Home
A few years back I bought a Ruger LCR 38 +P with a 3” barrel. It’s part composite, part steel and very light to carry...Thats why I bought it as my snake gun...I load it with 38 shotshells just for Mr. Snakes face, should we cross paths...

Anybody ever use a 38 shotshell in a gunfight against Mr. Snake? And, would this shotshell work on a body shot, say, against an 4-6’ foot long slithering sonsabitch?
😎
Last two snakes I used a NAA 1 1/8 inch barrel 22LR, took three shots to hit his head, and a Ruger Bearcat, one was enough.

Where are you gong to find a 4-6 foot snake in Oregon that needs killing?
My snake defense.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 700LH
Last two snakes I used a NAA 1 1/8 inch barrel 22LR, took three shots to hit his head, and a Ruger Bearcat, one was enough.

Where are you gong to find a 4-6 foot snake in Oregon that needs killing?

Crazy....We actually killed one that stretched to 5.5 feet. It’s the little fookers that have more juice to release than the bigger ones. 700LH....It’s like a fish story....It was sooo big! 😎
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
My snake defense.

[Linked Image]

If you got a holster for that bad boy. I’d consider it 🙂
.45 with bird shot. Takes the heads nearly completely off of a rattlesnake.
A good heavy Whites boot to the head usually does the job around here, and I usually have at least two along.
No worries here in the city grin
five to six feet the .38 Shot shell takes the fight out of them, 10' killed a quail once but that was a fluke .....
20 ga, just to leave an impression, and a warning to all things slithery.

DMc
Ruger GP100 in 44 Spl with CCI shot shells works for me.

Even took out a couple of corn stealing raccoons with 'em.
I don’t ever kill them, I move them away from the house if I run across one.
I'm with Hanco. Far as I know there are only 2 poisonous snake native to Ohio. Rattlesnakes, which I've never seen in the wild in 71 yrs and copperheads, which are few and far between. They don't get a pass if nearby. all others are free to do their thing. good for controlling other vermin. Still trying to figure out if there is a poisonous snake native to Oregon?
Lots of rattlesnakes in Oregon. Saw most of them while fishing, sunning themselves in the paths along rivers. I usually tap them with the tip of my fishing rod and they crawl off into the brush.
thanks doubletap, didn't know that. new lesson for the day!!
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Anybody ever use a 38 shotshell in a gunfight against Mr. Snake? And, would this shotshell work on a body shot, say, against an 4-6’ foot long slithering sonsabitch?
😎

Yes. hundreds of times ( I used to hunt them and sell their hides...) It works great and the shorter barrel usually gives better patterns than a long barrel at snake distances ( under 6 feet).
Only saw one cotton mouth all winter while I was packing a .38 Special with the shot load. The thing was leading a charmed life in a state conservancy area with a caretaker and the wife wouldn't let me shoot it. There are some pretty good testimonials if you Google the effectiveness if those CCI shot loads.
My snake defense.

[Linked Image]

Yup. Last coral snake I kilt here was with my flip flop. Last moccasin was with an F 150.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
My snake defense.

[Linked Image]

Yup. Last coral snake I kilt here was with my flip flop. Last moccasin was with an F 150.
I've never kilt one with a ho...
My favorite ho has a big long piece of EMT on it for a handle! No breakin’ that bisch!
Ok. Here you go! My fav ho’s!!!!

Big eye ho on left really over penetrates!

EMT handled bisch really busts dem snakes

Little old azz hand forged eye ho on top is just cute so I throwed it in the pic!

(Like my tomatoes ?)

[Linked Image]
Wow Bob...Ive seen a number of hos and none of them look nuthin like that! shocked

Little old azz hand forged eye ho on top is just cute so I throwed it in the pic!

(Like my tomatoes ?)

[Linked Image]
Bob now you know two of them hoes ain't what used to be called "big eye" hoes...
Thanks poobs. I be proud of my hos !!!!!
Dont matter, EE! I still loves em!!!
Tyrone down in da hood be proud of his hos too!
Originally Posted by ingwe

And the piccolo player!!!
I like the smaller ho but I've used the big ones too.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I like the smaller ho but I've used the big ones too.

wink
I've killed more with 38 shot loads than anything else. Get the smaller size shot as I know they now have them with #4 shot too.

