Home
I'll freely admit I'm good for about 3 chords and a cloud of dust myself. Was good enough for the girls when I was in my 20's, good enough for my kids now.

Just put away the Seagull M6 for the night, bought it a couple weeks ago for a "beat around" guitar. I've also got a vintage Harmony made southern jumbo(1973 S1221) that is off getting repaired.

So who plays, what's your favorite guitar?
I wish i could. Enough to sit around a campfire at least.

But alas. I’m left handed. Same with golf. Never knew any lefty to learn from.
Ultimateguitar.com had decent tabs way back.

Poorly. Some piano, many years of percussion, I build and play Hammered Dulcimer, but my weapon of choice is a harmonica.
I have a seagull s6 spruce great guitar for the money
30 years this year.
I do. I play (jam) with another fella who plays a mean lap dulcimer. We play at an Italian restaurant every Tue. evening.........They feed us. grin Also jam on Sun. mornings at a Flea Market. Mainly play Appalachian Music....fiddle tunes. Once in a while a lady comes and sings, then it changes to Folk, Country, Bluegrass, and a few other genre thrown in.

I mainly play a Crafters of Tennessee Mahogany guitar, but if the crowd is going to be loud then I bring a hand crafted Gernandt that Bob Gernandt made for me. Lots of projection out of that one. I do have a couple of lawsuit Takamine guitars. A very nice maple 6 string and a mahogany 12 string. I love the sound of mahogany.
I'm not the greatest player any more, age and hand cramps, but I love to play and love the sound of good sounding wood and steel.

3 chords will sure let you play a lot of songs Cowboy Tim.
Originally Posted by hookeye
Ultimateguitar.com had decent tabs way back.

I've got that site bookmarked, use it all the time. I mean where else would you find Ray Wylie Hubbard tabs?

I've got an old "Mel Bay" lesson book a snagged at a garage sale YEARS ago, been telling myself that if I actually buckle down and do the lessons in it this summer, I'll get myself a new guitar to celebrate.
Then you could chair a guitar rescue society also. laugh
Yes. Favorites are a couple of Taylors and a Rainsong. Though funny-looking, the carbon fiber
Rainsong is the most stable guitar I've ever had, by far. It can go from above 10,000 ft. and dry down
to a couple hundred feet and 90% humidity, then back, and not change tune.
Nope, only have one thing I can play with!
Originally Posted by K22
Then you could chair a guitar rescue society also. laugh

Mauser's are a big enough money pit for this guy...and easier to stuff in the safe and keep them out of sight, out of my wife's mind...LOL
Originally Posted by hanco
Nope, only have one thing I can play with!

And, Chuck Berry wrote a song about it. It was his only #1 hit.
I play a Fender Bass.

Songs I can play:
Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison
Aint Feeling it Anymore - Van Morrison
Dreams - Fleetwood Mac
Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd
Smoke on the Water - Deep Purple
Papa was a Rolling Stone - Temptations
My Girl - Temptations

Still on the learning curve for others.
I can barely play the radio. miles
Yeah I play. I prefer Fender electrics and Martin acoustics...although I own a McPherson that's an outstanding instrument.
I play bass.

Couple Fenders and a import G and L.
Mostly bass now, but I've bene known to bend a string now and again.

To those who dont play, I appear to be terrific. For those who do play, they know I pretty much cant.

I can whistle better than most, and wish I'd given the harp more serious attention as a kid.
Martin J-18

DMc
Originally Posted by Crockettnj

To those who dont play, I appear to be terrific. For those who do play, they know I pretty much cant.

Yep, that's me.

Tele
LP Jr
Ovation
Not any more....have an original sunburst Hagstrom II I bought new back around 1970 leaning in the corner collecting dust.....

Like this one:

[Linked Image]
Poorly.... used to play (poorly) a lot, haven’t touched it in twenty years! memtb
Wow that's a cool looking axe.
Looks like it's got P90s in it.
I play bass.
Have around a dozen guitars including Alembic, Gibson and Fender some 5 string, most 4 string including a few vintage 1960's models.
Also have Marshall, Hartke and Fender bass amps.

