Home
Posted By: Calhoun Bump stocks update - 03/24/18
All from today.

Donald J. Trump Verified account @realDonaldTrump

Obama Administration legalized bump stocks. BAD IDEA. As I promised, today the Department of Justice will issue the rule banning BUMP STOCKS with a mandated comment period. We will BAN all devices that turn legal weapons into illegal machine guns.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...0-2edd-11e8-8ad6-fbc50284fce8_story.html
The Justice Department is proposing to amend the regulations of its Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives division to say that bump stocks fall within the definition of an automatic weapon because they allow a shooter of a semiautomatic firearm to initiate a continuous firing cycle with a single pull of the trigger.

The proposed rule will be published in the Federal Register with a 90-day comment period. If the rule becomes final, bump-stock devices would be banned and people who have the devices would be required to surrender, destroy or make their devices permanently inoperable.

In 2010, ATF decided it could not regulate bump stocks because officials said the devices did not meet the definition of a machine gun. A 1986 law bans the sale of machine guns manufactured after 1986 and restricts the sale of such guns before that year.

ATF officials concluded that bump stocks did not fall under the law because they did not permanently alter a gun’s trigger mechanism.

The Proposed Rule
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Bump stocks update - 03/24/18
Originally Posted by From Story
The Justice Department is proposing to amend the regulations of its Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives division to say that bump stocks fall within the definition of an automatic weapon because they allow a shooter of a semiautomatic firearm to initiate a continuous firing cycle with a single pull of the trigger.

And that is why this law will not be upheld in a court of law, the trigger is pulled each and every time the firearm is fired.
Posted By: Fubarski Re: Bump stocks update - 03/24/18
Don't see how they're going to get around the "single pull of the trigger" requirement.

Fancy writin, but it *still* takes a single pull of the trigger to fire.

Bumper just makes that single pull happen faster than it otherwise might.
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Bump stocks update - 03/24/18
Washington Post; isn't that Jeff Bezos's newspaper? He's an anti gun fanatic. He also owns Amazon and people love Amazon.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Bump stocks update - 03/24/18
So, you're saying this is all fake news and the Trump tweet and the posted link showing Session's ban isn't real?
Posted By: Stormin_Norman Re: Bump stocks update - 03/24/18
Fugg that, so rubber bands also now illegal?

How many felons will they make with that change?
Session's ban

Sessions eh?
Posted By: las Re: Bump stocks update - 03/24/18
I carry no water for bump stocks- stupid piece of equipment if you ask me. Nobody did, tho.

A rifle scope is far more deadly, except maybe for flock shooting a crowd.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Bump stocks update - 03/24/18
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Session's ban

Sessions eh?

Proposed rule signed: "Approved: Jeffrey B. Sessions III"

Reading is really undervalued.

Could call it Trump's ban as well. He ordered Sessions to do it.
Posted By: DavePrice Re: Bump stocks update - 03/24/18
Funny google and MSN show no bump stocks under the shopping tab.
NOT!
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Bump stocks update - 03/24/18
I lost all of my rubbers in a fire.

It was long ago. grin

Besides no one has a use for rubber bands.They should be banned.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Bump stocks update - 03/24/18
There go my often used around the house rubber bands.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Bump stocks update - 03/24/18
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...urn-legal-weapons-into-machine-guns.html

"Oh Magoo, you've done it again!"
Posted By: shootem Re: Bump stocks update - 03/24/18
Originally Posted by 12344mag

And that is why this law will not be upheld in a court of law, the trigger is pulled each and every time the firearm is fired.

Oh it can be upheld. Just being devil's advocate for a minute so don't cuss me. The finger is not pulling the trigger for each individual shot. The recoil from the first round fired is the action that causes the rifle to move rearward. Resistance from whatever part of the body the stock is in contact with then causes an equal and opposite reaction sending the rifle forward. Trigger is then forced against the stationary finger thereby initiating the second and subsequent firings. Firing cycle is ended only when the trigger finger is moved (even ever how slightly) from the firing position. One trigger "pull" resulting in multiple rounds fired. Don't for a second think they can't prove it. It all depends on the judge.

