Home
Posted By: SandBilly S.S. statements? - 08/06/18
I use to receive a statement every year with a yearly breakdown of money paid in. Haven’t received one in several years.
Posted By: rem141r Re: S.S. statements? - 08/06/18
go to ssa.gov and sign up. i think they quit that a few years ago.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: S.S. statements? - 08/06/18
Yeah, I think you have to request one now.

Better hurry before the liberals spend it all. wink
Posted By: SandBilly Re: S.S. statements? - 08/06/18
Originally Posted by rem141r
go to ssa.gov and sign up. i think they quit that a few years ago.

Thanks
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

That’s what got me to thinking, wondering how much I’ll get fugged out of..😁
Posted By: akpls Re: S.S. statements? - 08/06/18
It's all online. You have to go and print out your own now.
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: S.S. statements? - 08/06/18
When to claim Social Security

http://danielamerman.com/va/BenefitAge.html
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: S.S. statements? - 08/06/18
Get an online SS account here

https://secure.ssa.gov/RIL/SiView.do
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Get an online SS account here

https://secure.ssa.gov/RIL/SiView.do

I have a ways to go, right now it’s about 900 a month difference between drawing at 62 and 67.
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: S.S. statements? - 08/06/18
All online now.
Posted By: immature Re: S.S. statements? - 08/06/18
I've been retired for several years, but it might be worth getting one to see if someone else is working and using your SSAN, which would cause problems with income taxes and all the other .gov things that are income related.
Posted By: Crazydog Re: S.S. statements? - 08/06/18

Actually you better hurry before trump uses it all to pay for the tax cut for the rich or for the $12 billion he's gonna use as a band-aid for farmers because of the problem HE created.
Originally Posted by Crazydog

Actually you better hurry before trump uses it all to pay for the tax cut for the rich or for the $12 billion he's gonna use as a band-aid for farmers because of the problem HE created.

12 billion to help Americans, for a short period of time, who will be better off In the long run. They know it and support him. Your leader would rather give Iran 150 billion for what? Supporting terrorists? Commie POS,,

Who added 11 Trillion to the national debt, commie?
Posted By: Borchardt Re: S.S. statements? - 08/07/18
Ignore his ignorant ash. Someone is paying him to be a troll, if he is ignored, he gets less for his "work".
Posted By: UPhiker Re: S.S. statements? - 08/07/18
I'm 59 and planning on collecting when I'm 62. I won't really need it then, but I'd rather have it in my pocket than the government's. They keep bringing forward the year when it's going to go insolvent, so I'd rather collect now and invest it on my own instead of waiting until my full age and them either saying nothing is left or decreasing the benefit.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: S.S. statements? - 08/07/18
Originally Posted by UPhiker
I'm 59 and planning on collecting when I'm 62. I won't really need it then, but I'd rather have it in my pocket than the government's. They keep bringing forward the year when it's going to go insolvent, so I'd rather collect now and invest it on my own instead of waiting until my full age and them either saying nothing is left or decreasing the benefit.

That’s my plan, too.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: S.S. statements? - 08/07/18
Originally Posted by SandBilly

That’s my plan, too.

Yep. Me too. I’m 58 now. Doubt seriously I’ll live to be 72. Most of the men in my family don’t make it to 72.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: S.S. statements? - 08/07/18
Nah, you’ll make it. You’ll be a grouchy old fart.. grin
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: S.S. statements? - 08/07/18

shocked laugh grin
Posted By: UPhiker Re: S.S. statements? - 08/07/18

I'm already there. smile chlinstructor--don't make that a self-fulfilling prophecy. I know too many people who thought that they wouldn't live long so they lived life too fully and met an early end or just ruined their health but lingered around for quite a few years.
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: S.S. statements? - 08/07/18
As long as SS and both my Union pensions stay solvent, I should be able to retire pretty well from construction at 60 and work part time till 67.
Posted By: Crazydog Re: S.S. statements? - 08/07/18
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Ignore his ignorant ash. Someone is paying him to be a troll, if he is ignored, he gets less for his "work".

