Home
Posted By: ribka looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18
Time to pick up a new truck

Looking at a 2016 TundraTRD locally

Have owned Tacomas and Dodge 2500's .. My 2006 Tacoma's ac just went out and experiencing a bunch of constant minor repairs.Not very happy with the body quality. Engine and trans are great. Looking to get a bigger truck.

feedback
Posted By: jackmountain Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18
We're on our 3rd Sequoia. Love them. If Toyota made a ton truck, crew cab with a utility bed Id have one. Til then I'll keep buying chevy for my work truck.
Posted By: WyColoCowboy Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18
I'm on my third Toyota truck. First one was a T100. I put 225,000 miles on it. Second was a 2002 Tundra. Put 285,000 miles on that one. Now I have a 2008 Tundra and it's the best one so far. 70,000 miles and at least a decade to go on this one.
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18
Good trucks but the thirstiest of all half tons in fuel consumption.
Posted By: WyColoCowboy Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub

Not much difference between bad and really bad. My old truck got 18 and the new one gets 16.
I don’t know about that, I owned 3 Tundras , a 2007, 2010, and a 2013, my realistic average on the highway was 15 ish, in town was 10-12. Towing it was horrendous, didn’t matter if I was towing a 2500 lb trailer or 5000 lb trailer mileage went down to 8-9. I towed a 8000 lb boat 1000 miles and got 5 mpg! I’ve had a F150 with the 3.5 Eco for a year now and my average fuel economy for 14,000 miles is 17.9 for the life of the truck. Just did a round trip 1000 miles to Utah running 80+ mph on I-70 with all the passes and averaged 20.2 and that included two days checking out big Muleys in their wintering range on rough dirt roads and two tracks in the mountains. Only way I could get 16-17 out my Tundras if I was running 60-65 on very flat stretches, if I ran 50-55 on a flat stretch then I would get 19 but I so rarely drove that speed. They aren’t a bad truck, I was a die hard Toyota guy forever, I just got so sick of the fuel mileage and the little fuel tanks that they came with. A year or two ago they finally threw the 30+ gallon tank in em. The sad part is my sons Tacoma gets almost the same fuel mileage as my F150, that makes no sense!
Posted By: BluMtn Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18
I have a 13 tundra crewmax and love it for driving. But as AlaskaCub said the fuel economy is not even good enough to suck. If I behave myself I can get 15-16 MPG, but I don't behave myself so it is around 12. When I have the toyhauler hooked up I get around 6 to 7 MPG with a 22 gallon tank. The thing about driving a Toyota is when you go to trade them in dealerships go crazy. One of the reasons I drive them. The last one I traded in never made the lot. Some looky lou's were on the dealers lot and saw me talking to a salesman and ask another salesman to check to see if I was trading. When they found out I was they made a stupid offer on it and it was gone the next day. I have been looking at GMC's and the money they are offering me for trade in is more than I paid for the pickup.
Posted By: fredIII Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18
I have a 2016 tundra it’s my favorite truck and I have had a half dozen new ones the 2016 is tops period.
Posted By: K1500 Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18
The mileage you guys are reporting is just about on par with a gas 3/4 ton. If I was willing to live with the tundra mileage, I'd go 3/4 ton gasser. It's a major step up in capability.
Posted By: broomd Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18

Yep, it's why my son flew down and took mine back to Alaska with him; and I went back to the T100 ex cab 4x4. I gotta get 20mpg or no thanks...
Posted By: knivesforme Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18
My 2012 Dual Cab Rock Warrior has 57K. I can't say for longevity, but the comfort is awesome compared to to the 2 Tacoma's that I had and loved. The mileage is not great at about 17 freeway with an automatic but I got tired of shifting the Tacoma's. For me I am really happy with the Truck. I will say that I have not used it in 4WD nearly as much, as I moved out of snow country,so that is not a reliably known factor. It is a pain to park in the city! I will agree on the trade value of the Tacoma's, my resale was extremely good. P.S. I don't tow anything so have no idea of that game. I do know that I run 70 MPH at about 1800 RPM's.

Posted By: hanco Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18
I want a new Dodge Diesel 3/4 ton
Posted By: bruinruin Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18
Strong rumors have it that the redesigned Tundra will start showing up on dealer lots in late 2019. Toyota is notoriously tight-lipped about their vehicle development, but more rumors indicate that there will be some more MPG friendly engine options. A TTV-6 being one of them. I'm hoping to make my 2007 Tundra last long enough to wait for a good used 2020 model to come along. So far I have about 102,000 thousand miles on it, so it should easily make 3-4 more years.
Posted By: VAhuntr Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18
Perfectly happy with my 2011 Tundra DC 4wd with the 5.7L and tow package. Would buy one again.
Posted By: bobmn Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18
VA: What mileage do you get towing? Thanks.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18
Originally Posted by bobmn

I'm not VA, but when I tow my 32' 5er which weighs about 9K or so wet, with my 4x4 5.7 Crewmax, I get between 8-10, but I tend to run a little fast on the highways because the truck seems happiest at around 65-75 in 5th gear. If I try dropping down to 55-60, it's too slow for 5th and id have tondrop to 4th. On flat ground with no head wind I can sometimes bump it up into 6th.
Posted By: HankMcMauser Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18
If you're worried about mileage look somewhere else than at Tundra's. They're a great truck, and I'm sure they haul all you need, but mileage isn't their strong suit.
I have a 2015 ram 1500 with the 3.21 axle, 8 speed trans, and 5.7 hemi, city mileage sucks for me because most of my local driving is 2 miles or less, but on the highway it redemms itself. On a recent trip across Oregon we were able to coax 23.5 mpg out of it this is over varying terrain of hwy 20 from Ontario to the coast in Newport. This was with the bed loaded 200# over gvw not towing.
Posted By: hatari Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18
Son in law loves his
Posted By: 30338 Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18
2015 5.7 and running great like my old 2008 did. Have had upwards of 1800 pounds of gravel in the 2015 multiple times and it handles it well actually. Want to upgrade the suspension soon but great trucks.
Posted By: sidepass Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18
5.7 is thirsty but boy does it get up and go when you put your foot in it.
Posted By: OrangeDiablo Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Strong rumors have it that the redesigned Tundra will start showing up on dealer lots in late 2019. Toyota is notoriously tight-lipped about their vehicle development, but more rumors indicate that there will be some more MPG friendly engine options. A TTV-6 being one of them. I'm hoping to make my 2007 Tundra last long enough to wait for a good used 2020 model to come along. So far I have about 102,000 thousand miles on it, so it should easily make 13-14 more years.

Fixed
Posted By: Redneck Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18
Originally Posted by ribka
Time to pick up a new truck

Looking at a 2016 TundraTRD locally

Have owned Tacomas and Dodge 2500's .. My 2006 Tacoma's ac just went out and experiencing a bunch of constant minor repairs.Not very happy with the body quality. Engine and trans are great. Looking to get a bigger truck.

feedback
F-series... smile
Posted By: ajmorell Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18
Would've bought one if I could've found one with the miles/options I wanted in my price range. Ended up with an F-150. People gripe about mileage on the Tundra, but my F-150 averages only about 16mpg. If you can live with the dated design (basically the same since 2007, slight refresh in 14) it's a great option.
Posted By: BLG Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18
Toyota needs to have rear end gearing options. My old 1999 Dodge gets the same gas mileage as a 2017 Tundra. That's not saying much. Granted, I can't tow as much, but my needs don't require 10500pds of towing ability. I pull my 19ft bay boat and a 4 wheeler trailer. I'm not about to spend $40k on a new truck to get the same gas mileage as a 20 year old vehicle. It's 2018 for Pete's sake. There's no reason Toyota can't get with the program and have a full size V8 pickup get better than 17mpg. I'll be in the market in 2020, unless and until Toyota improves on the gas mileage, they will be my 3rd choice. (never have been or will be a Ford guy)

JMHO

Clyde
I hope they do make some changes in the Tundra. It’s really a bummer to me that Toyota hasn’t done any improvements to the Tundra in the last 11 years. Toyota really jumped on the big stage in 2007 when they came out with the 5.7L motor in the new Tundra and it definitely lit a fire under the big 3’s ass to step up their game. Last winter when I decided to sell my diesel and get back into a half ton I looked at all of them and honestly the Tundra came in last in performance basically across the board compared to the Big 3. Acceleration, handling, quality of components in fit and finish, features and or course fuel economy. Never been a Ford guy in my life but I was so freakin impressed with the F150 with the new 3.5 Eco that it was kind of a no brainer on what to get. It’s faster than the Tundra, the 10 spd tranny shifts seamlessly and the fuel mileage is great. Who knows if the SOB will last but so far 1 year and 14,000 miles later and no visits to the dealership except the first oil change it’s doing pretty good. Wife and son both drive Yotas.
Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18
Tundras are decent trucks, I know 6 people that have them and only one of them has had a good deal of mechanical issues. The main complaint from the owners is terrible fuel consumption. My FIL only gets 13mpg on the hwy in his 4wd Tundra and I have another friend that only get's 12mpg, but he does have slightly oversize all terrains.