This little invention was a piece of horse crap from the start. Caused a lot more problems than it's worth. Fed Guv eventually gets around to addressing issues like this. It's almost like the Obammers of the previous admin saw a really good opportunity on the horizon when they let it ride. Just kinda giving it enough rope to hang itself and give the antis another rallying cry, another martyred cause. Sometimes doing something just because you can doesn't turn out so well.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Bump stocks update - 03/24/18
Originally Posted by plainsman456
I lost all of my rubbers in a fire.

It was long ago. grin

Besides no one has a use for rubber bands.They should be banned.

Yes, but they were for the American market and were a little on the small side, would you like me to send you a packet of Australian made items...our small is your XXL.
Posted By: las Re: Bump stocks update - 03/24/18
We will use ours. No kangaroos here - only sheep.

And we are the buggerers, not the bugerees.
Originally Posted by shootem

Oh it can be upheld. Just being devil's advocate for a minute so don't cuss me. The finger is not pulling the trigger for each individual shot. The recoil from the first round fired is the action that causes the rifle to move rearward. Resistance from whatever part of the body the stock is in contact with then causes an equal and opposite reaction sending the rifle forward. Trigger is then forced against the stationary finger thereby initiating the second and subsequent firings. Firing cycle is ended only when the trigger finger is moved (even ever how slightly) from the firing position. One trigger "pull" resulting in multiple rounds fired. Don't for a second think they can't prove it. It all depends on the judge.

This little invention was a piece of horse crap from the start. Caused a lot more problems than it's worth. Fed Guv eventually gets around to addressing issues like this. It's almost like the Obammers of the previous admin saw a really good opportunity on the horizon when they let it ride. Just kinda giving it enough rope to hang itself and give the antis another rallying cry, another martyred cause. Sometimes doing something just because you can doesn't turn out so well.

Remember what you said when they take your sniper scope and full semi auto rifle. Your a fool if you support this or any other form of gun control.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Bump stocks update - 03/24/18
Are we tired of winning yet?
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Bump stocks update - 03/24/18
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman

Remember what you said when they take your sniper scope and full semi auto rifle. Your a fool if you support this or any other form of gun control.

Who supports? I just don’t give a schit about bump stocks. They junky little add one that for all intents and purposes make a firearm automatic. They were stupid from the start.
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman

Who supports? I just don’t give a schit about bump stocks. They junky little add one that for all intents and purposes make a firearm automatic. They were stupid from the start.

So you think we should ban guns and accessories you think are stupid? Based on that argument we should ban every gun. Think, even you don't like it you should support it, otherwise we end up divided and the 2nd is void by proxy. Read the 2nd a tell me what part has been legally changed by congress or state convention. The 86 machine gun ban wasn't a tax, it was a ban that was constitutionally illegal because it violates the 2nd. Stop rolling over and force our government to honor our constitution, or forever be someones biotch. .

I love my country, freedom, and the constitution, I will yield non of it willingly for a false narrative.

You don't have a clue about what just happened.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

What just happened? Ten years ago no one had ever heard of a bump stock. It was a new device that required an opinion of the ATF as to it’s legality. Said opinion has now changed.

If all of you hysterical ladies want to get so upset about this, then I would suggest that you should have started fighting the Civil War when Reagan effectively banned automatic rifles or Bush 1, banned the importation of tons of firearms, or when Clinton banned so-called assault rifles.

Instead, after two decades of unmitigated success where on the federal level, firearms regulations have been rolled back over and over, the SCOTUS ruled unequivocally the 2nd is an individual right, and on the state level you now get a carry license on a “must issue” basis in practically every state in the country, you people want to lose your minds because a regulatory agency that had previously allowed you to attach a schitty piece of plastic to your rifle, decided to reverse itself.
Posted By: RDW Re: Bump stocks update - 03/24/18

Instead, after two decades of unmitigated success where on the federal level, firearms regulations have been rolled back over and over, the SCOTUS ruled unequivocally the 2nd is an individual right, and on the state level you now get a carry license on a “must issue” basis in practically every state in the country, you people want to lose your minds because a regulatory agency that had previously allowed you to attach a schitty piece of plastic to your rifle, decided to reverse itself.