Nobody is paying me. I'm a red blooded American who knows when someone is doing all they can to ruin our country and hand it over to putin.
I'll keep doing everything possible to get the you joke of a president out. I'll also keep pointing out all of you trump supporters who keep repeating the same trump lies over and over. You people think if you tell the lie enough times it will become true. Well they won't.
Posted By: Raeford Re: S.S. statements? - 08/07/18
4.1 GDP, a lie?
There was no collusion.
There was no meeting at trump tower.
I didn't dictate don jr's statement.
There was a meeting but I didn't know about it.
The meeting was about adoptions.
Ok the meeting wasn't about adoptions.
There was no russian agent there.
Ok there was a russian agent there but she didn't have any dirt on Hillary.
Ok the russian agent was Manafort.
Ok there was collusion but collusion is not a crime.
Lie after lie after lie. There are so many co-conspirators they can't even tell the same lie.

The list could go on and on.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: S.S. statements? - 08/07/18
Rick why do we have to suffer these people on a mostly conservative website? If the masters of the universe can ban Infowars, lets ban these liberal idiots.
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Rick why do we have to suffer these people on a mostly conservative website? If the masters of the universe can ban Infowars, lets ban these liberal idiots.

What's the matter? Can't handle it when you have to face the truth? That your leader is a liar, a sexual predator, a racist, treasonous monster intent on ruining our country for his own gain. Putin will dispose of him as soon as trump finishes destroying or democracy.

Smart person. Been doing that for 8 years and money in my pocket rather than the government. My investments will certainly offset and outperform the full SS retirement.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: S.S. statements? - 08/07/18

What's the matter? Can't handle it when you have to face the truth? That your leader is a liar, a sexual predator, a racist, treasonous monster intent on ruining our country for his own gain. Putin will dispose of him as soon as trump finishes destroying or democracy.

You wouldn't know what "truth" is.

Another liberal fugktard.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: S.S. statements? - 08/07/18

And what was Hillary you stupid son of a b*itch ? Or Obama ? Fuggin liars, thieves, sexual deviants and worst of all COMMUNISTS. You damn sure aught to be thanking your lucky stars every day that Trump is in the whitehouse instead of that criminal, b*itch COMMUNIST !!
Posted By: wildbill59 Re: S.S. statements? - 08/07/18
Originally Posted by Raeford
4.1 GDP, a lie?

Just like the unemployment and inflation rate, it's all made up lies. 95 million Americans aren't working out of 325. who's gonna be paying into SS pretty soon?
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: S.S. statements? - 08/07/18
Hey libtards, Hillary lost. Tough shidt. Our turn now.
GFY.
Posted By: BobMt Re: S.S. statements? - 08/07/18

don't ban them.....if someone doesn't like what they have to say......don't read it....or put them on ignore...some of the tin foil stuff on here makes these guys look sane

a least that's what q told me to say......bob
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: S.S. statements? - 08/07/18
How do you fugktards explain the stock market?

Is that a Trump lie too?

Damn idiots.

These threads are very good at pulling the real enemy out of the woodworks...
Posted By: wildbill59 Re: S.S. statements? - 08/07/18
How do you fugktards explain the stock market?

Is that a Trump lie too?

Damn idiots.

These threads are very good at pulling the real enemy out of the woodworks...

My mutual funds went up over 400% in the last 10 years. I pulled out in January and cashed out. Except for a blip in July it's been flat. When corporations run out of QE borrowed money to buy back their inflated stock the bottom will drop. 1.4 trillion student loan debt. 1.2 sub prime auto loans and 1.3 in CC debt. All unsecured. Someone is going to be holding a big bag with a big hole in it. It's a charade now. It was a charade under Osama. We'll see when they introduce new bread and circuses when the old ones lose their appeal. I loved all the phony financial advisors back in February when they barked "keep buying and buy big".
Posted By: Crazydog Re: S.S. statements? - 08/10/18
You guys sure get angry when someone calls trump out on all his lies. You guys are so stupid you keep repeating his lies to each other. You can't see what he's doing to our country because you keep looking at the latest shiny object trump dangles in front of you.
Like the big show he put on when signing his executive order supposedly helping our veterans and then quietly cutting the funding for the program.
He says "only I can fix healthcare, it's really easy". Then he says "who knew it is so complicated"? Everybody knew.All he's done is make things worse.
He's making the debt skyrocket with his tax cuts for the wealthy, another $12 billion to put a band aid on the farmer problem which HE created. Now he says he want to give the wealthy another $100 billion tax cut. Really?
Hundreds of billions of $$$ on a wall that is "symbolic" because it will not solve any perceived problem.
Now he's gonna waste more of our tax dollars on a "space force". What a friggin joke. It will not be a joke when our country is bankrupt and china wants to collect on all the debt it holds.
You guys just keep repeating the trump lies and hiding your heads in the sand if you want.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Raeford Re: S.S. statements? - 08/10/18
"He says "only I can fix healthcare, it's really easy". Then he says "who knew it is so complicated"?"
Not what he said, so a lie from Crazy

"He's making the debt skyrocket with his tax cuts for the wealthy, "
You left out my tax cut[P.S. I'm not whats termed 'wealthy by todays standards], nonetheless another lie by, you guessed it Crazy

"It will not be a joke when our country is bankrupt "
Jokes on you, we've been bankrupt for 30 years.
Keep lying for trump and to yourself.

