Home
Educate me. Never used one, need one. Main uses will be cleaning vinyl fence, vinyl siding, concrete, brick.

Gas or electric? Around the house will have access to electric but might need an extension cord.....looks like some don't allow that. I do have a generator but it would be a pain to lug around.

Do any allow use of standing water or do all require a garden hose? One that could use standing water from a pond would be useful for cleaning concrete water troughs a couple of times a year.

Recommended brands/models welcome. Thanks
I bought the Ryobi from HD. Electric. Have had great success with it. Quiet, and uses less water than a gas. Also don't have to worry about storing it and gas issues. I use it for the same things you will. I run it on a larger extension cord with no issues.

Think it is a 2200psi, for around $200

Clyde
I have a small electric Ryobi that I use for the same tasks as you, just cleaned my daughter's house and concrete patio/fence earlier this week. It did a good job, no restriction as to extension cord we used a garden hose but I believe that it has an attachment that allows the use of another water source. Best part about mine is it only cost $89.00 on sale at Home Depot.
I had an electric one from Home Depot a few years ago. It sucked. Bought a 'Powerstroke' brand with a Subaru engine, 2800 psi, and it's been excellent. Maybe the newer electrics are better.
Just make sure it has enough pressure and flow to run one of these.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/203105727
Originally Posted by turkish

This is important. Don't just compare pressure numbers, be sure to take the gallons per minute rating into account. PSI without enough GPM is like voltage without amperage to back it up.

Gas......Karcher pump......Honda motor

Pump will go long before the motor.....

my Karcher pump lasted 12 years...Honda still going

Link shows Honda's better motor......$699

most gas pressure washers start at $400ish

Free ship/no tax.......buy once cry once

https://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/Karcher-G3200XH-Pressure-Washer/p6959.html
A guy who does pressure washing as a business told me that with the so called non-professional grade stuff, the pumps wear out at about 100 hours and suggested renting one when I needed it. He is probably right but that is an awful lot of pressure washing for regular people. I'd be hard pressed to do that in a decade. I've found borrowing pressure washers from people who buy them and never use them to be more cost effective! laugh

I had a little electric unit for about 10 years probably 1500 psi that was pretty nice for washing my boat and other odds and ends......basically a strong garden hose. They are better and stronger now no doubt.

So anyway, if you are going to get 100 hours out of a $300 big box unit, you have to weigh the cost vs how much you are going to use it when you consider the better ones. You won't have any problems with a gasoline unit if you put non-ethanol gas in it and use fuel stabilizer. I've had stuff sit for a year and a half and fire right up. Whenever I borrow a pressure washer, I run whatever gas out of it doing whatever it is I borrowed it to do and refill it with good gas and stabilizer for the nice person who loaned it to me.
Bought mine at pressure washer direct too. Most at the big chain stores are junk.
I had an electric Karcher. It was minimally effective. Went to a Ryobi gas and it is amazing, a ton of power, good gas use and starts every time. Got it at Home Depot on sale for about $300. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-3...-Gas-Pressure-Washer-RY803000E/301004439
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
I had an electric one from Home Depot a few years ago. It sucked. Bought a 'Powerstroke' brand with a Subaru engine, 2800 psi, and it's been excellent. Maybe the newer electrics are better.

I have a Rigid with the Subaru engine I bought probably 8 years ago and it has never not started. Its amazing it sits for long periods of time sometimes and I'm scared whether it will start. Couple pulls and it always fires up. Nothing but good to say about that little Subaru engine.
I bought mine in like new condition off Craigslist for $200. No regrets on that purchase.
Originally Posted by k20350
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

I have a Rigid with the Subaru engine I bought probably 8 years ago and it has never not started. Its amazing it sits for long periods of time sometimes and I'm scared whether it will start. Couple pulls and it always fires up. Nothing but good to say about that little Subaru engine.

Good to know. I saw some Simpson branded pressure washers at my Sam's Club and they had Subaru engines on them.
Gas
Rent one don't buy
Whatever you get just make sure it has a Triplex (plunger) pump instead of an Axial Cam (Direct Drive) pump. The Triplex will cost you more, but will outlast the Axial Cam.

I went through a couple of Troy Builts with the Axial Cam pumps before I ended up with a Generac that has a Triplex pump. For me, it was well worth the extra cost.
Bear Cat by Echo is more expensive, mine is a 2700PSI with a honda motor, don't run clorox through the pump hand spray it and then pressure wash. I could have bought a much cheaper unit but have always believe you get what you pay for

just so ya know......ever need a washer pump ?

