Home
What a pain in the ass.

Anyone else here have to deal with it?
No, and I hope I never will!
That's exactly why I don't do anything financial related online. My bank tried to exact a charge from us geezers to receive a paper statement per month. I went in and raised holy hell and threatened to abandon their services. They backed off, and others followed.

Hope you're able to clear it up relatively painlessly.
Hope you get it resolved, sorry you had to deal with it.
wells fargo? whats your password?
Sal sorry to hear that, can't imagine finding out you $1.00. I don't know this will fix your problem but I run two computers. The one I do banking and bill paying gets unplugged from internet and electricity immediately after use and computer number two is for web browsing.
Posted By: BWS Re: Got my online banking hacked. - 01/20/18
CC # stolen a cpl times....it sucks.Hope everything works out for you.
I hate a thief!
Posted By: EdM Re: Got my online banking hacked. - 01/20/18
Sometimes annually but at least every couple years. Chase has caught them all pronto but, agree, a PITA as we have to reset all of our accounts from which we pay with the new card.
Got a card hacked Dec.17.

It does suck having to change stuff up.
Posted By: Spud Re: Got my online banking hacked. - 01/20/18
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Sal sorry to hear that, can't imagine finding out you $1.00. I don't know this will fix your problem but I run two computers. The one I do banking and bill paying gets unplugged from internet and electricity immediately after use and computer number two is for web browsing.
Same for us except we have three: one for banking; another laptop for my wife to browse on, and the PC for me to waste time here.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
No, and I hope I never will!

This.
Posted By: add Re: Got my online banking hacked. - 01/20/18
Originally Posted by littlecmonkey
That's exactly why I don't do anything financial related online.

+ 1

[Linked Image]
Earlier this month while on line with Quicken help! My wife's laptop screen went black and came back on, gift cards from Amazon were being purchased! She said what the hell is happening, I grabbed her lap top and pulled the battery! Called and stopped the purchases! Two weeks hassle! Changed all passwords, new routing numbers, cancelled all cards! The biggest problem was time taken to do everything! On hold with Social Security over an hour, ten minutes to fix! If I could get them in my sights I would remove a thief from this world!
Originally Posted by littlecmonkey
That's exactly why I don't do anything financial related online. My bank tried to exact a charge from us geezers to receive a paper statement per month. I went in and raised holy hell and threatened to abandon their services. They backed off, and others followed.

Hope you're able to clear it up relatively painlessly.

Ditto
Don’t bank on line and never will
VPN services are your friend!
Originally Posted by Salmonella
What a pain in the ass.

Anyone else here have to deal with it?

No but I worry about it. Any idea how it happened?

Jerry

From what I've read many, many folks personal financial information may have unknown to them already been stolen for no telling how long and listed for sale on the "Dark Web" along with countless thousands of other's info. Only reason it has not been exploited yet is because it hasn't been bought.

My bank alerted me to money being siphoned into newly created accounts with unknown phone number and emal attachments.
They caught it before the money could be withdrawn.
Had to change all accounts and cards...PIA.
They suggest I sign up for LifeLock.
My bank alerted me to money being siphoned into newly created accounts with unknown phone number and emal attachments.

What bank?

Having your account hijacked is part of doing financial business online.

As a long time banker I always suggest to customers they do not bank online.
Originally Posted by Heym06
Earlier this month while on line with Quicken help! My wife's laptop screen went black and came back on, gift cards from Amazon were being purchased! She said what the hell is happening, I grabbed her lap top and pulled the battery! Called and stopped the purchases! Two weeks hassle! Changed all passwords, new routing numbers, cancelled all cards! The biggest problem was time taken to do everything! On hold with Social Security over an hour, ten minutes to fix! If I could get them in my sights I would remove a thief from this world!

New routing numbers?
I bank online all the time. I use apps to keep track on my phone. Probably just a matter of time. I have accounts with several different banks, with lines of credit and credit cards with them. I suppose if one goes down, I can keep operating with the other.
Originally Posted by joken2

From what I've read many, many folks personal financial information may have unknown to them already been stolen for no telling how long and listed for sale on the "Dark Web" along with countless thousands of other's info. Only reason it has not been exploited yet is because it hasn't been bought.

You mean this http://fortune.com/2017/12/22/experian-data-breach-alteryx-amazon-equifax/
Sal, I feel for you. What a mess.

