Home
From Savannah, GA:

SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) -
We could soon become one step closer to fighting gun violence in Savannah.

House Bill 657 has passed through the Georgia house and could soon make it a felony for anyone in the state to give firearms to a convicted felon.

Leaders in our area have heard the public’s pleas to end gun violence, and that fight has ascended to the state level and seems to be making good ground.

Back in December, local officials stood in front of the Chatham County Courthouse to announce the filing of House Bill 657, which makes it a felony for anyone to knowingly give a gun to a convicted felon.

This bill passed with majority bipartisan support, 156 to 3. It could be what Savannah needs to slow down gun violence.

Representative Jesse Petrea spoke about what the next step in this process would be, and says another vote would have to take place.

"It has to now go to the senate, where it will go through committee on the senate side. So, it will go to their public safety committee," Petrea said.

Petrea says he is fairly confident House Bill 657 will pass.
So it's legal to give a weapon to a felon now?
Well I feel safer now.
Originally Posted by 257wby

Not that it's legal,but now will be a felony.
I dont suppose anyone noticed it is already a serious felony for the felon to receive the gun?
Just makes more criminals.
Originally Posted by jnyork
I dont suppose anyone noticed it is already a serious felony for the felon to receive the gun?

sssh, they're helping and we will let them wink
Feel good legislation.
Hope this law is strictly and with manditoriocity enforced against the straw buyers out there.
there is soooooo much stupid in that law it can't be addressed
which law is going to work? it's a felony law !, 2 , 3, 4, ......................?
dumber than a box of rocks
How about making a law that anyone calling for gun control, gets their knives taken away. ...and spoons too; they'll make you fat!

DMc
Originally Posted by jnyork

Exactly, In fact, it's illegal to give a gun to a person who you know is otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm. Yup, this law will certainly curb gun violence!
make sure to tell the lesbo's and booboo faced talk show dicks so they'll get off our backs already.
Are there not penalties for transferring to, a felon, a firearm now?
It's already a Federal felony. About time your state caught up.
We can't expect the Fed's to do what they are supposed to so the State needs to act. It should be a no brainer but it isn't.

kwg
Dumber than a box of rocks.
It's already a federal felony to transfer possession of a firearm to a felon, and another felony for the felon to receive it.

I'm all for this new law! It makes dumb people feel safer, and does nothing to change the status quo.
Originally Posted by 4winds
Well I feel safer now.

Me too......problem solved.....now can we get back to figuring out what to do about the dam wet backs?
Lemme' see if I got this straight..........They are making a law, that makes it against the law, to do what's already against the law?

Well, I'll be dammed. I didn't know it was that simple. Democraps...........gaddamm geniuses I tell ya.
What about birthday presents? And maybe Christmas? Do we want to discriminate that badly?

Mike
My neighbors has kids that are convicted felons. They come and deer hunt on his land, with him supplying the guns. They even buy deer tags, and check the deer in. I think that's pretty brazen.
Geez, once again one part of this is illegal already... but we gotta make it illegal multiple times as if that will do anything....

So to follow this thought somewhat we probably need to get rid of the sheriffs and the FBI as they screwed it up worse than anyone... shoudl be illegal for them to ignore and to not stop murders I believe.
Hey, let's pass an unlawful gun law that's already in place! First of all, "Shall not be infringed". Second, laws don't stop criminals; laws create criminals. Third, and you guys are your own worst enemies, really, most of you are actually thinking it is a good idea to end-around the Constitution, and you seem to think this is a good thing. If it wasn't so pathetic, it would be sad.
The only gun control laws the Progressive Fascists want is to ban all firearms.

How about making it a federal felony to abuse the 2nd amendment? The punishment should be 30 years in federal prison. So sever that criminals would stop using firearms.
There are several sources for this, but the average American unknowingly commits 3 felonies a day. Do any of you have any inkling just how many laws to which you are subject, laws that could be used to make YOU into a convicted felon whenever you ended up on someone's radar? You imbeciles don't know how this works.

http://thecrux.com/the-more-corrupt-the-state-the-more-numerous-the-laws/
HuntnShoot,
Just to clarify, you do feel that felons should be allowed to buy, receive, own, and use guns? I assume you also feel it should be legal to provide guns to convicted felons? I believe this is a law which is a waste of time but it is a law which will have no effect on legitimate, legal, gun owners and users. This is exactly the kind of law which gun owners should get behind. In fact the passage of redundant laws aimed at established criminals can only be beneficial when it comes to the deflection of the efforts of anti gunners. Now, everyone should know the there is no law which will have any effect on the unlawful; especially when any charges under the law are likely to be plea bargained away as a matter of course but some effort has to be made to derail the anti-gun forces. Most anti-gun laws are aimed directly at legitmate, mostly law-abiding (No one is totally law-abiding) gun owners and shooters. At least this sort of law is not. That it is a complete waste of time is obvious but it can serve a purpose. GD
Just imagine how much worse crime would be if GCA60 had not banned felons from owning guns..
I hope its a felony to knowingly transfer a firearm to a felon, If its a felony to unknowingly transfer a firearm to a felon, then its a blow to a FTF transfers to any party you don't know well.
I'll be happy to clarify: read the Second Amendment. It's cut and dry. Now read the Tenth. Now, understand that no element of government can regulate a right in any way, or it ceases to be a right and becomes a government-granted privilege, like driving on a public road, for example. In order for a state government to overstep the boundaries placed upon government in the Constitution, it must secede.