I carry a 20ga around the yard a lot.

[Linked Image]

(Like my tomatoes ?)

[Linked Image]

Better watch out. Liberals might call that an arsenal and come looking for you.
B&C Copperhead! Steely!
B&C Copperhead! Steely!

Yeah, that was the biggest Copperhead I've ever seen. I should have skinned that bastard.

This is the one that bit my dog. Hard to see in the leaves. I killed him with a 38 special shot load.

[Linked Image]

I worry about any Ho that "over penetrates". Sounds unpleasant!
Got no use for a snake. Snakes are evil. Kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out!

😎

Yes. hundreds of times ( I used to hunt them and sell their hides...) It works great and the shorter barrel usually gives better patterns than a long barrel at snake distances ( under 6 feet).

That’s what I was hoping to hear...It’s on now You Snake Bitches! Thanks, ingwe 😎

(Like my tomatoes ?)

[Linked Image]

Way to pimp them hoes KW... BIg Eye looks capable of dealing death to more than just slithering snake 🐍😎
Yes! They are used all over Europe along with sickles, rakes, and torches to burn down local castles where evil mad scientists create totally misunderstood monsters
Ruger Super Single Six in 22 mag with shot shells works for me. Usually a one shot kill on snakes, and the same when serving a "Rat writ writ for a rat".
My favorite snake gun is a mossburg 500 12 gauge with low base 3-1-8s. The pistol grip and 18.5 inch barrel are fairly manageable with the lighter loads.

Next up ... Contender 12 inch barrel with 3 inch .410 shells. One of the 5 shot .410 revolvers might be worthy for that use, too.

I used to roll my own .44 magnum snake loads. The plastic capsules won't take a lot of pressure but if you pour in the shot, heat them a bit, then fill the cup the rest of the way with wax it holds a better pattern at higher velocity.

I've pondered getting an 870 entry gun with a 12 inch barrel .. seems to be the $5 tax stamp, not the $200 one. Suddenly, though, I think I see a use for one of those percussion 20 gauge "howdah" pistols.
I usually carry a 22 or 38 revolver with snake shot when at the lease
Have shot more moccisans than rattlers
Going this weekend, will take the 22
Originally Posted by m1rifleman
I'm with Hanco. Far as I know there are only 2 poisonous snake native to Ohio. Rattlesnakes, which I've never seen in the wild in 71 yrs and copperheads, which are few and far between. They don't get a pass if nearby. all others are free to do their thing. good for controlling other vermin. Still trying to figure out if there is a poisonous snake native to Oregon?

We have water moccasin, copperhead and rattlesnake here.
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by m1rifleman

We have water moccasin, copperhead and rattlesnake here.
Yikes....sure glad we don't have any snakes in Alaska! Occasionally someone will claim to have found a snake down in the southeast part of the state, but I never saw any down there either.
Good idea on them 38 sp ratshot

I need to get myself some. Always have the snub with me anyways.

I do encounter snakes believe it not out in the middle of these row crop fields. HOWEVER...the are moving a little s-l-o-w already from all the pre-emergent Monsanto juice. 2/4-D, roundup, liberty, surpass, agent orange and God knows what else. eek
I've used the 38 special shot shells more than a few times and they work just fine. Tried 22 same and while it worked you had shoot several times to take a rattler out of the mood.

The 38's just stopped any fight instantly. Have some in 40 cal but never got to use it.
I've used the 38 special shot shells more than a few times and they work just fine. Tried 22 same and while it worked you had shoot several times to take a rattler out of the mood.

The 38's just stopped any fight instantly. Have some in 40 cal but never got to use it.
Originally Posted by Springcove
.45 with bird shot. Takes the heads nearly completely off of a rattlesnake.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This

I load my own with #12 shot with 8.0 gr of Unique in a capsule made by Speer. I practiced with about fist sized potatoes and it really tears them up. Mike Venturino (IIRC) suggested #12 being better than #9 for killing snakes.
I had a Glock 21 that shot some really tight patterns with the city shot loads . It was 45 also , but surprising .
Kenneth.
38 works well,
44 better.

