Home
Posted By: wabigoon The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
Paved, gravel, city street, busy, one lane, two lane, four lane, or just ruts in the grass?

I'm on a gravel road, and wish there was even less traffic.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
Looks like this

[Linked Image]
Posted By: memtb Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
Gravel! Sadly, when the wind is from the north.....you can hear semi’s on the paved road. A plus....90+ miles to the nearest interstate and a Wal-Mart, over 150 miles to a large (60 K people) City. It ain’t perfect.....but, “beats the hell” out of living in/ near a large city! memtb
Posted By: hanco Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
Paved, dead end street, not much traffic.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
I'm 1/2 mile from a paved road. Gravel driveway leading to my house......mine, and it's up to me to maintain it. That's okay, gives me privacy. Nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile as well.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
Grew up on a dirt lane in P.G. County, MD within hearing distance of Byrd Stadium (U of MD). Adelphi Road, the intersecting county road was gravel. Last time I was in the are, about 2000, it was four lanes, at least.

My first house backed up to a two-lane state highway, but they widened it within a year, taking a chunk off the back of my lot in the process. Traffic will fill a void, and it did. Learned my lesson there.

This place is in a development, but in the interior section buffered by a row of acre+ lots in the front, and two in the rear. The intersecting county roads adjoining are crowned wagon roads that only get limited local traffic. I can hear traveling cars on the one, but usually not the other. I think I'm good here for the (my) duration. Impact fees and distance from the city have slowed development down. Not much work in this area that will support single-family housing; nearly everyone here commutes like I did. A pretty fair percentage are retired or almost there.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
Paved now, used to be just walrus jacketed. Carries a fair amount of traffic, much of it because it leads to the road that goes through the underpass, which allows folks to avoid sitting and watching the UP crawl by.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
This pic is standing in the county road that dead end's at the ranch, looking up the driveway.

Driveway is pretty long too. I don't get many "accidental" traffic. smile

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
Gravel.
Posted By: J23 Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
A "township maintained" rutted out gravel goat path. It's hard on my vehicle, but then again, it discourages use by outsiders.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18

Paved, rougher than a night in jail, no lines, people drive about 75mph on it.
Posted By: edk Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
Gravel and 2 miles long which dead end. Some days no cars and some days a couple. Love it. Ed k
Posted By: Raeford Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
3/8 mile gravel drive which connects to a 1/2 mile gravel private dead end road with 5 other residents along the way

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
Quarter mile + of private gravel dead ends at my place. The gravel county road it branches off of is half mile long and dead ends at my brothers place. 4 miles into a town of 3k+/-, 10 miles to the next town of about the same size. 14 miles the other way is the big city, 10k pop.
Posted By: ykrvak Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
About 1895 miles long and a mile wide in front of the lodge. Wet in the summer and slippery in the winter.
Posted By: Windfall Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
Paved cul-de-sac 50 yards from a mile of "my" city owned hunting woods and a quarter mile from where I wouldn't have city sewer, water and services.
Posted By: bobg Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
Major highway Lots of traffic. Think i could throw a stone and hit the local high school.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
Dirt road that ends in my garage.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My deck looks over Hwy 12 which parallels the river. It has some traffic (mostly log trucks} at certain times of the day but I tolerate it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bobg Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
Major highway Lots of traffic. Think i could throw a stone and hit the local high school.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
Paved one lane loop off the two lane county road.
Posted By: arky65 Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
Damn, Steel I did not know we're neighbors. That pic looks like the county road to our place. Barely two lanes and very little traffic. Our drive is 1/4 miles of ruts, wash outs and oil pan punchers. I keep maintained to the minimum to keep out the riff-raff.
Posted By: Wylietx107 Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
Gravel county road. 2 miles off highway. Usual farmers and rancher traffic till deer season then looks like and interstate the first weekend.
Posted By: blanket Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
dead end gravel, my house is at the dead end and have a long lane to there
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
Wabigoon: When the VarmintWife and I bought our home the private road from our house to the gravel country road was dirt - its .7 miles long and just two other families lived on it. Several years ago we had the .7 mile long drive to our home paved (cuts down on dust/mud at certain times of the year).
The Mule Deer, Whitetailed Deer and Antelope (along with Foxes, Badgers and the rare Coyote) don't seem to mind the drive being paved - as they traverse along and across it the same as before we paved it.
Still have a half mile of the county road (graveled) to travel til I hit public pavement.

Memtb: Its 105 miles for us to drive to the nearest Cost-Co! Nearest Wal-Mart is a mere 66 miles!
I've gotten used to that.

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
[Linked Image]Hardwood drive near our homesite by Sharps Man, on Flickr
Originally Posted by ykrvak
About 1895 miles long and a mile wide in front of the lodge. Wet in the summer and slippery in the winter.

I am truly envious! memtb

Do they have any plans for a mall, subdivisions and a golf course? 🤨

Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Wabigoon: When the VarmintWife and I bought our home the private road from our house to the gravel country road was dirt - its .7 miles long and just two other families lived on it. Several years ago we had the .7 mile long drive to our home paved (cuts down on dust/mud at certain times of the year).
The Mule Deer, Whitetailed Deer and Antelope (along with Foxes, Badgers and the rare Coyote) don't seem to mind the drive being paved - as they traverse along and across it the same as before we paved it.
Still have a half mile of the county road (graveled) to travel til I hit public pavement.

Memtb: Its 105 miles for us to drive to the nearest Cost-Co! Nearest Wal-Mart is a mere 66 miles!
I've gotten used to that.

