Home
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ision-to-drop-nra-discounts-was-personal

The passionate debate over gun control spilled over into United Continental Holdings Inc.’s annual meeting, when an attendee grilled Chief Executive Officer Oscar Munoz about why the carrier severed its ties with the National Rifle Association.

Taking such a stand in the aftermath of the mass shooting in Parkland, Florida, risked alienating millions of potential customers who have firearms or support the right to own them, the person said during the Wednesday session. The move also bucked billionaire investor Warren Buffett’s advice against making heat-of-the moment political stands.

The shooter wasn’t affiliated with the NRA, the questioner said, “But hey, congratulations on your liberal virtue-signaling.”

“Sir, it wasn’t political,” Munoz responded. “It was personal with regard to my family at United.”

For Munoz, the tragedy hit home because one of the 17 people killed in the Florida massacre, Gina Rose Montalto, was the teenage daughter of a United captain. About a hundred pilots and other employees of United, JetBlue Airways Corp., American Airlines Group Inc. and FedEx Corp. attended her funeral, forming an honor guard at the entrance, according to news reports at the time.

“That’s why we made the decision,” Munoz said. “We aren’t here to make political conversation or strike political debate. We’re here to serve customers.”

United and Delta Air Lines Inc. were among a number of companies that ended discounts for NRA members during the fallout from the February mass shooting. Delta faced a political firestorm in its home state of Georgia as lawmakers punished the airline by removing a fiscal measure’s tax break on jet fuel.

Originally Posted by gonehuntin

United and Delta Air Lines Inc. were among a number of companies that ended discounts for NRA members during the fallout from the February mass shooting. Delta faced a political firestorm in its home state of Georgia as lawmakers punished the airline by removing a fiscal measure’s tax break on jet fuel.

Ostensible empathy. "Kaintcha see?"
Your link is bad.
Originally Posted by achadwick
Your link is bad.

Thank you - corrected.
Yes we are aware it was personal. Thats the EXACT problem we have with it.
His ignorance in blaming the wrong people is personal too.

Stupidity should have dire consequences.
Investors need to move him on...
The NRA, did nothing. What an ass.
Munoz just clarified that he makes off the cuff and illogical decisions on the basis of emotion. Poor qualities for a corporate CEO.
if it was personal the target should have been the School district, the Sheriffs Dept, The FBI, etc.
I am the NRA and was in no way involved in the tragedy. Besides United sucks anyway.
What an idiot! Lieberal "logic".
What will he blame for the shooting in Texas? NRA?
It was personal against the NRA because a United employee's kid was killed by a psycho?

Then I guess I'm going to have to stop doing business with United because I had a friend killed in the south tower on 9/11.
Amen, Remsen. That "non-political" stuff works both ways.
Just not a good business decision on his part.

What gets me is all of the hurt feelings when folks that support the second amendment tell those business's they won't use them any more.

They tell you you should not do things on the spur of the moment.

I have not flown since my Son got married 18 years ago.
They gave me a hard time about the screws and wire in my back.
They were nor professional at all.
Everything emotionally based people do is Personal, and they think everything that happens to them is too. Only realists and rational people work on Principles and Concepts.
[bleep] them anyway.
They are one of my customers. Should I stop fixing thier broken machines? Money has no political agenda. It spends just the same no matter what the belief system of the payer. Quite a few of my customers are liberals, and more power to them. Not one knows how to fix what they break (imho)
Originally Posted by Remsen

Then I guess I'm going to have to stop doing business with United because I had a friend killed in the south tower on 9/11.

True, would have never happened if those Saudies didn't have access to a United jet.
Originally Posted by Pat85
Originally Posted by Remsen

True, would have never happened if those Saudies didn't have access to a United jet.

So you would blame the tool, not the wielder? That's liberal thinking.
Recently heard someone equate this crap with something like blaming the AAA ( American Automobile Association ) for car accidents. Typical liberal logic.
Just sent a letter to United about this. I have to fly 20 to 30 weeks a year and will move United to the bottom of the list with Delta. Pretty soon I will run out of airlines. I know the corporations don't care what I think about their policy but i will vote with my wallet for whatever small impact that may have. I am getting very tired of send the same letter to companies when they pull this stuff. I don't know what else to do. Feeling a bit depressed today about the state of things and where we are headed. Not sure I see an end to it. I am tired and kinda glad to be old ... worried for my Grand kids... may God bless (and save) America
I get so tired of seeing an inanimate object blamed for it's misuse by some wack-a-doodle kid.
I wonder how much the aggrandizement of these wack-a-doodles set off the next on seeking their moment of infamy
There's no place those bastards fly that i would want to go.
© 24hourcampfire