Home
Posted By: watch4bear Any spurs out there? - 04/17/18
Mesican chihauhas, circa 1940

[Linked Image]
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Any spurs out there? - 04/17/18
My little brother has Great Grandads. He started busting broncs on the 6666’s or Four Sixes Ranch when he was 15. I’ve got his saddle.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Any spurs out there? - 04/17/18
No pictures, I have my brother's steel sliver spurs.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Any spurs out there? - 04/17/18
My wife collects them.

She has a lot,some old and some done in the 60's.

I have bought her some that were used in Mexico way back when they were made by blacksmiths.
They are heavy.
She does have one that is from the crusaders time frame,it's got a lot of damage but it does look like it got the job done.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Any spurs out there? - 04/17/18
I made a couple pair when I was younger. Plain, ol' blued steel. Pair of bronc spurs and a pair of riding spurs.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Any spurs out there? - 04/17/18
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
My little brother has Great Grandads. He started busting broncs on the 6666’s or Four Sixes Ranch when he was 15. I’ve got his saddle.

Neal! Had a great uncle worked on the 6666. He’d always show up ar family reunion with a different gal. One year he showed with some ol’ messkin gal and her entire family!!! Rolfmao! My poor ol’ baptist grandmaw like to schidt a brick!!!

He was a hoot!
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Any spurs out there? - 04/17/18
After a bunch of x-rays last year, I have spurs in every joint they looked at.

You'all can have 'em if you want.

Bet ya' don't.
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Any spurs out there? - 04/17/18
Bob I bet your uncle was the life of the party.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Any spurs out there? - 04/17/18
My spurs stay on my riding boots.

Tom Balding spurs. Best I've ever seen.

[Linked Image]

https://www.tombalding.com/spur-5.html
Posted By: kroo88 Re: Any spurs out there? - 04/17/18
Friends up here in north central Montana design and craft custom spurs. He does the silversmithing and she engraves.

[Linked Image][/img]
Posted By: Owl Re: Any spurs out there? - 04/17/18
Had a pair when I was a teen. Don't know whatever happened to them. Guess I ought to ask my Dad if they're still hiding in his garage or basement.
A few more
[Linked Image][/img]
[Linked Image][/img]
When I was younger I had a pr. of tree climbing spurs.

Dose that count?

When I bought my rural property, (covered with 2n'd growth fir trees) I hired a high climber to limb up a few trees around the house.

I thought "heck" I can do that! so, I bought a pr. of spurs and climbed up about 150 trees knocking limbs off as I went.

Gets pretty exciting when there's a breeze and you get about 80-100 feet up and the tree gets about 6" in diameter. Quite a 'ride"

Virgil B.
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
When I was younger I had a pr. of tree climbing spurs.

Dose that count?

When I bought my rural property, (covered with 2n'd growth fir trees) I hired a high climber to limb up a few trees around the house.

I thought "heck" I can do that! so, I bought a pr. of spurs and climbed up about 150 trees knocking limbs off as I went.

Gets pretty exciting when there's a breeze and you get about 80-100 feet up and the tree gets about 6" in diameter. Quite a 'ride"

Virgil B.

Tree climbing spurs or gaffs?
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Any spurs out there? - 04/17/18
Mine don't come off my riding boots either. Had to do some fancy zooming and cropping for this. This pic was from a spring branding and it was muddy.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: The_Yetti Re: Any spurs out there? - 04/17/18
I've got silver spurs I earned on a Spur ride and gold spurs I earned being in combat with a Cavalry unit. Never wore either on a horse though, just when all dudded up at a Ball.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Any spurs out there? - 04/17/18
Nothing fancy - just an old, conservative, pair of Crocketts - no embellishment.
Called my Dad. Said he gave my spurs to my sister. Called my sister. Said she sold them at her mother-in-law's antique store. For something over $100. Not too bad considering that my Dad only paid $10-$15 for them at Smith & Edwards in Norther Utah back in the mid 70's. Now I know hwat happened to my spurs.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Any spurs out there? - 04/17/18
I rode with spurs 35 years ago when I was into roping and cow catching. Saw one of them hanging in the barn the other day, have no idea where the other one was. My granddaughter rides my old gelding with spurs when she shows him, otherwise, we don't use them.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Any spurs out there? - 04/17/18
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Nothing fancy - just an old, conservative, pair of Crocketts - no embellishment.