Now, if you read the link, or simply google 3 felonies a day, you'll see that the average gun owner ALREADY IS a felon. You are subject to over 1 million laws. Do you have any idea what most of them are? So yes, I am stating that felons have their gun rights intact, simply by saying that the right exists, even for current felons. If you want to argue that CONVICTED felons are the ones who have lost their rights, you've argued first that man can take away what God gives, and second, that your personal prohibition to gun rights is a prosecutor away. Good luck with that. The Constitution restricts THE GOVERNMENT. The rights belong to THE PEOPLE. You've all let the law be turned on its head, and now you are actually advocating for your own unlawful disarming. Imbeciles.
How many of those shooters were felons? Most legally bought their firearms. How many of them had prior mental problems and were treated for it? It's my understanding that a background check does not include information on mental disorder. THAT information needs to be included in a background check.
Originally Posted by Longhunter_1
How many of those shooters were felons? Most legally bought their firearms. How many of them had prior mental problems and were treated for it? It's my understanding that a background check does not include information on mental disorder. THAT information needs to be included in a background check.

the problem with that is that "mental disorder" is subjective to another persons perspective. mainly a psych dr. and most of them are loonies themselves.
though not many here will admit it Huntnshoot is 100% correct in his premise.
Everything including jaywalking can now be made into a felony. That is the problem, along with overcharging any lawbreaking. How about swift justice for people, and I mean justice, not what laws can be applied or misapplied.

I would let certain former felons get rights back after a period of time.
How many of them had prior mental problems and were treated for it? It's my understanding that a background check does not include information on mental disorder. THAT information needs to be included in a background check.

No. You want a person found too incompetent to own a firearm? Has to go to court.

We've already seen libs move to take vet's rights away for life by claiming PTSD, we've seen them try to take Social Security recipients' rights away as being incompetent because they have their check mailed to somebody else, libs have made moves to have people declared permanently incompetent for grieving after the loss of a loved one, we have states trying to pass laws allowing a "near relative" or police officer to declare you are a danger and automatically take 2A rights away without due process (I mean, nobody has ever had an evil ex, right?).

No more. Psychologist and court and the right for a wrongly accused person to sue for violation of rights.
I remember some time back in the 60's that you could purchase a hand gun if you hadn't been convicted of a felony in the last 3 or maybe it was 5 years. I don't remember. That law changed, probably sometime after the Brady Bill. Now if you were convicted of a felony 50 or 60 years ago, you're still a felon and can't own or purchase a gun.

On the other hand if you've been committed to a mental institution, you can go out and buy a gun as soon as you're released back into society.

Trump says we have to fix the background check system....he's right IMO
key word....knowingly....how do you prove that?
Originally Posted by 257wby

LMAO
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I'll be happy to clarify: read the Second Amendment. It's cut and dry. Now read the Tenth. Now, understand that no element of government can regulate a right in any way, or it ceases to be a right and becomes a government-granted privilege, like driving on a public road, for example. In order for a state government to overstep the boundaries placed upon government in the Constitution, it must secede.

Now, if you read the link, or simply google 3 felonies a day, you'll see that the average gun owner ALREADY IS a felon. You are subject to over 1 million laws. Do you have any idea what most of them are? So yes, I am stating that felons have their gun rights intact, simply by saying that the right exists, even for current felons. If you want to argue that CONVICTED felons are the ones who have lost their rights, you've argued first that man can take away what God gives, and second, that your personal prohibition to gun rights is a prosecutor away. Good luck with that. The Constitution restricts THE GOVERNMENT. The rights belong to THE PEOPLE. You've all let the law be turned on its head, and now you are actually advocating for your own unlawful disarming. Imbeciles.

First off God didn't give man the right to do anything, man gives those rights to himself. Second, we have already seen that laws are only effective if the governed choose to accept said laws. We all know that the passage of virtually any law will have little or no effect on the behavior of people intent on committing a crime. If we accept this, and we who are practical know it to be so, we can also recognise that the passage of any such law is window dressing only. Nobody is advocating for their own unlawful disarming, they are advocating for window dressing which may prevent them from having to demonstrate whether or not a law is acceptable. You are advocating refusing to accept that we are in trouble and that beating our chests will do the trick. That's a little imbecilic too. GD
Originally Posted by greydog
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

First off God didn't give man the right to do anything, man gives those rights to himself. Second, we have already seen that laws are only effective if the governed choose to accept said laws. We all know that the passage of virtually any law will have little or no effect on the behavior of people intent on committing a crime. If we accept this, and we who are practical know it to be so, we can also recognise that the passage of any such law is window dressing only. Nobody is advocating for their own unlawful disarming, they are advocating for window dressing which may prevent them from having to demonstrate whether or not a law is acceptable. You are advocating refusing to accept that we are in trouble and that beating our chests will do the trick. That's a little imbecilic too. GD

Someday, I hope someone takes you outback and teaches you the difference between s h i t and shinola. Until then, I'd prefer that I define my rights, where they come from, and what exactly constitutes an imbecile.

Given the corrupt, dishonest and tyrannical nature of Obama and Hillary there is no way that we can trust them not to abuse the power to disarm citizens. They would proudly claim that no one should own a firearm and put every citizens on the list of those who can't own/purchase firearms. Their progressive fascist followers, including judges, would cheer them on. I remember how Obama decided to make recess appointments when the Senate was in recess. The progressive fascists didn't object to this unconstitutional act. They cheered it.

As all Progressives are mentally ill that would preclude them from owning firearms. Are you ready for that?
What happens when the powers that be deem that anyone who wants to possess a firearm must be mentally unstable, therefore they cannot have one.
© 24hourcampfire