Home
Posted By: Otter Heavy, heavy heart today - 03/23/18
We are grieving the loss of Ruby, our wirehaired dachshund today. She exited the yard yesterday evening in the blink of an eye, the gate was open for just a few minutes and she took advantage of it. She left about 6:30 PM and I/we were out calling and looking for her until after 10:00 PM. I was up late making posters/leaflets to get out to neighbors and close-by businesses this morning when we received a call from local animal services . . . they had found her by reading her chip. Unfortunately she had been hit by a car and was gone. They found her about 3 or 4 blocks from our home. We are devastated. We picked her up at the shelter and took her to our vet to handle the cremation (we have done that for our lost dogs since 2002).

We got her just over 5 years ago and soon found out she had liver problems. She became almost comatose overnight one weekend. Our vet was able to get her on the road to recovery and she was limited to a low protein diet. She seemed to thrive after that and was able to put on weight and function normally except for the diet.

I will miss her more than I would miss probably 95%+ of any humans I know. Does that make me a bad person? SHE was my "baby girl". She greeted me every time I entered the house and tried to lick the skin off my face and the wax out of my ears. We have four others in the pack and they are special, too. But SHE was my "baby girl", I tear up just thinking of her running across the yard to me, of her running figure eights in the yard with the other members of her pack, of her greeting me when I come inside. I know I will see her again at the rainbow bridge, but damn it is hard right now!

Ruby 10/12/2012 - 3/23/2018 RIP, Baby Girl

[Linked Image]
Sorry to hear this, Otter.

Ed
Posted By: broomd Re: Heavy, heavy heart today - 03/23/18
My heart's heavy just looking at her and reading this.

Damn sorry for your loss.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Heavy, heavy heart today - 03/23/18
Sorry about that. It's hard to have one die
Posted By: kingston Re: Heavy, heavy heart today - 03/23/18
I’m so sorry Otter. Just terrible. My heart goes out to you.
Oh man...

You have my heartfelt condolences, Otter.

Nothing I can say will take away the sorrow, I know, but consider this. You have an opening now to save a life at the local pound. It's never too early, my friend.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Heavy, heavy heart today - 03/23/18
Hard to go thru. Sorry bud.
I hate these threads. frown

Good girl Ruby.
Posted By: hanco Re: Heavy, heavy heart today - 03/23/18
It hurts to lose a dog!!
Posted By: Otter Re: Heavy, heavy heart today - 03/23/18
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Oh man...

You have my heartfelt condolences, Otter.

Nothing I can say will take away the sorrow, I know, but consider this. You have an opening now to save a life at the local pound. It's never too early, my friend.

Thanks to all . . . She was a good one.

luv2safari . . . The remainders of our pack are ALL rescues, as was Ruby. IF we do get another, it will be a rescue, too, but I don't think it will be any time soon. Although one never knows.
Posted By: RickyD Re: Heavy, heavy heart today - 03/23/18
Sorry for your loss. Pet's are often much more than "just" a pet. I can see and understand your's was.
Posted By: 2bears Re: Heavy, heavy heart today - 03/23/18
Prayers to you and your loved ones!
Very sorry for your loss.
Sure hate to hear that!
Posted By: sgt217 Re: Heavy, heavy heart today - 03/23/18
Condolences...
sorry for your loss .
Posted By: Biebs Re: Heavy, heavy heart today - 03/23/18
I have a pair of Dachshunds now. They are certainly little characters...each one seems to have their own unique personality. I understand the depth of your loss.

PS: Somewhere out there, a puppy is calling your name.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Heavy, heavy heart today - 03/23/18
a dog is an investment in emotion
Sorry to hear that, Otter. Rest easy, girl.
Posted By: Simoneaud Re: Heavy, heavy heart today - 03/23/18
Very sorry Sir!
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: Heavy, heavy heart today - 03/23/18
I am very sorry for your loss. RIP Ruby.

That hurts. Sorry for your loss.
Posted By: Scotty Re: Heavy, heavy heart today - 03/23/18
Sorry for your loss
I love all dogs, but dachsunds have a special way of stealing your heart. I am very sorry for your loss.
Condolences on the loss of your friend
Posted By: lightning Re: Heavy, heavy heart today - 03/23/18
We lost our last two within months of each other. It's been 2 years, and we still can't bring ourselves to get another, maybe someday. Pretty hard losing your best friend, enjoy the others.
Posted By: g5m Re: Heavy, heavy heart today - 03/23/18
I am sorry for the loss.
Damn. Damn grief and loss. I am sorry.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Heavy, heavy heart today - 03/23/18
That is very sad news. I am very sorry you lost Ruby. She sounded very special.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Heavy, heavy heart today - 03/24/18
Very sorry to hear Otter, it sucks.