Print
By Stephen Dinan - The Washington Times - Thursday, March 15, 2018
President Trump has now amassed his first $1 trillion in debt, crossing that ignominious mark late last week — and analysts said it’s just a taste of what’s to come after the tax-cuts and spending spree of recent months.

Indeed, his next $1 trillion could come within a year, and one analyst said he could soon be staring at $3 trillion annual deficits if things go particularly badly in interest rates.

It’s a major reversal for a president who during the campaign had said given eight years he could eliminate the debt entirely, but is instead looking at setting records for red ink.

“We are in for a rude awakening,” said Maya MacGuineas, president of the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget.

Her organization calculated that with December’s tax cuts and January’s budget-busting spending deal, Mr. Trump has already signed legislation that will add at least $2.4 trillion to the debt in the next decade and, should Congress make those policies permanent, could add as much as $6 trillion.

At that rate, the government will be paying $1 trillion a year in interest payments alone.
Posted By: rinkydink Re: S.S. statements? - 08/10/18
The SS fund does not have one thin dime invested. The "so-called "lock box" only has an I. O.U. From the us covt. Lyndon Johnson merged the funds to mask the true monetary cost of the Vietnam war.

Get what you can as fast as you can.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Blackheart Re: S.S. statements? - 08/10/18
I'd like to make a list of Hillary's lies but I have other things I need to do for the next month. Idiot.
Posted By: 3584ELK Re: S.S. statements? - 08/11/18

[Linked Image]

Cute meme, Marxist- from where did you steal it, The Huffington Pist?

We all know Trump promised things he has not/ cannot deliver. Have you ever known a politician to whom this did not apply? How many lies did your messiah, Barack Insane Obama tell over the course of just one year? 8 years? How many lies has that evil k u n t Hillary muttered? What about all the sideline players like Wasserman- Schultz, Louis Farrakan, Rachel Maddow, or Joe Scaraborough? Are you keeping tabs on their dishonesty? Were you ever keeping tab? NO. Because their lies don't count, or if so- they are innocent little lambs in your world. Simply put, if it doesn't fit your communist agenda, ignore. If it does mesh with the agenda, SHOUT IT FROM THE ROOF TOPS!
Posted By: Sharecropper Re: S.S. statements? - 08/11/18
Islander,
I may begin pulling at 62, hope I can avoid that scenario. But I cannot connect the dots using your reasoning.
A) one gets double the dollars at 70 vs. 62 yr. old...So that's a double right.
B) you get your monthly check, the next year that total s/s received was prior to 2018 was added to your reportable annual federal taxable income to determine your personal tax rate. So let's use a 10% clip because of taxes. Average inflation for past 8 yrs. has been 2.2%.
C) so you had to more than double your money after taxes, if any were due.
D) show me a moderate investment, moderate because of your age. If you have wealth, you certainly would not have pulled s/s early, because of taxes, and you were guaranteed a 10% annual rate of return while waiting for age 70 with 0 tax liability, and if married your wife would have received most of your benefit if you died.
E) show me

.[/quote]
Smart person. Been doing that for 8 years and money in my pocket rather than the government. My investments will certainly offset and outperform the full SS retirement. [/quote]

Not being ugly, wanting to learn. I'm 57.
Posted By: Sharecropper Re: S.S. statements? - 08/11/18
Islander,
I may begin pulling at 62, hope I can avoid that scenario. But I cannot connect the dots using your reasoning.
B) you get your monthly check, the next year that total s/s received was prior to 2018 was added to your reportable annual federal taxable income to determine your personal tax rate. So let's use a 10% clip because of taxes. Average inflation for past 8 yrs. has been 2.2%.
C) so you had to more than double your money after taxes, if any were due.
D) show me a moderate investment, moderate because of your age. If you have wealth, you certainly would not have pulled s/s early, because of taxes, and you were guaranteed a 10% annual rate of return while waiting for age 70 with 0 tax liability, and if married your wife would have received most of your benefit if you died.
E) show me

