Home
Posted By: jaguartx Big rattler - 07/17/18
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Big rattler - 07/17/18
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Big rattler - 07/17/18
Originally Posted by jaguartx

You sure that’s a rattler?
Posted By: rost495 Re: Big rattler - 07/17/18
Both look big. Neither looked amazingly huge to me.

Amazing that the first one didn't follow the snake in that open for more pictures.

Amazing that someone that "birds" didn't take a load of pictures of what was not 9 feet or wide as she made out....

But that doesn't amaze me. I respect snakes, kill snakes, but would have taken a lot more pictures if I had not shot both of those.
Originally Posted by SandBilly

I dont know for sure Jesse. It wasnt holding the rattlers up, was it.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Big rattler - 07/17/18
The FL snake was no big deal.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Big rattler - 07/17/18

Didn’t seem to be. I’d be shooting with something more powerful than a camera!
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Big rattler - 07/17/18
I don't think the snake in the first video is a rattle moccasin......he is not holding the rattles on his tail up like the others, likely because there are not any.

How much do you guys think the one in the second video would weigh?
Posted By: slumlord Re: Big rattler - 07/17/18
Jag if you are skeerd of snakes, you probably need to check for fambly tree for a 'Nate' or three

hahaha
Posted By: hanco Re: Big rattler - 07/17/18
Five footer??
Posted By: 6mm250 Re: Big rattler - 07/17/18

Looks like a bullsnake

Mike
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Big rattler - 07/17/18
We grow em big down here in SWGA. Texas has em too. The one in my avatar is 7’2”, unstretched. It had disappeared from my avatar, but was reinstated at the request of the OP. It’s one of the biggest ratlers I’ve ever seen personally. Did see a coachwhip that was bit longer, and twice as mean, awhile back.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Big rattler - 07/17/18
I see rattlers fairly regularly, always been out away from livestock or human habitation, I left them be, but I’d kill ‘em in a heartbeat if they were around where people go. Near as I can tell my dogs had the sense to leave em alone without being taught.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Big rattler - 07/17/18
Originally Posted by 6mm250

Looks like a bullsnake

Mike

This- about a 6 - 7 footer! But a bullsnake. GOOD snake!
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Big rattler - 07/17/18
my pecker might be bigger,.... lol
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Big rattler - 07/17/18
I'd shoot it in a heartbeat. Hate those bastards
Posted By: 673 Re: Big rattler - 07/17/18
I fuggin hate snakes.
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Naw. Youd have to be all dick.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Big rattler - 07/17/18
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Naw. Youd have to be all dick.

could be, sometimes lol. by the way the fishing is on fire down here.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Big rattler - 07/18/18
Dayom, Roger. I havent been fishing since last summer. Illness in family. Im hurting to go. Heres one even you might call big.

Posted By: Judman Re: Big rattler - 07/18/18
Damn I’m glad we don’t have em up here!!
Posted By: djs Re: Big rattler - 07/18/18
Regardless of how big these snakes actually are;, they are big enough for me.
Posted By: shortleade Re: Big rattler - 07/18/18
Biggest one I've seen was down your way. It was in the road not far from Lake Seminole. Saw a couple 5-6 footers before and this one was bigger than that. They don't have to be big to get my attention though.
Originally Posted by djs
Regardless of how big these snakes actually are;, they are big enough for me.

They arent nearly as dangerous as were Zero and Hillary.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Big rattler - 07/18/18
We caught about an 8 foot blue indigo and messed with it many years ago. But rattlers, I've seen one that would have been right at 7 foot, biggest I ever saw... he got away from me. Have killed a fair number at 6 foot give or take.
Where was that big one that got away, Jeff.
Posted By: 65BR Re: Big rattler - 07/18/18
Years ago as a kid Sports Afield had a section in the middle of the magazine with little mini-news stories. In one edition was a very old photo of a Diamondback being held by many men was reportedly found in a cabin, I believe in Florida. . A sign was held next to the snake - 11 ft 4” IIRC. Not heard anything on it since.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Big rattler - 07/18/18
Originally Posted by 65BR
Years ago as a kid Sports Afield had a section in the middle of the magazine with little mini-news stories. In one edition was a very old photo of a Diamondback being held by many men was reportedly found in a cabin, I believe in Florida. . A sign was held next to the snake - 11 ft 4” IIRC. Not heard anything on it since.

I remember the photo from back when I was a kid. I remembered the 11' but forgot the 4". That was long before "photo-shop".
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by 65BR

I remember the photo from back when I was a kid. I remembered the 11' but forgot the 4". That was long before "photo-shop".

It would be nice to see that pic.
Posted By: DW7 Re: Big rattler - 07/18/18
I tend to agree with this story.

http://www.livingalongsidewildlife.com/2009/07/return-of-giant-killed-rattlesnake.html?m=1
Posted By: sharpsguy Re: Big rattler - 07/18/18
I saw that picture years ago. The snake was far and away the biggest rattler I have ever seen a picture of. It was being held by seven or eight men standing shoulder to shoulder. The picture was taken in the 1920s or 1930s, long before photoshop. I don't recall the length of the snake being mentioned, but the caption said the snake had been killed by an elderly man with a hoe. It was in his garden. I saw the picture two or three times, as a matter of fact. If the photo can be found, my guess is that the snake will exceed 15 feet and be over 8 or 9 inches in diameter. It was as long as the pythons you see pictures of today, and about twice as thick.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Big rattler - 07/18/18
Originally Posted by rost495
The FL snake was no big deal.

