Home
interesting read

The water has never been clearer than it has now - and that's not a good thing

Decades ago, Lake Michigan teemed with nutrients and green algae, casting a brownish-green hue that resembled the mouth of an inland river rather than a vast, open-water lake.

Back then, the lake’s swampy complexion was less than inviting to swimmers and kayakers, but it supported a robust fishing industry as several commercial companies trawled for perch, and sport fishermen cast their lines for trout. But in the past 20 years, Lake Michigan has undergone a dramatic transformation.

In analyzing satellite images between 1998 and 2012, researchers at the Michigan Tech Research Institute were surprised to find that lakes Michigan and Huron are now clearer than Lake Superior. In a study published late last year, the researchers say limiting the amount of agricultural and sewage runoff in the lake has had an immense impact. However, the emergence of invasive mussels, which number in the trillions and have the ability to filter the entire volume of Lake Michigan in four to six days, has had an even greater effect.

“When you look at the scientific terms, we are approaching some oceanic values,” said Michael Sayers, a research engineer at Michigan Tech and co-author of the study. “We have some ways to go, but we are getting a lot closer to Lake Tahoe. A lot of times, you’ll hear from people that the water is so blue it compares to something in tropical areas.”

While appealing, the clarity comes at a significant cost to wildlife. In filtering the lake, the mussels have decimated the phytoplankton, a single-celled, green algae that serves as the base of the food chain. For much of the past decade, prey fish, like alewives, have remained at historic lows, prompting state managers to scale back the annual stocks of prized predators, such as king salmon.

The startling evolution has called into question the future of Great Lakes marine life and the region’s $7 billion fishing industry.

“Clearer is not necessarily better,” said Robert Shuchman, co-director of the Michigan Tech Research Institute. “Clearer water means less phytoplankton in the water column, and they’re the basic building block in the food web. The idea is, the little fish eat algae, and the bigger fish eat the little fish.

“There are some folks out there now that think Lake Michigan and Huron could become ecological deserts from a fishing standpoint. The food web could totally collapse because you don’t have the various organisms you need to sustain it.”

For ages, the phytoplankton fed the zooplankton, which were eaten by small, foraging fish. As the fast-filtering mussels reduce the plankton populations, there isn’t enough food to support the diet of many foraging fish. In addition, there’s not enough plankton or nutrients clouding the water to hide these small prey fish from predator fish.

“It’s a game of hide-and-seek in a brightly lit environment,” said Henry Vanderploeg, a research ecologist for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
A different approach to fishing

After years of working aboard a relative’s charter boat, Rick Bentley was leaving the fishing industry in the early ’90s to pursue a career in finance when the mussels began arriving.

“A lot of people were sounding massive alarms about how the mussels could change everything,” recalled Bentley, 46.

Their fears turned out to be prophetic. As the water cleared up, the fish cleared out. Since the introduction of the mussels, there’s been a sharp decline in nearly all fish species in Lake Michigan, including king salmon, scientists say.

read more...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...chigan-water-clarity-20180126-story.html
once humans began to populate, and then overpopulate the earth, then things began to change.

economic ecology is one phrase that can be used to describe where we are.

nobody, and i mean nobody knows how to fix anything anymore.

but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try, right. for the people.
I get paid to fix things every day. It's what I do.
Might be the same mussels they are worried about here.
Lotta mandatory inspections for tiger mussels at Colorado waters.
Originally Posted by kellory

How would you fix this problem?
Another big problem is now the sun reaches to much greater depths and the algae covers things much deeper now.
Originally Posted by smokepole

it's not a problem, it's a blessing, an opportunity?

it would be so good, so wonderful to see some long-term planning enter into the equation.
Sounds like these mussels should be given jobs in sewage treatment. I'm sure someone already thought of that...wonder what they learned.

Forty - fifty plus years ago Lamprey Eels had pretty much decimated Lake Trout in Lake Michigan. Even much smaller yellow perch would sometimes have deep sores from where Lampreys had been attached eating on them.

We just got them in our local lakes last year. It will be interesting to see how things change.
You can thank those who import exotic species for aquarium fans, lack of state/federal regulation and folks who dump their aquarium in the nearest water body when they grow tired of it.

-Hint- Don't swim in Dade County, FL canals....they have piranha....

And be careful trimming your hedges in the same area, we have green mambas.

Always wanted to catch someone doing that if only because I'd like to see what happens when you shoot an [bleep] with birdshot.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Wonderful. Florida is becoming Africa.
Maybe the mussels will remove all the mercury in the great lakes.
A lot of this invasive crap is the result of foreign vessels dumping their ballast water in the Great Lakes. Eurasian milfoil, zebra mussels (the topic of this thread), the round-nosed goby and on and on. Basically, these issues are from being global on a shipping level.
Originally Posted by bruinruin
these issues are from being global on a shipping level.

Exactly where it all started.
I remember my first trip to Lake Superior and being blown away at how clear the water was.