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Also, got you beat ( a little ) on the Costco....about 165 (Billings)! 🙂 memtb
Posted By: shaman Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
The county road ends right at my front door. If you keep going, you run the risk of hitting my tobacco barn. A few drunks a year get lost and come close to doing just that. You either have to be lost or coming to see me to make it the last 3/4 of a mile.

80 years ago, the road extended through my property, joining the towns of Browningsville and Powersville. Powersville is now reduced to a few houses and a convenience store. Browningsville ceased to exist before 1900. It 1870 it had a school, a church, a post office and 2 doctors. However, the 2 doctors got to fighting and shot each other. For some reason, this marked the town's downfall. Browningsville fell off the map by 1910, and there is not much left. A black bear was denning in the basement of the old mill a few years ago, but even he's moved on.

The great-grandparents of the previous owners kept the road open so they could all go in one wagon to church on Sunday, but after the neighbor to the south stopped maintaining the ford over the creek, they started going the long way around. The foundation of their house and barn are barely recognizable now. The next generation built the house I'm in about 1902 using lumber scavenged the older homestead.
Posted By: philgood80 Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
Paved 2-lane state highway. Runs between our pastures and the farm across the street. Typically very little traffic except for early morning and late afternoon when boats are headed to and from the confluence of the Buffalo and White rivers. Other than that it is only the locals during the day. Thankfully we are well off the highway on a gravel drive.
Posted By: philgood80 Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
Originally Posted by shaman
The county road ends right at my front door. If you keep going, you run the risk of hitting my tobacco barn. A few drunks a year get lost and come close to doing just that. You either have to be lost or coming to see me to make it the last 3/4 of a mile.

80 years ago, the road extended through my property, joining the towns of Browningsville and Powersville. Powersville is now reduced to a few houses and a convenience store. Browningsville ceased to exist before 1900. It 1870 it had a school, a church, a post office and 2 doctors. However, the 2 doctors got to fighting and shot each other. For some reason, this marked the town's downfall. Browningsville fell off the map by 1910, and there is not much left. A black bear was denning in the basement of the old mill a few years ago, but even he's moved on.

The great-grandparents of the previous owners kept the road open so they could all go in one wagon to church on Sunday, but after the neighbor to the south stopped maintaining the ford over the creek, they started going the long way around. The foundation of their house and barn are barely recognizable now. The next generation built the house I'm in about 1902 using lumber scavenged the older homestead.

Abandoned towns and locations like that fascinate me. Cool post!
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
Asphalt, one way in, one way out. Love it.
Posted By: EdM Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
A bit over a mile of private gravel road to this.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: CCCC Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
We have a road??
Posted By: Hugh Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
gravel.
Paved city street, but a dead end road and very out of the way so it's really quiet.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18

paved road.....my place is the end of city limits......

speeders ? you bet.....get tag number & call dispatch.......

although usually more ATV speeders than cars/trucks

need a sign that says........

'drive like your kids live here'

not much going on out back......

baling hay soon........my hay guys......

[Linked Image]
Paved. We live in a neighborhood. Hoping to change that one of these days. I want to be able to hunt my own land, and see the truck with a regular layer of dust and mud on it.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
Paved country road.
Posted By: Toddly Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
We just paved our gravel driveway last week.

[Linked Image]
Paved Thank God.

It was just rock road till about 41 years ago.
before that it was dirt.
If it rained you did not go anywhere.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
I'm on a country road,...no line down the middle,...enough room for 2 vehicles to go past each other but not a lot to spare. It was getting a bit rough so they came out a resurfaced a long stretch of it back in the spring.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
It's my own dirt (sand) road in from a 2-lane paved county road.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
I live in Oklahoma City. Here is a photo of the street in front of my house.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
What is that falling out of the clouds?

Telephone pole picked up in tornado alley? wink
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
Yes a telephone pole. This was the 2013 Moore OK F5 that killed 24 and injured 212. Destroyed several school houses.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SurlyBob Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
Single lane paved county road here. Three houses on the road. Lately we have been getting more tractor/implement traffic than anything else, everybody around here just cut hay.
Posted By: Alamosa Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Yes a telephone pole. This was the 2013 Moore OK F5 that killed 24 and injured 212. Destroyed several school houses.

[Linked Image]

My first thought, before I saw the location, was 'that sure looks like Oklahoma'.
Posted By: ironbender Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18

Paved, but we got moose, black and brown bears, and caribou.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
Country 2 lane about 3/4 mile up my dirt drive. I do have a neighbor about 250 yards away though through the woods. I'm 7 miles from a small town with over 80% white population.
Posted By: BIGR Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
Paved (tar and pea gravel) country road, no centerline, but two cars can pass if they mind their manners, single lane bridge over the creek though . My driveway is single lane dirt and gravel, pretty good grade.
Paved secondary county sectionline, 400 feet away. Busiest when the spud trucks show up in the spring.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
Ours is paved with rough asphalt and dead ends just up the street from our place, just how we like it. Driveway is covered with RAP to keep the dust down.
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Ours is paved with rough asphalt and dead ends just up the street from our place, just how we like it. Driveway is covered with RAP to keep the dust down.

dust in Alaska ?
Originally Posted by tikkanut

dust in Alaska ?
Lol........yeah, it tends to get pretty dry here at times.

dust in Alaska ?

dry ???????

our whole fuggin' State has been on fire !!!!!

Finally getting some rain to keep down wildfires.........

and dust !
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
County road in front of the "Canta Forda" ranch!

[Linked Image]

dust in Alaska ?

dry ???????

our whole fuggin' State has been on fire !!!!!

Finally getting some rain to keep down wildfires.........

and dust !
Yes, dry, we have something like 85 wildfires burning throughout the state right now.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/17/18
Posted By: EdM Re: The Road By Your Place? - 07/18/18
Or this come winter.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire