flat, after all.

"It's the most interesting story in the world," Hughes told The Associated Press of his jury-rigged quest to overturn more than two millennia of scientific knowledge. And the whole thing is costing him just $20,000, according to the AP. (It goes without saying, but we'll say this anyway: Do not try this at home — or anywhere.)

"I don't believe in science," Hughes added. "I know about aerodynamics and fluid dynamics and how things move through the air, about the certain size of rocket nozzles, and thrust. But that's not science, that's just a formula. There's no difference between science and science fiction."

The plan, as stated, is to send himself 1,800 feet high in the air at a speed of 500 mph before finally pulling out his parachutes — which, one hopes, will not be the same ones he used for another launch in 2014. Hughes, 61, told a flat-Earth community Web show that the flight, which the AP said took him a quarter-mile across Arizona desert, ended when he pulled his parachutes — two of which he said were at least 20 years old at the time and one of which didn't open.

"Yeah, it was a scary moment," he said in the interview, adding that he had to use a walker for several weeks after his landing. "I had never parachuted before."

It was not his first time tinkering with a big hunk of metal, however. Though Hughes may drive limousines for a living, he says he has worked in NASCAR pit crews, and The Washington Post reports he "has been building rockets for years."

Just don't liken the man's entrepreneurial spirit to that of Elon Musk, who "is a giant fraud," according to Hughes. In fact, many notable space explorers came in for Hughes' criticism during the interview, including the "Freemason" NASA astronauts John Glenn and Neil Armstrong. Hughes maintained that all of them have been involved in "the roots of the deception" that the Earth is round.

Now, it must be noted that humans knew the world was round long, long before NASA launched astronauts into space and we saw pictures of our spherical planet from afar. As the BBC points out, Aristotle — a Greek man with no known connections to NASA or Freemasonry — explained how we know back around 350 B.C.:

"Again, our observations of the stars make it evident, not only that the Earth is circular, but also that it is a circle of no great size. For quite a small change of position to south or north causes a manifest alteration of the horizon."

Other famed explorers who have circumnavigated the globe, such as Ferdinand Magellan and Sir Francis Drake, also failed to report observing the sea ice that many flat-Earthers believe marks the ends of our earthly disc.

Still, Hughes converted to the flat-Earth belief recently, shortly after his first fundraising campaign for the rocket earned just $310 of its $150,000 goal. His second campaign, this time posted after his conversion and with the support of the flat-Earth community, succeeded in hitting its $7,875 goal.

"I've been a believer for maybe almost a year. I researched it for several months in between doing everything else — you know, I've still got to make a living and all that kind of stuff, and building this rocket actually eats up a lot of my time," he told the flat-Earth Web show. "But when I'm not doing that, I research things."

And Hughes intends that research to continue well beyond Saturday's launch, which he says he will be streaming online. He envisions the launch as just one step toward eventually getting himself into space, at which point he plans to take a photograph "to prove once and for all this Earth is flat," he told his interviewer.

"This is the king of the deceptions," Hughes said. "Once this domino falls, this is it."
Posted By: ironbender Re: Odds of survival? - 11/23/17
Seems he should be able to find a cheaper way to commit suicide.
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: Odds of survival? - 11/23/17
Originally Posted by ironbender
Seems he should be able to find a cheaper way to commit suicide.

Sure, but if he did something boringly normal like overdosing or shooting himself he wouldn't stand a really good chance of winning a Darwin Award.
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Odds of survival? - 11/23/17
What could go wrong?
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Odds of survival? - 11/23/17
He operates on the theory that God takes care of drunks and IDIOTS!!
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Odds of survival? - 11/23/17
He's got what he was after in the first place......publicity.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Odds of survival? - 11/23/17
He should post here, he'd fit right in.
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Odds of survival? - 11/23/17

Do Not discourage him......I think he is on to something.