Now I read that is not a good thing
ok, so the mussels eventually compete for algae which is no longer there and they die off. mother nature balance things if given a chance.
The story is, the sparrows came on sailing ships from England. No answers here.
The story is, the sparrows came on sailing ships from England. No answers here.

Just to be clear there's about twenty or more species of Native sparrows.

House Sparrows belong to the African weaverbird family, North Africa being where they presumably originated.

Essentially the are house mice with wings, adaptable, omnivorous and smart (for a sparrow). They are almost never found anywhere where there are no humans and they scavenge around human activity, usually placing their nests on human-made structures. They are found everywhere where humans live from Iceland, Alaska and the Yukon south to New Zealand.

They were brung here on purpose into NYC in the late 19th Century in the belief they would eat damaging insects. Actually, if they weren't so damaging to bluebirds and other cavity-nesting Natve species no one would really care.
Originally Posted by m1rifleman
ok, so the mussels eventually compete for algae which is no longer there and they die off. mother nature balance things if given a chance.

They die back, but as soon as the algae makes a comeback so do they. Nature works on competition, and they out compete everything else.

Probably there is a huge amount of research right now on what predators and diseases keep them in check back in Russia.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

House Sparrows belong to the African weaverbird family, North Africa being where they presumably originated.

Certainly true. Otherwise we'd not have coconuts in North America. wink grin
Everyone needs to take a dump in one of the Great Lakes to save the fish..
Sometimes I can see bottom clearly in 50 feet of water if it's been calm a few days on Huron. When it's like that, you can't get anything to bite. Thanks freighters with contaminated ballast.

Hire biologists to study it thoroughly, before any half repairs are made, or false steps and Keep Bureaucrats completely out of the equation.
Originally Posted by Pugs
[quote=Birdwatcher]

Certainly true. Otherwise we'd not have coconuts in North America.

What, a sparrow carrying a coconut?
Originally Posted by xxclaro
Originally Posted by Pugs
[quote=Birdwatcher]

Certainly true. Otherwise we'd not have coconuts in North America.

What, a sparrow carrying a coconut?

" Would that be afrikan or European swallows?" (Monty python)

Hire biologists to study it thoroughly, before any half repairs are made, or false steps and Keep Bureaucrats completely out of the equation.

Taint no fix. We've been dealing with this cr@p for over 30 years.
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

It is a lot worse, when they get the wrong answers.....
http://www.conservationmagazine.org...ol-weighing-urgency-against-uncertainty/
Find what kind of fish and critters do like to live in clear filtered water with algae that grows 30 feet down.

It's about adaptation.
Originally Posted by RiverRider

Wonderful. Florida is becoming Africa.

As did Detroit. Jell0 luvs it.
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

Hire biologists to study it thoroughly, before any half repairs are made, or false
steps and Keep Bureaucrats completely out of the equation.

14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Zebra and quagga muscles not only kill the food chain, they grow on every semi-hard surface under water including fresh water intakes, docks, boats, props, rocks, sand, wrecks, pipelines, telecommunication lines, heavy infrastructure like bridges, dams, and piers. They cover the entire surface. They slice your feet to shreds. The Corps of Engineers are working to combat it as well as the Coast Guard making salties treat or dump their ballast at sea. Lake Erie has a toxic algae plume every summer now. These little bastards are going to cost all of us billions.
Let's eat the mussels.

P
Would Gus object?
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Find what kind of fish and critters do like to live in clear filtered water with algae that grows 30 feet down.

It's about adaptation.

Round Gobies eat the mussels. Another "gift" from the fūkin russians. Trouble is the cure is worse that the intial issue, gobies are hard on the ecosystem destroying other native fish.
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Sounds like these mussels should be given jobs in sewage treatment. I'm sure someone already thought of that...wonder what they learned.

Problem mussels clog up intake and outtake pipes....

Mussels have made a dramatic change to Lake St. Clair....water before 1990 in most of the lake had some color you couldn't see more than a couple feet ...now its crystal clear you can see 15'-18' at times ....in the bays there were weed beds and in deeper waters in small patches....now most of the lake has weeds up to the surface boats chop them up with there props wind blows them in large matts that can stop a boat....canals are treated with toxic chemicals to kill weeds so boats can use the canals....alga growing on bottom even the weeds...

It has change the fish pre-90's if you wanted to catch bass there was seasonal areas and you needed to do a little work to catch a limit....now its not uncommon to catch 80-100 bass on a good day there are bass everywhere on the lake now....walleye fishing was great easy fast limits of 6 minimum 13" pre-90's now you need to work to catch 2-3 for a meal...musky's pre-90's it was a 100 hours a fish 36" was the minimum size ....now because of conservation and larger size limits its not uncommon in a weekend to catch 30 pound fish....

