Home
Posted By: fgold767 Rabid raccoon - 06/22/18
Walked outside a while ago to wash some deck chairs and lo and behold an obviously rabid raccoon was standing in yard all bowed up and staggering. Like a good citizen I called 911 to call animal control....their off today...ok....can I shoot it? NOOOOO
well send the cops....20minutes later 2 showed up and walked around....told me to shoot it if it came back and came towards me.....wow....what advice....guess I'll go load up the 20 gauge and leave it at the door......

I know.....SSS....got crazy lady across the street would have gone nuts if I hadn't called cops first......
Posted By: ST50 Re: Rabid raccoon - 06/22/18
Same thing happened here only Nebraska Game and Parks employee said shoot it. I did and told them where we buried it. Hopefully they handled it from there.
Posted By: GunReader Re: Rabid raccoon - 06/22/18
Originally Posted by fgold767
Walked outside a while ago to wash some deck chairs and lo and behold an obviously rabid raccoon was standing in yard all bowed up and staggering. Like a good citizen I called 911 to call animal control....their off today...ok....can I shoot it? NOOOOO
well send the cops....20minutes later 2 showed up and walked around....told me to shoot it if it came back and came towards me.....wow....what advice....guess I'll go load up the 20 gauge and leave it at the door......

I know.....SSS....got crazy lady across the street would have gone nuts if I hadn't called cops first......

I understand your concern about the lady across the street, but wouldn't a dead, rabid racoon have exonerated you?

Due to your timidity that threat is still out there. Maybe the next time it shows up it will infect a child or a pet?
Posted By: Gus Re: Rabid raccoon - 06/22/18
it's becoming a cultural thing. a ton of rabies infected raccoons in ne georgia. folks down in florida openly feed them and they come out in daylight demanding food.

i've always believed if there were animals about at night they were looking and scavenging for food. during the day, they're suspect of serious medical issues.

coons walking around in the daylight is a bad sign of things to come. noone wants to take rabies anti-serum. and it's not cheap either.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Rabid raccoon - 06/22/18

You're county health dept. (likely state lab) will want to test it to confirm rabies.

When you shoot it, please don't shoot it in the head. That make testing orders of magnitude more difficult.

Wear gloves. Put it in doubled plastic bags. Put gloves in second bag. Call your PD or health dept.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Rabid raccoon - 06/22/18
Sweet Jesus, I can't fathom not shooting it. WTF have men become.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Rabid raccoon - 06/22/18
Didn't the Beatles have a song about him?
Posted By: fgold767 Re: Rabid raccoon - 06/22/18
Well steelhead and gunreader, since when I first saw it all I had on was fllip flops and shorts, I had no way to just shoot it. Maybe you live where you can just go bang all you want, but I don't ...now that there is a record if I see it again I will shoot it for you.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Rabid raccoon - 06/22/18
I keep one of those 1000 FPS air guns loaded around the house for any animal that is about to be a nuisance. May not kill whatever I'm shooting at but I figure a head shot will slow it down. So far I've only used it on an injured squirrel but there is a raccoon that comes out around 8:30ish in the evening when it rains.

I doubt anyone would notice a .22 short though.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Rabid raccoon - 06/22/18
One day before I went off to work my two terriers grabbed a rather large coon in the back yard. The big one had the coon by its throat and the other by the rear thigh. I pried both of them off the coon, really thought I was going to get bit either by the dogs or the fing racoon. Discharging a weapon is illegal within city limits. The coon staggered off and I cleaned up both dogs who were covered in Coon Blood . I called the Cops, they got there 15 minutes later and one told me that there is no way they tangled with a racoon. It would have killed those little dogs. I told him , you don't understand they were on top. I then called my Vet to have one dog checked out that had a bite on his shoulder, both dogs got rabie boosters that day.

