Home
Looks like a 4.7, so nothing big, but hoping everyone's ok.
Dilly Dilly.
Full moon. AND on Wednesday, the Earth was a perihelion (closest point) to the sun, causing maximum tidal pull effects. Gotta expect the crust to buckle and shift under those conditions.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Full moon. AND on Wednesday, the Earth was a perihelion (closest point) to the sun, causing maximum tidal pull effects. Gotta expect the crust to buckle and shift under those conditions.

Really?
The MSM will probably blame climate change for it.

The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

Excellent point Rocky, but please be careful about inserting facts into any discussion.
Some people can't handle the truth. smirk
Actually, the sky is PULLING.

It's my long-standing theory that solar/lunar tidal effects cause earthquakes and volcanoes. It has been common knowledge for centuries that the moon and sun cause ocean tides, and that the effect changes with the phase of the moon. Full and new moons create higher tides than at other times. The sun, though farther away, has the same effect.

It is not unreasonable to assume that if tides can pull trillions of tons of water up by many feet, there is an equal pull (if not result) on the Earth's crust. Any small movement in the crust can result in earthquakes and volcanic activity.
and here i thought this would be a boob thread
and here i thought this would be a boob thread
What do you know. I just read that Mount St Helens is rumbling. 4X the expected number of jiggles.

Another data point for my theory.

It wasn't a boob thread until a couple minutes ago, and then one showed up.
If somehow all the decent people in California could get east of the San Andreas line for a day. Then let that chithole rock and roll into the pacific.....
Woke up to a pucker factor of 10 at 2:40 this morning. No damage and the animals were calm and asleep. Reported to be 3 miles from Berkeley, about the same distance as my home.
Woke me up too.. decent little jolt but nothing too serious
Dad grew up in KY. Served in the USN in the Pacific during WW II. Took a job in a machine shop in LA for a while before returning home to KY. He experienced multiple tremblers that had the suspended shop lights swaying from side to side. Local guys in the shop just laughed while he stood there wide eyed watching everything shake and swing...

It's my long-standing theory that solar/lunar tidal effects cause earthquakes and volcanoes. It has been common knowledge for centuries that the moon and sun cause ocean tides, and that the effect changes with the phase of the moon. Full and new moons create higher tides than at other times. The sun, though farther away, has the same effect.

It is not unreasonable to assume that if tides can pull trillions of tons of water up by many feet, there is an equal pull (if not result) on the Earth's crust. Any small movement in the crust can result in earthquakes and volcanic activity.

I agree with your hypothesis, With the Earth's crust effectively "floating" on a semi solid (or would that be semi liquid?) mantle, tidal forces would naturally have an effect on crust movement.

Additionally, a full moon that was at perigee for the year.
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Dad grew up in KY. Served in the USN in the Pacific during WW II. Took a job in a machine shop in LA for a while before returning home to KY. He experienced multiple tremblers that had the suspended shop lights swaying from side to side. Local guys in the shop just laughed while he stood there wide eyed watching everything shake and swing...

Very minor point, from one that grew up with quakes... a little shaking is called a "temblor" not a trembler.
In 2016 ( latest stats) there was over 1700 earthquakes 5 or above, this one was in the 4's, purtty much normal activity.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by persiandog
[Linked Image]

Oh my!!!
"A whole lot of SHAKIN' going on"
Originally Posted by persiandog
[Linked Image]

God bless her😁
[Linked Image]
That’s SOME jiggles😀
Thats hard to stop watching!
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Very minor point, from one that grew up with quakes... a little shaking is called a "temblor" not a trembler.

Yeah well. Some temblors have made me tremble.
I'd say the first one was 5.8-6.2 and the second a 4.0 on the richter scale. Finally a thread that came around....

Thanks persiandog

DMc : )
Richter scale is no longer used.
Originally Posted by ironbender

Yeah well. Some temblors have made me tremble.

A couple of the shakers on this thread make me tremble...

Yeah, I knew it wasn't quire right... But close enough for a kid from KY... smile
[Linked Image]
Whole lot of shaking going on.
Originally Posted by m_stevenson

I agree with your hypothesis, With the Earth's crust effectively "floating" on a semi solid (or would that be semi liquid?) mantle, tidal forces would naturally have an effect on crust movement.

Yep...and remember, any time water hits that hot rock, additional pressures build....
© 24hourcampfire