Yes, because a bump stock, rubber band or dowel rod does not change a semi-automatic to an automatic.

What just happened? Ten years ago no one had ever heard of a bump stock. It was a new device that required an opinion of the ATF as to it’s legality. Said opinion has now changed.

If all of you hysterical ladies want to get so upset about this, then I would suggest that you should have started fighting the Civil War when Reagan effectively banned automatic rifles or Bush 1, banned the importation of tons of firearms, or when Clinton banned so-called assault rifles.

Still no clue.

I'm not going to waste time explaining it to you, either.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Bump stocks update - 03/24/18
Arguing about whether a bump stock lets recoil make the rifle fully automatic or whether the recoil lets the finger bump the trigger and hence an individual trigger pull is "needed" is just semantics and is like arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. The bump stock gives a fully automatic rate of fire either way.

Bump stocks are not the hill to die on. 90% of shooters probably never even heard of them until Las Vegas. Manufacturing new machine guns has been illegal since 1986, and that's what bump stocks create. So what?

I see two downsides to the ban, though.

First, it energizes the anti-gun feds to realize they can ban SOMETHING. What's next?

Second, if we oppose it and they win (which they will), they will think can roll over us. Again, what's next?

I think the best course of action is to simply shut up about it.

As for the rubber band trick, nothing can happen--in the short term. They aren't going to outlaw rubber bands. Outlawing AR15s under the excuse that a rubber band lets them become a machine gun manufactured after 1986 just won't fly unless a law is passed. The best defense against that is the widespread ownership of AR15s by voters. For while I don't know anyone who has a bump stock, I know a lot of people who own AR15s, including people who have never even shot them.
Posted By: GonHuntin Re: Bump stocks update - 03/24/18
You can thank the NRA statement for this ban on bump stocks.......if the NRA leadership hadn't released a statement approving it, there is no way it would be an issue. LaPierre and Cox and anyone else in NRA leadership who thought this statement was a good idea need to be fired!!!
It’s like I’m living in the twilight zone. Firearms owners have got to be the dumbest sobs as a group on the planet.

We’ve been fighting this war for decades. I remember when the common myth was that a semi-auto could be converted to automatic fire by the simple installation of an automatic sear. For the most part that wasn’t true and where it was, designs were changed so that it wouldn’t be. Then, based on that we spent the next couple of decades arguing that so-called assault weapons only looked like military weapons and were not capable of automatic fire and as such, were really no different than a Remington 742 or any other hunting rifle. And you know what? We largely won that battle. It was working great.

And then, in the space of half a decade or so, we’ve suddenly got tens of thousands of YouTube videos with tons of firearms owners reinacting the gunfight scene from Heat with goofy assed grins on their faces as they spray hundreds of rounds downrange with their bump stocks. Suddenly these “scary looking” guns that we had spent the last two decades telling people weren’t really all that scary, are doing what appears to be exactly what we had spent the last two decades telling everyone that they couldn’t do.

And save me from the technical explanations of what a bump stock does and doesn’t do. I get it. But any sane person is going to look at those YouTube videos and see what it ACTUALLY does no matter how you try to get into the technical weeds about it.

Now, as for me, I’m for repealing every gun control law on the books. I don’t think anything should be illegal. But we, as a shooting community, spent years and years crafting a narrative about modern sporting rifles and semi-autos in general. And bump stocks pretty much have single handedly destroyed that narrative.
Posted By: rainshot Re: Bump stocks update - 03/24/18
Yes the NRA didn't have to jump on this horse. That was just stupid and it is an unnecessary reaction. The next logical progression will be to ban the simi auto and that will encompass everything from a Remington 1100 to an AR. Once again the taxpayer is going to have to foot the bill for more feel good unenforceable legislation to be printed up and allow the government one step closer to Marxism.
How many voters own bump stocks? 1000?