Toolbarn has it........generic or OEM

https://www.toolbarn.com/ar-north-america-srmv22g26-ez-pkg.html/

IMO, it's ALL about the PSI.

I have a Karcher @ 2400 psi and there have been times it is lacking. If you don't need to knock electrons loose, change the tip.
http://www.watercannon.com/p-2737-pressure-washer-honda-gx200-65hp-28gpm-2800psi.aspx

I just bought this one recently, have only tested it so far. The specs are a misprint, it's actually 3300 PSI. I like the product but was a little disappointed in the service. They didn't let me know it wasn't in stock and wouldn't give me tracking info etc., took 3 weeks to arrive. The pump is AR triplex with a made in China sticker on it eek. Funny how I didn't see that in the description. If you want anything better, most of the guys in a forum I researched build their own belt drive units for more PSI and GPM.
After a fair amount of research, I went with a Simpson / Honda engine.
Tis a workhorse.
I bought one of these last year, plenty of pressure, Honda engine.
https://vortexxpressurewashers.com/product/professional-4000-psi-pressure-washer/
Ronnie
Originally Posted by Fanofthefortyone
I bought one of these last year, plenty of pressure, Honda engine.
https://vortexxpressurewashers.com/product/professional-4000-psi-pressure-washer/
Ronnie

Very nice, that one should serve you well and then some.
I've always heard that if you want the pump to last never let the engine run when you're not squeezing the trigger on the wand.
Originally Posted by turkish

Got one of those. It's the cat's meow.
i bought a washer from Northern Tool. 3000 psi, Honda engine, brass triplex pump. Not cheap, currently about $600, but the pump can be rebuilt by store technicians. It requires a hose with city water pressure. It automatically dilutes whatever it attached to the chemical hose 15:1 with the black nozzle. Higher pressure nozzles have more back pressure so don't suck up chemicals or detergent.
Good soap will help.

Bulk and mix in pump up sprayer. If it’s not aluminum i use a caustic soap. Think oilfield type soap. Works great on gumbo mud.
tag
Gas.

No contest-o.
I got whatever brand Costco carries with the Honda engine. Great little unit and enough power to do anything I ask of it.

Just make sure when you store it for any length of time you run the preservative through the pump to protect it.
Learned decades ago that bargain deals almost always dissapoint. I’ve been through a Snap-On branded electric model that was a real POS. It quit working the week the warranty expired.... Had another no-name brand before that was even worse. Broke down and picked up a Stihl 400. Stihl has never disappointed. Just my 0.02.
Water flow is very important as important or more than psi. Cat pumps are the best, there are many other pumps that are good too. A Honda gx390 engine on a 4gpm and 3600psi pump or higher is ideal. Here’s a Yamaha unit that’s a excellent buy.
http://www.performancetoolcenter.co...V8rCL3AIVymSGCh2GRAPYEAQYASABEgJ3iPD_BwE

I have a Honda gx390 engine with a comet 4gpm, 4000psi pump. It will get any job done you want done and get it done much faster than a lower end unit. You can always adjust your pump pressure back if your cleaning something delicate, it only takes a second to do it.
Stay away from craftsman. Bought one and had to rebuild the pump.
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I got whatever brand Costco carries with the Honda engine. Great little unit and enough power to do anything I ask of it.

Just make sure when you store it for any length of time you run the preservative through the pump to protect it.

An antifreeze for outdoor storage or to prevent oxidation?
AR Blue Clean AR118 1,500 PSI 1.5 GPM Hand Carry Electric Pressure Washer

This is what we have been using for the last few years. Portable, self storing, easy to assemble, never fails fo function. It has worked well for us, and sees quite a bit of use.

Runs about $100.00 on Amazon (iirc)
I’ve had a few- keep the pump lubricant and preservative in the pump. Honda and Subaru engines last and start. Have water going when you start it and run the carburetor dry to kill it if storing at all. I like Costco models because they will take them back.
I appreciate the input from everyone. Looks like things are all over the place on considerations...... Maybe I need to rent/borrow one to determine how much pressure/flow I need for the jobs I do.
bought the Ryobi electric from home depot - its good for washing your car or sidewalk, maybe spraying the neighbors dog - that's about it
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I appreciate the input from everyone. Looks like things are all over the place on considerations...... Maybe I need to rent/borrow one to determine how much pressure/flow I need for the jobs I do.

This is a good idea.

Rent both, hot and cold water machines.
© 24hourcampfire