Home
Posted By: curdog4570 Gun Safe Question - 06/14/18
I’ve got a good safe that I’ve had for fifteen years. When I moved in with Peggy four years ago, I put the safe in a metal outbuilding, along with most of my long guns. There was one of the white bags that attracts moisture and I had never changed it out. Bad mistake.

Last Fall when I opened the safe, all guns except for the stainless ones were covered in rust. I got them cleaned up and put them in padded cases and have kept them in the house.

I just installed a light bulb in the safe and put some large white bags in it. BTW, when I opened the safe and found the rust last year, the white bag was soaking wet.

Now for my question........ would the guns be better off in the safe if I leave them in cases, or better if I store them in it naked?

We have some humid days but they don’t usually hang around long and these guns have spent their life in this general area with no rust except for that one time.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Gun Safe Question - 06/14/18
Never leave guns in cases - always out of 'em, and with the actions open.. Buy a Goldenrod and plug it in... Ensure you inspect the safe's contents at least twice a year.. And keep all guns oiled down - outside and inside (bore/chamber) and free of fingerprints..
Posted By: CCCC Re: Gun Safe Question - 06/14/18
Gene, I'm sorry about the rust issues and hope all cleaned up without permanent damage. That bag of mineral/whatever is designed to draw moisture from the air, but the bag will drip water when saturated - so one needs a catch hose to route the water out of the safe. With such an approach, it would be better to use small containers of desiccant that periodically can be removed/heated/dried and placed back in.

Most of the damage from humidity on metallic surfaces is prompted by changes of temperature - condensation effects - and this is exacerbated in a closed environment like your safe where there is no air exgange. And, the overall fluctuations of temperature with humidity are more dramatic in a metal out building. So keeping an even temperature in the safe will help a lot. Redneck's suggestion about the "goldenrod" is positive to that issue.

No matter what, in those conditions don't store them in a fabric or leather case. The case absorbs moisture and adds to the threat. Is there a chance you could move the safe inside - maybe put Peggy's makeup vanity or sewing machine out there?
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Gun Safe Question - 06/14/18
Originally Posted by Redneck
Never leave guns in cases - always out of 'em, and with the actions open.. Buy a Goldenrod and plug it in... Ensure you inspect the safe's contents at least twice a year.. And keep all guns oiled down - outside and inside (bore/chamber) and free of fingerprints..

THIS. Goldenrod is the key.

rod
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: Gun Safe Question - 06/14/18
My gunsmith cleaned up all the bolt actions and I did the lever actions and shotguns. The Ruger NO 1 had to be reblued and is fine now.

Peggy would be cool with the safe in the house but it’s too damned heavy to be moving around and I’ve never known a woman who wasn’t constantly rearranging furniture......
sometimes entire rooms.

I’ll be getting a goldenrod.

Thanks for all the replies.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Gun Safe Question - 06/14/18
Originally Posted by curdog4570
but it’s too damned heavy to be moving around and I’ve never known a woman who wasn’t constantly rearranging furniture......
sometimes entire rooms.

Goldenrod and naked.

The safe should be bolted down so it much more difficult to get into. not bolted down they flip them on their backs and their in within several minutes and gone.

With the safe up next to a wall and bolted to the floor it's much harder for them to get the leverage to get in.

Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Gun Safe Question - 06/14/18
Bore Stores gun socks are good. I stack rifles in a gun vault in these. They protect from dings and rust. I also store handguns in these also. Bore stores is one brand and I think Brownells sells their own brand. I stack pistols like cord wood in one of my safes. Hasbeen
Posted By: dale06 Re: Gun Safe Question - 06/14/18
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Bore Stores gun socks are good. I stack rifles in a gun vault in these. They protect from dings and rust. I also store handguns in these also. Bore stores is one brand and I think Brownells sells their own brand. I stack pistols like cord wood in one of my safes. Hasbeen

That’s what I do, silicone treated Sox and a golden rod. Never an issue.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Gun Safe Question - 06/14/18
I’ve got a good safe that I’ve had for fifteen years. When I moved in with Peggy four years ago, I put the safe in a metal outbuilding, along with most of my long guns. There was one of the white bags that attracts moisture and I had never changed it out. Bad mistake.

Last Fall when I opened the safe, all guns except for the stainless ones were covered in rust. I got them cleaned up and put them in padded cases and have kept them in the house.

I just installed a light bulb in the safe and put some large white bags in it. BTW, when I opened the safe and found the rust last year, the white bag was soaking wet.

Now for my question........ would the guns be better off in the safe if I leave them in cases, or better if I store them in it naked?

We have some humid days but they don’t usually hang around long and these guns have spent their life in this general area with no rust except for that one time.

I use the tubs that are filed with the white muck that attracts moisture, I change them out regularly and am constantly shocked at the amount of water in a closed safe bolted in to a closed closet.
The Company I retired from ships their planes overseas in containers so they have plenty of the large white bags to donate to me.

And, yes, they soak up a tremendous amount of water.

Peggy is going to the city today and checking at Academy to see if they carry the Goldenrod. If not, I’ll order one off the internet.
Posted By: Anjin Re: Gun Safe Question - 06/14/18
I have an old 35 year kid Treadlok. I had the same problem with corrosion in Ohio, but where I now live in the high desert of New Mexico, humidity is almost nonexistent .

