Home

Nikolas Cruz was a known threat. Known by the administrators of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. It’s a clear case where a known dangerous student was not reported to the police. Why?

Because back in 2013, the Broward County School Board adopted a program where they don’t relay information to police about troubled students.

NPR reported in Fla. School District Trying To Curb School-To-Prison Pipeline;

It’s a move away from so-called “zero tolerance” policies that require schools to refer even minor misdemeanors to the police. Critics call it a “school to prison pipeline.”

Under a new program adopted by the Broward County School District, non-violent misdemeanors — even those that involve alcohol, marijuana or drug paraphernalia — will now be handled by the schools instead of the police.

Cruz was banned from carrying a backpack at school after bullets were found in his backpack. Cruz was expelled from MSD last year after a fight with his ex-girlfriend’s new boyfriend.

Non-violent misdemeanors? Even so, red flags were flying.

Again, the Broward County School Board has an official policy requiring that they don’t tell the police about non-violent incidents with troubled youth.

“There were problems with him last year threatening students, and I guess he was asked to leave campus,” Maths teacher Jim Gard told The Miami Herald.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...ver-reported-nikolas-cruz-to-the-police/

Coincidentally, I recall there is a similarity to the school record of Trayvon Martin.

He was connected to home robberies and some of the stolen jewelry was discovered in his school locker. That evidence could not be given to the local police.

And the gun is at fault.
".... School District Trying To Curb School-To-Prison Pipeline..."

So in effect they choose the "school to morgue pipeline" in it's place.

I hope this story gets very long legs. Lawsuits won against a large number of "Progressive" Liberal.... "social justice" bureaucrats would make an even better story.
But, but, but that is profiling and stuff!
Great, now the school system knows how to handle criminal justice issues better than the police, courts and probation!
Originally Posted by Sako76
Great, now the school system knows how to handle criminal justice issues better than the police, courts and probation!

Self appointed professionals abound.

kwg
And the Superintendent was praised for the policy. Jamacian born and worked in the Chicago School System. Hmmmmm.
My youngest sister graduated from Douglas. She is 19 and now at FSU. My Father still lives in Parkland.
The power that the school system wields there is not fathomable in most areas.
They had the power to remove him.

THE SCHOOL RESOURCE OFFICERS ARE BROWARD COUNTY DEPUTIES!!!!

They knew who h was.
They knew he was a problem.
They are the ones who listened to students accusations for a year about him carrying and selling knives.
They are the ones who should have pushed the issue up.

Yes, the FBI were informed.
Yes, the school board had info.

But there are two men, sworn police, who had multiple direct contact with Cruz and did nothing to alert that he was a potential problem.

Much of this can be attributed to the multiple small agencies in the area. He lived in Parkland, Coral springs, ect.
So county and city were not working together with FBI or School board an social services.
Originally Posted by ringworm
My youngest sister graduated from Douglas. She is 19 and now at FSU. My Father still lives in Parkland.

They knew who h was.
They are the ones who listened to students accusations for a year about him carrying and selling knives.

But there are two men, sworn police, who had multiple direct contact with Cruz and did nothing to alert that he was a potential problem.

Much of this can be attributed to the multiple small agencies in the area. He lived in Parkland, Coral springs, ect.
So county and city were not working together with FBI or School board an social services.

The FBI was informed, the local police department was informed, and the school board was informed. Who else should they have informed?
In the end, folks in a given district, get the schools they deserve, because they elect the board. The whole gun issue is misdirection to deflect blame. The board, the administration, the local police, sheriff's office and the FBI. The flames are then fanned by the msm.
The man ( superintendent ) lied on national TV when asked if there was any signs. He said " no". Good luck finding that interview on tape.

Take care, Willie
Originally Posted by doubletap

They knew who h was.

The FBI was informed, the local police department was informed, and the school board was informed. Who else should they have informed?

I'm informed that millions of people in this country are criminals or mentally ill and I have reason to believe that most of them will commit more crimes and do crazy things.
Given what's being reported I wouldn't be surprised to see a copy cat repetition of this incident. I certainly wouldn't want to have a student in that school system.
It's a.basic instinct...predators always go for the easiest prey.
Originally Posted by doubletap

They knew who h was.

The parents of the other students.

If they had known, maybe something would have been done.

If they did know and did nothing, then this is on them.
Not that I disagree with any of the above posts. But I find the irony overwhelming. Zero Tolerance policies have been around for a while and they have been widely criticized on the internet. Particularly here on the Campfire as replacing "common sense". Mainly by idiots who have no idea how they even work. But the 1st time school officials uses what they think was a more "common sense" approach and it backfires in their faces they are criticized for not following zero tolerance policies.

