Home

Nice looking pistol.
Nice store. Looks like a nice pistol.
My first you tube video.

We’re going to make more. That one was shot in my office. We need some better equipment and a better table! Lots of changes coming....
The manual thumb safety is a deal killer, but I imagine they will be coming out with an S-Pro version.
Yeah....that safety kills it for me as well...love my LC9SPro......would trade my glock 19 for this is it didn't have the safety...
Thanks for posting that! Great job on the video! And y'all's store is nice!
Ruger has come a long way since their first wonder 9, the old P-85. Might have to pick up one for a plinker / truck gun. One things for sure. If Ruger built it you can bet the farm that it will work, and work well!
I have always been a Ruger pitsol fan. There wasn't a lot of love for the old P-Series, but I thought they were great. Ruger has evolved and expanded quite a bit. I'd say that was a solid launch into the You Tube world.
I am left handed and that safety on the wrong side of the gun is a deal breaker for me and I am looking for a 9mm compact. Unless Ruger comes out with a non-safety version, I will probably get a Kahr CW9.
Looks very interesting. It's a little bit thinner and lighter that the Glock 19 and S&W M&P9 2.0 and they are $285 on Gunbroker. Ruger should offer some real competition with the Security 9. As said before though, they will have to come out with a model with no external safety.
Ruger has really lowered the price point on some of their guns. I'm seeing LCP's for $169, etc. Of course, I'm surpised anyone is buying $750-$800 Mini 14's, when you can get an AR for $499 these days...
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Ruger has really lowered the price point on some of their guns. I'm seeing LCP's for $169, etc. Of course, I'm surpised anyone is buying $750-$800 Mini 14's, when you can get an AR for $499 these days...

Different rifles, different missions. And no real direct competition for the mini.
As to the safety, it doesn't engage as easy as a typical thumb safety. It takes a deliberate push upwards to rear of the safety. A simple flip of the thumb in the front or middle won't engage it. To disengage, its just like any other thumb safety -- just a quick flip down. Maybe the safety was designed as such so it wouldn't be easy to accidentally engage? I'm probably the exception, not the norm. I don't care if it has a safety or not. I simply don't use it unless I want to do so. Put one in your hands and try to engage the safety in a typical manner. You'll see what I'm talking about.....

I've not spoken with Ruger about a "pro"model. From a business standpoint it may not be practical to produce. You should see the street price on the Security-9 at $289.99 or less. I really expect them to eat up some market share with this pistol.
Ruger was said to be preparing a sample for the XM17 Modular Handgun System. Then they abandoned development. I wonder if this is it.
What? You didn't spend 5 minutes showing us how to get it out of the box????? 😱

Pistol looks to be a winner. Thanks.
It does look interesting. I'll have to feel one in my hand before I can comment on what I think of it. The grip frame will be all the difference for me.
Originally Posted by FreeMe

Different rifles, different missions. And no real direct competition for the mini.

I think folks who buy a $499 AR want a cheap reliable plinker. People who buy a Mini, for $800, get an EXPENSIVE reliable plinker.

I think folks who buy a $499 AR want a cheap reliable plinker. People who buy a Mini, for $800, get an EXPENSIVE reliable plinker.

I think you don't know as much about them as you think you do. But if it's all about plinking to you, don't worry yourself over it.

I think folks who buy a $499 AR want a cheap reliable plinker. People who buy a Mini, for $800, get an EXPENSIVE, less accurate, reliable plinker.

Fixed it
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

I think folks who buy a $499 AR want a cheap reliable plinker. People who buy a Mini, for $800, get an EXPENSIVE, less accurate, reliable plinker.

Fixed it

And neither do you.
I wouldn't even consider the pistol as currently configured, with the half-assed safety.

I think you don't know as much about them as you think you do. But if it's all about plinking to you, don't worry yourself over it.

WTF is your problem?? I own 3 Mini 14's and 2 Mini 30's, and enough cheap to moderate price AR's, to know that a $499 Smith/Ruger/Bushmaster/Windham AR is a better deal than an $800 Mini 14. Feel free to enlighten me, hot stuff....