I went to work for a while and then came home n to take the dogs to the vet, I happened to look on the other side of the fence and there was the coon sitting at the base of an oak tree, looking completely out of it. I called the cops again, 45 minutes later they showed up and one took an AR out of the trunk of his cruiser, I led him to the fence and he said he could not get a shot off without it richocheting. He said he was not about to go near the coon because it might charge him. WTF, he told me they used to carry 22LRs for this purpose, I told him he could borrow my 22 rifle and he agreed. He Killed it , animal control picked it up and sent the head to Raleigh to be examined, it came back negative for Rabies.

In retrospect I should have just gone to the garage , grabbed a shovel and killed the SOB when the dogs had him in a death grip .

My new next door neighbors(just moved in from Florida) are feeding a racoon, I have a pellet gun ready for it if it comes into our yard. Fgold I was dealing with the Kville police FWIW

Posted By: Ranger_Green Re: Rabid raccoon - 06/22/18
[quote=GunReader

I understand your concern about the lady across the street, but wouldn't a dead, rabid racoon have exonerated you?

Due to your timidity that threat is still out there. Maybe the next time it shows up it will infect a child or a pet?

[/quote]

In a rational world of common sense adults, yes.

In this irrational drama driven society we live in now, I am not so sure.
Posted By: sawbuck Re: Rabid raccoon - 06/22/18
Originally Posted by 5sdad

I swear on Gideons Bible!
Posted By: DMc Re: Rabid raccoon - 06/22/18
Originally Posted by KFWA

Nope, a .22 short is pretty quiet, but even so, I've ordered a can to make it even quieter... 8 month wait!

If you think about that, it's stupid ridiculous to have to wait that long.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: Rabid raccoon - 06/22/18
I had a similar experience at my first house- I lived in town and had a raccoon in my yard acting strangely. I shot it with a 22 but someone called the police regarding "shots fired" in the area. The cops knew me well as I was on the local volunteer fire department and had worked part time as an officer for 5 years and I was their first stop. I told them what happened, gave them the carcass, and received a short lecture about shooting in town. The animal was clear of rabies but had signs of significant trauma such as being hit by a car.

I now live in the country and rid myself of a good dozen coons a year. If the dogs don't rustle one up then the dog proof traps around the chicken coop take their share. I have two down this week plus one of the skunks that have moved under a shed. This last one is a real bugger, he dug a new exit to avoid the box trap I set for him. I might have to go with leg holds at his exits and hope it doesn't dig a new exit. I would put a can of cat food out in the driveway and shoot le Pue when he came out but that would mean staying up all night waiting and I have too many things going on to do that.
Posted By: Deerwhacker444 Re: Rabid raccoon - 06/22/18
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Rabid raccoon - 06/22/18
Man that brings back a memory for me. My grandparents were farmers and between spring and fall my dad, mom and younger brother spent most weekends there. I was 7 or 8 years old and my brother was 4 years younger. We were playing out in the yard after supper and a rabid coon came staggering towards us. My brother wanted to pet it and even though I had no idea what rabies was I knew by instinct something wasn't right.

I grabbed my brother and took him up on the porch and yelled in the house that there was a coon in the backyard that walked right up to us. I remember my grandpa jumped up flew out the door and grabbed a fire brick off the porch. He walked up to the coon and threw that brick on his head killing him graveyard dead. He then grabbed a pair of gloves, picked up the coon and threw it on the cob pile which he then doused with diesel fuel and lit on fire. I remember at the time it was one of the coolest things I'd ever seen. Thanks for the memory!

Mike
Posted By: MILES58 Re: Rabid raccoon - 06/23/18
I had a little grey fox flopping around in the road in front of the house having seizures and drooling. It took me all of 2 microseconds to decide to get a rifle. I shot it on the neighbors property and he came out while I was digging the hole. I wouldn't have cared a bit did he call the cops. That's a situation that presents a pretty clear and unequivocal threat and just needs to be handled right now.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Rabid raccoon - 06/23/18
Originally Posted by fgold767
Well steelhead and gunreader, since when I first saw it all I had on was fllip flops and shorts, I had no way to just shoot it. Maybe you live where you can just go bang all you want, but I don't ...now that there is a record if I see it again I will shoot it for you.

