Home
Posted By: trx680 Who we got from VIRGINIA ??? - 01/24/18
Just wondering who here is from Virginia.

I'm down south west of Petersburg..
I'm Christiansburg[mom hailed from Suffolk and have family in Franklin[city]
Roanoke
Near Winchester
Posted By: JMUPT Re: Who we got from VIRGINIA ??? - 01/24/18
Near Harrisonburg
I'm in Bon Air, south side for Richmond
Raphine
the big town of grottoes, in the valley . 1 mile from the Shenandoah national park.
Chesapeake
Bath County
Originally Posted by Bperdue21
Bath County

Lucky bastard...
Originally Posted by KSMITH
Bath County

Lucky bastard...

How’s that lol?
Bath co is far from everywhere!

Tidewater, here for the past 7 years.....
Originally Posted by KSMITH
Bath County

Lucky bastard...

How’s that lol?

I'll make you a deal, let's trade homes for a month and I'll go live in the mountains and you can live in this crap down here. But hey, you will be close to the beach with all the other buttholes.
Chesterfield, at Pocahontas State Park.
I guess i do have about 16k acres of national forest within a 5 minute walk of my house. Few job opportunities though.
Posted By: BWS Re: Who we got from VIRGINIA ??? - 01/25/18
Bedford co.

We go to a bow shoot a cple times a year in your(OP) neighborhood.Dixie Bowmen,Prince George.Kinda flat,but really good folks.Always good eats.Saturday is traditional (that's we-uns),Sunday is for the compound guys N gals.
Ridgeway here. Right on the VA/NC state line.
West of Harrisonburg in the Shenandoah Valley
Gainesville
Albermarle County
Well, this USED to be Virginia.

A mile and a half from here it still is.
Stafford
Well I live in Oregon....

but I think most of you boys mentioned most of the places that many of my relatives
live...

17th generation Virginian....military dependent but pretty much grew up with that as our home state...

graduated high school in 1970 from West Springfield High, Fairfax County...

left and went to college in New England... then the military for a while...

when it came time to go home, home wasn't the Virginia I grew up in... certainly
not Fairfax County...

family roots are pretty much up and down the Shenandoah Valley...from
Winchester to Bristol... plus across the WVa state line... but back when it was still VA..

Raleigh, Greenbriar, Monroe and Mercer Counties...WVa

Roanoke Christianburg, Blacksburg, Wytheville area of VA is where most of the family still hangs their
hats...

Left VA for college, the population was 4 million folks.. now its buzzing 11 million as I hear and saw
the last time I was back there last year....

not only a bunch of transplanted Yankee types.. where in the hell did all of those foreigners come from???

I miss what was a wonderful state, and still is in spots....but they are getting invaded also by all of the
transplants....

I live out here and put up with the Left Coast wacko-ness... for the mountains and open spaces....
and being on the coast...

hell I knew the invasion is in full swing, when I witnessed a Porsche with West Virginia plates
in Monroe County, driven by some guy from India... was told he owned a local 7 11 or two...

there goes the neighborhood...
I'm from Virginia. Left Culpeper in 1966, and only been back for reunions. Was in Burke's Garden until about age 6.
Posted By: hanco Re: Who we got from VIRGINIA ??? - 01/25/18
Montgomery county
Originally Posted by trx680
Just wondering who here is from Virginia.

I'm down south west of Petersburg..

Some of my roots go pretty deep in Virginia. Mom was born and raised there. Her mom and dad moved to Danville, VA, back in the Nineteen-Teens or early Twenties from Northern Georgia, up in the Blue Ridge Mountains region where they both had deep family roots. The house my mom grew up in is still owned by family (her sister's children - my cousins - still jointly own it).
Amherst county
Originally Posted by hanco
Montgomery county

