Home
Running out of things to watch on "movie night." What are some of your favorites of the last, say, 10 years?

I'll start with a few that I liked in no particular order

Interstellar
Argo
Inception
Limitless
Jack Reacher 1 (didn't see 2)
The Wedding Ringer
Argo was good. "Sicario" was friggin' super.
Last stand ,Wind river
Darkest Hour

Winter's Bone

Hacksaw Ridge

Lawless
John wick.
Fury

(of course I'm a retired tank mechanic!)
12 Strong
Several good ones mentioned here. I heard somebody mention "The Town" the other day. I need to re-watch that one, as it was pretty good too. 13 Hours was pretty awesome, and it is still fairly new.
No Country for old men.
Kung Fu Hustle
I Saw the Devil
The Raid
Old Man
Based on what you listed, here are some more "intelligent" movies of that genre:

Blade Runner 2049 - when compared to the original it feels too derivative and falls a bit short but it's still a good movie in its own right
The Planet of the Apes movies - the most recent trilogy are all pretty good.
The Martian - a well done movie based on actual science, unless you just hate Matt Damon
Life of Pi - visually stunning and has a neat story.
10 Cloverfield Lane - suspense movie more than sci-fi, it's more of a slow burn than dramatic action but with great acting
Man From Earth - a little indie type film from 2007 available on Amazon and maybe elsewhere. No action or blood or sex, all character based. I found the subject and story intriguing and well done, some others may find it offensive. There is a sequel done 10 years later, "Man from Earth: Holocene", don't waste your time on that one.
Edge of Tomorrow - Tom Cruise learns to fight aliens by living the same day over and over.
Avatar - "Dances with Wolves" meets "Pocahontas" on "The Planet of the Cliches", but if you ignore all of that it's also visually well done albeit with a pretty cliched story and somewhat one dimensional characters.

A couple outside the above:
Fury - good battle scenes even if the last battle is a bit unrealistic. (hopefully without giving away any spoilers it should have been a chip shot for the Germans)
Deadpool - not particularly intelligent, in fact it's extremely profane but funny as hell

Not movies but if you get Netflix then "Black Mirror" is an outstanding sci-fi anthology series. Set in the near future or parallel present times, it shows the dangers and quirks inherent in modern technology. Each episode is about an hour long, basically it's a dark "Twilight Zone" on steroids.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Bridge of Spies
Sully
Wind River

Appaloosa
No Netflix I assume?

10 bucks a month and more good series than I can mention.

6 seasons of House of Cards.
Several seasons of Breaking Bad.
5 seasons of Peaky Blinders,
Several Viking series,
One Season of the Ozarks,( a true sleeper)

thats just for starters.........
I just finished re-watching "The Winds of War" on Youtube. I'm starting "War and Remembrance" now and just finished part 2 which shows the atrocities at Auschwitz. Very disturbing.
Originally Posted by tdbob
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Bridge of Spies
Sully

X2 ........ and

The King's Speech
The Imitation Game
The Railway Man
The Way Back
Into the White
Hell or High Water
No Country for Old Men
Dunkirk
13 Hours
Wind River
John Wick (Both)
The Town
Gone Baby Gone
The Revenant
Blood Diamond
The Departed
Sicario
The Bourne movies
Gladiator
Taken
Lord of the Rings (All)
Solomon Kane

Just a few
Bridge of Spies

Megan Leavey

Wonder
Sit back an watch the old twilight zone one after .another..I have 100 of them on my DVR.... Real good ones ...and acting...
2011 .... The Guard

2011 .... Tucker & Dale vs. Evil

Bridge of Spies

Hell or High Water

Wind River

No Country for Old Men

Man on Fire

Sully

12 Strong

Darkest Hour

The Equalizer
Hacksaw Ridge

No Country For Old Men

Hell or High Water

Sully

Wind River

I haven’t seen Darkest Hour yet. I’ve heard several say it was the best movie they had seen in a long time

Lonesome Dove
Quigley Down Under
Game of Thrones
Anything John Wayne
Anal Teen Mom starring Farrah Abraham
Newton boys
Not very new, but a good show that is a true story about some bank robbers that were brothers.
Cool Clip at the end of the show with one of the brothers on the Johnny Carson show.
Good actors in it also.
Unforgiven.

Most of Wes Anderson's stuff.
Outstanding choices all. +100
Ride With the Devil

Winter’s Bone

LadyBird (for the womenfolk, the best mother-daughter flick I’ve seen.

The Patriot

Last of the Mohicans (1992 version)

Braveheart

The 13th Warrior
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
John wick.

J Wick...1 & 2 😎
Hahaha this one is awesome:

Originally Posted by Kenneth
No Netflix I assume?

10 bucks a month and more good series than I can mention.

6 seasons of House of Cards.
Several seasons of Breaking Bad.
5 seasons of Peaky Blinders,
Several Viking series,
One Season of the Ozarks,( a true sleeper)

thats just for starters.........

I used to like House of Cards, but the wheels just fell off,and I quit halfway through this last season. Couldn't stand to even look at that pervert.
How about "The Town"? I think that is what it was called, about the Bank crew in Boston?
Debbie does Dallas
Second Hand Lions
Unbroken
Greater
My All American
Interstellar
Gravity
Originally Posted by magshooter1
Second Hand Lions

under rated flick. I enjoyed it.
Good lord, don't watch Dunkirk, that is possibly one of the worst movies I have ever seen. It could have been a great movie but who every produced it had no idea what they were doing.
agree on Sicario
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
Good lord, don't watch Dunkirk, that is possibly one of the worst movies I have ever seen. It could have been a great movie but who every produced it had no idea what they were doing.

X2 ..... It was the biggest disappointment in the last 10yrs.

The beach scene looked like a Sunday swim at a Boy Scout convention. The British pretty much left every bit of armour and equipment they had in France on that beach but you'd never know it by watching that movie.
I need to tag this and go back it will be a must see guide
hank
The Hornets Nest

Comedy——Dirty Grandpa with Robert De Niro
If you dont care for crime and conspiracy drama you are about 80% out of luck from Hollywood these days.
© 24hourcampfire