Nothing worse than listening to jinglebobs all damn day.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Any spurs out there? - 04/17/18
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I rode with spurs 35 years ago when I was into roping and cow catching. Saw one of them hanging in the barn the other day, have no idea where the other one was. My granddaughter rides my old gelding with spurs when she shows him, otherwise, we don't use them.

Tried to make an old, hi-strung Tn Walking Horse into a pleasure riding horse a few yrs back.
Discovered a 6ft Ugly Stick upside her ass a few times worked way better than spurs. laugh

hahaha

Still didn't have much luck with her. Alpo material.

Posted By: JamesJr Re: Any spurs out there? - 04/17/18
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by JamesJr

Tried to make an old, hi-strung Tn Walking Horse into a pleasure riding horse a few yrs back.
Discovered a 6ft Ugly Stick upside her ass a few times worked way better than spurs. laugh

hahaha

Still didn't have much luck with her. Alpo material.

Here in Kentucky we use tobacco sticks for such purposes.

They usually work.
used to have about 2000 sticks in our dark fired barn

BIL pushed all of it down into a gulley to build a new house. Some of those sticks were probably 75 yrs old

I used to raid the barn and get them for tomato sticks....(after we ran outta remington rifles) laugh
Posted By: 1minute Re: Any spurs out there? - 04/17/18
No! Cookie took them all away from me.

They're now stored at my girlfriend's house.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Any spurs out there? - 04/17/18
Referring back to the pooping in the woods thread. How do you do that wearing spurs?

mike r
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Referring back to the pooping in the woods thread. How do you do that wearing spurs?

mike r
meh some people on this forum have had their balls cut off, and even posted about.
Posted By: Alamosa Re: Any spurs out there? - 04/17/18

Most spurs are for show. Crocketts are for work.
Originally Posted by Alamosa

Most spurs are for show. Crocketts are for work.

I agree...

Other than the Oscar Crocketts. Those hand forged, hand crafted spurs are pretty valuable.

I found an old pair of spurs hanging in a barn they were going to tear down. I was there to buy a 100 year old anvil and remove it from the barn before they tore the barn down for barnwood.

The old spurs were hanging on a nail on the wall, and had baling wire contrapted spur straps, and had been painted aluminum silver previously. I asked the guy how much he wanted for them. He said just take them. Nobody messed with them for years.

OK Thanks!

Got them home and stripped the paint off them, and found they were marked "O. Crockett"... Got them authenticated and a COA. Put some nice Big Bend Saddlery straps on them and took them to an Old West Memorabilia show in Austin.

First guy that saw them ended up buying them from me for $3500 cash.

That doesn't happen too often. Once in while a blind hog finds an acorn. smile
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Any spurs out there? - 04/17/18
nice find
Sweet story Rockinbbar ! I LOVE it when you step in a pile and come out smelling like a rose.
Originally Posted by Owl
Sweet story Rockinbbar ! I LOVE it when you step in a pile and come out smelling like a rose.

I did that day! smile

Ended up paying him $1 a pound on a 250 pound Swedish anvil that showed hardly any wear. It was about 125 years old. Sold the anvil for twice that...

I used to deal in old west memorabilia some. Gotta keep your eyes open...

I missed a stack of old Levi's jeans in a dry goods store that was going out of business. Friend of mine went in after I'd been there and asked if I had opened the boxes in the corner of the storeroom. I said no...

He told me he found like 65 pair of brand new 100% condition Levi's with tags and all on them. He paid the store $5 per pair. He sold them for like $200 per pair. Dammit... laugh He rubbed it in pretty good after that.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Any spurs out there? - 04/17/18
A couple years ago my dad bought me a pair of Crockett's for Christmas. I've never worn them but of course they are still cool and make a nice 'decoration'.