HUH?
Posted By: hanco Re: Who we got from VIRGINIA ??? - 01/25/18
I was wondering!!
Wondering...wandering....
Been in Montgomery County for 51 of my 53 years
Posted By: rnr Re: Who we got from VIRGINIA ??? - 01/25/18
Rockbridge and Carroll counties
Shenandoah valley south of Winchester here as well. Bounced around most of NOVA for the last 30 years or so with a brief few years in Blacksburg.
Rockingham Co. First relative in America arrived in Nov. of 1776, he's buried in Pendleton co. VA., Now W.Va. in fort Seybert.
Hessian that was convinced to switch sides with a land grant if the story's correct. So roughly 10th generation Virginian.
my family circa 1770 or so ended up i think mainly in the montgomery area, on the run from the british and a sedition order against a member that didn't get along with the british. Suppose to be a place within a few minutes of roanoke called weddle's mountain, and a cemetary full of them. there are still extended members with the same last name living in the area.
Born in Radford, grew up on Claytor Lake. Graduated from Radford University. Living in Charlotte now but bought a place in Carrol County to retire to. Haven't lived there in 17 years but still call Va home. The mountainous part. Don't know anything about NOVA or Tidewater. Don't think it should be considered Va.
From VA originally but moved away in 1992. Might move back one of these days. Went to school in Harrisonburg and spent a lot of time west and southwest of there, screwing around, hunting and fishing in the mtns. Been back a few times to hunt and visit, our youngest went to VA Tech and met a girl from Pulaski so we'll have relatives there soon.
Originally Posted by smokepole
From VA originally but moved away in 1992. Might move back one of these days. Went to school in Harrisonburg and spent a lot of time west and southwest of there, screwing around, hunting and fishing in the mtns. Been back a few times to hunt and visit, our youngest went to VA Tech and met a girl from Pulaski so we'll have relatives there soon.

Went to Pulaski County High School. Might know her
The Wades. I think her grandpa was mayor at one time.
Wades grocery store use to be the only grocery store in Dublin until Walmart moved in.
Posted By: prm Re: Who we got from VIRGINIA ??? - 01/29/18
Northern Virginia, Haymarket/Aldie area. Just barely outside the loony bin of the DC metro area.
It's really only Fairfax, Arlington, Alexandria and possibly Prince William that reflect badly on NOVA.
Posted By: prm Re: Who we got from VIRGINIA ??? - 01/29/18
I'm in the corner of PW, Loudoun and Fauquier.
Originally Posted by Bobmar
It's really only Fairfax, Arlington, Alexandria and possibly Prince William that reflect badly on NOVA.

But its enough to make the entire state vote blue. All the good country folk on the other end of the state have a useless vote.
What Virginia has become since I graduated high school, just makes me cry....

but just about anywhere in the country is ruined in today's world, compared to what many
of us remember.. who are in our 50s and 60s...

I haven't lived in Va for 48 years now..but its still always been and always will be my home state..

17th generation and a pride in your family history and the history of the place where you are from
will do that to you...

makes me wonder how many of Virginia native campfire members I might be distantly related to...
a lot of places mentioned I have family roots in...

especially if anyone has a last name of Meadows or Lilly.. or knows any.. I'd be related to them..

Meadows and Lillys both go back to before the Mayflower Showed up at Plymouth Rock..
both family roots were within Virginia before 1620....

have ancestors who where there early, and had LOTS of kids...
Originally Posted by blairvt

But its enough to make the entire state vote blue. All the good country folk on the other end of the state have a useless vote.

That's not exactly true. My inlaws in Roanoke always have and always will vote for the Democrat. It started with Roosevelt and they just can't accept that their party isn't what it was and that it's no longer "looking out for the working man".
Originally Posted by blairvt

That's not exactly true. My inlaws in Roanoke always have and always will vote for the Democrat. It started with Roosevelt and they just can't accept that their party isn't what it was and that it's no longer "looking out for the working man".

I saw a map of Obama's last election. 90% of the state was red, but the blue in NOVA and Tidewater was enough to make it for Obama. Not sure with the last election how much was red, but still went for Hillary.
I know having that idiot Kaine helped her cause. I'm thankful every day that he isn't the Vice President.
Posted By: BWS Re: Who we got from VIRGINIA ??? - 01/29/18
Just sayin,once again Virginia is going to be "the" battleground.This time,scum sucking libs vs "not".All I can say is,bring it....our banjo's are in perfect tune,and just cause we talk slow it,don't mean chit!
Smyth County here.
Wythe County
Originally Posted by smokepole

Harrisonburg high or JMU? What years?
JMU. When I started it was still Madison College, 1976.
Originally Posted by Holston
Smyth County here.

Graduated from MSHS.
Originally Posted by VAhuntr
Smyth County here.

Graduated from MSHS.

Northwood here...'03.
Originally Posted by VAhuntr
Smyth County here.

Graduated from MSHS.

Northwood here...'03.