Ford and GM trucks are just as good these days and both get much better mileage. I have 285 BFG ATs on my new Chevy 1/2ton(5.3) and get 17-18mpg locally and up to 20mpg on hunting trips.
Posted By: 4winds Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18
If the deal is good buy it.

I have a 2007. It sucks gas, but so did every truck I've had which includes every manufacturer except the Nissans. The other three will never come close to the resale value and the odds are in your favor for less maintenance surprises. It does take off when you hit that pedal and will tow like crazy. It does everything well that you would expect a pickup to do.

If you want to save gas get a small 4 banger GGG in addition, none of the others are going to be that much better than the tundra in gas savings because they're not designed to get 50mpg.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18
I hope they do make some changes in the Tundra. It’s really a bummer to me that Toyota hasn’t done any improvements to the Tundra in the last 11 years. Toyota really jumped on the big stage in 2007 when they came out with the 5.7L motor in the new Tundra and it definitely lit a fire under the big 3’s ass to step up their game. Last winter when I decided to sell my diesel and get back into a half ton I looked at all of them and honestly the Tundra came in last in performance basically across the board compared to the Big 3. Acceleration, handling, quality of components in fit and finish, features and or course fuel economy. Never been a Ford guy in my life but I was so freakin impressed with the F150 with the new 3.5 Eco that it was kind of a no brainer on what to get. It’s faster than the Tundra, the 10 spd tranny shifts seamlessly and the fuel mileage is great. Who knows if the SOB will last but so far 1 year and 14,000 miles later and no visits to the dealership except the first oil change it’s doing pretty good. Wife and son both drive Yotas.

Yeah, it went twice as far as mine did before it was bought back by Fraud. There is no freaking way I buy another domestic pickup ever again unless of course Toyota buys Ford ..
Posted By: GunTruck50 Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18

My 2008 4X4 tundra tows my 27ft Arctic Fox Trailer, about 8500 lbs great. My cousin once accidently put 3 ton
of busted up concrete in back of his 2011 2 wheel drive Tundra for about 5 miles. Only weak point on truck is
if you tow a trailer you can warp front rotors if you don,t turn trailer brakes up enough.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18
Tundras are great trucks if you need a 1/2 ton. However, some dealers will try to market them as 3/4's. Don't fall for that. If you need a 3/4, buy one.
Posted By: slg888 Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18
I have a 2014 Tundra...terrible on gas. I miss my Chevy.
Posted By: TxHunter80 Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18
I think I will go Tundra next time. I went Chevy this go round because of the "great" gas mileage claims. My 1/2 ton Chevy Z71 has averaged 15.9mpg over it's life. My Ford before it with the 5.4, averaged 13.5mpg. I wouldn't let mpg sway your decision. I don't think there is that much difference.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18
I went through a similar process 2 years ago. My 07 Tacoma has been perfect for 186,000 miles, but we also needed a bigger truck at this point. This was 2016 and I was looking at 2011-2014 trucks and was leaning hard for a Tundra. But I simply never found a used one that met my criteria. On the other hand a computer search turned up dozens of F-150's within 70 mile radius and I ended up buying a 2014 Supercrew 4X4 with the 5.0 V8.

I'm not at all unhappy, but I still think the Tundra is the better pure truck. If you get the 5.7 engine, you get 4.30 gears and a truck that will tow 10,000 lbs. No other options. Ford advertises near 12,000, but those trucks are unicorns. If you get it equipped right yes, but there aren't many out there that will realistically tow over about 8,000. Ford offers dozens of combinations of payload,engine, axle and trim options and most of them are not set up for hard work.

My truck does ride a bit better and on average will get about 2 mpg better. But I've gotta believe that the money spent on gas will be saved on repairs that aren't needed.

By all means make sure you get one with the bigger fuel tank. It is 36-38 gallons and well worth it. That was the biggest thing that prevented me from buying a Tundra 2 years ago. It wasn't an option until 2014 and I found none so equipped. My Ford has a 36 gallon tank and it is my favorite feature. Not that I drive 700 miles between fill ups, but I can choose when I buy gas and at the prices I want to pay instead of buying gas when have to have it.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18
My brother bought a 2018 Tundra. He switched from an F150 and absolutely loves the tundra except the gas mileage. I found it to be roomier than a comparable af 150 crew cab.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18
I don’t know about that, I owned 3 Tundras , a 2007, 2010, and a 2013, my realistic average on the highway was 15 ish, in town was 10-12. Towing it was horrendous, didn’t matter if I was towing a 2500 lb trailer or 5000 lb trailer mileage went down to 8-9. I towed a 8000 lb boat 1000 miles and got 5 mpg! I’ve had a F150 with the 3.5 Eco for a year now and my average fuel economy for 14,000 miles is 17.9 for the life of the truck. Just did a round trip 1000 miles to Utah running 80+ mph on I-70 with all the passes and averaged 20.2 and that included two days checking out big Muleys in their wintering range on rough dirt roads and two tracks in the mountains. Only way I could get 16-17 out my Tundras if I was running 60-65 on very flat stretches, if I ran 50-55 on a flat stretch then I would get 19 but I so rarely drove that speed. They aren’t a bad truck, I was a die hard Toyota guy forever, I just got so sick of the fuel mileage and the little fuel tanks that they came with. A year or two ago they finally threw the 30+ gallon tank in em. The sad part is my sons Tacoma gets almost the same fuel mileage as my F150, that makes no sense!

My experience exactly.
Posted By: byd Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18
I've read the posts for this thread and unless you own a newer Tundra shut the hell up, my 2016 5.7 gets 18 mpg at 75 on the highway and I can go a long way with 38 gallon fuel tank.
Posted By: NYH1 Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18
Originally Posted by byd
I've read the posts for this thread and unless you own a newer Tundra shut the hell up, my 2016 5.7 gets 18 mpg at 75 on the highway and I can go a long way with 38 gallon fuel tank.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GunTruck50 Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18
A Tundra with the 5.7L engine does have the same rear end as most 3/4 ton pickups. Frame is for a 1/2 ton.
Also has bigger brakes than most half tons.
Posted By: knivesforme Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18
Another California only I'm sure. Had to take it in for a recall that detuned the computer, if you didn't get the recall done they wouldn't issue you a new registration.
Posted By: FreeMe Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18
One thing I have always reminded myself, and is proven over and over again, is that gas mileage ain't everything.

There are lots of Tundras around here, but try and find one on the used market. Jump on it fast, or you miss it. OTOH - domestics, especially Fords, are easy to find. There is a reason for that.

I can't understand why anyone should be averaging less than 16 mpg highway with the 5.7, unless they have a heavy foot. That's a heavy headwind at interstate speeds day for me with my 2007. Worst I've done on highway on a given day without pulling a trailer is 14 mpg - and that was only while bucking a stiff headwind at 80 mph. Usually, I'm getting 18. I just made a 260 mile round trip on mountain highways at around 65 mph that worked out to 19 mpg. I average 10-11 mpg towing the 4,000 lb 20' camp trailer, but I don't exceed 65 mph by much while towing. I suppose that using synthetic oil as the manual suggests helps a little. Around town, I get 13-14 mpg.

BTW - this truck hardly notices that camp trailer it's towing.

Posted By: Sako76 Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18
I had a 2008 Tundra 4 door 5.7 L, 166K miles not one issue, it got 15 MPG but it really moved. I have a 2014 Ford F-150 4 door 3.5 EcoBoost, 75K on it. Already 2 out of warranty repairs and gets 15.1 MPG and is sluggish, I'm not happy.
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18
Originally Posted by byd

At 75 on the highway my 2016 5.7 Double Cab 4x4 will get 16. Love everything about the truck except the gas mileage which does suck and which is costing Toyota a lot of sales because they won't update the engine/tranny and fix the mileage. That being said, I'd rather pay fuel bills than repair bills and whoever said the domestic trucks are just as good as Toyota is wrong. I've been that way too many times, U.S. makers just won't last like a Toyota.