Good Girl Ruby, good girl.
Sincere condolences.
Originally Posted by RickyD
Sorry for your loss. Pet's are often much more than "just" a pet. I can see and understand yours was.

My thoughts, also.
Posted By: Owl Re: Heavy, heavy heart today - 03/24/18
A mans best friend. Condolences.
Dam, sorry to hear this. Lost my Dachshsund last Aug. he was 12, we got a 7 year old Boston Terrier, that know one wanted. this little girl is now my shadow, she realy helps ease the pain. about as diffrent as you could get from my little Hound dog!
Sorry for your loss. Hasbeen
Posted By: 340boy Re: Heavy, heavy heart today - 03/24/18
I'm sorry for your loss, Otter. I went through something very similar last Christmas. You will be in my prayers.
Sorry to read this. It's ever easy no matter how they go, but HBC is really tough.
Posted By: las Re: Heavy, heavy heart today - 03/24/18
You also have my condolences. It never gets easier when one of our best buds leaves us.

Despite that, they are worth it and then some.

In 7 weeks, my situation changes, and I start looking anew for a give-away, pound or rescue dog.

We lost the Lab lost 2 years ago, and the Dachshund about 10 now. Still looking around for either or both at times. I'm sure if there is a doggie heaven, they are showing Ruby around.

One of each if we can find them. Need a big dog to keep the boogers off the little one..... smile. Boogers meaning bears, wolves and coyotes primarily.
Posted By: Greyghost Re: Heavy, heavy heart today - 03/24/18

So fast they come into our lives and then for one reason or an other are just as fast yanked from our hearts. It's devastating to say the least, but if you're willing and able another will find their way to your home, and may not be a pup but an elder old gal or gentleman needing love and a good home.

Phil
Hey buddy so sorry to hear this,they truly are family.
Posted By: RLA Re: Heavy, heavy heart today - 03/24/18
very sorry for your loss, i lost my best buddy about 2 months ago and i still miss her.
Excruciating to read these threads. Seems like we've all got dog stories. Pixie the Wonderbeagle's been gone two years now. We got another beagle. A rescue dog out of a Kentucky puppy mill. Some a-hole beat this dog severely. She's absolutely terrified of me. Has buddied up to everyone but me. A good little dog none the less. I'd sure like to get my hands on the scumbag that beat here though.

Pixie's been gone two years now and I still miss her like it was yesterday. The pain never fully goes away. My old Explorer finally died here a couple months ago. It got towed to the junkyard with Pixie's nose prints still on the windows.

My deepest condolences to you sir. This is always so, so hard. Here's to the hope another castaway in need of a home finds it's way into your heart.
Originally Posted by las
You also have my condolences. It never gets easier when one of our best buds leaves us.

In 7 weeks, my situation changes, and I start looking anew for a give-away, pound or rescue dog.

We lost the Lab lost 2 years ago, and the Dachshund about 10 now. Still looking around for either or both at times. I'm sure if there is a doggie heaven, they are showing Ruby around.

One of each if we can find them. Need a big dog to keep the boogers off the little one..... smile. Boogers meaning bears, wolves and coyotes primarily.

Want me to look for you?
Posted By: OMCHamlin Re: Heavy, heavy heart today - 03/24/18
Originally Posted by Otter
We are grieving the loss of Ruby, our wirehaired dachshund today. We are devastated.

I know I will see her again at the rainbow bridge, but damn it is hard right now!

Ruby 10/12/2012 - 3/23/2018 RIP, Baby Girl

[Linked Image]

What a beautiful dog, I am so sorry. To watch one totter slowly into the sun-setting twilight of a dog's age, or to have one suddenly ripped from your heart, either way hurts so much...
My condolences!
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Heavy, heavy heart today - 03/24/18
Man that sucks. Sorry for your loss.
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by las

Want me to look for you?

Mid May- I'll start looking. But thanks, Mike. Logistics and all. And wife doesn't show up until July. smile

She hated Tripper Lab pup at first too. That lasted about 2 days....then she left for a 2 month away from home job. All good after that. And if I have "her" Dachshund on site, (last one thought he was mine) it's all good. We won't tell her. One doesn't live 40 years with a woman without learning work-arounds.