I have always figgured if I lived in Fla. I would get a 20ga H&R, cut it to 20' and put a sling on it.
Trap loads would be great python fixers.
38 shot shells work , I had a 5'3" rat snake crawl in through the drier vent . Loose in the house I finally spotted him and 1 shot at his head from 5 to 6 feet away got him . I had to or my girlfriend was threatening to leave me .
I've had great luck with .38 shot loads. I generally carry a 3" Model 60 around the farm. First round up is a shot load (Killing poisonous snakes is a job, NOT a marksmanship competition).

Last week we had a sounder of pigs run right across our path. Wife was driving. She slammed on the brakes. I stepped out and thought the quickest way to get past the shot cartridge (and to a real bullet) was to shoot it. Might as well shoot at something. So, I shot at one of the smaller pigs at about 15 yards.

Rolled it over. Yeah, I was surprised.
Anything from a .22 rimfire to a .45 ACP with snake shot.
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn
38 shot shells work , I had a 5'3" rat snake crawl in through the drier vent . Loose in the house I finally spotted him and 1 shot at his head from 5 to 6 feet away got him . I had to or my girlfriend was threatening to leave me .

Holly Schit! I would be replacing my floors...12g with 3” mag #6 shot would be deployed..I Hate Snakes 🐍😎
I used to get better results (at ~ 6-8 feet) from 22's - and finally realized the smaller shot had a more dense pattern.
DRT - very little movement after the shot! smile
I started reloading .38 SPL with #12 shot (special order) in the CCI shot columns, and have equally, or even better results from my S&W 37 3".
Yeah, I getting the impression I’m good 2 go with my Rug LCR with 38 snake shot...😎
I used a 38 LCR and 38 airweight for many years on snake's, I started having problems with the plastic protruding foward after recoil and the cylinder is hard to get open. I would reload and make sure the cylinder spun easy and shoot it not all would protrude but i couldn't take the chance in the oilfield where i drove around i had a chance of seeing them, we new where
many of the dens were and had friends that were hunter's come and get them out to sale at the Sweetwater rattlesnake round up. I had friends that had the same problem with shotshells.i started taken my judge, retired 4 yrs ago but still carry it at the farm and helping friends kill hogs I use bigger cartridges on them.
A little silicone call on the capsules before seating will help keep them in place.
Getting the crimp right is the worst part of loading shotshells.
Too loose and the slide out.
Too tight,and the case cuts the capsul.

Wonder how a taper crimp would work?
They work fine. My favorites in both .38 and .44 are the ones where I fill the capsules with
my own chop-shot. The little nasty sharp bits just work better than the nice round shot.
They're tedious to make, but I don't need too many.
Who needs shotshells? laugh

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I've killed more with 38 shot loads than anything else. Get the smaller size shot as I know they now have them with #4 shot too.

[Linked Image]

Yep dats a big copperhead!

Biggest one I ever got was 4 feet on the button...that one looks about the same!
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

[Linked Image]

Barry?

How do a pair of Crocs work on cranial application on such creatures?
.38 Shot shells do a great job. Used CCI before and I loaded some of my own, using No. 9 shot in them.
Mike also told about making his own snakeshot. Load powder. Load a gascheck. Load shot. Load an upside down gasckeck on top. Sounds like a good idea for 38s. I believe Venturino was loading 45 Colt.

[Linked Image]

Barry?

Hell No!

laugh

Everyone knows you can shoot hogs while wearing Crocs, but Crocs were not made for stomping rattlesnakes... smile
Thankfully, Jake NoShoulders can't live in AK.

[Linked Image]

Barry?

Hell No!

laugh

Everyone knows you can shoot hogs while wearing Crocs, but Crocs were not made for stomping rattlesnakes... smile

laugh laugh laugh
A few years back I bought a Ruger LCR 38 +P with a 3” barrel. It’s part composite, part steel and very light to carry...Thats why I bought it as my snake gun...I load it with 38 shotshells just for Mr. Snakes face, should we cross paths...

😎

Are you talking timber rattler ? I am not familiar with Oregon snakes with the exception of JeffO.