In terms of moving a safe, much of the weight is in the door and removing it makes it far more easy ro move in parts! wink

Norm
Posted By: HilhamHawk Re: Gun Safe Question - 06/14/18
I’ve never known a woman who wasn’t constantly rearranging furniture......

Don't you know how to say no? And really mean it? Mine knows I don't care if she rearranges anything else in the house (and often does), but that the location of my safe is non-negotiable.
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk

Don't you know how to say no? And really mean it? Mine knows I don't care if she rearranges anything else in the house (and often does), but that the location of my safe is non-negotiable.

Maybe you ain’t partial to pooosey.......... I am.
Posted By: HilhamHawk Re: Gun Safe Question - 06/14/18
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk

Maybe you ain’t partial to pooosey.......... I am.

A man's got to stand up for what's right........ regardless of the consequences...... wink
Peggy and Academy came thru and I now have a Goldenrod. I honestly can’t see why it would be any better than a light bulb but it’s rude to ask for advice and not take it.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Gun Safe Question - 06/14/18
Move it inside...
Posted By: deflave Re: Gun Safe Question - 06/15/18
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Move it inside...

Yep.
Posted By: charleeontop Re: Gun Safe Question - 06/15/18
All above is good advice pick your poisen.
DESICCANT is cheap and reuseable if dried check here.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/9LBS-BLUE-INDICATING-SILICA-GEL-DESICCANT-BAGGED-BULK/142804778366?hash=item213fd3fd7e:g:yR8AAOSwwkFancKz
charlee
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Gun Safe Question - 06/15/18
I have a 22 foot long basement walk in safe for cheap long guns. They have been getting mold spots [but not rust as long as they do not touch the concrete], even with two 24" Golden rod heaters running year round. Some moisture is coming through the concrete wall.

I am now using a dehumidifier, but I have to dump out the 9 ounces of water once a week.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DC5PPWM
Posted By: hemiallen Re: Gun Safe Question - 06/15/18
Peggy and Academy came thru and I now have a Goldenrod. I honestly can’t see why it would be any better than a light bulb but it’s rude to ask for advice and not take it.

The goldenrod won't burn out and quit working, lightbulbs will.

And until you open it up you will never know if the bulb burned out, or is still working.
Posted By: LoadClear Re: Gun Safe Question - 06/15/18
There's a happy medium with humidity and firearms... the metal likes 0%, and the wood likes a little more.

Since there will never be perfect conditions for both the wood and the metal, humidity control can't be your only concern, I've had good luck using FrogLube on the metal, but my firearms never spend more than a few months without hands on care,

Another option is this:

https://www.brownells.com/gun-clean...rust-prevention/rust-veto-prod26344.aspx

Modern version of Cosmoline.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Gun Safe Question - 06/15/18
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I have a 22 foot long basement walk in safe for cheap long guns. They have been getting mold spots [but not rust as long as they do not touch the concrete], even with two 24" Golden rod heaters running year round. Some moisture is coming through the concrete wall. I am now using a dehumidifier, but I have to dump out the 9 ounces of water once a week.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DC5PPWM
How recently was the concrete installed?
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Gun Safe Question - 06/15/18
Gene,

do you put any RIG on them when you park them for longer periods of time?

Sycamore
Posted By: 222ai Re: Gun Safe Question - 06/15/18
A friend in marshall tx likes his pro air 1200
Posted By: WranglerJohn Re: Gun Safe Question - 06/15/18
I use two of these dehumidifiers that plug into a wall socket to recharge www.amazon.com/Stack-On-SPAD-1500-Rechargeable-Cordless-Dehumidifier/dp/B00W9M57ZK When the pellets turn pink, just plug them in and they warm up and the pellets turn blue. The interval between recharges depends on the humidity in your home.That's about as easy as it gets. I use both in one safe, along with a Golden Rod, and I coat all long storage items with RIG. My safe is inside the house, with central air conditioning that serves as a dehumidifier, and from the moisture drain on the exterior wall, the air inside is fairly dry. I hate rust.
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: Gun Safe Question - 06/15/18
I’ve been using Remoil spray since I had the rust plague. I’ve got a 75 watt bulb burning in it now and I’m heading to the lake for a few days. The safe should be dried out by the time I get back and I’ll install the Goldenrod and some new white bags.

Then I’ll put all my long guns in it naked. Except for the Marlin 45 70 which is an integral part of my old pickup.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Gun Safe Question - 06/15/18
Originally Posted by hemiallen

The goldenrod won't burn out and quit working, lightbulbs will.

And until you open it up you will never know if the bulb burned out, or is still working.

AND the goldenrod "spreads" the heat out over a greater area...
Posted By: TomT Re: Gun Safe Question - 06/15/18
You don't want your guns/safe in a non-climate controlled environment (IE: outside, non-heated garage). The goldenrod is good, but I suggest buying a Hygrometer to keep in the safe(s) too (link for sample purposes).

https://www.amazon.com/Cigar-Oasis-...amp;sr=8-15&keywords=humidity+gauges

-TomT
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Gun Safe Question - 06/15/18
Good advice TomT. I just ordered a hygrometer from Amazon for my gunroom.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Gun Safe Question - 06/15/18

51 years ago.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Gun Safe Question - 06/15/18
tag
© 24hourcampfire