She's only tough on the outside.

Well, actually, one really does not want to cross her on some things....... I mean, really! But a weiner dog fixes everything.

Compromise, hell - I'm going straight for the bribe.
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Heavy, heavy heart today - 03/24/18
Really sorry to hear about Ruby..... frown
As for Ruby's med problems - I don't know about others - but Tripper Lab was a "free dog" - got him at about 10 weeks. Over the next 12 1/2 years he cost us probably 10K, including food. Worth every penny.

DJ the Weiner dog wasn't far behind. I never even asked, still don't know, and don't care the expenses from his last 6 weeks...

Dogs are like yachts - if you have to ask what they cost, you can't afford one.
Posted By: rnovi Re: Heavy, heavy heart today - 03/24/18
My truest condolences. There is nothing like the love of a dog. Nothing.

My pups are 10 & 7. I dread the day, but I will celebrate every day I get to share with them.
Just wanted to update our family since Spring of 2018 - - -

It has been over 18 months since we lost out Wirehaired Dachsund to a car-vs-dog incident.
About 6 months later we rescued a Longhaired Dachsund to fill the hole left by Ruby's departure.

RIP - Ruby, 10/12/2012 - 3/23/2018 - Wirehaired Dachsund

[Linked Image from pic20.picturetrail.com]

Winn - rescued 9/17/2018 - Longhaired Dachsund filled the hole left by Ruby's departure.

Daisy - rescued 3/15/2016 - Rat Terrier and she has become my shadow since Ruby went to the Rainbow Bridge. She successfully hunts rabbits, squirrels and moles.

Originally Posted by Otter
Just wanted to update our family since Spring of 2018 - - -

It has been over 18 months since we lost out Wirehaired Dachsund to a car-vs-dog incident.
About 6 months later we rescued a Longhaired Dachsund to fill the hole left by Ruby's departure.

Condolences (again) on the loss of your Ruby, glad you were able to find Winn and Daisy to add a little "joyful noise" around the house. In my mind, no dog ever replaces a loved dog that has gone across, but each dog burrows a fresh hole in his master's heart. Each dog we love is a gift all by themselves...

Good luck and good health to you and your new dog family!
Sorry you lost your dog!!
Sincere condolences
Hug your wife!
That is so sad. What a beautiful dog.
Sorry for your loss
One of the worst days in a man's life
Ha! Good looking dogs.

Always wanted a Rat Terrier.
Posted By: nugget Re: Heavy, heavy heart today - 10/16/19
Lost mine 2 weeks ago,part jack Russell,part fiest,141/2 years old ,really hurts,I'm pretty strong,but I cried like a baby
Posted By: Steve Re: Heavy, heavy heart today - 10/16/19
Very sorry. Losing a pet is hard.
Grief is the price we pay for love.

P
Heart-felt condolences here.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Heavy, heavy heart today - 10/16/19
Bummer. They become family within seconds of entering ones home.
So sorry to hear about the loss of Ruby! Those little Doxies have a way or worming themselves into your very soul. I am glad that you have done the rescue thing and have another to help ease the hurt. Only salve I know of is to replace the loss of love with something to love.

Condolences to you and your wife!
Sorry for your loss.
Posted By: jnyork Re: Heavy, heavy heart today - 10/16/19
Very sad, condolences to you for your loss of your friend. Hope you find sunnier days soon.
Posted By: BigPine Re: Heavy, heavy heart today - 10/16/19
My deepest condolences also

Good girl Ruby.
My condolences partner, one of the hardest things in life in my opine.

Glad to see you got back in the game!
Oh man. So sorry, Otter. Had to put my little buddy Fletch down a couple months ago for brain cancer. Stinks.

Good girl, Ruby. Good girl.
I can't read this post... I know what it says...

Prayers and hugs from my pups to you and your family.
So sorry to hear this. Like I’ve said many times before, it’s like losing a dear family member.
Posted By: SKane Re: Heavy, heavy heart today - 10/17/19
frown
I am so very sorry. A dog's love is perfect love, and they are family.
Always hard to lose a pup.
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Heavy, heavy heart today - 10/17/19
So sorry to hear this Otter.....losing a great dog is definitely one of the hardest things a guy and his family can go through! frown
© 24hourcampfire