[Linked Image]

You have a steady hand RocK...I am more of the "Holy Schit" when I hear rattle crackle... Locate, boom, boom, boom...And, KA-BOOM! Big Grin...Mark
I've killed two rattlers and one cottonmouth with a bow/arrow.
I prefer a 12" 16ga.
I mean I would..... Were it legal.
Steel, did you walk right up to them, draw, put your broadhead 3" inches away from its face and then release? Big hanging sack of ballz if you did that...I would be holding my cell phone, ready to call in an evac for you, while
I am standing 30 yards away...Maybe 50 yards. You go Tonto! Grin!
Am going to stop whining about mosquitoes and black flies....
Who else remembers these lines from their youth???? wink

At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
``Nag, come up and dance with death!''
Eye to eye and head to head,
(Keep the measure, Nag.)
This shall end when one is dead;
(At thy pleasure, Nag.)
Turn for turn and twist for twist-
(Run and hide thee, Nag.)
Hah! The hooded Death has missed!
(Woe betide thee, Nag!)
i don't currently kill snakes, but i have. and plenty of them too.

my grandmom would kill a green snake whenever.

a hoe on the end of a handle does work.

no personification of evil.

they have a job.

snakes..?
My summertime snake gun is a Charter Arms 4" bbl. revolver, .22 Mag., with CCI shotshells.

(Keep the measure, Nag.)
(At thy pleasure, Nag.)
(Woe betide thee, Nag!)

i do.

😎

I use 38 shot in my SW 357 when rafting. It's stainless and I don't mind if it gets a bit wet in the 'dry box' of the raft.

Killed a few snakes that were in camp. Ours about in the 2 foot range and usually head shots though.
Originally Posted by stxhunter

(Keep the measure, Nag.)
(At thy pleasure, Nag.)
(Woe betide thee, Nag!)

i do.

smile
I use a 4 foot stick and a pocket knife. Really.
A hoe is suck a perfect snake killer it should be marketed as the snake killer 9000.
long time ago i was quail hunting with then son in law, he was up on a ridge, and yells there is a really big buzz tail coming down the hill. My comment, shoot it! he didn't and proceded to follow it down the hill. When it got close enough i dumped three rounds of 12 guage out of a remington 1100 in it, reloaded, and shot it three more times. He really didn't understand the process. That that snake lived in there wasn't going anywhere but we would be back periodically, and i didn't want to sit down next to it.
I have had a coiled buzztail by a watertank that a downed dove literally landed on top of him. He took six rounds too, you start at the front, work back, then finish up starting at the tail and working forward. generally works.
I have gotten in the habit of carrying a big bore handgun with my homemade no 12 shot handloads. A 45colt with them in it works pretty good.
Another time i shot a really big mohave coiled, in the neck, with a .22. Which irritated him. Surprising how fast they move as he started to chase me and i was dumped a ruger semiauto into him. I actually had to go back to the truck to get a shovel to wack him a few times for good measure.
i can say one thing, it isn't a good idea to stomp a rattler wearing tennis shoes, i do know that.
Originally Posted by louiethedrifter
I use a 4 foot stick and a pocket knife. Really.

Louie, You da man...You and Steelhead should hook up for some snake killing competition...Buy a revolver dude..Laffin...Mark
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
long time ago i was quail hunting with then son in law, he was up on a ridge, and yells there is a really big buzz tail coming down the hill. My comment, shoot it! he didn't and proceded to follow it down the hill. When it got close enough i dumped three rounds of 12 guage out of a remington 1100 in it, reloaded, and shot it three more times. He really didn't understand the process. That that snake lived in there wasn't going anywhere but we would be back periodically, and i didn't want to sit down next to it.
I have had a coiled buzztail by a watertank that a downed dove literally landed on top of him. He took six rounds too, you start at the front, work back, then finish up starting at the tail and working forward. generally works.
I have gotten in the habit of carrying a big bore handgun with my homemade no 12 shot handloads. A 45colt with them in it works pretty good.
Another time i shot a really big mohave coiled, in the neck, with a .22. Which irritated him. Surprising how fast they move as he started to chase me and i was dumped a ruger semiauto into him. I actually had to go back to the truck to get a shovel to wack him a few times for good measure.
i can say one thing, it isn't a good idea to stomp a rattler wearing tennis shoes, i do know that.