WTF is your problem?? I own 3 Mini 14's and 2 Mini 30's, and enough cheap to moderate price AR's, to know that a $499 Smith/Ruger/Bushmaster/Windham AR is a better deal than an $800 Mini 14. Feel free to enlighten me, hot stuff....

Didn't I say you shouldn't worry yourself over it? If you had a need for the mini configuration, and were motivated to look into it, you would find that your assumptions are a bit off. If you have no reason to prefer what makes the mini different, why do you even own one? If that was my position, I'd be rid of 'em.

And it's got class.

[Linked Image]
Didn't I say you shouldn't worry yourself over it? If you had a need for the mini configuration, and were motivated to look into it, you would find that your assumptions are a bit off. If you have no reason to prefer what makes the mini different, why do you even own one? If that was my position, I'd be rid of 'em.

Seeing as how all but one was bought used (all for less than $450, and even the new one was less than $600, bought in hopes that the "new" barrel configuration would greatly improve accuracy), I was content with my purchases. I can "appreciate" the Mini for what it used to be, a semiauto centerfire introduced when the only real alternative was $1000+ Colts, back in the 70's/80's.

Neat looking?? Yes. "Retro"??? Yes. Handy?? Yes. An affordable alternative to an AR (which is why they sold so many in decades past)?? Not anymore.

The only "assumption" I made regarding the Mini, is that it has transitioned from a "cheap" plinker to an "expensive" plinker. Perhaps it is "competitive" with Springfield Armory's M1A's. If YOU somehow "assume" that it is a match grade target rifle, a long range varmint rifle, or a viable modern law enforcement weapon, I'd say there are plenty of folks who'd disagree with you.
My experiences with the Mini-14 are only with older versions. Let's just say I prefer the handling of a Mini-14 over an AR. But accuracy left a great deal to be desired.

I had intended to use it ( a Mini-30) as a brush gun in West Virginia, though I never did. With my charge of H335 and a Speer 125 grain it would put two shots close together but then progressively open up. Doesn't matter, only shots one and maybe two really count deer hunting. Shots 3 and above are really kind of irrelevant.
The only "assumption" I made regarding the Mini, is that it has transitioned from a "cheap" plinker to an "expensive" plinker. Perhaps it is "competitive" with Springfield Armory's M1A's. If YOU somehow "assume" that it is a match grade target rifle, a long range varmint rifle, or a viable modern law enforcement weapon, I'd say there are plenty of folks who'd disagree with you.

Standard French Police Carbine:

[Linked Image]
Man if that was your first attempt, well done Looks like a great store you have there
Sadly, in 2008, the French Government replaced them (after 30 years service) with an offering from H&K, and then deactivated all of them (rendering them non-functional) for sale to the French public as collectors items.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Sadly, in 2008, the French Government replaced them (after 30 years service) with an offering from H&K, and then deactivated all of them (rendering them non-functional) for sale to the French public as collectors items.

Hence, why I included the term "modern" in my post. 😜

PS I'm done hijacking...
Hard for me to think of 1978-2008 as outside of the classification of modern.
As much as I hate to wade into an argument that really isnt even germane to the discussion at hand......I got to.

In all of the patrol rifle schools, qualifications, and inservices I have attended and assisted with that have had a Mini 14 show up....they have failed in some way. Every single time. Even the nastiest, crustiest LESO/1033 M16A1s have proven themselves more reliable and more accurate. Luckily, we haven't seen a Mini in use in a number of years....The proliferation of affordable, reliable AR platform rifles have made them irrelevant for LE use.