I've always supported the zero tolerance policies because unlike most internet commando's I understand how they work. Any time a kid does certain things at school, such as having a knife, it is reported to police who investigate. Schools do not have the resources to determine if it was an honest mistake, or a bigger problem. Normally the kid isn't allowed back to school until after the investigation which typically takes 2-3 days.

If LE determine it was a good kid who made an honest mistake they don't press charges and the kid comes back to school. The 2-3 days the kid is out of school are considered suspension for a minor rule violation and life goes on.

If LE does determine there was a real threat they take over and the kid is expelled from school.

Over the years I've seen dozens of stories posted about some poor kid who made an honest mistake and showed up with a knife at school and how he was a victim of stupid zero tolerance policies. The problem with these stories is that the kids, their parents and friends are free to say ANYTHING they want to the press. The schools, because of privacy laws, simply cannot comment and let us hear "the rest of the story". I've NEVER known of a kid who wasn't treated correctly after an incident like this.

There is no way to say how many, but I'm certain many such incidents have been prevented by catching a problem early by using the zero tolerance policies.
I'm at a loss on all this. The school I went to NEVER involved LE. Even if they found drugs in your locker. We didn't have any shootings. Just about every sin that this kids supposedly committed happened on a regular basis, mostly with no repercussion.

-Bringing knives to school. Check
-Bringing ammo to school (And even guns in the parking lot). Check
-Killing vermin. Check
-Threatening/fighting over girls. Check
-Yes, I even remember kids threatening the schools. Check
-Drugs in school. Check

You can add to that a bunch of bullying that would never fly today. There used to be gang fights after school. And, at least by today's standards, EVERYONE was racist.

All this stuff and more happened and I don't ever remember anyone shooting up a school. I am dumbfounded as to what has changed so radically that it requires our schools to be like prisons.
it's no accident that educators and government schools are in the forefront in the fight to kill the US Constitution.

Very informative post..and I agree. Notice how liberals always have a phrase or a jingle like “school-to-prison-pipeline” that’s meant to cast kind thoughts on their efforts —- efforts to deny evil for what it is.
Originally Posted by JMR40
Not that I disagree with any of the above posts. But I find the irony overwhelming. Zero Tolerance policies have been around for a while and they have been widely criticized on the internet. Particularly here on the Campfire as replacing "common sense". Mainly by idiots who have no idea how they even work. But the 1st time school officials uses what they think was a more "common sense" approach and it backfires in their faces they are criticized for not following zero tolerance policies.

I've always supported the zero tolerance policies because unlike most internet commando's I understand how they work. Any time a kid does certain things at school, such as having a knife, it is reported to police who investigate. Schools do not have the resources to determine if it was an honest mistake, or a bigger problem. Normally the kid isn't allowed back to school until after the investigation which typically takes 2-3 days.

If LE determine it was a good kid who made an honest mistake they don't press charges and the kid comes back to school. The 2-3 days the kid is out of school are considered suspension for a minor rule violation and life goes on.

If LE does determine there was a real threat they take over and the kid is expelled from school.

Over the years I've seen dozens of stories posted about some poor kid who made an honest mistake and showed up with a knife at school and how he was a victim of stupid zero tolerance policies. The problem with these stories is that the kids, their parents and friends are free to say ANYTHING they want to the press. The schools, because of privacy laws, simply cannot comment and let us hear "the rest of the story". I've NEVER known of a kid who wasn't treated correctly after an incident like this.

There is no way to say how many, but I'm certain many such incidents have been prevented by catching a problem early by using the zero tolerance policies.

Bull [bleep].

Zero tolerance is a policy that gives teachers and the school an OUT for not teaching right from wrong and not punishing the offenders.

When my son was in High school he was on the basketball team, he was a bench sitter as he was not very good.

He was a [bleep] basketball player, but he was not a pussy.

During the bus ride home from an out of town game, the star of the team and one other player "Started" and altercation and got physical with my son. It ended badly for the star of the team.

Zero tolerance dictated that all those involved got the same punishment and the same school suspension time, regardless of, you started it, or who was on the "Defense". Can you imagine what America would be like if those of us that protect ourselves and our families from harm with a firearm were to suffer from the same Zero Tolerance policies of the school systems.

I went to the school and had a chat with the super. He admitted that my son was attacked and defended himself, but Zero Tolerance dictated that all involved were guilty and would suffer the same punishment.