.[/quote]
Smart person. Been doing that for 8 years and money in my pocket rather than the government. My investments will certainly offset and outperform the full SS retirement. [/quote]

Posted By: drover Re: S.S. statements? - 08/11/18
I began withdrawing my SS at 62 simply because I knew I was still alive then, I did not know if I would still be alive at 70. In my case it was not a matter of needing the money at age 62 or even 70, it was because the money was there and I would rather have it in my bank account than the governments.

drover
Posted By: renegade50 Re: S.S. statements? - 08/11/18
I can see a LSDP video clip in the future possibly for this thread.
Bill is getting ready to dance.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: S.S. statements? - 08/11/18
Originally Posted by Sharecropper
Islander,

Have you actually checked your figures? I just checked mine and at 62 I'll get $1383 a month and at 70 it's $2433. That's nowhere near double. Also, you'll also be paying into SS for those extra years. Look up the Rule of 72. Also, how long will it take to make up for all the money that you're collecting between 62 and 70.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: S.S. statements? - 08/11/18

That’s my plan, too.

If you intend to keep on working after age 62 you’d be well advised to run it past your CPA to estimate your possible tax load. Jus sayin. Also be damned sure to check out the many options for taking it. There’s a few here at The Campfire who were pissin iand moaning about surprises they hadn’t considered. Now it’s too late for them.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: S.S. statements? - 08/11/18
https://money.usnews.com/money/blog...hats-your-social-security-break-even-age

Check this out.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: S.S. statements? - 08/12/18
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

That’s my plan, too.

If you intend to keep on working after age 62 you’d be well advised to run it past your CPA to estimate your possible tax load. Jus sayin. Also be damned sure to check out the many options for taking it. There’s a few here at The Campfire who were pissin iand moaning about surprises they hadn’t considered. Now it’s too late for them.

I don’t recall the exact details but when the old man retired a couple years ago, I remember dad mentioning his CPA said a lot of what you get is determined on your last 5 years of income? Not sure...
Posted By: dale06 Re: S.S. statements? - 08/12/18
Retired at 61, started SS at 66.
Figured I’d get it while the getting is good.
I expect it to eventually become means tested, so those that worked hard for many years and managed their finances will be told, “ you don’t need it, or you don’t need that much” and theirs will get reduced and those that didn’t work hard and for a long period will get theirs increased. It’s called redistribution of wealth.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: S.S. statements? - 08/12/18
Originally Posted by dale06
Retired at 61, started SS at 66.
Figured I’d get it while the getting is good.
I expect it to eventually become means tested, so those that worked hard for many years and managed their finances will be told, “ you don’t need it, or you don’t need that much” and theirs will get reduced and those that didn’t work hard and for a long period will get theirs increased. It’s called redistribution of wealth.

Dale, if and when the Democrats regain control you can book means testing AND windfall profits tax on retirement accounts will happen. Two CPAs told me this and Pelosi has called for it in Congress.
Posted By: ro1459 Re: S.S. statements? - 08/12/18
I started taking SS at 65.5. My accountant did an analysis for me and said that my break even would be 81 years old. I decided to enjoy the extra money now while I have some mobility. There's another thread out there talking about aging, but for here I can tell all you 40 and 50 somethings that you will be shocked by how fast you change from 60 to 65 and then from 65 to 70 is just mean. So why wait until 70 when it will take you another 11 years to start losing money. I may not even be alive at that time. So my suggestion would be to do you own break even analysis to see when it is best for you.
Posted By: Sharecropper Re: S.S. statements? - 08/12/18
Hiker,
I never stated I would continue working, I'm very familiar with rule of 72.
In my mind, $2766 vs $ 2433 is a rounding error and is in fact close to a double. On your best day/year I'll bet you dinner at a nice restaurant with drinks, you can't duplicate that rate of return in a moderate risk level with is suitable for 95% of this country over a 8 year period. And I take zero risk to get my return. So you take your check, invest it even 60/40, after taxes & fees I'll beat you over 90% of the time. And I'm going back to 1900, you'll have 11 full decades to make your magic. I'll be waiting.
Hiker,
I never stated I would continue working, I'm very familiar with rule of 72.
In my mind, $2766 vs $ 2433 is a rounding error and is in fact close to a double. On your best day/year I'll bet you dinner at a nice restaurant with drinks, you can't duplicate that rate of return in a moderate risk level with is suitable for 95% of this country over a 8 year period. And I take zero risk to get my return. So you take your check, invest it even 60/40, after taxes & fees I'll beat you over 90% of the time. And I'm going back to 1900, you'll have 11 full decades to make your magic. I'll be waiting.
Ray,
As usual you have a level headed answer, there is definitely a best strategy for everyone and deserves to be vetted throughly. Most cities have multiple events held annually for the citizens to meet face to face with a qualified person to go over the options. If any Campfire members use BlackRock or most major fund Company's have a white paper on the subject and several have calculator's specifically for the calculation. Hope all is well with your family.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: S.S. statements? - 08/12/18
Sharecropper, have you been reading about they'll have to start cutting benefits in the next 15 years? That will have a great effect on distributions. BTW, I'm currently at 70/30 and plan to stay that way for the foreseeable future. BTW #2-why do you have so many double posts. BTW #3 That is much more than a rounding error. But, you do it your way and I'll do it mine. My wife and I will be living on a six figure retirement.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: S.S. statements? - 08/12/18

