Home
I walked through a Cabela's this past weekend. I was waiting to meet up with a friend for lunch. Usually, when I'm in one of these stores I just shake my head at the prices and walk away. This time, I saw a pretty slick back pack, with great padded straps, a nice frame to it and a section to slide your rifle into. I really liked it but the thing was around $330. Anyone have any recommendations for a good rifle compatible back pack for hunting? Thanks.
I bought an Eberlestock Gunrunner II from Optics Planet for around $220 shipped, I haven't used it yet. There are YouTube videos on different Eberlestock packs. Good luck!
Eberlestock, Kifaru, and Hornhunter make great packs, based on needed size and budget...I have a Hornhunter G2 for whitetail hunting, and it works great for packing the rifle and a full days supply.
I bought an ALPS COMMANDER X. Used it last year and it worked great. The pack zips off when needed. Quarter of an elk packed out at a time.

http://www.alpsoutdoorz.com/products/extreme/commander-x-pack Should be able to find it for around $200.00.
Eberlestock. Best rifle carrier. Good pack.
For decades I carried a Barney's Moose Freighter pack with a seriously huge bag. The original designer of the bag modified my standard bag to take a rifle stock in an outside pocket and rest between pack and pockets.

It did a lot for a very long time. Then it disappeared from the boat when Riley took it hunting...

Nothing out there as good...
Originally Posted by AB2506
Eberlestock. Best rifle carrier. Good pack.

I used an Eberlestock for a few hunts this past season and was really impressed with how comfortable the rifle carrier was. Made the hike in/climb up much more comfortable. I only used the carrier when hiking before light and don't have much use for it during daylight hours where I hunt...but it really is a great carrier.

What everyone says above about Eberlestock is true. It has the very best, usable rifle carrier available. Dang good pack too.
I have an Eberlestock J104 that I've used for a decade or so. The rifle scabbard is great, until you take the rifle out of it, and then all the weight of the pack is held off your back a good 4 to 6 inches.

I haven't found a good solution or substitution. Though it is a convenient place to carry a tripod and spotter.
Reminder to all

Peddler = good

Paddler = Troll
I use the Eberlestock Scabbard with a Mainframe pack then strap a day pack to that. Makes it easy to come out heavy on the first trip.
Outdoorsmans works well.
© 24hourcampfire