Ultimate dream would to be to play White Room or Badge with Clapton live.
John
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Looks like it's got P90s in it.

Whatzat?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-90
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Thanks...I remember the single/double pickups nomenclature from back then, not the "official" name.
Im considering picking up one these new Fender Mustangs. They reissued it and stuck P90s on it. I've got an original 1964 Mustang that's a dream to play, due to the 24" scale mostly, and the new one with P90s should put it over the top.

Off and on for over 40 years. A Christmas Harmony led to a bevy of Martins (D-28, D-18's,000-15's, etc.), a Galllagher G-70 that I ordered in 1972 (Wartrace, TN.).
Last 4 years, a collection of resonator guitars with hours learning to play blues/slide. Currently using 3 Nationals in open D, G plus other variants. Very recently, my first electric - Fender Telecaster Vintage '52 Reissue. Lots of fun here with the electric and slide! U Tube is a wonderful resource.
I have been a chord player off and on, mostly off, for many years. My favorite is a Martin D-15. Also have a vintage Gibson L-37 (1937) that was my uncle's. Spent a lot of money having it repaired by Gibson a few years ago but I prefer the sound of the Martin.

Every winter, I plan to get the Martin out and relearn what I've forgotten but I didn't get it done again this time. I wish I had gotten serious about learning to pick when I was younger.
So true.
What I usually tell folks when they see my instruments, is that I don't really lay claim to being able to play any of them, but I sure do enjoy playing with them!, there is a difference....

Martin d-18 in a '35sunburst w 12 fret slot head
1932 harmony 12 fret slot head. The history of this particular guitar is probably worth more than the guitar itself.
Yamaha red label camping beat around
Gibson master tone 5string banjeer
Originally Posted by Crockettnj

This sums me up pretty well too.

Started on a classical and then transitioned to steel string. Never really used a pick, just fingers. Later I saw Mark Knopfler playing and said "Hey, that's the same way I play! uh, just not quite as well..." Good enough to have fun and at least entertain non-players and beginners, anyway.

I've always been more of an analytical math/science guy. Learning to play guitar has been a great way to, probably, use my brain a little differently.
bass and guitar,played 5 nights a week with 3 diff bands up until 96 or so an walked off stage one night and aint looked back much.stillhave my 76 tele, tak acquistic bass and an old fender flattop
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Off and on for over 40 years. A Christmas Harmony led to a bevy of Martins (D-28, D-18's,000-15's, etc.), a Galllagher G-70 that I ordered in 1972 (Wartrace, TN.).
Last 4 years, a collection of resonator guitars with hours learning to play blues/slide. Currently using 3 Nationals in open D, G plus other variants. Very recently, my first electric - Fender Telecaster Vintage '52 Reissue. Lots of fun here with the electric and slide! U Tube is a wonderful resource.

Gallagher's are great guitars. I almost bought one before I had the Gernandt made.
"What I usually tell folks when they see my instruments, is that I don't really lay claim to being able to play any of them, but I sure do enjoy playing with them!, there is a difference...."

I resemble that remark.....

Mine are an old Kraftsman my mom bought with war stamps, a vintage harmony, a mid level 80's Alvarez and a mitchell mandolin and many harmonicas and a few juice harps.
I've taught myself enough to be slightly dangerous. I actually had a couple of lessons from a guy I cleared some land for but then he moved to TX. He was a very, very good player and a pretty good teacher too. I have a Seagull S6 spruce that sounds nice and a Fender mexican fat strat when I want to play harder things with barre cords. My favorites to play are Ghost Riders in the Sky and My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys. I've been learning Amarillo by Morning recently. First part is going OK now to tackle the chord change.
I forgot to brag on my boys....two of them are classically trained, french horn and clarinet and the youngest is two years into his classical adventure with the viola....with that being said Garrett, one of my 18 yo twin, has a Yamaha acoustic, and an upper level breadlove acoustic and an electric, fender telecaster with some custom electronics in it, since this Christmas. Elliott, my other twin son has an electric stratocaster with texas fatboys installed and he also has a very nice upper range of an acoustic breadlove. They have gone way beyond my playing ability, and I love it.....
© 24hourcampfire