There is no better 1/2 ton made at this time Than the current F150.....I have owned them all and trade!!!!!!! every 2 years.....My current 2016 F150 is a 17000K... No returns to the dealer and No problems......I have had more problems with my last Toyota than I ever had with Ford or Dodge.... My wife's last Toyota blew a Motor at 50K ....I can not comment on GM.....Will not buy one.....Who would Buy a outdated Tundra....Ugliest Truck on the road sorry....Makes a Titan look good.....
Posted By: broomd Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18
Originally Posted by byd

laffin...
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

At 75 on the highway my 2016 5.7 Double Cab 4x4 will get 16. Love everything about the truck except the gas mileage which does suck and which is costing Toyota a lot of sales because they won't update the engine/tranny and fix the mileage. That being said, I'd rather pay fuel bills than repair bills and whoever said the domestic trucks are just as good as Toyota is wrong. I've been that way too many times, U.S. makers just won't last like a Toyota.

Truth..........
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18
Originally Posted by byd

Right where my dad is at with the '15 he bought 3 weeks ago. Lotsa power with that 4.30 gear and 380 hp.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18
Originally Posted by FreeMe
One thing I have always reminded myself, and is proven over and over again, is that gas mileage ain't everything.

There are lots of Tundras around here, but try and find one on the used market. Jump on it fast, or you miss it. OTOH - domestics, especially Fords, are easy to find. There is a reason for that.

I can't understand why anyone should be averaging less than 16 mpg highway with the 5.7, unless they have a heavy foot. That's a heavy headwind at interstate speeds day for me with my 2007. Worst I've done on highway on a given day without pulling a trailer is 14 mpg - and that was only while bucking a stiff headwind at 80 mph. Usually, I'm getting 18. I just made a 260 mile round trip on mountain highways at around 65 mph that worked out to 19 mpg. I average 10-11 mpg towing the 4,000 lb 20' camp trailer, but I don't exceed 65 mph by much while towing. I suppose that using synthetic oil as the manual suggests helps a little. Around town, I get 13-14 mpg.

BTW - this truck hardly notices that camp trailer it's towing.

I have gotten 19.5 on a trip to Florida and got no higher 75MPH Shell regular 87. Last trip to Alabama driving thru Atlanta and not at any steady speed 17.5 was my best. I have michelin LTX AT's on this one and I inflate them to 35lbs.
Posted By: sigguy Re: looking at a Tundra - 01/31/18
I have a 2008 Crewmax Tundra that replaced a 2002 Dodge 2500 Diesel. I've had multiple Dodge, Chevy, and Toyota trucks, and a couple of 4 Runners over the years. All were purchased new and well maintained.

My take:

The Tundra is a "heavy" 1/2 ton. It's not a 3/4 ton, but an overbuilt 1/2. I get 14mpg or so around town and 17-18 on the highway, usually up over mountain passes. For a 5,700 lb gas truck, that's not bad. There are no funky engine controls (i.e. variable cylinder deactivation), and it has a heavy frame. The 5.7 is a great engine that has plenty of power, and knock on wood I've had no mechanical problems at all. It's built for longevity and reliability, and I hope they keep it that way. My hunting buddy has a 2007 Tacoma with 180K miles on it and it's a trooper. I will say that the Tacoma is waaay smaller on the inside, and seems far less sturdy than the Tundra, FWIW.

I tow a 5K boat or a 7K travel trailer, and quite often have 1,500# plus in the bed. The Tundra is perfect for this.Towing it'll do 9-13 mpg depending on the weight, speed, and number of mountain passes I go over. If I was regularly towing more weight, I'd probably suck it up and get another domestic 3/4t or 1t diesel. Something else about the Tundra is that if you ever have to drive in urban areas, it is about as big a vehicle as you can get that you can comfortably fit in underground parking. My Dodge (X cab short bed) was too big for this; if that sort of thing matters to you. It's also pretty easy to parallel park in the city, which for me is normally moving various kids from schools, apartments, etc (Dad the Mover duty!).

I've never had a domestic vehicle be as reliable as a Toyota. They may not get the best mileage, or refresh their designs as often, but Toyotas tend to be sturdy and run trouble free IMO.

This Tundra is the best truck I've ever owned. I'd drive one and see how it feels to you.
Posted By: llama2 Re: looking at a Tundra - 02/01/18
Agree with about all that has been said here by Tundra owners: They are great trucks, that do not get great gas mileage. So what, as most pickups do not get great gas mileage. My Tundra never ever let me down, and did not cost much to operate as far as maintenance- and gave me great resale when I sold it. Unless things go upside down with my 10 month old 2017 Tundra, I plan on keeping it for a long time! And only expect to replace it when it is time with another. You pay some way for all vehicles. At the pump and at the shop. Some less than others. I never paid much of anything at the shop for my 2007 Tundra and it was hardly ever there. And when I needed to use it, it did all I asked of it. Towed my 20’ travel trailer like it was nothing. And yes, it likes to drink the gas when it did so. At first that bothered me; but I got over it.

On my 2nd Tundra. First one was a 2007 regular cab- and it was the best truck I have ever had. Had Chevy’s and one Dodge before it. The only reason I got a 2017 Tundra was because I felt it was time to get a double cab. Bought the ‘07 five years before we had our first grandchild. In 2017 we already had (4) grandchildren and felt it was time to do what I should have done the first time- get a double cab.

It was really, really hard for me to sell a truck that only had 97K miles on it and never once gave me a bit of trouble. I hemmed and hawed for over a year before finally going in and pick up a new double cab. There was never any doubt to me what pick up that I was going to buy. My 2017 Tundra is going to last me a long time and expect it to be just as good as my first one. My 2007 drove just as good ten years later as it did when I bought it new. Only regular maintenance and no significant repairs at all. My 2007 sold the first weekend I put it up for sale. The sales person would have loved to buy it from me, but told me I would probably get 3-4K more selling on my own. He was exactly right.

If you find the Tundra you are looking for, I personally would not hesitate to buy one!
Originally Posted by byd

Maybe down Hill at 55....My son just got a 2016 Tundra pro.......14 mpg on a good day.....Unless you own a New Gen F150 Shut the Hell up grin.......Best truck made period ....Most reviewers agree......Now that might change with all the New redesigned trucks coming in the next 2 years.....
Posted By: VAhuntr Re: looking at a Tundra - 02/01/18
Originally Posted by bobmn

I don't really tow anything on a regular basis other than a utility trailer with an old Honda 4Trax 4x4 or a John Deere X380, so I don't keep track. When it gets below a 1/2 tank I just fill it up.
Posted By: byd Re: looking at a Tundra - 02/01/18
I do have a 38 gallon tank and I run premium fuel.
Posted By: ribka Re: looking at a Tundra - 02/01/18
Think I found one

Has the tow package, trans cooler, 38 gal tank and some other upgrades

I know about the milage issues with tundras

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...p;filtersModified=true#listing=193694427
thanks for input guys!
Posted By: byd Re: looking at a Tundra - 02/01/18
Since this is a hunting and shooting forum
The Tundra is equal to the 30-06 and a 3/4 ton diesel is a 300 Win Mag.
Posted By: JWD8310 Re: looking at a Tundra - 02/01/18
I have a 2015 Tundra 4x4 with the 5.7. When it shows empty, I can fit 21 gallons in it. Trip meter is usually between 320 and 340 miles per tank. I drive mostly in town, very little freeway. I tow my boat quite a bit. Thats a combined 4100 pounds or so. That brings gas mileage down to about 280 to 300 miles per tank.
Posted By: VAhuntr Re: looking at a Tundra - 02/01/18
Originally Posted by byd

Where would a 3/4 ton gasser fall?? grin
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: looking at a Tundra - 02/01/18
Originally Posted by VAhuntr
Originally Posted by byd

Where would a 3/4 ton gasser fall?? grin

.300 WSM
Posted By: NYH1 Re: looking at a Tundra - 02/01/18
Originally Posted by byd

Try, if the Tundra is equal to the 30-06, the 3/4 ton is a 338 Win. Mag.