How many own AR15s? 10,000,000?

How many own semi auto AR15s, SKSs, 742s, 1100s, and all the rest? 20,000,000?

How many members does the NRA, GOA, CCRKBA combined have now? 6,000,000?

How many adults in total live in the same houses of those members? 12,000,000?

That's a lot of votes. If you want to keep your guns, support the NRA, send them cash, stop bitching when they send you 2% of the junk mail that others send you, write a thoughtful letter to your legislatures once in awhile, and VOTE!!!

Indy
Benefactor Member
National Rifle Association of America
Posted By: GonHuntin Re: Bump stocks update - 03/24/18
Why would I send more money to the NRA when they back stabbed gun owners by releasing a statement supporting a ban on bump stocks and flipping a 180 and coming out in support of extreme risk protective orders??

As I have stated before, I'm a long time NRA member, an NRA certified instructor and have recruited for them in the past, but they no longer speak for me.......the leadership is week and needs to be run out on a rail!!
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Bump stocks update - 03/24/18
What is the new regulation proposing to do about all the bump stocks that have already been sold?
Originally Posted by GonHuntin
Why would I send more money to the NRA when they back stabbed gun owners by releasing a statement supporting a ban on bump stocks and flipping a 180 and coming out in support of extreme risk protective orders??

As I have stated before, I'm a long time NRA member, an NRA certified instructor and have recruited for them in the past, but they no longer speak for me.......the leadership is week and needs to be run out on a rail!!

I 100% agree, time for leadership with a backbone. Wayne rolls over like a beotch in heat every time there is a fight.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Bump stocks update - 03/24/18
Originally Posted by Mathsr
What is the new regulation proposing to do about all the bump stocks that have already been sold?

destroy,render inoperable, or turn in.
Posted By: EdM Re: Bump stocks update - 03/24/18

It's chess, remember?
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Bump stocks update - 03/24/18
just read the proposed reg.
next step they will take is to outlaw firing a semiauto rifle from any position other than the shoulder.
this is a very slippery slope.
Posted By: ftbt Re: Bump stocks update - 03/24/18
So ..... here it is:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

********************** " ...THUS SPEAKETH CAESAR ... " *********************

"The Die Is Cast" and "I Am Prepared To Resort To Anything, To Submit To Anything, For The Sake Of The Commonwealth." ---

........ Julius Caesar

"So Let It Be Written. So Let It Be Done." ----

........ Pharaoh Ramses II
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Bump stocks update - 03/24/18
Originally Posted by ftbt
So ..... here it is:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

********************** " ...THUS SPEAKETH CAESAR ... " *********************

Well Gentlemen...welcome to Australia.
Posted By: RollingThunder Re: Bump stocks update - 03/24/18
Originally Posted by deerstalker
just read the proposed reg.
next step they will take is to outlaw firing a semiauto rifle from any position other than the shoulder.
this is a very slippery slope.

Yes. It is indeed a very slippery slope. This is bad news. This will lead to more and more challenges to what should and should not be illegal/legal.

The door has been opened.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Bump stocks update - 03/24/18

In case you haven't noticed, the "Monica's" on here have not chimed in on this. Apparently they have their mouths......oops, I meant hands, full at the moment.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Bump stocks update - 03/24/18
Originally Posted by las
I carry no water for bump stocks- stupid piece of equipment if you ask me. Nobody did, tho.

A rifle scope is far more deadly, except maybe for flock shooting a crowd.

I agree with your bump stock comment. I also think that disciplined and focused fire by a motivated individual (this includes the mentally ill) is as dangerous as any weapon of mass destruction or a simple bump stock. I am still waiting for some action on mentally ill folks who should not be on the street. I really doubt I will see it in my life time.

kwg
You can thank the NRA statement for this ban on bump stocks.......if the NRA leadership hadn't released a statement approving it, there is no way it would be an issue. LaPierre and Cox and anyone else in NRA leadership who thought this statement was a good idea need to be fired!!!