No online banking or financial accounts for me. Our banks and retirement account pressure us to deal with them online. We refuse.

Their man tells me that their security cannot be hacked. I smile and mention recent online security breaches and say, “If it is not online, it can't be hacked.”

Sooner or later they will force us to bank online but for now, not a chance that I will put any financial info online.

We've had credit cards stolen twice, detected within hours and though it was an inconvenience, we cancelled cards and did without credit cards for a few days until they were replaced. On one of them, our credit card company phoned us at our home in Canada to ask if we were in Los Angeles and buying a thousand dollars worth of stuff in a particular store. No, we were not. The thief was standing at the store counter at that moment.

Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by joken2

You mean this http://fortune.com/2017/12/22/experian-data-breach-alteryx-amazon-equifax/

https://www.cnet.com/uk/news/the-price-of-your-identity-in-the-dark-web-no-more-than-a-dollar/

"Your identity is sold for $1 in the Dark Web

If you or your company is a victim of a cyberattack, where does this stolen data go, and to what purpose?

by
Charlie Osborne

23 September 2015 1:20 pm BST"

... But what happens to this data afterwards can often be lost in the news. While sensitive, stolen information used in identity theft can cause heartache for victims, for those who trade in this data, personal information can be sold at a pittance. Unintended disclosure, through mistakes or negligence, is also a reported reason for information to end up in the wrong hands.

Payment service providers are a hot target for hackers these days, with an increase in card-related data breach reports of 169 percent over the past five years. Cybercriminals can steal data through card skimming, making a rub off cards, rigging ATMs with skimmer devices or cameras and modifying point-of-sale (PoS) terminals. Interestingly, hardware keyloggers installed on cash registers have also entered as a data theft tactic.

The healthcare industry is now the most affected by data breaches, followed by government, retail and the education sectors, according to Trend Micro's findings.

Trend Micro says personally identifiable information (PII) is the most commonly stolen record type, followed by valuable financial data. Aside from the usual card details and bank accounts, Uber, PayPal and online gaming accounts are also bartered in the Dark Web.

Burrowing into the Dark Web -- a small area of the Deep Web which is not accessible unless via the Tor Onion network -- stolen data for sale is easy to find. Accounts belonging to US mobile operators can be purchased for as little as $14 each, while compromised eBay, PayPal, Facebook, Netflix, Amazon and Uber accounts are also for sale. PayPal and eBay accounts which have a few months or years of transaction history can be sold for up to $300 each.

According to the firm, compromised Uber accounts are in high demand in the underground -- as they can be fraudulently charged and give users free rides.

Bank account details, naturally, are offered for a steeper price of between $200 and $500 per account -- the higher the available balance, the more they are sold for.

Card information is sold to anyone willing to pay for the data. While price brackets vary depending on supply and demand, validation and how much can be stolen from them before deactivation, buying in bulk reduces unit price -- and some sellers insist upon sales in this format, which in turn suggests the data has been acquired as a result of a large-scale cyberattack. Credit cards from every continent can be purchased, but cards which are not from the US tend to fetch higher prices than those registered to United States addresses.

When it comes to PII, sales are conducted on a per-line basis of approximately $1. Each line of data contains a name, a full address, a date of birth, a Social Security number, and other personally identifiable information. If someone buys just a few lines, they can commit serious identity fraud. Trend Micro says this data used to go for $4 a line, but as so many data breaches have occurred in recent times, supply has increased and demand dwindled.

However, if someone really wants the skinny on a potential victim, full credit reports can be purchased for $25 a go. In addition, document scans of passports, driver's licenses and utility bills, among others, are available for purchase from $10 to $35 per document.

Trend Micro says:

"Any business or organization that processes and/or stores sensitive data is a potential breach target. In today's interconnected world, data breach prevention strategies should be considered an integral part of daily business operations. Ultimately, no defense is impregnable against determined adversaries. The key principle of defense is to assume compromise and take countermeasures..

My wife got us LifeLocked some years ago and I’d recommend it not that anything in this techy, impersonal world is foolproof.

Nearest incidences we’ve experienced were my Cabelas black card pinged on several occasions including a $1k charge in the Philippines right after our Africa trip and then some smaller charges made against the card here in the US. Cabelas’ bank monitors those things like a cat watching a fish bowl and caught all of them up front — outstanding service IMO.
© 24hourcampfire