You do realize you're comparing two trucks that are built total different and for two different purposes don't you.

The Tundra-
7000 lbs. GVWR, 1600 lbs. max payload, 10k lbs. max towing.

My Ram 3/4 ton GAS-
10000 lbs. GVWR, 3600 lbs. max payload, 15930 max towing. I can hang a 1225 lbs. plow on the front and be within factory spec's. Try that with your Tundra.

The Tundra is a good truck no doubt, don't go making it something it isn't.

Good luck, NYH1.
Originally Posted by NYH1
Originally Posted by byd

You do realize you're comparing two trucks that are built total different and for two different purposes don't you.

The Tundra-

My Ram 3/4 ton GAS-
10000 lbs. GVWR, 3600 lbs. max payload, 15930 max towing. I can hang a 1225 lbs. plow on the front and be within factory spec's. Try that with your Tundra.

Good luck, NYH1.

Yep, I know. I just sold my 2012 3/4 ton Ram. Could not justify a deisel for my use. A lot of higher maintenance costs too for the Ram
Posted By: NYH1 Re: looking at a Tundra - 02/01/18
Originally Posted by byd

The Tundra-

My Ram 3/4 ton GAS-

Good luck, NYH1.

Yep, I know. I just sold my 2012 3/4 ton Ram. Could not justify a deisel for my use. A lot of higher maintenance costs too for the Ram

Understood. That's my GAS 3/4 Ram. I'm not a diesel guy either. The diesel would give me another 1200 lbs. or so towing capacity. However, I'd loose a little payload and FRWR (plow) capacity.

Again, the Tundra is a great truck for it's intended purpose. It's NOT a 3/4 ton truck.

NYH1.
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: looking at a Tundra - 02/01/18
Originally Posted by byd

The Tundra-

My Ram 3/4 ton GAS-

Good luck, NYH1.

Ribka......

I went through the exact same thing last year. FWIW don’t only look at the Tundra and this is coming from a forever Toyota guy, drive a new F150 before you buy the Tundra, if only for chits and grins. I was friggin blown away by the new 3.5 Eco w/ the 10 spd , it will blow the doors off the Tundra in every performance aspect. Acceleration, Torque towing etc, and the fuel mileage is soooo much better than the Tundra. I’m not going to even get into all the other features I love about the truck from the rear under seat storage and the ability to have the whole back seat available for Cargo to the standard limited slip rear end as opposed to Toyota’s ABS version , better stereo and user friendly features from the radio/Nav it just offers so much more than the outdated Tundra. I’m telling you, it’s worth a test drive and finger [bleep] the features.

Took this pic yesterday just for you and my truck has E rated 33” tires , that’s the last 4 days of running around MPG average, city and highway.

F150 Display

Posted By: broomd Re: looking at a Tundra - 02/01/18
Love it, Roland. Cutting through the bullsh t. No reason a modern day truck shouldn't get 20 mpg on the road.
And it's why I sold my Tundra. ....8-10 mpg with a small pop-up truck camper or 13 mpg pulling my little Lund boat wasn't acceptable.

I'm intrigued with the F150, is yours the AL body?
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: looking at a Tundra - 02/01/18
Yeah It’s the AL body.

Frank I’ve owned 3 compact Toyota’s , a T100 and 3 Tundras, I really thought Toyota stood head and shoulders above the big 3 in Alaska with the extreme winter conditions and there reliability and dependability in life and death temps. But IMO the Japanese Toyota’s of years past have been replaced by American made trucks with outsourced parts from everywhere and I just don’t see the quality they were once admired for. The 3 Tundras I had we’re not trouble free. The 07 developed into a bit of a nightmare. I had check engine lights, the warped dashes and then they had to replace the entire front axle and diff as some sort of tsb. The 2010 had an assortment of things to include an intake oil leak that was not a small job and required several trips back to the dealer, once again a TSB. The one thing that bothered me about all 3 Tundras was the quality of materials used, both the plastic interior felt and looked so cheap to the paper thin exterior metals and paint so thin you could scratch it with your thumb. My bitching and complaining on Tundra Solutions Forum led to Toyota redesigning the tailgate in the trucks after I loaded my 4wheeler in the bed of my Tundra and the tailgate fell apart. Then when Toyota told me the tailgate was not a load bearing component I about lost my chit. I asked the field rep how the hell could I load my 4 wheeler with RAMPS in Dlx’s, Tacoma’s and T100’s and not in the biggest truck they ever made, That was a fight that about put me over the edge. Anyway the Toyota fan boy in me really just got worn down over the years as I realized that there are lots of good trucks out there and seeing advances in designs that offered a lot more than a warm and fuzzy feeling about Toyota’s. None of todays trucks are cheap that’s for sure and I really feel like all of them have upped their game and I just don’t see very many guys having that much trouble with any of them. May as well drive what really offers you the best platform. None of us can work on any of them anymore anyway as they all require special tools and diagnostic equipment to do anything on them other than brakes and maintenance. I shopped every half ton last year when I bought mine and I honestly felt the F-150 offered the best of everything compared to the competition. Of course I left bias completely out of the equation and looked at each truck with an open mind. So far no regrets.
Posted By: FreeMe Re: looking at a Tundra - 02/01/18
^^ The tailgate on my '07 is the one thing I am not really happy with. Yes, the new ones are a big improvement. Fortunately, I don't need to load an ATV.
My son and I where on our way to Ky this year!!!!!!!!He was driving his 2016 Tundra pro pulling a utility trailer hauling a 4 wheeler......I was Driving my 2016 F150 3.5 ecoBoost pulling a utility trailer with a Polaris ranger on it........The bed was slap full of Hunting and camping gear.......... He was getting between 9 and 10 mile per gallon with a lighter load.....I was getting 15.8 for the trip.......His truck pulled fancy gap in 3rd and 4th gear @ 3500 Rpm and above.....My truck pulled it in 5th and 6th @ around 2000 to 2500 RPM we were running 70+

This is the first truck in the last 10 years ...I will probably keep for more than 2 years.....There is nothing better or even close in a 1/2 ton right Now.....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GunTruck50 Re: looking at a Tundra - 02/01/18
Forgot I did make one change to my 2008 Tundra. I put air bags on rear. I run about 25lbs. of air loaded with my 27ft trailer. Tailgate was a problem on
2007 Tundra, they changed the design twice in 2007 and 2008. I think mine has second design. I try to be careful loading my ATV.
Posted By: VAhuntr Re: looking at a Tundra - 02/02/18
Originally Posted by byd

The Tundra-

My Ram 3/4 ton GAS-

Good luck, NYH1.

Ribka......

I went through the exact same thing last year. FWIW don’t only look at the Tundra and this is coming from a forever Toyota guy, drive a new F150 before you buy the Tundra, if only for chits and grins. I was friggin blown away by the new 3.5 Eco w/ the 10 spd , it will blow the doors off the Tundra in every performance aspect. Acceleration, Torque towing etc, and the fuel mileage is soooo much better than the Tundra. I’m not going to even get into all the other features I love about the truck from the rear under seat storage and the ability to have the whole back seat available for Cargo to the standard limited slip rear end as opposed to Toyota’s ABS version , better stereo and user friendly features from the radio/Nav it just offers so much more than the outdated Tundra. I’m telling you, it’s worth a test drive and finger [bleep] the features.

Took this pic yesterday just for you and my truck has E rated 33” tires , that’s the last 4 days of running around MPG average, city and highway.

F150 Display

That is pretty impressive! I like the F-150 and came close to buying one back in 2011. However, I am concerned about the reliability of the 3.5 EB engine. Local PD had tons of problems (severe oil consumption, fouled plugs, and burnt coil packs) from their Interceptors with the EB engine. So much so they are no longer buying them. They adopted them early so maybe Ford has the bugs worked out by now. If I were buying today I'd certainly consider the F-150. For me, the Tundra has been paid for since early 2014 so I can afford to put gas in it. Not sure when the tailgate was redesigned but I've not had any issues with my 2011.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: looking at a Tundra - 02/02/18
Originally Posted by VAhuntr
Originally Posted by byd

The Tundra-

My Ram 3/4 ton GAS-

Good luck, NYH1.

Ribka......