I asked this POS, what he would do if I came across his desk and started pounding knots on his worthless head. He of course said he would call the police and have me arrested. I said, good idea, and when the police get here, who do you think they are going to arrest for assault, me,you, or both of us. He said you, you attacked me.

I said correct, my son will show up for class tomorrow morning.
This zero tolerance crap is B.S. and has led to some weird results in the past, most of which have been mocked on the ‘fire.

You guys can’t even make up your own minds.
Thanks for posting this! I have passed this along to many of my friends. Considering all the concern about the possibility of school shootings for the school not to report the killer bringing bullets to a school is simply negligence. They are likely to pay dearly in a court of law for this, and rightfully so. The tragic part is that because of their "touchy feely, feel good" mentality numerous innocent kids are dead. What a shame.
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
Thanks for posting this! I have passed this along to many of my friends. Considering all the concern about the possibility of school shootings for the school not to report the killer bringing bullets to a school is simply negligence. They are likely to pay dearly in a court of law for this, and rightfully so. The tragic part is that because of their "touchy feely, feel good" mentality numerous innocent kids are dead. What a shame.
The LEO's, Feebs, Superintendent and School Board won't pay a thing. It will be paid for by insurance which is paid for by the taxpayers in the case of local law enforcement and the schools.
Yup. It's everybody's fault but the guy who did it.
Originally Posted by JMR40

Your problem with this post is that this policy, in the superintendents owners was not about common sense, it was about not having so many black students arrested
The vast majority of the condemnation of zero tolerance is directed at the incidents where some kid chews his humus sandwich (peanut butter is not allowed in schools anymore) into the shape of a gun and gets suspended for it. Not when some trouble making kid with obvious signs of mental instability breaks serious rules. There is a difference.
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
The vast majority of the condemnation of zero tolerance is directed at the incidents where some kid chews his humus sandwich (peanut butter is not allowed in schools anymore) into the shape of a gun and gets suspended for it. Not when some trouble making kid with obvious signs of mental instability breaks serious rules. There is a difference.

Exactly. A zero-tolerance policy removes the requirement for school employees to think. It's not an either/or situation with no middle ground.

Innocuous actions that are typical of "play" by children is different from felonious actions prior to some schitbird killing 17.

Shocking that members are unable to process the difference.

Originally Posted by ironbender

Nikolas Cruz was a known threat. Known by the administrators of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. It’s a clear case where a known dangerous student was not reported to the police. Why?

Because back in 2013, the Broward County School Board adopted a program where they don’t relay information to police about troubled students.

NPR reported in Fla. School District Trying To Curb School-To-Prison Pipeline;

It’s a move away from so-called “zero tolerance” policies that require schools to refer even minor misdemeanors to the police. Critics call it a “school to prison pipeline.”

Under a new program adopted by the Broward County School District, non-violent misdemeanors — even those that involve alcohol, marijuana or drug paraphernalia — will now be handled by the schools instead of the police.

Cruz was banned from carrying a backpack at school after bullets were found in his backpack. Cruz was expelled from MSD last year after a fight with his ex-girlfriend’s new boyfriend.

Non-violent misdemeanors? Even so, red flags were flying.

Again, the Broward County School Board has an official policy requiring that they don’t tell the police about non-violent incidents with troubled youth.

“There were problems with him last year threatening students, and I guess he was asked to leave campus,” Maths teacher Jim Gard told The Miami Herald.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...ver-reported-nikolas-cruz-to-the-police/

"Nikolas Cruz was a known threat. Known by the administrators of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. It’s a clear case where a known dangerous student was not reported to the police. Why?

"Because back in 2013, the Broward County School Board adopted a program where they don’t relay information to police about troubled students."

It was more then just the Broward County School Board - the police (as I understand it) called on his home 39 times (?) but no action was taken. I wonder how those officers and Broward County Child Services feel now? Off, course, we all know it was the gun's fault, not those who gave him a pass.
Originally Posted by bellydeep
This zero tolerance crap is B.S. and has led to some weird results in the past, most of which have been mocked on the ‘fire.

You guys can’t even make up your own minds.

I have to agree. Zero tolerance is a simplistic method of covering the school board's azz, and removing any and all need to actually handle a given situation with thought and wisdom. ZT does not work anywhere it is used. Not with drunk driving, not with drug issues, not with school discipline issues.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Yup. It's everybody's fault but the guy who did it.

Precisely, While there is no doubt that the school and the FBI made some very poor decisions the blame rests squarely on the Schitbirds shoulders.
The Broward Country sheriff and the school principal both said they don't know why Cruz was expelled last year. I'm pretty sure they both know.
© 24hourcampfire