Home
Posted By: smarquez Hunting Coat/Jacket - 06/27/18
What is the go to for the well dressed Camper?
Temps will not be lower than 20 or so overnight and could hit the 70 during the daytime and 99% chance the weather will be dry. I wouldn't mind an all in one layered system type coat. I have looked at Bass Pro, Cabelas and Browning. It seems that everything now is made in China or Viet Nam. I'm not really interested in Bass Pro unless they have something new that is over the top. I would like to keep it under $300.
Thanks.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Hunting Coat/Jacket - 06/27/18
Well dressed as in fashionable? Damned if I know. smile

I know what works for me, either my cheap old Bass Pro fishing jacket, a waterproof shell with a removable light liner or a thicker hoodie like a farmer would wear and a nylon fold up wind/rain jacket to go over if wanted, or alone for sun and wind protection.

To quote Sam the Hobbit in Lord of the Rings, "Handsome is as handsome does."
Posted By: boliep Re: Hunting Coat/Jacket - 06/27/18

Look at the Kuiu product line.
Posted By: deflave Re: Hunting Coat/Jacket - 06/27/18
I’d get a down shirt for night time.

Wear whatever during the day.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Hunting Coat/Jacket - 06/27/18
For my birthday, my dad got me an off brand parka. It's heavy fleece, waterproof, a hood that really works, lots of large pockets, and uninsulated so it can be used in warmer weather or layered over virtually anything. That was over 30 years ago and it's still my go-to hunting or camp jacket. I can't believe how long it's worn. It'll last longer than I will.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Hunting Coat/Jacket - 06/27/18
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
For my birthday, my dad got me an off brand parka. It's heavy fleece, waterproof, a hood that really works, lots of large pockets, and uninsulated so it can be used in warmer weather or layered over virtually anything. That was over 30 years ago and it's still my go-to hunting or camp jacket. I can't believe how long it's worn. It'll last longer than I will.

Problem solved. All the OP needs is for your dad to buy him a jacket.
Posted By: mrmarklin Re: Hunting Coat/Jacket - 06/27/18
Filson makes great all weather gear. Give their product line a look.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Hunting Coat/Jacket - 06/27/18
M65 Field Jacket with removable liner.

KISS Method. smile
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Hunting Coat/Jacket - 06/27/18
From 20 to 70 requires a layering system. Forget an all-in-one coat.

Layer 1--lightweight synthetic or merino wool pullover close-fitting long-sleeve shirt.
Layer 2--fleece soft-shell fabric hoodie with at least half-zipper.
Layer 3--fuzzy fleece vest that zips through the neck comfortably.
Layer 4--light waterproof breathable shell such as GoreTex PacLite, eVent, or Precip.

Adjust as needed. Be comfortable, dry, warm, and ventilated.
Posted By: tzone Re: Hunting Coat/Jacket - 06/27/18
20 at night and 70 during the day calls for a hoodie at most. Maybe a flannel shirt with an UA type layer on the bottom.
Posted By: tzone Re: Hunting Coat/Jacket - 06/27/18
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Layer 1--lightweight synthetic or merino wool pullover close-fitting long-sleeve shirt.
Layer 4--light waterproof breathable shell such as GoreTex PacLite, eVent, or Precip.

You wear 4 layers for 20 degrees?
Posted By: smokepole Re: Hunting Coat/Jacket - 06/27/18
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

I'd say it all depends on what the OP will be doing. If he's just taking it easy, hanging in camp an all in one coat is fine, and he'll probably only need it at night and first thing in the morning. If he's not hiking, climbing etc there's no need for a breathable shell either.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Hunting Coat/Jacket - 06/27/18
If it's Dakota-style 20 degrees, then yes. For starters!
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Hunting Coat/Jacket - 06/27/18
I’ve spent a lot of test time, money, and such. Honest to God, low cost Polartec with Columbia Omni-Tech rain pants & Jackets are my go-to.
Posted By: Semper_Fi57 Re: Hunting Coat/Jacket - 06/27/18
I'm with rockinbar. My camo field jacket with a quilted liner; all I need!

Jim
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Hunting Coat/Jacket - 06/27/18
Originally Posted by smarquez
What is the go to for the well dressed Camper?
Temps will not be lower than 20 or so overnight and could hit the 70 during the daytime and 99% chance the weather will be dry. I wouldn't mind an all in one layered system type coat. I have looked at Bass Pro, Cabelas and Browning. It seems that everything now is made in China or Viet Nam. I'm not really interested in Bass Pro unless they have something new that is over the top. I would like to keep it under $300.
Thanks.

Just use a bush jacket (M65) with a quilted liner if needs must.
Posted By: kingston Re: Hunting Coat/Jacket - 06/27/18
I buy most of my gear on eBay. I can’t stand the China shït. Layers and light weight wool base layers are the foundation of a good system. A down shirt or jacket is a great suggestion for hanging around. They’re lightweight and compress into a tiny volume.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Hunting Coat/Jacket - 06/27/18
I agree with the light weight wool. I usually use a first layer of UA, then wool. If you need more, just a shell on top to keep the wind out.
Posted By: ronc Re: Hunting Coat/Jacket - 06/27/18
Filson Mackinaw Cruiser would work well .
Posted By: smarquez Re: Hunting Coat/Jacket - 06/28/18
Originally Posted by Terryk
I agree with the light weight wool. I usually use a first layer of UA, then wool. If you need more, just a shell on top to keep the wind out.

This is probably the way I will end up going.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Hunting Coat/Jacket - 06/28/18
Filson is good, but it might break the $300 limit
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Hunting Coat/Jacket - 06/28/18
Originally Posted by tzone
20 at night and 70 during the day calls for a hoodie at most. Maybe a flannel shirt with an UA type layer on the bottom.