F150 Display

That is pretty impressive! I like the F-150 and came close to buying one back in 2011. However, I am concerned about the reliability of the 3.5 EB engine. Local PD had tons of problems (severe oil consumption, fouled plugs, and burnt coil packs) from their Interceptors with the EB engine. So much so they are no longer buying them. They adopted them early so maybe Ford has the bugs worked out by now. If I were buying today I'd certainly consider the F-150. For me, the Tundra has been paid for since early 2014 so I can afford to put gas in it. Not sure when the tailgate was redesigned but I've not had any issues with my 2011.

2017 EB has port and direct injection, before there was no good way to clean up the carbon buildup in the previous iteration. It should be less of an issue now with the redesign. The engine is a great design and not an issue with my truck. Ford unfortunately a few years back went to vacumn hoses to actuate 4WD on their trucks. That is why my 2016 F150 was in the shop for 60 days and had ford support engineers flying in to see why there was this vacumn leak that could not be fixed. Basically the entire front drivetrain, axles, hubs , vacumn lines , vacumn box was replaced and they still had the truck trying to engage its hubs .

I knew everyone at the dealership on a first name basis and they were very nice but they could not fix this problem. RIght in front of the mechanic bay was a big screen TV where the tech discussed this issue with Dearborn support engineers. Sorry but any manufacturer that puts out a product that cannot be fixed in one week nevermind 60 days well there is something very wrong with the design. F150 has a roomier cab, quieter ride and more performance then the Tundra and there is no disputing that. Three trucks all F150 XLT's were bought back by ford during the time period I was going thru this.. November 2016 thru April 2017.

Posted By: Holston Re: looking at a Tundra - 02/02/18
I had 2011 Tundra, the rock warrior edition. Really liked it, but wanted to try a Tacoma.

Currently have 2014 Crew Cab TRD. I like the truck, love the fact that’s it’s a 6-speed manual vs auto. Just has no room for more than 2 people and a car seat barely fits in the rear.

I was dead set on trading for another Tundra, but my dad got a new F-150 a month ago, and I’ll be taking a very hard look at them before trading.
Posted By: Slim_Jenkins Re: looking at a Tundra - 02/02/18
You aren't alone in your assessment AlaskaCub. I have good friend that has been a Toyota only guy for 20+ years. He drove a new F150 and traded away his Tundra. He drove every brand too.
FWIW, I'm at 100K on my 2012 Ecoboost without issue. None! Love the power, fuel economy, room, and the 36 gallon tank. Also, I've been getting Blackstone Lab oil reports done since around 20K miles if anyone is interested in wear components or actually lack there of. Send a PM.

If I didn't have a F150, I would likely be driving a Tundra.

Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Ford unfortunately a few years back went to vacumn hoses to actuate 4WD on their trucks.

The vacuum system used for activating IWE solenoids has been in play since at least 2004. They should have it figured out by now. I'd wager most are without issue.
Originally Posted by thin_man
You aren't alone in your assessment AlaskaCub. I have good friend that has been a Toyota only guy for 20+ years. He drove a new F150 and traded away his Tundra. He drove every brand too.
FWIW, I'm at 100K on my 2012 Ecoboost without issue. None! Love the power, fuel economy, room, and the 36 gallon tank. Also, I've been getting Blackstone Lab oil reports done since around 20K miles if anyone is interested in wear components or actually lack there of. Send a PM.

If I didn't have a F150, I would likely be driving a Tundra.

Ford unfortunately a few years back went to vacumn hoses to actuate 4WD on their trucks.

The vacuum system used for activating IWE solenoids has been in play since at least 2004. They should have it figured out by now. I'd wager most are without issue.

It was an issue and they stopped using it and then went back to it. As per their mechanic it serves more functions then just actuating the brakes. It was a [bleep] nightmare and to see a truck with 6500 miles with no answer from the Ford tech is beyond belief. My Tundra has 13k on it , It will get me thru retirement and probably with zero issues. It is a proven product.

Like I said there were 3 trucks bought back in the November thru April time period so you would lose your wager.

2017 EB has port and direct injection, before there was no good way to clean up the carbon buildup in the previous iteration. It should be less of an issue now with the redesign. The engine is a great design and not an issue with my truck. Ford unfortunately a few years back went to vacumn hoses to actuate 4WD on their trucks. That is why my 2016 F150 was in the shop for 60 days and had ford support engineers flying in to see why there was this vacumn leak that could not be fixed. Basically the entire front drivetrain, axles, hubs , vacumn lines , vacumn box was replaced and they still had the truck trying to engage its hubs .

I knew everyone at the dealership on a first name basis and they were very nice but they could not fix this problem. RIght in front of the mechanic bay was a big screen TV where the tech discussed this issue with Dearborn support engineers. Sorry but any manufacturer that puts out a product that cannot be fixed in one week nevermind 60 days well there is something very wrong with the design. F150 has a roomier cab, quieter ride and more performance then the Tundra and there is no disputing that. Three trucks all F150 XLT's were bought back by ford during the time period I was going thru this.. November 2016 thru April 2017.

My brother has a 2017 that had the same problem with the 4x4 trying to engage on its own.... vacuum leak off.....They replaced the Check valve twice.....Come to find out it had a small piece of plastic stuck in the Check valve for the Hubs.....The valve would work one time and the next it would not hold the hubs out.....I am the one who discovered them problem with the valve....I was checking the valve with my Mouth and the piece of plastic came out in my mouth....I went to advance auto and picked up a ck valve for a GM truck.... It was all they had in stock.....Truck has been fixed for 4 months...Problem solved ....Cost 6 bucks......If any of you guys are having this problem....Replace the Ck valve... I believe the valves are defective ....Use GM part #14047619 Valve...It is located right in front of the master Cylinder....The symptoms are a loud rattle/grinding noise coming from the front end... Goes away if you let off the gas or get on it or switch to 4X4 ...... Thank me Later

It was an issue and they stopped using it and then went back to it. As per their mechanic it serves more functions then just actuating the brakes. It was a [bleep] nightmare and to see a truck with 6500 miles with no answer from the Ford tech is beyond belief. My Tundra has 13k on it , It will get me thru retirement and probably with zero issues. It is a proven product.

Like I said there were 3 trucks bought back in the November thru April time period so you would lose your wager.

Your evidence is 3 trucks? How many 4wd F150's has Ford sold since 2004? What years between 2004 and now didn't use these systems? Thanks
The engine draws a vacuum and using check valves, it pulls in the IWE's to disengage the 4wd not the brakes. Pretty simple system.

KMM, I did help a friend diagnose a hub trying to engage on his 2005. It was a bad IWE but to be fair, it had just over 200k on the original part.

Edit to add. I'm not suggesting they are totally trouble free. Just that the majority are without issue. Sorry if I worded incorrectly. I do know, I've changed more GM hub assemblies than Ford and I've been around far more Ford 4wd's than GM. That is all.
Posted By: yukon254 Re: looking at a Tundra - 02/02/18
Tundra will be my next truck. My 06 Ford 150 was the worst piece of junk I've ever owned.....got a good deal on a 13 Ford with the 3.5 ecoboost. Only minor issues so far but only at 32K. Gas milage sucks. Best I've ever got is 18, and mines a 2x2. Only way that truck would get what they advertise is going downhill with a tailwind. Hook a trailer up and its into the single digits. Lots of timing chain issues with the 3.5 too. Ford is actually fighting a class action lawsuit over it. GMC isn't much better. My sons just blew the lifters and cam shaft. He only had 50KM on it. Another friends new one is burning oil....all this is caused by the AFM. Got a buddy on his second Dodge with the 5.7....500K on the first with zero problems. He has 350K on his second one again with no problems...
Originally Posted by yukon254
Tundra will be my next truck. My 06 Ford 150 was the worst piece of junk I've ever owned.....got a good deal on a 13 Ford with the 3.5 ecoboost. Only minor issues so far but only at 32K. Gas milage sucks. Best I've ever got is 18, and mines a 2x2. Only way that truck would get what they advertise is going downhill with a tailwind. Hook a trailer up and its into the single digits. Lots of timing chain issues with the 3.5 too. Ford is actually fighting a class action lawsuit over it. GMC isn't much better. My sons just blew the lifters and cam shaft. He only had 50KM on it. Another friends new one is burning oil....all this is caused by the AFM. Got a buddy on his second Dodge with the 5.7....500K on the first with zero problems. He has 350K on his second one again with no problems...