Thank the NRA for going all in for trumpy too. They were his biggest superpac. Now we have to defend against his ignorance.
Posted By: shootem Re: Bump stocks update - 03/24/18
Folks, don't be so fast to brand those seeing this device for what it is as "pro gun control". Nothing could be further from the truth. I personally have the heritage and background to disprove that easily. It's a family thang. Can remember as a kid my daddy lamblasting those damn dimocrats for passing the Gun Control Act of 1964 among other things and he was a union steel worker. Preached to me regularly they were just out to get our guns so they could rule us. Almost like he knew what he was talking about, huh. I believed him then and I believe him still.

But this damn trigger twitcher we're talking about ain't even a gun. And banning it will not be overturned based on 2nd Amendment logic. Banning it will not interfere with me owning a firearm because it ain't a firearm or even a necessary part of a firearm including semi-autos. It doesn't come under 2nd A protection. All the inventors of this gizmo have done is bring down wrath where none should be. And now it looks like they have succeeded in having a non-gun piece of plastic declared to be a machine gun. WOW!! Thanks a LOT!! All of a sudden it's now in the same class as a registered sear except worse. Since it's a recently manufactured device it violates Class III regulations and ties AR type firearms it is used on back to being "easily converted to machine guns" as a war cry of the gun ban brigade.

This reclassification should not surprise anyone. The mechanics are easy to understand. If you want to argue the legality of fully automatic ownership vs government control that's another subject and I agree we should be able to own small arms with that capability. But this piece of hardware was turned into a Trojan Horse by the Obamer regime when they let manufacture and ownership continue. I seriously believe they saw it's future use in a mass shooting or two as points on the board and were hoping for dead bodies to use. Turns out our enemies have benefited much more from it than shooters who own one.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Bump stocks update - 03/24/18

Thank the NRA for going all in for trumpy too. They were his biggest superpac. Now we have to defend against his ignorance.

It would be more accurate in saying now we have to defend against the NRA.

Never go full retard. wink

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/may/20/nra-endorses-donald-trump-convention

Never go full retard. wink

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/may/20/nra-endorses-donald-trump-convention

Okay, I'll just send the NRA another hundred and we'll be good to go for another couple of months. Hopefully they'll let me keep my 303 British and a couple of 22 single shots.
So far your batting at 100% wrong as a voter since I've been here; so I wouldn't expect you to make any right decisions grin
Posted By: BALLISTIK Re: Bump stocks update - 03/24/18
The NRA is a farce as far as gun rights are concerned. It's a mouth piece to suck money out of freedom loving individuals. I've never been a member and never will. ANY and ALL laws regarding firearms are ILLEGAL and UNCONSTITUTIONAL. The fact that so many today willingly give up their Rights that so many men die for is absolutely disgusting, and you should be ashamed of yourselves.

SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED! DO NOT TREAD ON ME!
So far your batting at 100% wrong as a voter since I've been here; so I wouldn't expect you to make any right decisions grin
So you voted for Hillary? I voted Trump. I didn't like voting for Romney or McClown, but I damned sure didn't vote for Zero. Didn't know you were an Obama supporter. Thought you just got turned on by his mom on all fours.
Originally Posted by BALLISTIK
The NRA is a farce as far as gun rights are concerned. It's a mouth piece to suck money out of freedom loving individuals. I've never been a member and never will. ANY and ALL laws regarding firearms are ILLEGAL and UNCONSTITUTIONAL. The fact that so many today willingly give up their Rights that so many men die for is absolutely disgusting, and you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Agreed. I've been a member off and on since the early nineties, but let it lapse during the Obama era because it became evident that they didn't have our best interests at heart.
Ouch. That was below the belt; I bet you do your best work work there don't ya? grin
Ouch. That was below the belt; I bet you do your best work work there don't ya? grin
You would lose that bet, but then you're a loser so that's just par for the course.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Bump stocks update - 03/24/18
I guess no one saw the grin.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Bump stocks update - 03/24/18
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
How many voters own bump stocks? 1000?

How many own AR15s? 10,000,000?