1986 for me.
Posted By: ewms Re: Who we got from VIRGINIA ??? - 10/31/18
Born and raised in Henry County, got married and can't get out of Fairfax County.
This is like a reunion!

Got two sisters that went to college in VA!
Posted By: WVGuy Re: Who we got from VIRGINIA ??? - 10/31/18
I am from the very northern tip of Virginia. Spent about half my life west of here in eastern West Virginia. I was able to live ther an$ raise my family. What used to be a rural, farming area is now mostly developments.
Prince William County
Posted By: prm Re: Who we got from VIRGINIA ??? - 10/31/18
Haymarket
Brother moved from Vermont to Warrenton VA for work about 10 years ago. Says he likes it..........he can have the traffic.
Craig
Posted By: AK416 Re: Who we got from VIRGINIA ??? - 11/01/18
Hostage of Woodbridge
Originally Posted by AK416
Hostage of Woodbridge

+1
Originally Posted by BigBoreFan
Craig

My Father lived in Craig. Passed 2 years ago. Fred Blair. Know him?
Posted By: djs Re: Who we got from VIRGINIA ??? - 11/01/18
Born and raised in Maryland (across from Virginia); moved to and lived in Virginia for 39 of my 77 years (Fairfax and Virginia Beach), moved to Colorado 3 years ago.
Posted By: barm Re: Who we got from VIRGINIA ??? - 11/01/18
I am from Winchester born and raised. I have also lived in Harrisonburg while going to college and in Leesburg for work.
Lived from 83 to 86 1 block from the bolston metro station / putt putt golf and bob peck chevy.......u can have it ....
Btw your dam lucky I left u some fish and them little deer to eat ...lol
I think you'd be pleasantly surprised to see what QDM and supplemental feeding has done to improve the deer herd over thirty years. The size of the deer have definitely improved. It's not the Midwest, but it's a lot better than it used to be.
Grew up in Winchester, went to Mr. Jefferson's University. Family migrated to Fredericksburg/Spotsy while I was in school......been mostly here ever since.
Posted By: 163bc Re: Who we got from VIRGINIA ??? - 11/01/18
Native Virginian here. Lived in Northern Va. my entire 61 years. Currently live in Faquier Co.
Lee County, as far west as you can go, On the KY and TN line,
'Noke transplant, Fauquier native.
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Btw your dam lucky I left u some fish and them little deer to eat ...lol

Well bless your soul..... grin
Spent 6 years of childhood at Langley AFB.Many excursions to Blacksburg,which I preferred...
Originally Posted by Bull64
Spent 6 years of childhood at Langley AFB.Many excursions to Blacksburg,which I preferred...

Blacksburg[and Radford to a lesser extent] have become quite the liberal bastions of the region.
I give Blacksburg both barrels[fingers] as I drive over to the National Forrest. grin
Originally Posted by Seafire
Well I live in Oregon....

but I think most of you boys mentioned most of the places that many of my relatives
live...

17th generation Virginian....military dependent but pretty much grew up with that as our home state...

graduated high school in 1970 from West Springfield High, Fairfax County...

left and went to college in New England... then the military for a while...

when it came time to go home, home wasn't the Virginia I grew up in... certainly
not Fairfax County...

family roots are pretty much up and down the Shenandoah Valley...from
Winchester to Bristol... plus across the WVa state line... but back when it was still VA..

Raleigh, Greenbriar, Monroe and Mercer Counties...WVa

Roanoke Christianburg, Blacksburg, Wytheville area of VA is where most of the family still hangs their
hats...

Left VA for college, the population was 4 million folks.. now its buzzing 11 million as I hear and saw
the last time I was back there last year....

not only a bunch of transplanted Yankee types.. where in the hell did all of those foreigners come from???

I miss what was a wonderful state, and still is in spots....but they are getting invaded also by all of the
transplants....

I live out here and put up with the Left Coast wacko-ness... for the mountains and open spaces....
and being on the coast...

hell I knew the invasion is in full swing, when I witnessed a Porsche with West Virginia plates
in Monroe County, driven by some guy from India... was told he owned a local 7 11 or two...

there goes the neighborhood...

The O-P was just asking about members. He didnt need your 23 and Me genome mapping project of your great grandpappy Nate Pork Ginger Jefferson
I live in Maryland, but I can see Leesburg from the farm that I hunt right off of the river.
© 24hourcampfire