Not trying to be a A## hole.......... No way he has 500K on a Dodge with zero problems......The worst truck I have ever owned was a 2009 Ram 1500......The second worst was 2003 Dodge Ram.....My brother owns a Chevy Dealership......He has more problems with Ram trucks than any other Trade ins........He won't take the Ram 1500 Diesel on trade... Pure junk.....Dodge tried to charge me for a blown shock on a new truck with 2000 miles on it......
Posted By: sidepass Re: looking at a Tundra - 02/02/18
All my ford 150 friends have had transmission problems towing. Is that a thing of the past?
Originally Posted by KentuckyMountainMan

Not trying to be a A## hole.......... No way he has 500K on a Dodge with zero problems......The worst truck I have ever owned was a 2009 Ram 1500......The second worst was 2003 Dodge Ram.....My brother owns a Chevy Dealership......He has more problems with Ram trucks than any other Trade ins........He won't take the Ram 1500 Diesel on trade... Pure junk.....Dodge tried to charge me for a blown shock on a new truck with 2000 miles on it......

If you're not trying to be an ass%#@ then dont call me a liar. Yes he did get 500 MILES...not KM out of his first 5.7 Dodge. He bought the truck in AK so it was in miles. Didnt have an ounce of trouble out of that truck. The one he has now has 350 kilometres on it with only very minor problems. I was a mechanic in the US military back when the old Dodge 318 was around....those were one of the best engines ever built IMO. My son in law has the Dodge 5.7 too, it had close to 400 on it when he sold it, again no major problems. The 3.5 Ecoboost has serious problems, just google it...
500 miles is about right........He might have Got 500K out of it.......Never said he didn't!!!!!! but not with zero issues..... How many engines or rebuilds and transmissions rebuilds how many times did he rebuild the front end? Had to be at least 5 or 6 times........... He spent money on it to keeping it going......You said in your previous post zero issues....Now you say Minor issues.... Humm......

As far as 3.5 Ecoboost problems ...Lots of the 3.5s with 300 thousand trouble free miles...Google it....Ford sales more 3.5 Ecoboost F150s Than all other trucks combined...So naturally they will have a few problems......
Posted By: byd Re: looking at a Tundra - 02/02/18
Hey all of you this is supposed to be about Tundra's
Free country and forum......Who wants to talk only about Tundra's that is so boring......... crazy
Posted By: harv3589 Re: looking at a Tundra - 02/02/18
Just went thru this all myself...looked at all the 1/2 ton trucks to replace my Ram Power Wagon. Only one I didn’t consider was the Nissan...just to dam ugly.

I’ve owned a tundra before but couldn’t get by the crappy gas mileage that was about as bad as the 6.4 HEMI I was trying to get away from, plus the body on them is so poorly made and dents if you sneeze on it. The taco wasn’t much better really and reviews of them have slipped. The gmc and chev, I’ve owned both and not crazy about them anymore, they’ve fallen behind the times. I’ve never owned a Ford and did lots of reading on them and yes there are problems but they also sell almost 4x trucks when compared to Toyota. The new Gen 2 eco boost and the 10speed transmission has been getting great reviews. The gas mileage is about the best out there which was important. The aluminum body was a big plus to me since rust is a pet peeve of mine.

I ended up with a 2018 F150 Lariat super crew and love driving it. Lots of power and the 10 speed transmission is amazing.
Originally Posted by harv3589
Just went thru this all myself...looked at all the 1/2 ton trucks to replace my Ram Power Wagon. Only one I didn’t consider was the Nissan...just to dam ugly.

I’ve owned a tundra before but couldn’t get by the crappy gas mileage that was about as bad as the 6.4 HEMI I was trying to get away from, plus the body on them is so poorly made and dents if you sneeze on it. The taco wasn’t much better really and reviews of them have slipped. The gmc and chev, I’ve owned both and not crazy about them anymore, they’ve fallen behind the times. I’ve never owned a Ford and did lots of reading on them and yes there are problems but they also sell almost 4x trucks when compared to Toyota. The new Gen 2 eco boost and the 10speed transmission has been getting great reviews. The gas mileage is about the best out there which was important. The aluminum body was a big plus to me since rust is a pet peeve of mine.

I ended up with a 2018 F150 Lariat super crew and love driving it. Lots of power and the 10 speed transmission is amazing.

What kind of fuel mileage you getting?
Posted By: ribka Re: looking at a Tundra - 02/02/18
Went on ford forum

Too many issues and problems with the eco boost engine

If did a Ford 150 would go with proven V 8 but i keep my trucks over 150 k and put on around 30 k a year and expect good performance off road

500 miles is about right........He might have Got 500K out of it.......Never said he didn't!!!!!! but not with zero issues..... How many engines or rebuilds and transmissions rebuilds how many times did he rebuild the front end? Had to be at least 5 or 6 times........... He spent money on it to keeping it going......You said in your previous post zero issues....Now you say Minor issues.... Humm......

As far as 3.5 Ecoboost problems ...Lots of the 3.5s with 300 thousand trouble free miles...Google it....Ford sales more 3.5 Ecoboost F150s Than all other trucks combined...So naturally they will have a few problems......

By minor issues I meant minor. He had to put a heater core in it, and ball joints at 250K zero transmission or engine builds. I dont care what make or model you personally like, thats as good as your going to get with anything. Not sure what kind of miles guys put on where you live but up here its 100-miles just to get to town. A truck racks up miles in a hurry. Out in the oil patch there are a lot of trucks running with well over 200K miles without engine or transmission rebuilds, and a lot of them are Dodge rigs. Most of the hotshot companies run Dodges, although they do prefer the cummings, just because its a well known high milage engine.

No doubt there are some 3.5s out there that have been trouble free. There are also lots of those engines scattered all over the pavement...just google it. The service department where I bought mine told me that unlike other engines when the check engine light comes on in an ecoboost you better get it shut down quick. They said if you dont, theres a good chance you will be using a dust pan to pick up the pieces.They also told me they are doing about 1 ecoboost engine a week, usually its a timing chain issue.....total population of the Yukon is about 32000 people, so Im not buying Fords BS advertising...

There is a Toyota Tundra that reportedly went 1 million miles.....big write up in one of the truck magazines recently.
Posted By: 79S Re: looking at a Tundra - 02/02/18
My wife has a 2015 f150 with the 2.7 ecoboost with 36 gallon tank she gets 21 mpg over 700 mile driving range. I used two yrs ago to pull a 22 foot sled bed loaded with a 6x6 ranger and 4x4 ranger and a bed full of hunting gear. Avg 10-11 mpg and that truck didn’t miss a beat pulling the hills. That motor rated at 335 horsepower 385ft lbs of torque. I like the looks of the tundra but [bleep] my dodge 2500 with CTD gets better mileage than a tundra.

By minor issues I meant minor. He had to put a heater core in it, and ball joints at 250K zero transmission or engine builds. I dont care what make or model you personally like, thats as good as your going to get with anything. Not sure what kind of miles guys put on where you live but up here its 100-miles just to get to town. A truck racks up miles in a hurry. Out in the oil patch there are a lot of trucks running with well over 200K miles without engine or transmission rebuilds, and a lot of them are Dodge rigs. Most of the hotshot companies run Dodges, although they do prefer the cummings, just because its a well known high milage engine.

No doubt there are some 3.5s out there that have been trouble free. There are also lots of those engines scattered all over the pavement...just google it. The service department where I bought mine told me that unlike other engines when the check engine light comes on in an ecoboost you better get it shut down quick. They said if you dont, theres a good chance you will be using a dust pan to pick up the pieces.They also told me they are doing about 1 ecoboost engine a week, usually its a timing chain issue.....total population of the Yukon is about 32000 people, so Im not buying Fords BS advertising...

There is a Toyota Tundra that reportedly went 1 million miles.....big write up in one of the truck magazines recently.

I had probably one of the first Ford ecoboost in Alaska. 2011 with the 3.5 I had no issues with that truck. With that said I have several friends up here with 3.5 that had no issues as well. As of now from what I read the timing chain issue is with the 2011 3.5 which was the first yr of that motor in the f150.
Originally Posted by thin_man

Your evidence is 3 trucks? How many 4wd F150's has Ford sold since 2004? What years between 2004 and now didn't use these systems? Thanks
The engine draws a vacuum and using check valves, it pulls in the IWE's to disengage the 4wd not the brakes. Pretty simple system.