I know..I know....someone will say he is ON something.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Odds of survival? - 11/23/17
[Linked Image]
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Odds of survival? - 11/23/17
The gene pool may get rid of another bottom feeder.
Posted By: agazain Re: Odds of survival? - 11/23/17
C-sharp or B-flat. He's on his way to being flat(tened.)
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Odds of survival? - 11/23/17
I know a little bit about rockets. I also know a little bit about flying and opening parachutes at 500 mph.

So I can predict one thing: when he meets earth, he'll be flat.

Posted By: gwrench Re: Odds of survival? - 11/23/17
He says he's a "believer".

If that is so then I doubt he'll run across anything to change his mind.
Posted By: Timberlake Re: Odds of survival? - 11/23/17
I hope this ordeal will be well documented and pictoraly(?) correct. It will be impressive to watch whether, or not, successful.
Posted By: krupp Re: Odds of survival? - 11/23/17
Odds? Slim to none.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Odds of survival? - 11/23/17
[Linked Image]
Posted By: hanco Re: Odds of survival? - 11/23/17
Well....bye
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Odds of survival? - 11/23/17
Hold my beer.......
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Odds of survival? - 11/23/17
There was another one that I met years ago, Brian Walker, from Oregon. He was going to use a peroxide powered rocket. Along the way, he met a Russian chick and decided to get married instead, or so it seems to me.
Posted By: White_Bear Re: Odds of survival? - 11/23/17
I wonder if there is any relation?

http://www.spunk.org/texts/humour/sp001533.html
Posted By: kellory Re: Odds of survival? - 11/23/17
Very old, and debunked.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Odds of survival? - 11/23/17
He’d fit right in around here!
Posted By: GunReader Re: Odds of survival? - 11/23/17
Originally Posted by smokepole

!!! First guffaw of the day! !!!
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Odds of survival? - 11/23/17

I dunno smoke, some of us might seem a little off kilter to him
Posted By: Fubarski Re: Odds of survival? - 11/23/17
Dude somehow lives, he'll be on the fire later, complainin that gravity isn't fair,

and that the fire usta be a place where a guy could build a rocket to prove the earth is flat and nobody'd make fun of him.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Odds of survival? - 11/23/17
Lessons in gravity don't require much of an understanding of math or a belief in scientific methods. I'm betting he'll hit one out of the ballpark.
Posted By: 340boy Re: Odds of survival? - 11/23/17
Originally Posted by FatCity67
[Linked Image]

Wylie E is awesome. I've done my best to model my life after his, at least when it comes to playing with explosives and various kinds of projectiles...
grin
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Odds of survival? - 11/23/17
Well now we know Jeff Obama's real name......"Mad" Mike Hughes.
Posted By: kellory Re: Odds of survival? - 11/23/17
What will be the last thing to pass through his mind, when he hit the parachutes at 500mph? His ass.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Odds of survival? - 11/23/17
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Dude somehow lives, he'll be on the fire later, complainin that gravity isn't fair,

and that the fire usta be a place where a guy could build a rocket to prove the earth is flat and nobody'd make fun of him.
I'm not making fun of him...for the most part. However, if I donate, I want a money back guarantee.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Odds of survival? - 11/23/17
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

I dunno smoke, some of us might seem a little off kilter to him

Well played sir, and a Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!
Posted By: Dryfly24 Re: Odds of survival? - 11/23/17
I don't believe the earth is flat, however I do believe that he soon will be...
Posted By: Owl Re: Odds of survival? - 11/24/17
A "wanna-be" Evil Knivel
Posted By: RichardAustin Re: Odds of survival? - 11/24/17
Am I out of line thinking this guy is from California?
Posted By: bkraft Re: Odds of survival? - 11/24/17
Come on guys, gotta love a boy with a dream.While all you keyboard commandos are sayin what's gonna happen, hell he'll be the first one there.I personally don't think the Earth is flat, but I do hope he walks away from this. God loves lunatics and drunks.
© 24hourcampfire