LOL, another reason I've never banked/relied on it as part of my retirement plan, may not even sign up for the chitt when the time comes.

Or sign up for it and have it sent monthly to St. Judes. smile
Posted By: ingwe Re: S.S. statements? - 08/12/18
Originally Posted by gunner500

LOL, another reason I've never banked/relied on it as part of my retirement plan, may not even sign up for the chitt when the time comes.

Or sign up for it and have it sent monthly to St. Judes. smile

Gunner: sign up for it!

I don't care if you get a statement or not...after all the money the Govt. has taken from you its almost a shock to see them sending YOU money...

But shocked in a GOOD way...
Posted By: gunner500 Re: S.S. statements? - 08/12/18
10-foe 'Gwe. I'll just have em send it to Jude.
Posted By: hanco Re: S.S. statements? - 08/12/18
I’m taking mine next March at 66. I might work another year, maybe?
Posted By: SandBilly Re: S.S. statements? - 08/12/18
Everyone needs beer money..
Posted By: ro1459 Re: S.S. statements? - 08/12/18
They are in fact saying that cuts will be coming, however, the reason I believe that this is just empty rhetoric, is multi faceted. First, they have been saying the same thing for many years and nothing has changed. Second, our government used the funds, contributed by individual Americans and corporations, found in the SS account for other programs with a promise to pay those funds back at a specified rate in the future. That rate did not and does not match the actual interest rates that could have been achieved had they just left the funds intact. And more importantly, they never followed through with refunding the SS funds they borrowed, except with additional promises. So to reduce payments to already established recipients, they will have to provide an explanation far greater that "we can no longer afford to honor our agreement with our own citizens." To get Americans to accept those cuts is something that I personally want to see and hear. Third, our government would have to explain to their own parents, friends and extended family why they are going to continue providing money to other countries and illegal aliens at a rate higher than the amount of the current deficit in SS and at the same time cut funding in the SS program. Can you imagine our government officials standing up there saying we are going to continue to give Billions of your money away to governments and illegal aliens that are unfriendly to America and we are at the same time going to cut funding to our elderly. No politician is going to do that, especially since doing so would put 35% of older Americans into poverty. (AARP) Finally, (and I am sure others here can give many more reasons why this promise to Americas older citizens is not going to be broken,) should they cut funding to a guaranteed program like SS it would send so many Americans into such a dire financial situation that I believe there would actually be a revolution and the end of the United States as we know it, if not completely. Do I believe those of us that are in their 40's are going to see full benefits from SS...not a chance in this world. But I find it hard if not impossible to believe that there is any way they will actually cut benefits to already established recipients. According to the AARP "The Social Security trust funds have accumulated more than $2.6 trillion in assets, and their value is estimated to peak at $3.7 trillion in 2022. After that year, the trust funds assets will begin to be drawn down in order to pay full benefits. Beginning in 2036, according to the Social Security trustees, the Social Security trust funds will be exhausted. Without any changes, Social Security taxes (primarily payroll taxes) still will be enough to pay 76 percent of scheduled benefits in 2037 and 74 percent of scheduled benefits in 2085. So I will continue to believe those of us already receiving SS benefits will continue to receive them.
Posted By: Sharecropper Re: S.S. statements? - 08/13/18
Hiker,
No sir, I haven't heard of the new talk of winding down payouts over the nest 15 years. I have heard the chatter of no $ left for many years.
Short answer on double post, I'm a tech idiot! Use to be when I posted, it would take me right back to topic, now I guess I have to hit back arrow.
I don't feel a $233 difference is significant.
I'm very happy you have earned the right to a enjoyable retirement.
I hope your 70% is placed in Dividend Growrh equity's, and you own then individually. It's the only chance to keep our purchasing power vs. inflation.
Thanks for your input and have a good week.
Posted By: shaman Re: S.S. statements? - 08/13/18
To the O.P.: Be ready for some surprises when you contact SS. I went through exactly the same situation six months ago. I found I couldn't sign up to the website. I called to find out. It turned out they had a mountain of innacuracies in my records. Things like birth date, place of birth, and all that were AFU. The didn't even know I was a citizen. I was told to come in with all my paperwork and get it fixed. Yikes. I'm glad I didn't start asking about this until I needed a check.