[Linked Image]

I also leave the spurs on my riding boots for the dozen or so times a year I actually get on a horse.

Had these for 25 years, my dad made the rowls out of buffalo nickels. I'd feel sick if I ever lost one.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Any spurs out there? - 04/17/18
My old Crocketts have about the same size rowels as your working spurs, Sam.
I can fall on my face enough without anything helping (like large rowels) smile
Posted By: Idared Re: Any spurs out there? - 04/18/18
Just a simple pair of North & Judds with the anchor on them. I can't say for sure when they were last on a pair of boots but it was a fair time ago. My wife now has them hanging on an antique commode towel rack. Truth be known they probably look better there than on any boots of mine as I never did warm up to them.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Any spurs out there? - 04/18/18
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by lvmiker

mike r
meh some people on this forum have had their balls cut off, and even BRAGGED about it.

wink
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Any spurs out there? - 04/18/18
Originally Posted by 1minute
No! Cookie took them all away from me.

They're now stored at my girlfriend's house.

Your girlfriend likes to be spurred on?
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Any spurs out there? - 04/18/18
These were made by Alvarez, inmate #12828

[Linked Image]
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Any spurs out there? - 04/18/18
Asked the wife when she got home from work what make of spurs she has.

She has 3 pairs of Croketts and some with the anchor on them.

She also has some from Ray Anderson,who also makes bits,he lives in New Mexico.

She does have a lot of them things.
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Any spurs out there? - 04/18/18
North and Judd had an anchor stamp; not sure about Crockett. Its cool she collects.
Posted By: Alamosa Re: Any spurs out there? - 04/18/18
my Crocketts

[Linked Image]

a few others I picked up at garage sales

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rayporter Re: Any spurs out there? - 04/18/18
my dads
I just realized the jingle bobs were gone. a shame

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rayporter Re: Any spurs out there? - 04/18/18
my everdays.
I bought them off a mr Kelly , about 1965, who claimed they were Kelly spurs.

[Linked Image]
does anyone recognize the stamp CR
[Linked Image]
the rowel on the far boot is from the first spurs I ever had.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Any spurs out there? - 04/18/18
Crockett and Kelly, maybe?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Any spurs out there? - 04/18/18
I just looked my spurs. On the moose antlers, behind a lot of junk, remodeling in the basement. No pictures anytime soon.
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: Any spurs out there? - 04/18/18
C R is for Crockett Renaldo.... marked like that after Renaldo bought in to the company. I knew I had seen the mark before but had to go to google to find out the meaning.

I had a nice pair made by a local guy, with my initials in brass. I gave them and the boots they were on to my Grandson after I sold my last horses. I gave my old Yoakum saddle to a friend.

Daddy never worked on the ‘Sixes, but on the Little Triangle which was also owned by Tom Burnett. Several years ago I took an old mismatched pair of Mexican spurs that Tom Burnett had given him and had them cleaned up. I wrote a letter to Miss Anne explaining that Tom had told Daddy; “ Somebody who was at that same Ft Worth whorehouse that night has a pair just like them”.

The spurs and my letter were placed on the memoribalia wall at the headquarters house at Guthrie.
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Any spurs out there? - 04/19/18
[Linked Image]
Posted By: catosilvaje Re: Any spurs out there? - 04/19/18
CURDO4570 I worked on the 6666 under George and Bigum . Kenny Tunstil, Jack Ray ,Keith Slover Lath Edwards and a bunch more. Had 16 head in my string and half would kill ya. Shinin times. Chuck wagon pulled by dun mules.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Any spurs out there? - 04/20/18
The spurs need some polish, and the straps need replacing again.[Linked Image]
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: Any spurs out there? - 04/20/18
At the time I gave them Daddy’s old spurs, Mike Gibson was the Manager. Little Anne sent him and his wife on a cruise and when he got back he had been replaced.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Any spurs out there? - 04/20/18
If any of you spur boys ever run across a pair of Phillips & Gutierrez spurs -- or bits -- made when they were in Montana, if they are priced under $1,500.00, pick 'em up.

L.W.
© 24hourcampfire