It doesn't matter, men have a duty, period. What the fugg kind of society is it when someone has to call animal control, cops, Justice League.

It blows my mind that you need the ok from the KING before you will do anything. It's easy to see why this country is so fugged from this thread.

Sheep, Sweet Jesus
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
[quote=GunReader

In this irrational drama driven society we live in now, I am not so sure.[/quote]

Right is right. It's amazing how many of you consider this OK.

Yeah, a fight is coming always gets me laughing, especially after threads like this.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Rabid raccoon - 06/23/18
one of the few times I into the woods with out a gun, was on the back part of our 60, heard a growl, and there was a big coon, middle of the day, he was acting funny, and come at me I hit him with a stick, and be lined for the cabin, came back with a 22 rifle, but never saw him after that. I told a Deputy I knew and he said there had been a few rabid skunks in the area!
Posted By: RedAstrachan Re: Rabid raccoon - 06/23/18
I got a 22 rimfire AND a 22 Hornet leaning at the kitchen slider right now for ALL raccoons, even those exhibiting normal behavior. Also lets the mudshark across the street know she had better keep her pet in check.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Rabid raccoon - 06/23/18
Our city shoots every raccoon that comes into town. What most people don't realize is that raccoon droppings contain millions of round worm larva and it will go through human skin like when the grandchildren are out in the yard bare footed.
Posted By: deflave Re: Rabid raccoon - 06/23/18
I don’t know that the 20 gauge is the route I’d take in an urban environment.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Rabid raccoon - 06/23/18
SSSTFU
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Rabid raccoon - 06/23/18
[quote=GunReader

In this irrational drama driven society we live in now, I am not so sure.[/quo

^^^^^^^^^
This
Posted By: slumlord Re: Rabid raccoon - 06/23/18
Phoucking trash panda

set a live trap for that fugger

could always kill it with a bow if you need a stealth approach. i'd kill every one even the non-rabid acting ones.
Originally Posted by Prwlr
[quote=GunReader

In this irrational drama driven society we live in now, I am not so sure.[/quo

^^^^^^^^^
This

Sweet Jesus
Posted By: deflave Re: Rabid raccoon - 06/23/18
CALL THE POLICE!!!!!
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Rabid raccoon - 06/23/18
375 h&h
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Rabid raccoon - 06/23/18
Or 44 mag
Posted By: deflave Re: Rabid raccoon - 06/24/18
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Or 44 mag

Over penetrates.
Posted By: fgold767 Re: Rabid raccoon - 06/24/18
Well I went for the 20 gauge but by the time I got outside it was gone....so it is a mute point. I don't normally carry a shotgun or anything in going out to wash a car or whatever. If it shows back up there is now means of extermination at easy access.
Posted By: Stickfight Re: Rabid raccoon - 06/24/18
This is the state of masculinity today: men reduced to calling the police on raccoons.
Posted By: deflave Re: Rabid raccoon - 06/24/18
I’d go with the two-two. 20 gauge seems a bit... overt.

Just my opinion.
Posted By: DryPowder Re: Rabid raccoon - 06/24/18
Originally Posted by sawbuck
Originally Posted by 5sdad

I swear on Gideons Bible!

Posted By: ConradCA Re: Rabid raccoon - 06/24/18
Originally Posted by KFWA
I keep one of those 1000 FPS air guns loaded around the house for any animal that is about to be a nuisance. May not kill whatever I'm shooting at but I figure a head shot will slow it down. So far I've only used it on an injured squirrel but there is a raccoon that comes out around 8:30ish in the evening when it rains.

Airguns are noisier that a .22.
Posted By: Ranger_Green Re: Rabid raccoon - 06/24/18
Originally Posted by Stickfight
This is the state of masculinity today: men reduced to calling the police on raccoons.