The reason given was keypunch errors when the paper records were transcribed back in the 70's. Back then, if my memory serves, the way to do it was to give the records to two separate keypunchers and then sort out the records that weren't typed exactly the same for scrutiny. It worked most of the time, but obviously not here.

To CrazyDog: I didn't know you before you started posting on this thread. Hmmmm. 44 posts and most of them bashing Trump on threads that have nothing to do with Trump-- like this one. You get the shamanic ignore just about quicker than anyone before.

To the rest: Is it just me, or are the current crop of trolls sounding more strident? I smell panic in their posts, n'est pas?
Posted By: Crazydog Re: S.S. statements? - 08/13/18
Yup just keep hiding your heads in the sand and hope the mess trump is creating just disappears.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: S.S. statements? - 08/13/18
Folks here, overall, seems to have their plans in place. That’s good as so many do not.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: S.S. statements? - 08/13/18
And just what the hell does Trump have to do with SS statements? Ignorant fugging troll.
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: S.S. statements? - 08/14/18
The ANTIFA egg-suckers threatened to kill President Trump and the Secret Service finally opened an investigation of the domestic terror group, ANTIFA.

I hope the guilty snowflakes get sent to a maximum security federal prison, and become prison bitches. They'll never make another fart sound as long as they live.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: S.S. statements? - 08/14/18
Yup just keep hiding your heads in the sand and hope the mess trump is creating just disappears.

Tell you what, Crazy. Give us an example of a law you think Trump has broken. The USC code number, whatever. Just one.

If you can, we'll listen to you.

If not, sit down and shut up.

Trump was sued by Larry Tribe for violating the emoluments clause but the judge dismissed the case, so that one doesn't apply.
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: S.S. statements? - 08/14/18
Why Smart People Take Socil Security at Age 62
Posted By: KFWA Re: S.S. statements? - 08/14/18

interesting read but I can't imagine there will be many people that start taking SS at age 62 and invest it

quite frankly with the financial situation the government finds itself in , I'm surprised a person can even get SS at the age of 62. I bet that won't be a reality when I get there.

As someone said earlier, means testing will be the norm at some point regardless of what you were "promised" when your money was taken and people like Bernie Sanders think I'm a wealthy person.
Posted By: Armednfree Re: S.S. statements? - 08/14/18
I don't understand how it works for me. I have 15 years contribution to S.S. The estimator says I would get $872 at 66 years and 10 months, full retirement. I'm told that i I wait until that full retirement age my state pension would not offset that. I have no idea what it would be had I stayed in the private sector all these years, or if what S.S. is saying is accurate.

Contrary to what some believe in Ohio I do not pay Social Security nor does the state. Only the medicare part. So I only get what I've paid in for outside my state service. Prior to it, or a second job.
Posted By: KFWA Re: S.S. statements? - 08/14/18
My wife is a school teacher and she hasn't paid into SS for the last 8 years. Supposedly she has a pension which I'm sure is underfunded and bloated with retirees.

But she's worked for a good 10 years or so before we were married and paid into SS. She was getting those letters in the mail awhile back saying how much she'd get at retirement.

I should probably look into how all that works and be prepared for it. I'd hate to think her pension is the difference between meatloaf for dinner and dog food when we retire. Damn, I shoulda married a woman 15 years younger than me.

Posted By: Armednfree Re: S.S. statements? - 08/14/18
I really don't know how STRS and OPERS compare. But I imagine it will become 65/32 for full benefits before too much longer.

Except for cops, cops are special. They retire at 20-25 years and then come back and take a second OPERS paying job since they are only in their 50's. Double dipping we call it. Of course my classification, corrections officer, is the single biggest classification in the state. We tend to die before we retire or not long after. OPERS is counting on that so there is no way we would be classified as LE.
© 24hourcampfire