This ^^^^^ is what I'm talking about..."Nobody home but us chickens" And, chicken I am happy to be...BwaaaK, Bwaak!
Oldelk...They’re called Northen Pacific Rattlesnakes, I guess...We just call em Rattlers...Or Jello works, too. 😎
I've gone to shot loads (1st up) because of nearly stepping ON rattlers.
While still shaking, I can still get a good head shot from ~ 5-6' - end of hostilities!
"The Warden" seems to find them farther away (maybe she can hear?), and prefers her 38 wadcutters at 15 - 20 feet. She told me once that the shot loads just seem to pizz 'em off! And she AIN'T getting any closer to any damned live rattler!

(Keep the measure, Nag.)
(At thy pleasure, Nag.)
(Woe betide thee, Nag!)

I do too
Originally Posted by Steelhead

[Linked Image]

That is a nice copperhead , for sure. Several years ago, my wife ran over one in the road, beside our mailbox. The darn thing was so big it didn’t look real. It was fat, kind of like a water moccasin. I should have measured it. It was at least as longer as the one in this picture, but it was certainly thicker. Scary damn thing!
Six shot 22 lr revolver works good (Ruger single six is recommended);. Load alternately with regular bullets and shot shells. Make the first shot a shot shell.
boot.
[Linked Image]
Oldelk...They’re called Northen Pacific Rattlesnakes, I guess...We just call em Rattlers...Or Jello works, too. 😎

Gotcha, for some reason I never equated the northwest with rattlesnakes. I keep a beretta 92FS in the backpack for such occasions. I have never seen one in the wild and if they were there I walked right past them.
Steel, did you walk right up to them, draw, put your broadhead 3" inches away from its face and then release? Big hanging sack of ballz if you did that...I would be holding my cell phone, ready to call in an evac for you, while
I am standing 30 yards away...Maybe 50 yards. You go Tonto! Grin!

All three were come upon while hunting. One of the rattlesnakes was just about 6 foot and I put my foot down not a foot from him. Backed up a few steps and slung an arrow in him, then another.

Those were all in my youth and if I had to do it over, I wouldn't have killed either rattlesnake. I've never had a problem with them, they always seem to have a 'Don't fugg with me, I won't fugg with you' attitude.
They're out around here -
small garter snake in the driveway several days ago
snake on an exit ramp north of here a couple of days ago (belly up, but I'm pretty sure a rattler, not a bull snake)
Seems when ANY snake is out - they are ALL out!
I have known several people that have been bitten by buzztails, one of which lost a leg. Medical care gets expensive really quick. have blowing them to pieces normal is to pin the head down with a stick till i can get a boot behind the head, then cut it off and bury the head. The body is
typically stuck on a barbwire fence for the coyotes or a hawk to get a snack.
one of the neat memories i couldn't get the camera out fast enough was a red tailed hawk sitting on a power pole eating a snake. He had picked it clean about half way down, you could see the skeleton, the rest meat. He dropped it and flew when he saw me paying attention.
There was a video making the rounds locally of a bobcat in a neighborhood going after a rattler. He did kill it and run off with it. Comment was made that bobcats are immune to the venom, i don't know if that is true or not.
boot.
[Linked Image]

Stx....You are one bad MOFO...Sweet boots..Ostrich?
Originally Posted by 1minute
A good heavy Whites boot to the head usually does the job around here, and I usually have at least two along.

White's boots - the best going. Expensive, but they are heavy-duty!

I was struck by a rattler on the Snake River in Idaho (1964) on the boot and the strike didn't penetrate, but had the strike been 12 inches up ...........
Leave the snakes alone. They are just existing like you.
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Reload...Some of the smaller youth "Buzztails" are actually spoiling for a fight and will slither closer to you, instead of going the other way...Kinda like a small yapper dog that thinks he's a big bada$$.

I only kill two kinds of snakes...

Big ones, and little ones. smile
I gave my 4 year old and 6 year old a talk about snakes a couple weeks ago as I don't trust the little one not to try and catch one. Told them about my older cousin who had his leg amputated after being bit by a rattler when he was a kid, my 6 year old got a real serious look and I thought he was going to say something profound and really back me up on instiling a healthy fear in the 4 year old, then he comes out with "does your cousin just have to hop everywhere now"
boot.
[Linked Image]
Let's Rodeo.

Reload...Some of the smaller youth "Buzztails" are actually spoiling for a fight and will slither closer to you, instead of going the other way...Kinda like a small yapper dog that thinks he's a big bada$$.

Well, that’s different. If they’re looking for trouble, you should accomodate them.
© 24hourcampfire