How many own semi auto AR15s, SKSs, 742s, 1100s, and all the rest? 20,000,000?

How many members does the NRA, GOA, CCRKBA combined have now? 6,000,000?

How many adults in total live in the same houses of those members? 12,000,000?

That's a lot of votes. If you want to keep your guns, support the NRA, send them cash, stop bitching when they send you 2% of the junk mail that others send you, write a thoughtful letter to your legislatures once in awhile, and VOTE!!!

Indy
Benefactor Member
National Rifle Association of America

I'm curious here. What is a semi auto AR15? I thought full auto, as you note above RE AR15s by themselves, were M16s? I"m missing something here.

wife and I will most likely always be NRA members. Anyone that isn't and owns a gun is kinda on the dumb side. Then support whomever else you want to in addition.

RE giving up bump stocks, like many others I've no use for one. But I support anyone that wants one and wants to play. When they break the law you punish them to the full extent. Plus some.

That is simple enough and would set the example needed.

Well that plus getting back to the norm... 2 parent household that actually parents, pays attention to the kids, raises the kids, disciplines the kids. And a bit of God in there is not going to be negative. A bit of muslim in there telling em to kill anyone thats not muslim OTOH....

Ok. I hear you. Would you be willing to answer one of the following (multiple choice test)?

1. I financially support GOA.

2. I financially support CCRKBA.

3. I financially support another pro-gun organization.

4. I'm a freeloader.
Rost,

I meant the combined total of semi autos, including AR15s.

It occurs to me that if all semi autos and large magazines were confiscated, some nut could kill dozens of kids with a pump action shotgun, especially if he had some sort of pistol for protection while reloading the shotgun.

Or a bomb...

Gun control will make nobody safe from mass killings. It'll just make the weapons change, probably for the worse.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Bump stocks update - 03/24/18
It’s like I’m living in the twilight zone. Firearms owners have got to be the dumbest sobs as a group on the planet.

We’ve been fighting this war for decades. I remember when the common myth was that a semi-auto could be converted to automatic fire by the simple installation of an automatic sear. For the most part that wasn’t true and where it was, designs were changed so that it wouldn’t be. Then, based on that we spent the next couple of decades arguing that so-called assault weapons only looked like military weapons and were not capable of automatic fire and as such, were really no different than a Remington 742 or any other hunting rifle. And you know what? We largely won that battle. It was working great.

And then, in the space of half a decade or so, we’ve suddenly got tens of thousands of YouTube videos with tons of firearms owners reinacting the gunfight scene from Heat with goofy assed grins on their faces as they spray hundreds of rounds downrange with their bump stocks. Suddenly these “scary looking” guns that we had spent the last two decades telling people weren’t really all that scary, are doing what appears to be exactly what we had spent the last two decades telling everyone that they couldn’t do.

And save me from the technical explanations of what a bump stock does and doesn’t do. I get it. But any sane person is going to look at those YouTube videos and see what it ACTUALLY does no matter how you try to get into the technical weeds about it.

Now, as for me, I’m for repealing every gun control law on the books. I don’t think anything should be illegal. But we, as a shooting community, spent years and years crafting a narrative about modern sporting rifles and semi-autos in general. And bump stocks pretty much have single handedly destroyed that narrative.

Well said JoeBob. I had some doubts about where these bump stocks were going when I saw them hit the market. Now we all know the answers and it is NOT good.
kwg
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Bump stocks update - 03/24/18
I'm curious here. What is a semi auto AR15?

It's one that's not running full semi-auto.
Posted By: BALLISTIK Re: Bump stocks update - 03/25/18
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

Ok. I hear you. Would you be willing to answer one of the following (multiple choice test)?

1. I financially support GOA.

2. I financially support CCRKBA.

3. I financially support another pro-gun organization.

4. I'm a freeloader.

I would mark that question as N/A. That's gotta be one of the worst written questions I've ever seen on a test, and I attended public schools and college. You get a public school, Needs Improvement for the leading question and failed, backward attempt at an insult. Would you like to try again?
© 24hourcampfire