Home
Posted By: mart Tractor thread - 07/16/18
Bristoe's thread on the 8N ford tractors got me to thinking. In this diverse group there must be a lot of interesting old tractors. It would be fun to take a break from politics and check out some cool old tractors. Stories to go with them is a plus.

Here's one I just got. I took a warehouse forklift in partial trade last year on a piece of property I sold. I used it to load logs on my sawmill but in the snow it was like a turtle on its back. I got a chance to sell it at a considerable profit and went looking for something else that would meet my needs. I looked at several tractors but while some had buckets, none had forks and being Alaska, they were way more expensive than the same tractor in the lower 48.

Then this one popped up. It's a 1951 Clark tug tractor. It originally was used on Elmendorf Airforce Base to move aircraft. Somewhere along the way someone put a blade on the front and a forklift on the back. The previous owner used it to plow snow. It has duals on the back, two six volt batteries, a Chrysler flathead, inline six engine. It's quite a tank really. The rear fenders are close to two inches thick.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Tractor thread - 07/16/18
Now, there's a tool!
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Tractor thread - 07/16/18
I haven't got anything as cool as that, but here's my '49 Cub with cultivators.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Tractor thread - 07/16/18
That's a pretty one.

Let's see some more!
Posted By: mart Re: Tractor thread - 07/17/18
IH Cubs are pretty cool. My granddad had one and he did a lot of farming with it. He had a big Allis Chalmers for the heavy work but did a great deal of work with the Cub.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Tractor thread - 07/17/18
We garden about 2 1/2 - 3 acres and I use a Ford 4000 to disc it up. But everything else is done with the Cub.
Posted By: packrat77 Re: Tractor thread - 07/17/18
My International 300 that I bought for brush hogging the place. It's a '55 or '56 model, same age as me. Runs good and starts right up, although the aftermarket 3 point hydraulics are a little funky. Probably actually the internal pump acting up.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Irving_D Re: Tractor thread - 07/17/18
I've got a 48 8n that I absolutely love, these things have more pulling power than they should for their size. And you can pick them up cheaper than some riding lawnmowers. This is a PTO driven buzz saw I just bought for it.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Tractor thread - 07/17/18
This is a good thread.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Tractor thread - 07/17/18
Originally Posted by packrat77
My International 300 that I bought for brush hogging the place. It's a '55 or '56 model, same age as me. Runs good and starts right up, although the aftermarket 3 point hydraulics are a little funky. Probably actually the internal pump acting up.

[Linked Image]

Those are heavy duty old tractors. I thought seriously about buying this one. If I had enough room for 2 tractors, I'd be tempted to go get it.

https://lexington.craigslist.org/grd/d/international-300-farm-tractor/6630952071.html
My granddad had a buzz similar to that one though it ran off a long belt on his Allis Chalmers. We would go over a few times a year to help him buck up firewood.
Posted By: packrat77 Re: Tractor thread - 07/17/18
Nice looking tractor, not near as purty as yours though.

On a side note. Why the heck don't they put some more pictures on ads when they are trying to sell something? Never could figure it out. It's about like up here, they don't put the price on something they're selling, like it's a secret or something.
Originally Posted by mart
My granddad had a buzz similar to that one though it ran off a long belt on his Allis Chalmers.

WD45?
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Tractor thread - 07/17/18
This is as old as we go.

IH 656 last May pulling a little corn planter(50 acres worth).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Tractor thread - 07/17/18
Had a nice 841 Ford with a one-armed bandit loader and over/under Sherman trans. In road gear it would scare the piss outta ya.... Mother Dearest got it in the dee-vorce....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I got interested in old Internationals when I found a '56 330. Then I found that 300 that I linked to. I studied up on them quite a bit.

International made some heavy duty tractors. I was close to buying that 300,....but some of the parts for them are getting very scarce and some are almost impossible to find. The steering on that 300 I went to look at had gotten loose and there wasn't any available. Steiner's has rebuilt units off and on, but even if they have them, they slap you in the wallet for them.
Originally Posted by packrat77
Nice looking tractor, not near as purty as yours though.

On a side note. Why the heck don't they put some more pictures on ads when they are trying to sell something? Never could figure it out. It's about like up here, they don't put the price on something they're selling, like it's a secret or something.

No,...it's not as pretty as my 8N,...but an International 300 will drag an 8N anywhere it wants to. I would have liked to have had it. It ran very well. I was just afraid of what it might cost me down the road. It was going to need some work here and there.
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Had a nice 841 Ford with a one-armed bandit loader and over/under Sherman trans. In road gear it would scare the piss outta ya.... Mother Dearest got it in the dee-vorce....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Seems like a man's tractor oughtta be off the table when it comes to dividing things up during a divorce.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Tractor thread - 07/17/18
She got EVERYTHING. Except my clothes, guns and tools and 99 Ford truck in lieu of having to pay support. Way better to lose that stuff than have to pay the bish the resta my life...
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Tractor thread - 07/17/18
Originally Posted by huntsman22
She got EVERYTHING. Except my clothes, guns and tools and 99 Ford truck in lieu of having to pay support. Way better to lose that stuff than have to pay the bish the resta my life...