KMM, I did help a friend diagnose a hub trying to engage on his 2005. It was a bad IWE but to be fair, it had just over 200k on the original part.

Edit to add. I'm not suggesting they are totally trouble free. Just that the majority are without issue. Sorry if I worded incorrectly. I do know, I've changed more GM hub assemblies than Ford and I've been around far more Ford 4wd's than GM. That is all.

Yep 3 trucks in that short a period from the same dealership. Every single item in the vacumn system was changed. if your IWE's do engage accidentally the hubs have to be inspected, cleaned and sometimes replaced. The Dealer had the phugging thing for 60 + days . You obviously know chitt about how that system works, your simplistic explanation won't cut it. I am not going to get into minute detail , there are plenty of instances of this happening on F150 IWE systems just google.

The vacumn system does more then just engage hubs like maybe brake booster and emissions. I don't recall three Tundras at the dealer being bought back because their IWE's stopped working. grin Look it up and I am not posting on this anymore since apparently it is a nonissue with Fraud owners even though the vehicle was bought back. On the plus side had I traded the POS in I would have lost 10K immediately per KBB.
Posted By: VAhuntr Re: looking at a Tundra - 02/02/18
Went on ford forum

Too many issues and problems with the eco boost engine

If did a Ford 150 would go with proven V 8 but i keep my trucks over 150 k and put on around 30 k a year and expect good performance off road

If you get the Tundra you are getting a dated truck but IMO, you have the best odds of getting the most reliable truck. However, all the 1/2 ton trucks/suvs (and 3/4 ton and up) seem to be pretty darn reliable as a whole.
Ford is going to have a few more problems than others.....The are the most advanced Truck on the road.....All the other Manufactures will be playing catch up for years....While they kept turning out the same outdated trucks every year....Ford was spending Billions in research and development......If Tundra ever catches up I might buy one....Until then It is Ford for me...I just could not spend money on a outdated Truck..... One professional reviewer said it best!!!! the Tundra is old school 90s tech ....Which I can understand the appeal to some guys..But the styling just don't do it for me...It just looks Cartoonish....

Any one on a fence between Tundra and Ford should go get a new ford for a long term test drive and drive it to the Toyota Dealer and park them side by side and compare them...If you are scared of the Ecoboost buy the 5.0 hell of a motor and as reliable as the 5.7 Toyota motor and the same performance with great fuel economy ....

I rest my case..... Buy what turns your Crank wink
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: looking at a Tundra - 02/02/18
If they do that comparison, then they'll end up in a post-12 Dodge Ram in the 1/2 ton segment.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: looking at a Tundra - 02/02/18
Its a truck. Gas consumption should not be a consideration when buying.

If you want good mileage, but a civic.

That's what I did. 5.4L F150 is for hunting and taking momma out.

05 Accord is my commuting and work travel car. I drive enough reimbursable miles that I paid back what I had in it the first 9 months I owned it.
Posted By: KFWA Re: looking at a Tundra - 02/02/18
Transmissions and engines blowing up before 100K? I think Fords are bad, Dodge is worse but even with my opinion, how in the hell do you blow up a transmission or an engine before 100K miles? Are they just mashing the gas pedal every time they take off?

I drive like an old man for the most part and knock on wood, I've never lost an engine or a transmission before 150K on any auto I've owned - and that includes the schitty german ones.

Speaking of gas consumption in a Truck, last episode of Top Gear - whatever its called now on Amazon, they talked about the Ford F150 and how many are sold in the United States - in a poll taken among truck owners, gas consumption was rated 27th on a list of priorities they had for purchasing a truck.

It would rate a bit higher with me but not much - a truck is a tool to me. I don't want a truck for a daily. I want it to tow, carry and go places a car can't. Taking it to the grocery store, airport, on vacation or a night out on the town is the last thing I want to do with it.
I agree a guy shouldn't have any major issues before 100K especially when you consider the price they ask for new trucks now. Gas milage is a non issue for me. I want reliability. The Toyotas are clear winners in that category. They hold their value because of it. Over on trapperman they did a poll on the Toyota trucks and some of those guys had put some incredible high miles on multiple trucks. One thing I will give GMC is they are cheaper to fix than a Ford when they have a catastrophic failure.
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
If they do that comparison, then they'll end up in a post-12 Dodge Ram in the 1/2 ton segment.

That is some funny chit right there......... laugh I would buy the 90s tech Tundra first.....They should be somewhat reliable they have been using the same parts for 20 yrs.......Have you ever looked at a Tundra that was used as a work truck.....They flat out self destruct.....
Yep 3 trucks in that short a period from the same dealership. Every single item in the vacumn system was changed. if your IWE's do engage accidentally the hubs have to be inspected, cleaned and sometimes replaced. The Dealer had the phugging thing for 60 + days . You obviously know chitt about how that system works, your simplistic explanation won't cut it. I am not going to get into minute detail , there are plenty of instances of this happening on F150 IWE systems just google.

The vacumn system does more then just engage hubs like maybe brake booster and emissions. I don't recall three Tundras at the dealer being bought back because their IWE's stopped working. grin Look it up and I am not posting on this anymore since apparently it is a nonissue with Fraud owners even though the vehicle was bought back. On the plus side had I traded the POS in I would have lost 10K immediately per KBB.

November thru April time period so you would lose your wager. .

Unable to answer the questions presented. That figures. Still seems to think 3 trucks at one delearship, which is a very small fraction of 4wd F150's sold even at one dealer across a 6 month period qualifies as "most". You should've just said you have no idea what you're talking about. Only what some guys at a dealership told you. And yes, the vac system you mentioned for actuating 4WD is simple.
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: looking at a Tundra - 02/02/18
I agree a guy shouldn't have any major issues before 100K especially when you consider the price they ask for new trucks now. Gas milage is a non issue for me. I want reliability. The Toyotas are clear winners in that category. They hold their value because of it. Over on trapperman they did a poll on the Toyota trucks and some of those guys had put some incredible high miles on multiple trucks. One thing I will give GMC is they are cheaper to fix than a Ford when they have a catastrophic failure.

That is all part of the Toyota warm and fuzzy fable I fell for for years. You go to the oil patch and look at all the trucks with 100,000 + miles on them that are only a couple years old and you’ll see what’s what. This scare tactic that a F series, Ram or GM won’t make it over 100,000 Miles is nonsense. The idea that motors and tranny’s all blow up on big 3 trucks before 100,000 miles is nonsense as well. I monitored the bigger f150 forums when I was shopping and in the rare case of true engine failures in a newer f150 8 or 9 times out of 10 it was a truck that had been tuned with some aftermarket bullshit that changed the parameters for timing, fuel or air. Plus those forums are mostly for two types of vehicle owners, the ones that want to modify something on their truck or the ones that want to bitch. The people that are happily chugging along driving their trucks don’t take time to post up positive experiences. The truth is that so many fewer Tundras are sold than Ford GM or Ram that it’s not really statistically fare to compare. Feel free to spend your money how you see fit but if a guy spent a few days with a Tundra and a few days with a newer F150 you’d have to convince yourself of the warm and fuzzy BS about Toyota’s lasting forever to buy the Tundra. Been there done that!
Posted By: KFWA Re: looking at a Tundra - 02/02/18
everyone has an opinion, and you may be right - that there are so many F150's out there in comparison to Toyotas that nobody really notices the hundred of thousands of them that have 300K miles with little effort but there is a bunch of them that have problems after 150K or whatever the magic number is - head gaskets, seals, synchros, whatever - and for many people, the belief is you're not going to deal with that in getting to 300K in a Toyota.

It would be interesting to be able to compare data, but I doubt it exists so we deal with anecdotal evidence and the market place determining perceived value.
Posted By: broomd Re: looking at a Tundra - 02/02/18
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Its a truck. Gas consumption should not be a consideration when buying.

If you want good mileage, but a civic.

That's what I did. 5.4L F150 is for hunting and taking momma out.

05 Accord is my commuting and work travel car. I drive enough reimbursable miles that I paid back what I had in it the first 9 months I owned it.

laugh
What's acceptable to you? 2 mpg? After all, "it's a truck"...