Once zebra mussels are introduced to your local waters it will never ever be the same....and not for the best...
Lake Erie was devastated by the Zebra mussels 30 years ago, today the fishing has never been better, yellow perch eat both gobies and mussels, the walleye eat the perch. It takes time, all involved need to adapt. We have world class steelhead fishing, and this years walleye fishing is in line to best the best ever, the perch fishing has taken a hit with the huge numbers of walleye feeding on them, but with time everything will prosper. Give it time, adjust your tactics,change baits and line dia and you will catch fish. planer boards were born because of clear water and boats scaring fish, change is needed to get it done buts its not the dooms day that some say it is.
Someone figured out that a single zebra mussel filters a quart of water a day and they have certainly changed the eco system of Lake Michigan and Green Bay. The shells wash up knee deep along the Green Bay shoreline. There was a time that you could take a rowboat out anywhere fifty yards off shore and catch a bucket of yellow perch. Now what relatively few are left are out in deeper water where their eggs and minnows are eaten by the gobbles. Commercial netting quotas are way down and that industry is dying. Thirty years ago we could go out and get five 30 pound plus king salmon after work and now even a 25 pound fish is rare even for the charter guys. As drinking water Lake Michigan is first rate, but for fishing not so much anymore.
KWFA...I always wondered what was bad about cleaning up this lakes...thanks for the post, it explains it well.

We could start dumping industrial waste back into the lakes. I don't remember invasive species being an issue when a lit cigarette could ignite the Cuyahoga River. Since anything useful in the lakes is dying anyway, just end the misery and finish killing it off. Once dead, it can be brought back to life with native species.
Aint no way those mussels filter Lake Michigan in 6 days.. As for Zebra mussels, they are good in some ways. We have a Lake north Of here called Lake Winnebago. Forty years ago the lake just stunk with green algae, and it still does to some degree. It is a walleye perch fishery and has never been better. The sturgeon are doing very well too and that is a relief casuse it has a huge sturgeon population. As for Winnebago , the water is clearer but not clear, clear. The changes seem to be that the catfish and smallmouth bass numbers exploded Bad? Good? Neither but the lake did change and it instill is pretty green out there. Lake Michigan was always a clear lake as far as I can remember back to 1979. The report says Steelhead do eat them ( not the 24hr Steelhead, although , maybe he does and would explain a lot) Lake Trout also eat Gobies and Lake Trout bag limit was 2 per day for a long time. Now we are getting reports of enough Lake Trout to justify a 5 daily bag limit. Bad? Good? If the lake gets too clear, the mussels will die off in a hurry. Like other posters said, it will balance . Nature always does. Even Timber Wolves in WIs. are chaining the land for the better, sadly less deer , but a healthier forest for sure. Oaks, Hemlocks, White Pines are coming back cause of the wolf . Still no young cedars though. We will just have to eat less King Slamon and a few more smoked Lake Trout. Life could be worse.
I forgot to mention the smallmouth fishing on lake Erie, but it too is beyond fantastic, it almost gets boring catching 3-5 lb fish, but throw in a couple 6-7 pound fish and it is unbeatable, don't give up on your lakes, they will come around, it just takes time and a change in tactics, clear water means lighter lines and more detailed baits, remember the natural feed base is changing and so must the baits you use.
You can thank those who import exotic species for aquarium fans, lack of state/federal regulation and folks who dump their aquarium in the nearest water body when they grow tired of it.

-Hint- Don't swim in Dade County, FL canals....they have piranha....

Always wanted to catch someone doing that if only because I'd like to see what happens when you shoot an [bleep] with birdshot.

They've built a thriving population amidst the ecosystem of dumped stolen cars, motorcycles, bicycles and washing machines.

make it a law that it is illegal to eat those mussels all the while calling them a delicacy.
And talk about how eating them will make your wingwang bigger and more virile.

Chinese folks will have them cleaned out in no time.
LOL, that's the best plan I've heard.
Originally Posted by jimy
Lake Erie was devastated by the Zebra mussels 30 years ago, today the fishing has never been better, yellow perch eat both gobies and mussels, the walleye eat the perch. It takes time, all involved need to adapt. We have world class steelhead fishing, and this years walleye fishing is in line to best the best ever, the perch fishing has taken a hit with the huge numbers of walleye feeding on them, but with time everything will prosper. Give it time, adjust your tactics,change baits and line dia and you will catch fish. planer boards were born because of clear water and boats scaring fish, change is needed to get it done buts its not the dooms day that some say it is.

Exactly. Things change and adapt. And get better for many species and worse for a few.
Originally Posted by jimy

Exactly. Things change and adapt. And get better for many species and worse for a few.

Bad thing is there is a 7 billion dollar industry geared the the species that are endangered...
Commercial fishing was dying on those lakes long before zebra mussels came along.
Originally Posted by kkahmann
Commercial fishing was dying on those lakes long before zebra mussels came along.

Not about commercial fishing. It's related to the sport fishery and the tourism industry.

It's about adaptation.

The entire food chain starts with the algae, which feeds the smaller bait fish and bugs. Sterile lakes produce few critters.
Lakes are becoming sterile?
Got some real limonology experts here.
Some people gonna bitch about the ice creme being too cold.
People complaining about invasive specie impacting other invasive specie.
Tourism business will adapt fairly quickly. Commercial fishing not so much.
© 24hourcampfire