Home
Posted By: Lonny Pulaski Axe? - 12/17/17
What's a good pulaski axe to keep an eye out for?

Preferably, what name brands are good ones to have in the older stuff?

I have a Collins that I picked up about 20 years ago. No idea if a older Collins is a good one or not.

Whatever I might find, I do plan on using it.

Thanks!
Posted By: BluMtn Re: Pulaski Axe? - 12/17/17
I'll through a little triva out there on the subject of the pulaski. It was invented by a minor named Ed Pulaski who mined just south of Wallace Id. He later became a Forest Ranger.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Pulaski
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Pulaski Axe? - 12/17/17
Looks like Council makes one Lonny.

I don't know any thing about their Pulaski's but I sure like that Boys axe I picked up last year.

If nothing else.....you'll be getting something made in the USA.

http://counciltool.com/shop/municipal-firefighting-tools/3-75-pulaski-axe-fss-version/
Posted By: 1minute Re: Pulaski Axe? - 12/17/17
Sort of a multi-tool that's really not all that great at any specific job. I'd rather use implements (axe, shovel, pick) designed to do a particular job.

Then again, I have carried a Leatherman on my belt for the last 30 years or so.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Pulaski Axe? - 12/17/17
BluMtn,

I watched a PBS show on Ed Pulaski and the big fires in the early part of the 20th century. Very informative.

Charlie.

Thanks for the link! Yeah, I do want a USA made tool.

If I could, i'd like to just find the head to save some money and then have the people form House Handle fix me up with a new handle.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Pulaski Axe? - 12/17/17
Yeah, the council tools are good.

If you are tall and want to dig fire line......get a long handled Pro Hoe, from Rogue Hoe.

A Pulaski is fine if you are a ways under 6 feet.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Pulaski Axe? - 12/17/17
It was invented by a minor named Ed Pulaski who mined just south of Wallace Id.

Was He a young miner? grin miles
Posted By: BluMtn Re: Pulaski Axe? - 12/17/17
Thanks for the catch miles. I hate it when I don't use the correct words, but they slip by every know and then. We ride the Wallace area alot and have been to the site of Pulaski's mine and been on top of Mt. Pulaski.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Pulaski Axe? - 12/17/17
Originally Posted by BluMtn
I'll through a little triva out there on the subject of the pulaski. It was invented by a minor named Ed Pulaski who mined just south of Wallace Id. He later became a Forest Ranger.

It's interesting reading up on that fire. It was an unusually dry summer. Several fires across WA, ID, & MT were burning. Then a severe windstorm blew several fires together and all hell broke loose. It was so big and fast moving that it was impossible to fight. They could only run. They say the smoke could be seen from western NY state and from Denver. It burned 4700 square MILES and killed 87 people. 28 of them were a fire crew that got trapped and they all died.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Pulaski Axe? - 12/18/17
I've seen them by Council and Barco.
Posted By: krupp Re: Pulaski Axe? - 12/18/17
Personally I would look for the older American axes. True Temper, Barco, Collins, Dixie Industries.

The heads are worth their weight in gold and handles are dime a dozen.
Posted By: las Re: Pulaski Axe? - 12/18/17
\
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

It's interesting reading up on that fire. It was an unusually dry summer. Several fires across WA, ID, & MT were burning. Then a severe windstorm blew several fires together and all hell broke loose. It was so big and fast moving that it was impossible to fight. They could only run. They say the smoke could be seen from western NY state and from Denver. It burned 4700 square MILES and killed 87 people. 28 of them were a fire crew that got trapped and they all died.

That fire or another gave St. Joe Forest's Cemetery Ridge it's name. I think it was that 26 crew. Sure do like that country. Spent 2 summers on trail crew there, much of it on several trails leading up to CR, and have a passing familiarity with the pulaski.. wink

Have one in the storage shed right now. Very handy tool when mucking in the dirt and roots. Hate to use a good axe to chop an underground root, but then, that is what a pulaski is designed for, NOT chopping trees or splitting firewood!
Posted By: outahere Re: Pulaski Axe? - 12/18/17
Read "The Big Burn" by Timothy Egan. Story built around Pulaski and his role in the 1910 Fire that spread from Eastern WA through Western MT.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Pulaski Axe? - 12/18/17
Originally Posted by krupp
Personally I would look for the older American axes. True Temper, Barco, Collins, Dixie Industries.