This is the state of society today - use a firearm, face criminal charges.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Rabid raccoon - 06/24/18
I would say that most dolts that live in subdivisions (ie- crazy old lady, etc) are so consumed in their tv programs, running a vacuum, air conditioner running wide open, or just too zonked out on prozac, [bleep] or whatever to catch onto a single gunshot. They either wont know what it was or where it came from or completely miss it.

My mother in law- aka edith bunker...lives about 1/8 mile away from us up the road. I shoot my 6.5x284 off my master bedroom deck on occasion, discharge my savage 10ml. I always ask if i bothered her or woke her up...her and the old man both say they never hear me shooting. Good grief!!! Old people are something else.

Well insulated house, heat pump running, tv blasting for old fugg's hearing deficits.

i say go for it
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Rabid raccoon - 06/24/18
Shoot the coon, blame it on MS13.

Done.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Rabid raccoon - 06/24/18
Yep, what slumlord said, I was shooting a .22 with high speed hollow points from inside the attached garage on Friday and Sweetness said that she never heard it from the bedroom. You might want to drop that back to those quiet CCI's suggested earlier, but one shot from a rifle when you are not expecting it is hard to pin point. Get rid of the things. Have you ever seen what a few of them will do to a corn field?
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Rabid raccoon - 06/24/18
I shot one years ago that I'm pretty sure was rabid. I called the game warden and told him I suspected it was rabid & could bring it to him for testing. He told me that there hadn't been a case of rabies in my country in many years and he was SURE it wasn't rabies. Reading between the lines he didn't want to mess with it and didn't want it out that there had been a case of rabies in the country because it would make his job harder. I picked it up with a shovel & threw it on a brush pile and burned it.
Posted By: widrahthaar Re: Rabid raccoon - 06/24/18
Must be different where you live. No way is a single gun shot causing a problem in my neighborhood this close to July 4th.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Rabid raccoon - 06/24/18
My little dog was barking fiercely in the woods. I own 39 acres of N. Carolina mountain wilderness.
I went down to see, he had cornered a little raccoon, this was like a teen age coon maybe 8 pounds. The poor animal was sick as hell and was just sitting on his ass leaning against a bush. I'm sure my little dog had attacked and bitten the coon.

I grabbed up my doggie and took him into the house gave him a quick bath, a shower in the kitchen sink to wash off any coon rabies saliva.
Told the girlfriend to haul ass to the vet, even though the dog of course had had rabies shot already.

I got two big plastic garbage bags, and the Smith and Wesson, and went down and shot the poor raccoon, put him in a garbage bag, put that in a garbage bag, and took them down to the dumpster I didn't want to risk my little dog getting into that dead diseased animal.
Vet gave the dog a rabies update shot. Dog was fine, he figured he had shown the coon who the boss was.

On another occasion I was down in Atlanta in a rich neighborhood where the rich white folks live, Buckhead. It was a sunny Saturday morning about 10 am, suburban neighborhood. I saw a big raccoon in a yard, he was sprawling around, obviously sick as hell.
A 17 year old kid was standing there with a yard rake in his hand. I got out, and the kid's dad came out of the house he said he had just called 911 they were sending someone out.

Now, I was tempted to use the .38 on that coon but it is illegal to discharge a firearm there. About the time I shoot the coon, the cop car drives up, I am going to be in handcuffs for a visit to the Fulton County Jail.
No thanks. Looked like the kid with the rake, and dad, had the situation under control. Anyway, I would rather that kid get bitten, and go for a series of rabies shots, than for me to face felony firearms charges in Fulton County Georgia. No thanks.

I often think I was born 200 years too late, or, at least 60 years too late because I guarantee you if you showed up in that yard in 1958 and shot the coon, if the cop saw it he would thank me for saving him a bullet and that would be that.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Rabid raccoon - 06/25/18

"Momma used to beat 'em off with a broom."
© 24hourcampfire