I have a 40mpg civic in the garage next to my Toyota, and that truck gives me 20+ mpg.
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: looking at a Tundra - 02/02/18
I agree, I just know that 2 out of the 3 Tundras I had sustained major drive train repairs well before hitting the 30,000 mile mark so it’s not like the reputation for Toyota’s upheld for me on the Tundras. However my last Tacoma had 160,000 miles on it when I sold it and it never had a major repair.
I agree, I just know that 2 out of the 3 Tundras I had sustained major drive train repairs well before hitting the 30,000 mile mark so it’s not like the reputation for Toyota’s upheld for me on the Tundras. However my last Tacoma had 160,000 miles on it when I sold it and it never had a major repair.

I can completely understand how you feel. I would feel the same way. We can only go by our own experiences. Mine has been bad with Ford, even though Im driving one now and havent had any problems the only reason I bought it is because I got a really good deal. I know guys with GMCs that have had great luck, but my son didnt, and another friend is fighting with the GM dealer because his new truck is guzzling oil. Back in the early 2000s I had a group of guys that came fishing with us every summer. They were engineers at Ford. They gave me an idea of how things work, and make no mistake, Ford expects to make money in their service departments. Im sure all manufacturers do. All I know is that where I live Toyota has a much better track record than anything else.
Posted By: semi Re: looking at a Tundra - 02/02/18
No doubt toyota is a good truck/suv.. i just traded my sequioa which had 100k in miles and nothing go wrong with it for 7 years. That being said i did not buy a new one. MPG needs to get better on the 5.7 iforce. Best i ever got was around 17 doing 60mph in 80 temps. I ended up buying a Tahoe and i have seen 23.6 mpg which is huge step forward. Didn't want GM, but i am saving money with the 5.3 which tows just as good with far better mpg.. if Toyota could come out better mpg i would consider them again.
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: looking at a Tundra - 02/02/18
I always get a chuckle out of guys that say “it’s a truck, the fuel mileage shouldn’t matter”. What do they do with them, sit and look at them in the garage? I have a 99 dodge diesel that was my primary truck until a few years ago, I bought it new and it’s got 385k on it now. Doing the rough math I’ve spent almost twice as much in fuel as the truck cost new. If it’d been a gas truck you could add about $10k to the fuel price.

If fuel mileage doesn’t matter to you then you’re not using it much.
I always get a chuckle out of guys that say “it’s a truck, the fuel mileage shouldn’t matter”. What do they do with them, sit and look at them in the garage? I have a 99 dodge diesel that was my primary truck until a few years ago, I bought it new and it’s got 385k on it now. Doing the rough math I’ve spent almost twice as much in fuel as the truck cost new. If it’d been a gas truck you could add about $10k to the fuel price.

Thats just like the 4-stroke snowmobile argument......I've been down that road too. When shop rates sit north of $130 bucks an hour before parts, reliability will save you many times over what a few extra miles per gallon will...
Posted By: harv3589 Re: looking at a Tundra - 02/02/18
Originally Posted by harv3589

What kind of fuel mileage you getting?

Right now it’s at 19 mpg but mostly city driving and winter gas....I only have 2300 kms on it
Posted By: 4winds Re: looking at a Tundra - 02/02/18
Can't remember the last time we had a good truck debating thread!

OP - Go get the Tundra and enjoy it. You might have problems with it, you might not. That's the way it is with all of them.

We'll never see the truck of our dreams that was meant to survive in some hard bush anyway, because they make them like they make most production rifles today, what the buyer wants. Plastic rifles abound because they offer accuracy at the cost of everything else and it's what the majority demands. The trucks made today amongst all the manufacturers are made to satisfy the guy who washes his pretty truck every Saturday and rides, sounds, feels and acts more like a car meant for asphalt. And, comes with a complimentary Browning buck sticker decal for the back window!

Thats just like the 4-stroke snowmobile argument......I've been down that road too. When shop rates sit north of $130 bucks an hour before parts, reliability will save you many times over what a few extra miles per gallon will...

4 stroke is the way to go in the utility sleds
Originally Posted by 4winds

OP - Go get the Tundra and enjoy it. You might have problems with it, you might not. That's the way it is with all of them.

We'll never see the truck of our dreams that was meant to survive in some hard bush anyway, because they make them like they make most production rifles today, what the buyer wants. Plastic rifles abound because they offer accuracy at the cost of everything else and it's what the majority demands. The trucks made today amongst all the manufacturers are made to satisfy the guy who washes his pretty truck every Saturday and rides, sounds, feels and acts more like a car meant for asphalt. And, comes with a complimentary Browning buck sticker decal for the back window!

Now...... Why did you have to bring the Browning Buck sticker in to it? grin

Again, that’s if you don’t use it much.

I’ve got three vehicles, a 2016 Tundra, a 2014 Camry, & the 99 dodge diesel. I picked all of them for their reputations for longevity, I have no use for unreliable vehicles. That said, the mileage on the tundra is terrible and it needs to be fixed. The diesel got 21 mpg over the time I’ve had it, the Camry gets 33. It’s notbtoo much to ask to have reliability AND decent mileage. The eco boost mileage is appealing but I’m not willing to deal with Ford’s crap quality.

You pick the best choice at the time and the Tundra was it for me in 2016 even with the bad mileage. I want both reliability and decent mileage, I refuse to buy the line about needing to suck it up, a truck needs to offer both.

So, you used it for work or just a daily driver? If it's a daily driver you could have bought a Honda Civic, used, put that mileage on it and bought an extra truck, boat, mistress...

I use my truck for daily things but just about everything I do is within 5 miles, so mileage is not that important. If it needs hauling, pulling or killing, my truck comes in awfully handy. My wife's hybrid does the big miles. Our gas bill is hardly a concern, even for someone as frugal as me.

LOL! Please tell me you didn't get the blue oval tattoo for your butt cheeks? Complimentary, of course! whistle grin

I use my truck for daily things but just about everything I do is within 5 miles, so mileage is not that important. If it needs hauling, pulling or killing, my truck comes in awfully handy. My wife's hybrid does the big miles. Our gas bill is hardly a concern, even for someone as frugal as me.

I don’t live within 5 miles of anything, some of us aren’t surburbanites. I have a Camry for commuting to work (250 miles each way), but sometimes you need a truck for long distances too. Ask the owner of an OTR trucking outfit if fuel mileage doesn’t matter because “it’s a truck”.
A reliable Drive train does not equal...a quality Truck........I have a Polaris Ranger Atv ...It has been 100% reliable no mechanical break downs 325 Hard Hours in east KY Mountains..........The thing is still a piece of Junk...and the rest of it is Falling apart ...But it runs like a top.......Same with the 2 of the 3 Tundra"s I have owned..... The 2006 was a very very good truck...The 07 was junk thin paint, broke tail gate thin plastic interior... the 2013 was a lemon and was in the shop weekly for 2 months...It had The flex fuel issue and the air injection pump went out .....Google it......

LOL! Please tell me you didn't get the blue oval tattoo for your butt cheeks? Complimentary, of course! whistle grin

I wanted to....But the wife said No...... frown

I don’t live within 5 miles of anything, some of us aren’t surburbanites. I have a Camry for commuting to work (250 miles each way), but sometimes you need a truck for long distances too. Ask the owner of an OTR trucking outfit if fuel mileage doesn’t matter because “it’s a truck”.

Looks like you're doing exactly what I pointed out earlier that made better sense when it came to gas mileage. So, at this point the point is moot?

An owner of an OTR outfit certainly does, and gladly surcharges the [bleep] out of everyone afterwards, which is passed on down the line to us consumers! But, I'll betcha he's driving a Toyota Camry 250 miles round trip to the office each day to worry about OTR truck fuel costs!

I wanted to....But the wife said No...... frown

Ha! It would be better if you convinced her to take the complimentary gift on your behalf!

That damned wedding cake sure kills their fun side, doesn't it?
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: looking at a Tundra - 02/03/18
In the oil patch, it's not too common to see a workman's Ford 150. Rams are everywhere, from 1/2 ton on up. They get beat into the ground by the workers, and keep on running. And a Tundra? What's that?
Posted By: ribka Re: looking at a Tundra - 02/03/18
I just sold my 2012 Dodge 2500

Wanted to like it but had to take in to get things fixed. Had to replace front end, very common, at 60k and cost $2000
Getting to be too expensive to own so switching to gas rig.
© 24hourcampfire