Thanks for throwing some names out. I'll be a'looking.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Pulaski Axe? - 12/18/17
yardsales are your friends, for those old tools. of course you might end up with extra dutch oven and cast iron skillet too!

Sycamore
Posted By: las Re: Pulaski Axe? - 12/18/17
Or, you could work for BLM/FS for a fire season.... smile
Posted By: ironbender Re: Pulaski Axe? - 12/18/17
Originally Posted by las
Or, you could work for BLM/FS for a fire season.... smile

Signing bonus?
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Pulaski Axe? - 12/18/17
I like a Pulaski but the last one I received at a potlatch left a lot to be desired, cheap metal folded like a house of cards
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Pulaski Axe? - 12/18/17
Originally Posted by las
\
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

That fire or another gave St. Joe Forest's Cemetery Ridge it's name. I think it was that 26 crew. Sure do like that country. Spent 2 summers on trail crew there, much of it on several trails leading up to CR, and have a passing familiarity with the pulaski.. wink

Have one in the storage shed right now. Very handy tool when mucking in the dirt and roots. Hate to use a good axe to chop an underground root, but then, that is what a pulaski is designed for, NOT chopping trees or splitting firewood!
When I said that there were 'several' fires burning across 3 states, I was way off. Seems that there were between 1000 and 3000 smaller fires all burning at once. It was a hellacious fire year. Then that storm with hurricane force winds blew a bunch of them together. All that dry fuel combined with the wind turned 3 states into an inferno.
The Big Blowup only lasted a few days before it burned all the available fuel but I don't know how long it took to be completely out.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Pulaski Axe? - 12/18/17

I didn't realize so many makers made Pulaskis.
Posted By: djs Re: Pulaski Axe? - 12/18/17
Originally Posted by rost495

I didn't realize so many makers made Pulaskis.

I didn't realize this either. I used Pulaski's 55+ years ago fighting fires in the West. Great tools. We also got pretty proficient throwing them at targets on trees!
Posted By: JonS Re: Pulaski Axe? - 12/19/17
I love mine! Great tool, cuts, chops, roots, flies and wins bets when thrown. 8 paced and watch it stick for most guys, I paced 7 and never broke a handle and was about 99% proficient at sticking it in trees. Best throw was at a hat I bet a kid I could chop off his bill. Winning was hard, wearing a bill less hat was harder.
Get one and enjoy the ability to cut and root in one tool! Keep em sharp and they'll keep you in work for some time.
Posted By: MallardAddict Re: Pulaski Axe? - 12/19/17
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

If you are tall and want to dig fire line......get a long handled Pro Hoe, from Rogue Hoe.

Absolutely the best answer here for anyone that wants to get serious about it. I spent many summers with a pro hoe in my hands. We were issued the standard crap tools and my first check went to a Pro Hoe and a pair of Whites smoke jumpers.
Posted By: las Re: Pulaski Axe? - 12/19/17
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

I'm 6'0 and the pulaski works fine for me.

But then I think I've spent most of my life bent over..... smile
Posted By: oldpinecricker Re: Pulaski Axe? - 12/19/17
Old True Tempers and the newer Council Tool pulaskis are good tools.

I was just up at the Pulaski trailhead a week ago and this fall I scored tremendous grouse hunting around Cemetary Ridge.
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Pulaski Axe? - 12/19/17
Mine is a True Temper. It's also stamped with us forest service mark. I had a buddy make me a sheath that covers the axe and maddock edges that snaps together in the middle. Fixing to rehaft it with an octagon handle when I get a chance.
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: Pulaski Axe? - 12/19/17
What Krupp said.
We have about six orphan heads here in the logger shop somewhere needing handles. Pulaskis are great for mucking on fires and lines.
Posted By: rjf611 Re: Pulaski Axe? - 12/20/17
Not an expert by any means, but hopefully the video (Wranglerstar) helps you out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHRQ6Hudy30

Another idea from same guy. Rogue Hoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1dA5ppeM7w

Good luck
© 24hourcampfire