If it was in my backyard it'd been a big deal.
Posted By: skeen Re: Big rattler - 07/18/18
When hunting in SW Oklahoma I saw one dead, every bit of 6,' stretched out in the bed of a pick-up. It was huuuuuge.

No matter to me, whether 6" or 6' they all get a .22 round from the Ruger Mark IV.

The only good rattler, is a dead rattler.
None of those photos are the one described by sharpsguy. That is the photo I remember. A bunch of guys standing shoulder to shoulder holding up the snake. Their elbows were bent; not holding the snake out to make it look bigger than life the way the photos in the above post.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Big rattler - 07/18/18

No....

If that one is 9 feet, spread your cheeks, I'll french kiss your ass....
None of those photos are the one described by sharpsguy. That is the photo I remember. A bunch of guys standing shoulder to shoulder holding up the snake. Their elbows were bent; not holding the snake out to make it look bigger than life the way the photos in the above post.

Its imbedded in this link ringman, sharpsguy, 65Br, jaguartx. Scroll down a ways.

http://www.livingalongsidewildlife.com/2009/07/return-of-giant-killed-rattlesnake.html?m=1
DW7,

Thanks. That might be it. The snake in the photo looks to be maybe 10' long to me, based on the shoulder sizes of folks I have measured. Since I was 18 I carried a 1/4" steel tape measure in my pocket for measuring anything I'm allowed.
Ringman that links a long read but a good one if you're inclined.
Posted By: passport Re: Big rattler - 07/18/18
I guess they edited out the gun shots, right? I would have shot every one of those bastards!
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Big rattler - 07/18/18
The "Big rattler at the end of the hoe handle" pics are nothing but "forced perspective" camera shots...making a 4'-5' rattler look like he's 11 feet long. Same as when we hold the 120 class buck with outstretched hands to make him look 140, or that 5# bass look 7#.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Big rattler - 07/18/18
Gents, I give you a large diamondback from down here in the swamps.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

[Linked Image]

How long was the stick he was holdin it up with?
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Big rattler - 07/18/18
Not long enough!
Originally Posted by DW7

Its imbedded in this link ringman, sharpsguy, 65Br, jaguartx. Scroll down a ways.

Dat snake is no closer to 11 feet long than I am 11 feet tall....
I'll run this one past you gents again, everybody has stories, I got pics. We got this one shortly after high school graduation. Eastern Diamondback, 7'3" and 19 inch girth...my pard here is six feet tall....

[Linked Image]

This snake had been eating rabbits...had three in him and you couldn't tell till you( in this case me...) skinned him...

In that same period we got a 6' 5" Canebrake and a 6' 8" Canebrake
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Big rattler - 07/18/18

[Linked Image]

I believe that is a Silverback...w/ a large snake.

mike r
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by DW7

Agree, why I like the link, it's full of facts.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Big rattler - 07/18/18
I'll run this one past you gents again, everybody has stories, I got pics. We got this one shortly after high school graduation. Eastern Diamondback, 7'3" and 19 inch girth...my pard here is six feet tall....

[Linked Image]

This snake had been eating rabbits...had three in him and you couldn't tell till you( in this case me...) skinned him...

That's a scary big rattler!

There used to be a faded canebrake/velvet tail rattler hide in a Pawnshop gun store in Mt. Pleasant Texas that was well over 6' and may have been thicker than that Diamond back.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Big rattler - 07/19/18

[Linked Image]

Nothing but forced perspective by the cameraman. Five footer at best. Old camera trick strikes again.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Big rattler - 07/19/18
Originally Posted by 1911a1

[Linked Image]

That's a scary big rattler!

There used to be a faded canebrake/velvet tail rattler hide in a Pawnshop gun store in Mt. Pleasant Texas that was well over 6' and may have been thicker than that Diamond back.

Thats a cool pic.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Big rattler - 07/19/18
Originally Posted by DW7
Originally Posted by DW7

Agree, why I like the link, it's full of facts.

Its full of facts except for two. Re the big snake held by the man in the truck: why does the author say the guy has it out on a pole. I dont see a pole. Why does he say the guy is holding it up in the air and the tail isnt touching the ground?
Looks to me like the tail is laying on the ground.
Thanks for that link as i had seen that pic much bigger years ago and lost the pic. In the much expanded version it was easy to see the tail was on the ground. Im glad to have that pic again.

PS. I figure the guy is about 5' 8". His upper hand is holding the neck and the head is hanging down in front of the man. That head is about 4 in long and its covered neck is about 5 in. That would put the nose of the snake at least at the top of the mans head.

His lower arm is pushing the bodyslightly toward us but the snake is hanging down pretty close to the truck bumper. Those tow buckles are about 3/4 inch thick. Its coon tail is at least twice that thick. I figure 4 ft of snake below the truck bed and at least 5.5 if not more above which would make it at least 9 ft.
© 24hourcampfire