Couldn't agree more Tom. People way overthink and overspend this.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Hunting Coat/Jacket - 06/28/18
Haven't seen anybody mention L. L. Bean . I always liked their stuff, was always as-described and looked good. Still have one of their Warmup Jackets I wear as a truck jacket around town fall through spring on all but the coldest days. Would be nice below 40° but a little more than you're looking for I think. Look under their sweaters & sweatshirts category.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Hunting Coat/Jacket - 06/28/18
Nice inquiry. When living/hunting back east and up in the PNW, I bought a nice Filson wool jacket (Seattle) - very well made, looked great, tight wool, warm even when wet. Got it big enough that I could wear a warm shirt under it and, when Gore Tex arrived, got a simple topper.

So, when a jacket was needed, bottom layer would be a LS tee or undershirt with Filson over that. Added a warm (maybe light down) shirt under the jacket when needed. GoreTex added when needed. This worked great for me, especially up in Washington.

Then - I came back to the SW, and camo became more popular. Have not work that Filson hunting for quite a while. But, I like it.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Hunting Coat/Jacket - 06/28/18
Originally Posted by mrmarklin

Good advice^^^^^^^^

I layer up with wool......wool shirt......wool vest.....wool jacket......

I've had one of these for about 20yrs.......highly recommend....

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/111758?page=mens-maine-guide-zip-front-jac-shirt-plaid
Posted By: kingston Re: Hunting Coat/Jacket - 06/28/18
Originally Posted by smarquez
Originally Posted by Terryk

This is probably the way I will end up going.

I'm referring to 100% merino wool, soft and fine enough that you can wear it next to your skin as the first layer. It's a game changer, it stays clean, is naturally odor resistant, etc.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Hunting Coat/Jacket - 06/29/18
my fave hunting jacket is a River's West Jacket. it's waterproof fleece, don't like it for raingear as when the fleece gets too wet it gets heavy and takes a long time to dry out. has a hood, thumbholes in the sleeves, two big magnetic chest pockets, slash hand pockets and two big mesh pockets inside that I can carry lunch, water bottle and misc. crap. Since it's waterproof, it's windproof. It's become my go to for moose season where we have similar temps. Pard has been eyeing it for awhile now, he knows a good garment when he sees one.

quick look and it seems it may be discontinued. Figures if I like something they quit making it. Can't recall the goofy name they tagged it with. But it works and works well.
Posted By: RAS Re: Hunting Coat/Jacket - 06/29/18

+1
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: Hunting Coat/Jacket - 06/29/18
I have found my old army field jacket to be able to cover just about any condition...been wearing it for close to 40 years..
Posted By: Bootsfishing Re: Hunting Coat/Jacket - 06/29/18
I've got one of those Filson tin cloth jackets, the four pockets on front I'd let go for $75. Very good shape, size Large ...tan
Posted By: DMc Re: Hunting Coat/Jacket - 06/29/18
Originally Posted by kid0917
Filson is good, but it might break the $300 limit

....and I made the mistake of out growing one.
Posted By: sactoller Re: Hunting Coat/Jacket - 06/29/18
Good stuff and made in the USA, Sixsite Gear.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Hunting Coat/Jacket - 06/29/18
Okay, if someone is going to go with a do-it-all coat for temperate conditions, then just get a lightly-insulated canvas coat with a hood such as those made by Carhartt, Cabelas Roughneck, or something from the farm store.

Buy a can of hydrophobic spray (durable water repellent) and treat the coat especially the shoulders and arms.

You'll be happy for a decade or so, at a cheaper price and better value than most of what has been suggested. And it will be tough enough to bust brush and work on a farm, break the wind and resist a bit of moisture, washable, and be comfortable to wear.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Hunting Coat/Jacket - 06/29/18
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
I have found my old army field jacket to be able to cover just about any condition...been wearing it for close to 40 years..

51 or 65?
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Hunting Coat/Jacket - 06/29/18
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

Good advice^^^^^^^^

I layer up with wool......wool shirt......wool vest.....wool jacket......

I've had one of these for about 20yrs.......highly recommend....

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/111758?page=mens-maine-guide-zip-front-jac-shirt-plaid

Originally Posted by kingston
I'm referring to 100% merino wool, soft and fine enough that you can wear it next to your skin as the first layer. It's a game changer, it stays clean, is naturally odor resistant, etc.

Great minds think alike I see.

I have merino long john base layers, Pendleton or Woolrich shirts, Filson vest, LL Bean jacket along with a bandana, vest and jacket from these folks:

https://asbellwool.com/

My jacket from Asbell is a zip up type as pullovers don't suit my style, when walking and starting to get warm I like to be able to unzip the front and let some heat out without having to remove pack and binocs to remove a pullover. I also requested Teresa make it without the standard hood as I wear a hat at all times and don't like my ears covered or hearing impaired until it gets REALLY cold, by then I have on a stocking cap/toque and scarf.

Wool hunting pants from Cabela's ( I think) from years ago also.

Good luck with your choices.

Geno

PS how come an outdoor/camping forum spell checker doesn't recognize "Pendelton", "Woolrich", or "FIlson" but recognizes "Cabela's". Are we THAT outdated? shocked
Posted By: CCCC Re: Hunting Coat/Jacket - 06/29/18
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco

I had one of these - Korean War surplus and came new in 1956 - it worked GREAT and wore it out hunting in AZ (early AM and evenings) and occasionally northward to ID/MT. Excellent pockets. It was a very tight fabric and so treated it with some waterproofing stuff - got some snow on it up north, but rarely rained on in AZ. Should have bought two - as I recall, it cost about $3 at a surplus store.
© 24hourcampfire