You probably made the best deal you coulda made. Maybe the tractor will throw a rod.

grin
We had one of those when I was a kid. What we didn't have was a tractor. So my dad would jack up the truck and put the belt around a rim and put the truck in drive. That was a little scary no guard on it like mine just a 3' spinning blade of death. Somehow we kept all of our limbs
Posted By: hanco Re: Tractor thread - 07/17/18
Cool old tractors!
Posted By: Redneck Re: Tractor thread - 07/17/18
I posted this a few weeks ago. My son restored his grandfather's 1947 Cub who had bought it new that year. Took a year to get done, but it's outstanding. :

[Linked Image]
Posted By: memtb Re: Tractor thread - 07/17/18
I’ve got a D-19 ( early 1960’s) Allis Chalmers Turbo Diesel (60 hp).....only about 3,000 produced! Has a Du Al loader/ bucket! Anyone interested....it can be bought! 🙂 memtb
That's a great looking Cub.
Decided to do what I intended to do with that old 8N.

Looped a thick nylon tow strap around a clump of honeysuckle bushes about 10" in diameter. Stuck the tractor in 1st gear and it just walked that bush out of the ground without even a grunt.

This lil' old tractor pulls harder than I thought it would.
The bad news is,..I gotta run all that crap through the chipper, now.
Too much fun.

I gotta go pull another one.
Posted By: Toddly Re: Tractor thread - 07/17/18
My 71 German made Deere 820.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: CCCC Re: Tractor thread - 07/17/18
Two here. The workhorse (of sorts) is an old Massey Ferguson 230 - it is tough and going strong, but have had almost every aspect of it apart (yes, even into three main pieces) to get it almost right. Rear implements only.

The other is a much more modern and smaller MF (four digit model number) diesel 4wd setup with front bucket and some other stuff that makes it feel like a little Cadillac of a tractor. My wife liked it and bought it - I appreciated the trailer it came on.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Tractor thread - 07/17/18
Love them old tractors. I spent many many hours on Ferguson TO-30 growing up, and various 8n, 9n, and others. Currently I've a Case 530, from early 60's I think. Was going to sell it when I get my skid steer, but after pulling some downed trees out of the woods I think I'll keep her around.
Posted By: kingston Re: Tractor thread - 07/17/18
Originally Posted by CCCC
Two here. The workhorse (of sorts) is an old Massey Ferguson 230 - it is tough and going strong, but have had almost every aspect of it apart (yes, even into three main pieces) to get it almost right. Rear implements only.

The other is a much more modern and smaller MF (four digit model number) diesel 4wd setup with front bucket and some other stuff that makes it feel like a little Cadillac of a tractor. My wife liked it and bought it - I appreciated the trailer it came on.

Pics!!!
Originally Posted by Toddly
My 71 German made Deere 820.

[Linked Image]

That's a slick John Deere.
I felt all protective of my 8N for about 24 hours. Now I've decided that I'm gonna work the piss out of it.
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: Tractor thread - 07/17/18
Originally Posted by Redneck
I posted this a few weeks ago. My son restored his grandfather's 1947 Cub who had bought it new that year. Took a year to get done, but it's outstanding. :

[Linked Image]

That's beautiful. It reminded me of this one. I'm not sure what year it was. This picture was taken around 1977 when I was 16. I'm the good lookin guy up top down on one knee. wink

I still hunt on this farm.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Tractor thread - 07/17/18
My granddad had a buzz similar to that one though it ran off a long belt on his Allis Chalmers. We would go over a few times a year to help him buck up firewood.

My Granddad had one of those as well so I hear anyway. It was gone by the time I came along but I hear the stories from my Dad's younger brothers (my uncles) about using it when they were just kids, unsupervised and of course no ear or eye protection. Things were different in the 50's and early 60's out in the country. Kids were given significant responsibilities with dangerous tools. I joke with my Uncles that Granddad would probably be locked up by child protective services these days and they agree! laugh

However, my late father and all his brothers not only managed to keep all their limbs and digits, they also grew into fine men.
I've towed maple trees and cherry trees two foot in diameter with the 8n. I leave the back blade on to act as a type of wheelie bar. I've pulled the trees with both wheels in the air using the left and right brake to steer with. Do not take off fast when pulling you can end up with the tractor on top of you
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: Tractor thread - 07/17/18
That's a great pic. Great snapshot in time from 40 years ago.
Posted By: kenster99 Re: Tractor thread - 07/17/18
[Linked Image]
just a good running Ford 1700 diesel 4wd, with rifle scabbard.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Tractor thread - 07/17/18
I can't even join in in this tractor thread... frown

I don't have one remotely like those...
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Tractor thread - 07/17/18
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I can't even join in in this tractor thread... frown

I don't have one remotely like those...

That's what you get for being successful and rich! grin

Us po folks has to make do with the old stuff!
Don't tell my wife I'm rich... She might marry me for my money.. smile
Originally Posted by kenster99
[Linked Image]
just a good running Ford 1700 diesel 4wd, with rifle scabbard.

Now that's my kind of tractor accessory.

Now that's my kind of tractor accessory.

Mine too! laugh

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire