Posted By: travelingman1 Re: NETFLIX alternative - 05/31/18
I am interested too. Want to cancell Netflix badly
Posted By: prm Re: NETFLIX alternative - 05/31/18
Amazon Prime? Just a thought.
Posted By: nmitchell Re: NETFLIX alternative - 06/01/18
What is price of Amazon Prime ?

Neil
Posted By: KC Re: NETFLIX alternative - 06/01/18

I tried Amazon Prime. Horrible. Ran out of movies worth watching in about a month.
Posted By: prm Re: NETFLIX alternative - 06/01/18
Good to know. I have it for shopping on Amazon and the free shipping.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: NETFLIX alternative - 06/01/18
"Movies worth watching".
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: NETFLIX alternative - 06/01/18
I have a buddy that has a Christian Netflix type thing but I don't remember the name.

That help?
Posted By: EZEARL Re: NETFLIX alternative - 06/01/18
Probably give this a try. Be gone most of this month and in to July. So when we settle down. My daughter and granddaughter both like it a lot.
https://www.sling.com/watchfree
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: NETFLIX alternative - 06/01/18
How about a library book?
Posted By: Lucas1 Re: NETFLIX alternative - 06/01/18
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
I have a buddy that has a Christian Netflix type thing but I don't remember the name.

That help?

It's called Pureflix.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: NETFLIX alternative - 06/01/18
Originally Posted by nmitchell
I tried HULU and it sucks big time.
Help. I mostly watch movies.

Thanks

Neil

Yep, if you mostly watch movies you definately need help. wink
Posted By: watch4bear Re: NETFLIX alternative - 06/01/18
Enough Netflix cancelations, and someone will start another movie website
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: NETFLIX alternative - 06/01/18
Kiddos watch Netflix every once in a while, but in-frequently enough that I think I can cancel it.

I tried Hulu when I cancelled directTV. My internet sucks and I can't get any faster. Hulu didn't work

Moved to slingTV, it worked for a while, but if you want to stream live sports, on my internet, forget it.

I went back to DISH. I still mash teeth about it every day.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: NETFLIX alternative - 06/01/18
I cancelled Netflix yesterday too.
Posted By: Remington6MM Re: NETFLIX alternative - 06/01/18
Watch "the fall". Great series.
Posted By: Dixie_Dude Re: NETFLIX alternative - 06/01/18
Netflix alternatives: Learn to reload, learn to forge, learn gunsmithing, make your own fishing lures, plant a garden, raise chickens, learn welding, shoot sporting clays, play cards, play board games.

Just some thoughts.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: NETFLIX alternative - 06/01/18
Originally Posted by nmitchell
I tried HULU and it sucks big time.
Help. I mostly watch movies.

Thanks

Neil

I originally joined Prime for the free shipping. The video was a raisin in my cookie. They do have some decent movies at times, also really good shows like Bosch, but seasons are short. You can rent a lot of movies for about the same price as video rentals or even buy some if you like to rewatch them every so often. You can also buy seasons of old tv shows at very cheap prices when you consider a season back in the day might be 30 episodes. The stuff you buy is available to you forever, just like Kindle books.

If you buy an Amazon Stick ($20-$25) you have access to lots of online services, often with free weeks or months before you get charged. Even then, the fees are nominal if you only use one or two. I often sign up for the trial then burn through their library before the trial is over. The one I keep is Britbox, which has lots of detective shows, Sharpes's Rifles and comedies.

I'm dating myself, but right now I'm watching Mr. Ed, The Addams Family, and Yancy Derringer, plus the first season of Green Acres. My Chinese wife loves these old shows, which were made about the time she was born. She also likes the history shows like Victory at Sea. Her view of history has been skewed by the propaganda she was fed in school, so it's very revealing to her.

Bottom line is that Prime gives you lots of choices at minimal cost and with a single point of payment through Amazon. I'm finishing up some stuff on Netflix, but it's headed for the dustbin soon. Their selections are getting worse and also political.
Posted By: nmitchell Re: NETFLIX alternative - 06/01/18
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
Netflix alternatives: Learn to reload, learn to forge, learn gunsmithing, make your own fishing lures, plant a garden, raise chickens, learn welding, shoot sporting clays, play cards, play board games.

Just some thoughts.

I do reload and do my own lite gunsmithing. Woodworking is my other main hobby. Ihave lots of things to keep busy.
But I also love to watch movies especially old movies.

Neil
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: NETFLIX alternative - 06/01/18
I've spent a bunch of $ on Kindle books and Audible downloads since i fired Netflix a few years ago.... I like supporting authors writing stuff that isn't Leftist. Amazon getting a big cut of that $ is not a warm fuzzy feeling though. I really do need to get a library card.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: NETFLIX alternative - 06/01/18
I hate movies, but the Halfrican Queen from the South Side of Chicago made my NFLX shares go up.

I have been involved with Netflix since 1995. I consider it a longshot with lots of potential. The little $44B company is playing with the big guys.
Posted By: las Re: NETFLIX alternative - 06/01/18
You guys have a working TV? I did out in the Bush (OK- semi-Bush) - now that I'm back in "civilization" I don't. Too busy. As I would be in the real Bush...which doesn't have reception anyway.

And don't really care...

Civilization ain't all it's cracked up to be... smile
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: NETFLIX alternative - 06/01/18
Hmm, the "I don't even own a TV" gambit... well played. Bonus points if you have a current library card... cool

Okay true confession, I still like movies... usually older stuff with minimum PC involved. I have a Prime account so I'll watch movies there and occasionally rent films from Amazon. I'm keeping an eye on this thread looking for other options....
Posted By: shaman Re: NETFLIX alternative - 06/01/18
I've got Netflix and Amazon Prime.

I've had the former about 4 years. It took me about 2 years to go through all the stuff I really wanted to see. The last two have been a struggle to find stuff.

Prime has always been a struggle. It has gobs of content, but quite a bit of it is dreck.

What I watch most these days is Youtube. We watch it via a Youtube app for the Amazon Fire box. Youtube on a big screen can be cool. I just scroll through the stuff that is recommended for me, and there's always something.
© 24hourcampfire