As for the pistol...meh. Its yet another example of Ruger centerfire handgun malaise.
The Security 9 looks like a beefed up LCPII but with a safety. I have the LCPII and it has been a good little pistol for me but I did do one upgrade based on problems I read about the regular LCP. I replaced the take-down pin with a beefed up (harder) and better designed Tandemkross pin. A very common complaint of the LCP was that the take-down pin would sometimes shear or fail to be retained by the little spring that holds it in place, with the result of the pin flying out and the slide/barrel ending up on the ground. Since the Security Nine has the same pin take-down system, I would be very suspicious of it until extensive real experience shows that it is tough/secure enough. While Ruger customer service is legendary, their engineering and QC has been suspect of late.

As such, I still would much prefer the S&W M&P or Glock pistols to this new pistol. You're not going to worry about the Smith or Glock leaving you looking at your slide on ground and hunting around on your hands and knees for that pin. The Smith and Glock are time tested. The M&P Shield that I have has the external safety and that does not bother me at all. If you don't like them, don't engage it. You're not going to accidentally engage them, especially if you use a holster that covers that part of the pistol, as all mine do. I've never had it accidentally engage. I have purposely engaged it while handling it at the range for an extra margin of safety. There has also been cases where when holstering a Glock they have accidentally fired when part of your clothing (like those springy buttons on adjustable draw strings) has gotten caught in the trigger guard while holstering the pistol. With an external safety, one can engage the safety, start holstering the pistol and then take the safety off just before it is fully inserted into the holster. This is something I typically do, especially when wearing bulky layers of clothing. Anything I can do to prevent an AD/ND is worth that little effort.
Engage the safety when when you holster, then disengage after its holstered? Really?

As afraid of guns as many people are, its astonishing folks still carry them.
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Engage the safety when when you holster, then disengage after its holstered? Really?

He's an idiot
Originally Posted by Steelhead

He's an idiot

I was leaning that way, but I am trying to be a nicer [bleep].
So trying to be as safe as possible makes me an idiot. A friend of mine is a now retired LEO and was an armorer and shooting instructor for his agency. One of their officers experienced the actual scenario I outlined. The drawstring tensioner on a windbreaker got into the trigger guard and his Glock fired causing injury. They then changed their holstering procedure from holstering without looking at your holster to making sure they cleared their clothing and looked their pistol into the holster. Since my Shield has a safety, I feel it is safer to do it the way I described. How does that make me an idiot? As to being afraid of guns, hardly. Exercising as much safety measures as possible is the smart thing to do. You do it however you want. Ok?

As for the pistol...meh. Its yet another example of Ruger centerfire handgun malaise.

To the point that they used a recycled , regurgitated old name , "Security"

Reminds me of S&W , probably 90% of their stuff has the M&P moniker hung on it to the point where it's meaningless

Mike
The name has little to do with it.
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
As to the safety, it doesn't engage as easy as a typical thumb safety. It takes a deliberate push upwards to rear of the safety. A simple flip of the thumb in the front or middle won't engage it. To disengage, its just like any other thumb safety -- just a quick flip down. Maybe the safety was designed as such so it wouldn't be easy to accidentally engage? I'm probably the exception, not the norm. I don't care if it has a safety or not. I simply don't use it unless I want to do so. Put one in your hands and try to engage the safety in a typical manner. You'll see what I'm talking about.....

I've not spoken with Ruger about a "pro"model. From a business standpoint it may not be practical to produce. You should see the street price on the Security-9 at $289.99 or less. I really expect them to eat up some market share with this pistol.

The safety is not an issue for me. I've been flipping off the safety on 1911's for 40 years. It's second nature too me, and it happens without me having to think about it, I've also been running a Glock for 25 years, and have no issue switching back and forth between the two. And have probably run at least 100,000 rounds through both after shooting IPSC for years.

The big draw to me of the new Security Nine is the price. And the fact that it's a Ruger. It will be mainly used as a plinker for me, and in the training of some of my Concealed Carry students.

Shortactionsmoker, does the Security Nine use any of the previous Ruger 9mm magazines?
I tried to like Mini 14's way back, not too long ago too.
Didn't happen.
Am NOT an AR15 fan.........but AR work better and feel better to me too.

Like the guy said upstream.............Mini 14 market..........who's buying?

As for thumb safeties..........don't bother me at all.
No issues for the last 30 yrs on P35 or 1911.
I do however refuse to own any gun that has one that works in opposite direction.
An affordable alternative to an AR (which is why they sold so many in decades past)?? Not anymore.

I never said or implied any of the above. The mini is in no way a direct competitor to the AR. As for the assumptions, yours are not so much about the accuracy or reliability (although that's an issue with more to the story) as they are about the people who buy them.

Back to the OP.

Ruger has been guilty of employing customers as beta testers, of late (I guess "employing" would actually imply some payment. More like "volunteering" in this case) . I have no intention of filling that role. But if or when the S9 demonstrates reliability on par with the Glock or M&P line, they may be on to something, and I'll have to give it a look.
I haven't even seen, let alone handle this gun. But I do have experience with the LC9s and SR9C pistols. Unlike Glocks or most other striker fired pistols both of these have very light short trigger pulls. Actually lighter than most out of the box 1911's. I wouldn't want one with a trigger this light without a safety anymore than I'd want to carry a 1911 cocked and locked with no safety. And I'm familiar enough with 1911's that the safety doesn't bother me. If it does, just don't use it.
Excellant video.I personally only own pistols with a thumb safety on them.I wonder if they will make one in a 40?
Thank gawd, when it comes to firearms, there's something for everyone, from a variety of manufacturers. We all have our opinions on what constitutes a great handgun or rifle. In my opinion, Ruger should have stuck to single action revolvers in their handgun line up. Ive yet to handle and shoot a DA revolver or one of their pistols that feel and operate correct to me. They look cheaply made, bulky, clunky, heavily cast with poor hand feel, but do have a reliable reputation to function well
As for their rifle line up, I believe they should have stuck with #1s', M77s' and the mini 14 and all would be good.
The DA revolvers I own, are S&W pre lock, simply the best, and not just my opinion. Any knowledgeable revolver shooter, either competitive or defensive user would agree. I simply would not own or use a Ruger pistol, although I can understand their draw for casual shooters with thrift in mind and the ability to get out and plink, without dropping a lot of cash for another brand. Their SA revolvers are terrific, Ive owned and used a bunch over the years, top notch in my book.
Originally Posted by Huntz
Excellant video.I personally only own pistols with a thumb safety on them.I wonder if they will make one in a 40?

Careful Huntz, you just might get called an idiot for actually using a safety. When Steely called me that, it took me days to stop - - - laughing.
Originally Posted by cooper57m

Careful Huntz, you just might get called an idiot for actually using a safety. When Steely called me that, it took me days to stop - - - laughing.

I bet your parents are still laughing, you liberal PIECE OF SHIET
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by cooper57m

I bet your parents are still laughing, you liberal PIECE OF SHIET

laugh
This pistol is similar to a full-grown lcp II ,,,? So I take it it's not a striker-fired pistol it's kind of like a modified Hammer system? As for a safety on pistols I've got both some with safety some without. I have no problems with a pistol with a safety either don't use it or get used to using it either way. Now I have to safety can be easily bumped in engaged during fire that is not good or if it's way too hard to disengage when you want to fire that's not good either.
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I wouldn't even consider the pistol as currently configured, with the half-assed safety.

Nobody really gives a schit what you'd consider

Trystan
You going to call Billy a “child molester” to?

Funny how he (Goat) and I can disagree on all kinds of stuff here for about the last 10 years.... we call BS on each other... we do business with other... we make fun of each other a little... he’ll, even troll each other a bit, etc. Yet.... no one calls anyone a child molester, or gets all bitch-pissy about it.

Go back to 24hourmallninja.com.... or wherever the hell you came from Trystan. You’re a piece of schitt poser, everyone here knows it, no one believes a word outta your mouth.... and there’s about four dozen guys here who will have to get in line behind me to slap the schitt outta you if you ever turn up anywhere. Probably a reason no one on here can vouch for anything you say, or “who” you are.
© 24hourcampfire